Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

3.8

Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Legit I wanted to like it. But as soon as I applied this product to my face, I couldn't help but notice how cakey it felt and looked. I tried every method to apply this product that I knew of, and nothing could downplay the look. Once putting your powder overtop, it made me look like a clown, the pigment turned orange & it looked extremely patchy. Not a fan and even though I tried to be, I returned quickly after buying.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I tried so hard to like this foundation, but it was so cakey and turned orange as it wore. This is not a good foundation for combo skin

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

After getting a sample that lasted a good week I decided to purchase the full product for $35 at Sephora in Deep 71 -deep to golden complexion with caramel undertone (Sephora color IQ# 1y12)

According to the Sephora website the Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo foundation is:
"A high-pigment foundation for full coverage that leaves a long-lasting, beautiful finish."

Also claims to have (for deep 71):
Optical Diffusers: Treated pigments visually minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while increasing luminosity on the skin.

For the most part, I have to agree, it is very pigmented. My skin does look luminous (not shiny, just brighter) but It DOES look like I'm wearing foundation. Truly, a little goes a long way. And this foundation compared to my others actually does minimize the tiny fine lines I am starting to get in the corners of my eyes (gasp). And it's definitely long lasting. It's marketed as a 24 hour foundation and I would say it comes closer than the other ones that I've tried.

Applicator: Easy Pump Bottle that lets you see how much product you're using.

Coverage: Full (There's no "No-Makeup Makeup" possibilities here.)

Texture: Creamy Liquid (not runny, it's on the thicker side)

Finish: Matte Matte Matte Baby

My Skintype: Combo/oily (Oily Tzone)

Price: $35 (High-end)

My application: gel Moisturizer, silicone based primer (really important to match primer ingredients with your foundation ingredients ladies especially with this product). I use my Studio Finish pure orange corrector for some hyperpigmentation and under my eyes then I dot the foundation on my face, building up layers if needed and using my Real Techniques brush I buff it in there. I start on one side of my face or the center because it dries fast.

Note: The beauty blender is my usual go-to foundation applicator however I found it to be utterly useless for this product. It doesn't let you really buff it into the skin, and this foundation needs to be "blended". Otherwise you'll end up with splotchy, streaky lines. Or just separation I think the dampness from the beauty blender is a no-go for this silicone based foundation in my opinion. Just doesn't set right. But my Beauty Blender is $20 so a girl had to try, right? I'd recommend a brush.

The debate... Everyday Use vs. Special Occasion Foundation?

Depends. It's very full coverage. Some people don't like that. I find I have to use a lot less concealer with this foundation so that's a plus in my book. It doesn't feel heavy in my opinion, not for winter anyway. I live in Vegas, so summers are hot and humid but its perfect for my winter foundation.
Its a full coverage foundation, so you should expect it to be just that. In my opinion most TRUE Full Coverage foundations don't look super natural unless you can find your right PERFECT shade. This is no different. And since it is full coverage, the color needs to be ON POINT unless you plan on using a powder with some color in it (like me) or doing some magic contouring.

Pros:
-Full Coverage
-Longlasting
- No Parabens or Synthetic Fragrances
-Controls Shine
--Little to no transfer (I'm brown, so yeah, it's gonna transfer SOME but nothing worth taking note of.)

Cons:
-Only 3-4 shades for woc (if you're brown skinned. Deep 66 is kind of light brown shade with beige-y undertones)
-Deep 71 does lean slightly toward the orangey undertone even though it says yellow. Slightly, but nothing my yellow based pressed powder can't fix. And not as bad as MAC foundations.
-If you have dry skin it will accentuate any dry patches
-Can look "masky" if not blended well
-Can't use with my beauty blender :( (for optimal results)

Originally I purchased this foundation towards the end of summer and I thought it was, eh. I think the color was just a little off. Turns out its kind of perfect for my winter color and I really like it.

Overall, I think this product is worth $35. It's an average high end department store price. But this foundation is anything BUT average. I can honestly say if you can find your shade and you like full coverage foundation, this is worth a shot especially if you have combo/oily skin. If you don't want to part with your beauty blender you may not love it as much. Also if you have dry skin, unless you moisturize your face REALLY well, you may or not like this foundation. I would repurchase it.

Let me start off by saying I have very dry acne prone skin and this foundation dose no justice ! I hate it I returned it after 3 days of trying different methods of wearing it. It delivers great coverage but it looks SUPPPERRR CAKEY ! And it oxidized on me, by the end of the day I looked like a orange cake face. Super thick formula even just wearing it is so uncomfortable

I love this foundation. When applied with a brush it is the fullest coverage I've found without looking ridiculous. When applied with a wet sponge it looks full coverage but natural and is my face way to wear it. When mixed with a drop of oil it is dewy and sheers to a medium. I have dry skin and I still love it, however if I'm going to apply it with a brush I like to do some extra moisturizing first!

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

This foundation is incredible!

I usually stay away from any product "created" by a celebrity, but I was desperate for a full coverage foundation. Something to make me look flawless. Something to hide my spots, pores and just even everything out. This foundation is part of a line that is supposed to 'blur' out tattoos, so why not terrible skin?

I have loved my MatchMaster by MAC. It is a fabulous foundation, but I find it does not always agree with my skin. I save it for a special occasion because I find if I wear it all the time, I would have even more skin issues.

I was in Sephora looking at foundations and was told about my options and what would make my skin happy.

One of said options was the Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation.

Now like I said earlier, I was hesitant. I was leaning more so towards the Make Up Forever HD. I didn't want to spend nearly $45CDN on something because it was 'created' by someone famous.

I eventually let the sales girl talk me into applying it on my face. Just to give me an idea of how it sits on my skin.

Well. I was pleasantly surprised. It looked very nice and I was flawless. No need for concealer when using this bad boy!

The colour selection is incredible too. So many options to choose from which is perfect for those who have hard to match skin. I was matched with #44 Light with Beige undertones. It is perfect.

When I have very long haul flights to work, this is always my go to foundation. It stays on quite nicely and I don't have to worry about it shifting or melting off. It goes on matte and makes your skin look like velvet. I do find though, after about 8 hours, that if you are prone to oily skin, you will start to see some shine; so just keep some pressed powder on standby.

It also states that this won't transfer, and I do agree with that. I wear a navy blue neck scarf with my uniform and never see any foundation streaks after a long day.

Breakouts are not an issue. But be sure to have a good makeup remove to take it off or I am sure it can cause some unwanted skin visitors.

I highly recommend this for anyone who wants velvet smooth looking skin, that wont melt off after 2 hours.

wow i had high hopes for this foundation. it took me days to decide on a shade as am no where near the Sephora store so had to purchase online. really wish i hadn't wasted so much time. This has got to be the worst foundation i have tried. used a bit less than one pump, the product slid off my nose a few minutes after leaving the house. then to my horror i could see my pores peering through! i looked horrendous but powered on sheepishly through the work day. caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror that afternoon and i looked like a slimy oily mess. i moisturized and used a primer too. so disappointing because the packaging is great.. . never again!

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I think this is an okay full coverage foundation. It can be really thick and cakey if you are not careful. I apply a thin layer with a damp beauty blender (less than a full pump) and that really helps with smoothing it out and not layering too much. This foundation really needs a good base, which means supple, moisturized skin. If you have dry patches, it will show. Dry skin overall may not like this foundation because it is matte and clings to any texture the skin. Of course it works like a dream over the featherweight primer! It covers redness, dark spots, and smaller acne very well. It will seriously give you a flat face. One layer is all you need.The lasting powder is decent. I can go through an 8 hour workday and a workout to see there is still some foundation left. Overall, this is an okay foundation. I'm still not sure yet whether I'd repurchase because it doesn't appear quite as smooth as some of my other foundations.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have only used this product a few times, and currently feel indifferent about it. I have very oily skin and somewhat severe acne, so I wanted a full coverage foundation. The Kat Von D 'Lock-It foundation' is full coverage and has buildable coverage (however I find that 1 layer can cover my skin relatively well and still remain full coverage). Because my skin is so oily, liquid foundations appears so "melt" off my face within a few hours after application (even with setting powder), and has a tendency to look very oily. This foundation is the very first foundation I have ever tried that has not appeared extremely oily within the first few hours of application. However, I have noticed that it wipes off my face very easily once my skin does start to show signs of oiliness/shine. This foundation is $49.00 in Australia at Sephora. I will not be repurchasing this foundation, because I have a feeling that my current bottle will last me a while. I recommend this foundation to those who may have slightly oily skin and want a longer lasting full coverage foundation.

Pros:
- comes in a wide range of shades
- full coverage
- good for oily skin, but not the greatest foundation for it either
- stays matte for a good few hours after application
- pump bottle, cute packaging
- did not break me out

Cons:
- has an odd plastic-like scent
- after a few hours, makeup seems to rub off
- feels a bit sticky while applying

I tried everything to make this foundation work for me and it just didn't. It creased, caked, and just looked horrible. The thing that's most upsetting to me is that she did a campaign with this make up covering all her tattoos and she still sells this like she doesn't know how tacky and thick and gross it is. Not worth it and hope I can save someone the money.

Video Reviews & Tutorials