April 18, 2014 | 1053 users online

Mascara - Maybelline - Great Lash - Pop of Purple (LE)

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by uncontrolled

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been looking for a purple mascara for years only to end up disappointed. Well this mascara was no different. The color barely show up on my lashes. It might show on your lashes if you have blond lashes but if you have dark lashes it will be barely noticeable. The brush isn't the greatest either, very skinny and doesn't separate lashes. Save your money. I do not recommend it and will not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2012 5:34:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Maybelline released four limited edition colors of their classic Great Lash Mascara: Blink of Blue, Go Go Green, Pop of Purple, and Totally Teal. According to some sources these brightly colored mascaras were only supposed to be available in the month of August, but that's horribly inaccurate. I bought my tube in September and have seen fully stocked displays just a few days ago. Maybelline doesn't offer any info on the colored Great Lash line, so I'm just gonna pull some info from their website's page about the regular washable formula. Great Lash is supposedly America's favorite mascara, I'm pretty sure everyone has had at least one tube. Great Lash Curved was my go to for years. This mascara has a "lash doubling formula that glides on smoothly to build great looking lashes". That's really convenient considering this mascara also comes with a "lash building brush that makes it easy to get a full lash look without clumps or globs". Maybelline's Great Lash formula is hypoallergenic and safe for contact lense wearers. I bought my .43fl oz (12.7ml) tube of Great Lash in Pop of Purple (after much debate!) at Target. I paid just $3.44 with a coupon. I've seen these limited edition mascaras selling for between $3.80 and $5.20 in my area. Maybelline does test on animals, unfortunately. Maybelline makes no mention of where this mascara was made.
Packaging for the special, limited edition line isn't too different from the classic square pink tube with green cap. The only real difference is a purple band around the bottom of the tube with the shade name on it. I'm not going into any more detail because we've all seen a tube of Great Lash. The brush is also something we're all familiar with. In my opinion the Great Lash brush is a fail, it's what keeps Great Lash from actually being great. This brush is practically a generic spooly, except even smaller. The brush is less than an inch long and pretty thin. The traditional bristles are short, close together and spiral around the wand. I hate spiraled wands like this because there's almost always big gaps that make separation impossible. This brush doesn't hold a lot of product on it though, which is great. Before I go on, I want to mention one thing that's never happened to me before. The stopped that cleans off the brush popped out of the tube. It was a complete and utter mess. So much product came out! I popped it back in but I fear it will happen again. At least I know I'm getting a super full tube. I'm not going to count this against the product though, because this was probably a total fluke, not a design flaw.
The color of Pop of Purple is a dull, greyed purple that's much darker than it looks on the brush. This mascara is fairly pigmented but unfortunately the color is nearly undetectable on the lashes. Do I literally get a Pop of Purple? No. Not at all. Pop of Purple looks like a plain old black mascara, or more honestly, a dark dull grey. No matter my application method, the colro does not show up. I've tried it on bare lashes, over a white primer, over black mascara. No it doesn't even show a little, except on the very tips of the bottom lashes. I've even tried to enhance the color with purple eyeshadow and eyeliner to no avail. So much disappointment.
Ok so Pop of Purple isn't very purple, but is it a good mascara? Heck no at all! Why did I used to like this stuff? Yeah, it doesn't clump as promised but it doesn't really do anything either. I get zero added length, no separation and just a tad of volume. This mascara actually straightens my lashes a lot. Not cute. Even worse, Great Lash Pop of Purple flakes, a lot. The flakes get in my eyes and irritate them. It also smudges on my glasses and is really hard to clean off. This mascara is rage inducing.
Maybelline is probably going to start doing away with this limited edition line. Don't feel bad if you didn't grab one, you're not missing out. I haven't heard much good about it, no matter what the color. I'm probably just going to toss my tube of Great Lash Pop of Purple after this post goes up. I only recommend this mascara if you already really like the Great Lash formula and have light lashes, otherwise you're wasting your money.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/21/2012 3:09:00 PM More reviews by Frecklez

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

UGH!!! I checked other Original Great Lash reviews and decided to get a bottle for 5 dollars because my mother forgot the cpupon and I really wanted one for my school's orientation. It SUCKED. It DIDN'T show up on my brown lashes. I should have gotten a Cover Girl or other kind instead. I was so excited because Hard Candy makes my eyes watery. But this is EXTREMELY clumpy and tends to rub off on the lower lash line. If you have dark lashes I suggest you DO NOT buy this product. Worse, I got it at Target. I can not get a refund there, even though I think if I bought it at Rite Aid I could. I am very disappointed. What a waste of 5 dollars.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/9/2012 7:48:00 PM More reviews by nabila714

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

If you have dark lashes then this is a waste...doesn't show up at all.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2012 6:56:00 PM More reviews by darkeyedfran

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this product because it reminds me of the benefit bad gal plum mascara! I hate hate hate the formula of bad gal lash....it clumped my lashes horribly no matter what i did, so this was a breath of fresh air. The great lash formula is buildable, it's a very natural looking product and does not offer a lot in terms of volume but with around 3 coats i'm more than satisfied in the length department! for added volume I go through with a makeshift lash comb that I created out of a clean revlon wand (it works wonders!). The purple is less harsh than black and really brings out more of the reddish tones in my dark brown eyes. I really like the effect because its subtle in regular light and it shows more vibrant in sunlight. This looks like a pure purple straight out of the tube, but it dries down to a darkened plum purple that is simply drop dead gorgeous. My lashes are a light brown, so the color is noticeable up close and it looks almost like a brown mascara from far away. Since this is limited edition, I will be picking up several tubes of backups. I was not looking for a severe color, I am a Catholic school teacher and I would look very out of place with bright purple lashes...i'm also not a teenager...overall this is a great basic mascara that is a twist from an everyday mascara.