MAC Prep + Prime BB Beauty Balm SPF 35

3.6

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.40%, Octisalate 4.00%, Oxybenzone 2.50%, Titanium Dioxide 1.10%, Zinc Oxide 3.50% Other Ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Glyceryl Sterate, Behenyl Alcohol, Trioctyldodecyl Citrate, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Octyldodecyl Stearoyl Stearate, PEG-40 Stearate, Polyglyceryl-10 Pentastearate, Octyldodecyl Neopentanoate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Caffeine, Glycyrrhetinic Acid, Urea, Sodium Hyluronate, Squalane, Hordeum Vulgare (Barley) Extract,/Extrait D’orge, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Glycerin, Lecithin, Polyglyceryl-6 Polyricinoleate, Cholesterol, Trehalose, Sodium PCA, Oryzanol, Ammonium Acryloydimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Sucrose, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Xanthan Gum, Polyquaternium-51, Isopropyl Titanium Triisosterate, Silica, Aluminum Stearate, Linoleic Acid, Stearic Acid, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphensin, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica, Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

on 6/18/2015 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I usually don't like BB creams because they are too greasy. The "BB cream" moniker has become so trendy that every brand has one, and it may even become passe due to some companies developing "CC creams" and even "DD creams." We used to call them tinted moisturizers and the main difference is that BB's and CC's and someday ZZ's have more antioxidants, higher SPF factors, and sometimes contain other benefits that used to be reserved for skincare products.

PROS:

The tube packaging is my favorite for travel.

The SPF 35 is titanium dioxide, which is better for my skin than avobenzone, which some of the other BB creams use. My sensitive skin can really only handle mineral sunscreens.

I like the amount of coverage; it's enough that I can use it instead of foundation.

The price is $30 versus the higher prices I normally pay for department store foundation.

Does not fade or get oily and lasts for several hours (my skin type is combination, not super oily)

Does not break me out.

Natural-looking. Light Plus is my perfect shade and people compliment my skin when I wear this, so apparently it doesn't look like makeup.

Contains sodium hyaluronate which fills in fine lines and makes your skin look smoother. I look for this ingredient now.

Fragrance free

CONS:

I can't think of too many cons. It doesn't have the polished finish of Hourglass Immaculate Powder Foundation or Le Metier de Beaute Classic Flawless Finish foundation. The finish is that of a tinted moisturizer.

It is really best for normal skin, or skin that is slightly oily or slightly dry. It happens to look great on me with my combination skin, but there is a tendency to market products to all skin types and that simply isn't realistic.

on 5/12/2015 12:45:00 PM

This is more of a foundation than a BB cream really. The plus side is that it has spf 35 so it eliminates the need for sunscreen. Light to medium coverage. Perfect for everyday.

on 5/2/2015 10:00:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Being a solid MAC customer, I immediately purchased the Beauty Balm when it was released. Since I personally like light weight foundation I always opt of a BB/CC cream or my ultimate favourite the Studio Fix both in liquid and compact. For this Beauty Balm, I've purchased both the compact and liquid. The liquid being a matte finish for oily skin and the compact for dry skin. I got both because in Sydney the weather is ridiculous so sometimes my face is oily, sometimes extremely dry (perhaps also because of my psoriasis). In mentioning that, I always use organic products on my skin; in fear that chemicals will damage my super sensitive skin.

As of the compact, it comes with a round sponge applicator. I must admit that it's completely pointless. It acquires so much product and barely applies on the skin. I always use a stipling brush to apply the BB which saves a whole lot more product and also applies WAY better. However, the liquid one (despite the fact they both come in 40mL) lasts 10 times (okay a little exaggerated) more longer than the compact. A little bit goes a long way, you just need a peanut drop which shows a decent coverage.

I pair this with the Studio Fix foundation and always spray the Fix+ solution prior to application of ANY product when going clubbing or if I have a long day ahead of me. It lasts forever, I don't necessarily need to reapply. I think it's a good buy, cheaper than most of MAC's foundations and delivers a light to medium coverage. Perfect for day to day use if you only have a short amount of time you can dedicate to doing your make up.

Never been a fan of BB creams, nothing ever impressed me but I got a sample of this one and it works beautifully on my skin. I do have to moisturize a little more before applying it cause it is a little more matte than I expected, but the end result is even, natural, skin but better coverage. Great product.

on 3/28/2015 7:47:00 PM

Horrible product! I really hated this stuff! Did nothing for my skin what soever. Do not waste your money on this stuff!

on 3/28/2015 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I wanted to like this as i have just recently "discovered" MAC". However while the coverage is what I would expect from a BB cream and the color, light was fine, it felt sticky. The nice salesperson gave me a sample to try at home. I used it for the second time today and even a few hours later, I just didn't like the way it felt. My skin is on the dryer side and somewhat sensitive. A plus is I did not have a bad reaction.

PROS: Works okay as a primer, which is one of the things MAC says it can be. A definitely dewy finish, even when worn under foundation. If you have a good setting powder and wanted to use this as a primer, it could work. More color choices now (6 or 7) than there used to be. I am N15 (more neutral), and light plus was pefect for me. SPF 35.

CONS: The other things, besides priming, that MAC says this can do is to be worn alone. I disagree, unless you already have practically perfect skin. It makes my acne scars, red marks, and the slightest dryness to my skin stand out so badly. And although it has 6 or 7 different colors now, that's still pretty limited, especially for tone (like cool/warm.) And although I actually like a more dewy finish, this comes off SO easily. I can't emphasize that enough. I've worn a lot of foundations, TMs, etc., that don't practically melt off just sitting still. The price is quite high for a BB. The packaging doesn't allow the bottle to be stored standing on its own (the top is rounded).

ALTERNATES: I tried this because their TM is now discontinued, and the new version won't be out until early April 2015. (By the way, a different SA told me they are not making a new version at all. So who knows?) But for a primer, the texture would be comparable to Monistat chafing gel, except it has color. And the Monistat only costs about $6. But my makeup didn't last longer, like it does with the Monistat; in fact, it ran/transferred off my face much quicker.

I adore TheBalm TimeBalm tinted moisturizer, which is so kind to my wrinkles and pores and stays on much better than this.

APPLICATION TIPS: I use Covergirl Advanced Radiance Age-Defying powder (which is so kind to my wrinkles) after this product sets a bit to make it last longer.

on 2/26/2015 1:04:00 PM

I saw this in sephora one day and decided to give it a try once my bb cream at home ran out. It is definitely the most expensive bb cream I've gotten but it's pretty good. I use it mainly as a makeup base before applying powder foundation. The coverage is light to medium which doesn't bother me and it is quite long-lasting. It helps my makeup to stay on for most of the day. it's also a bonus that this comes with spf 35 which means I can cut out sunscreen. I like that you don't have to apply a lot to see results. The product also lasts for a long time. I've been using my first tube for more than a year and only just finishing it even though I already have my second tube ready and on standby. It's pricey but worth it.

on 2/10/2015 1:37:00 AM

Really disappointed with this product. I have dry skin and quite large pores on my nose and chin, which I always managed to cover quite well with Clinique foundations. But Clinique don't sell a shade light enough for my skin now so I went for this one. It just makes my pores look huge and just doesn't blend at all. I tried applying with a brush and with fingers but neither helped. I tried to put my Clinique Chubby Stick blusher on over it but it the BB cream just slid off! I definitely would not buy this one again. Shame as I love a lot of Mac products.

on 12/23/2014 11:20:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have been using this product for 5 years. This BB Cream was my first ever real make-up product and it's still part of my daily make-up to this day. This is my HG BB Cream, I adore it!
The texture is the perfect consistency and is easy to smooth onto the face. A little bit goes a long way! It provides a light/medium coverage, with a slightly dewy finish. It makes my skin look natural and flawless. It doesn't cake up and doesn't cause me to break out even though my skin has changed in the 5 years. I definitely recommend this BB Cream.
My only complaint is that I wish it were in a pump bottle. But I wish everything was in a pump bottle.