January 26, 2015 | 940 users online

Liquid - Kat Von D - Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2015 12:01:00 PM More reviews by Chloeluckin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am literally in love with this foundation! This is one of two foundations that I always go for for everyday use.
This is perfect for when I have breakouts that are very red and my other foudation a would not cover. I don't even need to have a concealer with this foundation as it very thick and full coverage!
It did take me a few tries to be able to apply it without making it look cakey or blotchy, but I've now found my prefect way.
I have normal-dry skin with an oily forehead, so I use an oil free moisturiser for my head, and a thick moisturiser for the rest of my face and it works very well.

I have it 4 stars because it didn't control the oil on my head, and came off after a few hours only on my head, and the rest of my face was completely matte. Even using my rimmel stay matte powder didn't completely keep my oil at bay.

Saying this, it gives me a completely flawless finish (several people have told me my skin looks like a porcelain doll) and completely covers all of my acne and redness.
I love it :)

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2015 8:54:00 PM More reviews by ginandjuice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

About my skin: oily, fair (neutral leaning yellow), not sensitive, not very acne prone. My MAC shade is NC15. Lots of broken capillaries on my cheeks and overall blotchy redness. Medium/large pores on my nose towards my cheeks. I got the shade Light 45 in this. I'd say it's neutral with some yellow undertones, so if your more neutral light, don't let the "yellow undertones" description throw you off. I've not had any oxidation wearing this.

When they say this foundation is full coverage, they mean full coverage. I do not need a concealer with this at all. BUT it does not look cakey or fake, just as long as you don't wear too much. 1 pump is enough for your *entire* face. It is extremely pigmented. Having said that you need to get matched to your shade as close as possible.

Even though it's full coverage, I don't feel it on my skin at all. It doesn't look or feel like a mask. When I touch my skin I don't feel it on my skin. I've noticed no color transfer. The finish is more a satin than a full on matte.

The only issue I have with it, it doesn't control oil as well as I thought it would. Revlon Colorstay Whipped/regular did a much better job with oil control. Doing the "Goss method", I didn't have to blot with Colorstay, but I do have to blot/re-powder with KVD. But Colorstay didn't cover up my broken capillaries as much as I wanted, at all. They were still very visable and I'd have to use a green concealer, then regular concealer, THEN foundation to cover it all up. So that is the tradeoff. Lock-It, is a one coat covers all at once.

So if your oily skin, don't expect this to provide excellent oil control. This is the only reason I gave it 4 lippies instead of 5.

It's a thick foundation, but it's surprisingly easy to work with. I do one section at a time though because it's fairly fast drying (which I like). I've applied it with both a beauty blender and a stippling brush. I think both do a good job - the BB might sheer it out a bit more? You can actually blend this in pretty good with your fingers because it spreads easily.

Would I re-buy this? Yes. I love the coverage and the feel of this foundation! I've never had a foundation provide this much awesome coverage!

I think the price is on point. You use literally 1 pump and it does last all day (since blotting papers don't remove any of the makeup). So I can see this bottle lasting a long time and I wear this about 5-7 days a week.

Foundation is one of the makeup items I don't mind paying for because if your foundation looks bad, everything else looks bad.

Edit: I used this today with my Urban Decay De-slick mattifying powder and this foundation stayed 100% oil free all day! Got up at 5am and it's now almost 7pm and it's still going strong :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/19/2015 10:18:00 AM More reviews by BlueSeaHorse

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this foundation because it makes your skin looks flawless and it covers a lot without making your face look caked up.

With that being said, I think the Revlon Colorstay does a very similar job so if you can't afford the Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation try the Revlon Colorstay.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2015 1:57:00 AM More reviews by ReviewNinjaRN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this foundation in the shade Light 48, which is a perfect match. This foundation is very high coverage and a little bit goes a LONG way.
APPLICATION:
I only apply this with a beautyblender. The formula is so incredibly thick that I can't even imagine trying to blend it out with my fingers or with a brush.
LONGEVITY/OIL CONTROL:
I've worn this foundation for at least 12-15 hrs (I work 12 hr shifts) and can say that as far as oil control, I have to blot at least once through my shift and/or powder. As for the lasting power, it does fade a tiny bit in my most oily areas (sides of the nose and between brows), but nothing terrible.
PACKAGING/PRICE/FINISH
This comes in a pump that pushes the product up from the bottom, making it very hygienic. Also the black tattoo motif = totally dig it.
This foundation is $34, which I actually find to be a reasonable price, as the foundation will last you forever.
This dries down to a matte finish, which I love because I'm so oily, but it only lasts about 5-6 hrs, at which point I have to take care of business.
OVERALL:
I like using this foundation when I have to go to an event, only because it is so high coverage and definitely looks like you have foundation on. Overapplying this foundation = serious cake-face (for serious - been there, done that).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2015 9:33:00 PM More reviews by Barbiedollnurse

I was a Max Factor pan stick med. beige 129 girl for 23 years & received daily compliments on how beautiful my skin/face was. When Max left the US market , I switched to Mac (less compliments & was not not quite right for me ) Now.....I think Kat Von D is going to bring me back to beautiful with her new foundation. It is amazing , stays on all day ( and I am the nurse that looks like "Barbie" wearing surgical mask at times and need extreme wear for my day) I also have a skin pigment condition that this covers perfectly on my neck. Please, everybody go buy this so she will keep making it for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/8/2015 4:38:00 PM More reviews by AlexisTarantino

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love Kat's products. Her lipsticks are amazing, her eyeliners are long lasting and this foundation is perfect.

It takes me 2 small pumps of this to cover my whole face with a brush. It's not cakey or drying and for me it lasts all day. I have trouble with redness in my T-Zone so I try my best with concealers but with this foundation I didn't need one! The name gives away the quality of the formula which is a good quality.

It cost me $34 at Sephora for 1oz of this which is really disappointing because the only time I get to really but expensive makeup is when I get a gift card at Christmas. So for that I have to say even though I really really like this foundation, I wouldn't buy it again with my own money.

The packaging is 50%Cute %50Punk and I love the bottled so much I'll probably keep it.

All in all- great formula, expensive price and cute packaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2014 12:57:00 PM More reviews by Minermanswife

I received this as a Christmas gift, I got a med. 52 and it's to light. .but I just mix it with a darker type lightweight foundation. .and it looks just fine. I love that it last all day and you only need a small amount! wish I could give it 5 stars!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2014 4:09:00 PM More reviews by goddessofthegalaxy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

For my very first high end foundation; I feel like my search is over forever!!! My skin so oily which leads to multiple touch ups daily it was ridiculous! Even with primer and everything! I would always try new products an at first they would do well and then turn out like the rest. This foundation is my holy grail!!! At first I felt like I wasted $36 because I applied it with my fingers and it looked so cakey and fake! After watching a YouTube tutorial of Kat Von D applying it with a brush in a stippling motion and after applying a moisturizing serum primer I did the same and the results were unbelievable! My skin like so flawless with only one pump! The coverage is truly full! It looks so perfect and beautiful! The finish is matte and I don't look fake. I bought shade 46 and it matches my skin perfectly. I'm so thankful that it dispenses through a pump because it creates a fast and mess free application process. The packaging is respectable but I don't see the need for the double plastic container but I love it! I don't see myself switching foundations for a very long time. Possibly forever. It doesn't have a bad chemical smell, my skin stays matte and flawless all day AND this is foundation doesn't cause a bad skin reaction. In this case you definitely get what you pay for and I'm so happy I decided on this foundation as my very first high end purchase I love it so much!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2014 8:25:00 PM More reviews by xo20

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Being my first high end foundation, I had pretty high hopes for this little guy. Safe to say I'm not disappointed! I bought both M52 and M54 not knowing which fit me best- (52 is lighter, very yellow, 54 is a bit tanner yet still yellow). I'm still figuring out my fav application tool, but once the product is on my face I'm in love. Actually surprised how light it feels on my oily skin. Don't let the full coverage label scare you ladies! It can be built up to very full, or sheered to medium depending how you apply it. Only downside to me is I go about an hour/hour and a half and I need to touch up my tzone. The packaging is also to die for! Very pleased

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2014 3:25:00 PM More reviews by sydnisteeze

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I first started using this product, I was skeptical about buying it again because I felt it looked too cakey and had a lot of patchiness upon appliance, but come to find out, its all because I was using way too much and applying it all wrong. I was using my fingers, without primer and using about a pump and a half because I wanted full coverage (for my acne scars and discoloration). Lesson learned. Now I use a face primer (milk of magnesia for my very oily skin) and also a wet beauty blender and woila, flawless application. And you honestly only need one pump, just work it on your face quickly because it dries up fast. A little goes a long way ladies! This makeup provides amazing full coverage, it doesn't have any funky smell to it, the packaging is so cute, the texture is a little thick, but that's only because less is more in this situation. I think the price is worth it because it will last you a long time. Also, the pigmentation is outstanding. The first bottle I bought was too dark, I believe it was medium 45. I'm a MAC NC35 normally with yellow undertones, so this time I went with the light 45 and it matches perfectly. I don't need to touch up/blot throughout the day like I do with other foundations, this one will stay put and keep in mind, I have extremely oily skin. I love love love this product and would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a full coverage, matte foundation. Nothing but good things to say about this product! :)

P.S If you have dry, normal skin, I'd reccomend using a moisturizer before applying the foundation.