Lancome Effacernes Waterproof

4.5

on 4/19/2015 8:04:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This stuff is AMAZING. I've used correctors for a long time to try and hide my under eye circles. Everything I've ever used has creased and faded through the day and really caused me nothing but frustration. I purchased this through a blarg sale and I've used it every day since. I have it in Ivoire, which does a great job of covering and brightening on my N15/20 skin. This really is the best concealer I've tried and don't think I'll be straying. The tube is really large and you need such a small amount that it should last ages. The tiny nozzle on the tube is great for controlling how much product comes out. HG material for sure.

on 4/5/2015 11:49:00 AM

I've been searching for my hg concealer. I was about to fork over $60 on a different concealer so I'm so glad I found this gem. First, there are plenty of colors I almost couldn't choose! (It was between light bisque and the color the sales person chose for me which was porcelain, I got the bisque). Anyway, it looks fantastic, like you're not wearing anything! It blends perfectly over foundation too. I did have a good cry because of the book I was reading and it held up! I noticed someone below claimed only 4 colors, that's not the case anymore! Will repurchase!

on 3/30/2015 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I thought I knew what a good concealer consisted of...and then I found this. Now I can't live without it.

This is very creamy and moisturizing, so very good for people with dry under eye areas. The finish is demi-matte and application is smooth and even. I use my ring finger to pat just a little bit under my eyes, and even on my blemishes. Just don't cake it on because it will then settle in creases. Used sparingly, it stays put perfectly. The coverage is great and it doesn't fade or transfer.

I don't mind the steep price because so very little goes such a long way. Plus, the quality is totally worth it.

on 1/21/2015 6:54:00 PM

I purchased this concealer after reading some positive reviews. I have to say that I was underwhelmed by its performance. I found it not to be waterproof, even when used with a setting powder, and it irritated the skin around my eyes. The consistency is a bit heavy for my taste - it just didn't feel right on my skin. This concealer was not cheap and after using it a few times I feel that I wasted my money.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I am extremely porcelain-pale (NC-10 probably) with heriditary dark circles. I've tried many, many under-eye products (Bobbi Brown, Benefit, Clinique, Amazing, IT Cosmetics, Touche Eclat, MUFE, just to name a few) and I have to say I'm impressed with Lancome Effacernes.
First, the color selection is excellent - if you're very fair you have 2 options, Ivorie and Porcelain I. Ivorie has a yellow undertone and Porcelain I has a pinker undertone. Sephora doesn't carry all of the colors, but a department store like Macy's will.

I layer my under-eye products so texture and wearability are very important to me. This stuff has the smoothest, most natural-looking texture (it's not heavy, gloopy or cakey) and it's very easy to work with. If you happen to use too much it can, like anything, settle in fine lines but will easily be smoothed out. And once you smooth it out, it stays that way.
It's not oil-free but it's not greasy or slimy like Bobbi Brown or Benefit. Does not migrate around on your face and doesn't interfere with eye makeup on the lower lash line. It doesn't dry out as the day goes on.

I've been using it for about 2 months now and I'm pretty sure it doesn't get any better than this for under-eye.. Depending on how intense your circles are, you still *may* need a corrector underneath. If you are a chronic-hereditary-dark-circle-sufferer, you already know there isn't one magical unicorn product out there that will solve them all on it's own. I was ready to throw in the towel and give up, but I'm so glad I tried this.

on 11/18/2014 1:58:00 AM

This has become my HG concealer.

Pros:
- I'm extremely fair and it's one of the only concealers to come in a shade (porcelain) light enough to actually look good on me
- Great packaging, easy to get extra back into the tube if you accidentally squeeze too much out, and when you're finished and can't possibly get any more out, you can cut the top off the tube and get the rest out ;)
- Covers well, blends really easily with my finger, and doesn't cake or anything like some do

Cons:
- It's a little pricey, but it lasts quite a long time since you don't need much compared to a lot of the cheaper brands.

***Update***
This is my third tube of this and I've tried others in between. I keep coming back to this one.
*I can't really comment on the waterproof though. I haven't really put that to the test yet.

Will purchase again.

***Update update***
Just thought I would add that in 2015 I'm still re-purchasing. I'm 31 now and I take care to pat it on rather than smudge, and it's in the top concealers for not accentuating my developing fine lines :)

on 10/9/2014 6:16:00 PM

HOLY MOLY, I LOVE THIS STUFF. I have very dry undereyes that make concealers look cakey and dry and just overall unpleasant to look at so I have to use concealers with a certain consistency and this is it! A little goes a long way, it covers beautifully and looks great! I do find that it isn't the longest wearing concealer, but I don't mind reapplying because no matter how much you put on (even after powder!) This stuff still looks great. I cannot recommend this enough!

on 7/22/2014 2:17:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

(This review is cross-posted from the plain/non-waterproof Effacernes listing, which is really the same product, just pictured in their older tube. What I've used has always been waterproof - this separate waterproof entry wasn't here when I first posted about the product)

UPDATE: They've recently added some additional shades, and I found one that's about perfect for me, so I'm loving it even more! I've strayed at times using both Meow powder mineral foundation and Illuminare cream mineral foundation, but at least for now, I'm back to Effacernes, even using it as an actual undereye concealer these days! :)

NOTE: Long after posting this, I saw a few comments about it seeming to separate or weep oil. I have had it do that in a color that I hadn't used in a while. The liquid that's separated doesn't feel at all oily, though. I've found if I gently squeeze some air out of the tube, put the lid back on then massage the tube, it takes care of the 'problem'. It doesn't at all affect it's effectiveness for me. I even have tube in a make-up bag in my car's glove compartment that I've done this with, and it's fine, despite temperature extremes of the car. Oh, and I see some recommending against using it with acne. I use it on mine all the time - yes, even at 57, I still get acne - and it doesn't worsen it in any way. It just helps cover and blend it away until it's really gone. Again, what some are calling oil when it separates, is not in the least oily, as you'll see if you'll actually feel some of the liquid that seeps out. I know some of my older tubes actually say it's oil-free, and I don't see anything in the current ingredient list that looks like an oil, though I'm no chemist and admit I might not recognize an oil from it's chemical name. Regardless, even if it contains some, it causes me no problems, though I still have quite oily skin.

This is my HG concealer/foundation that I always come back to. I'm 51 [now 58 in 2014, and still using it - more consistently than ever, in fact], combination skin, melasma and brown sun spots, broken capillaries, rosacea, sebhorreic dermatitis, and folliculitis on my chin, and this has basically become my foundation, camouflaging the aforementioned maladies better than anything else I've found - and I've tried about everything in every price range in the stores and on the internet. Strangely, the thing I like it for the least is as an undereye concealer - go figure! I still use something else for that, though I've never found a HG and keep trying different things.

Anyway, it covers well, looks more natural than other concealers and foundations, wears well, is pretty waterproof, and a little goes a long way. It is matte but not dry looking. So, although a tube costs ~$25, I only use 3-4 tubes a year, despite using it every day. I order it from the Lancome website and pay no sales tax, and if the order is over $50 (I just order two tubes at a time), no shipping. I always receive good samples, too.

The only con is that there are only four shades. I use Clair II which is just a touch too dark in the winter yet Porcelain I is too light and doesn't cover as well on me.

I often have other women over 40 (I'm 51) ask me what kind of foundation I use. They're flabbergasted to find that I use this instead of any foundation.

If you do use foundation, apply this (as with most concealers) after the foundation, not before. With or without foundation, the trick is to gently pat it on, not rub it, with your own clean fingers. If you blend it well, there is no line of demarcation in either color or texture. I don't like it applied with a concealer brush, except maybe on undereye circles. No sponges either - it doesn't cover as well and uses a ton more product. I then apply a touch of talc-free mineral powder to set it - my current favorite is cheapie drugstore brand Physicians Formula. It works just fine.

Seriously, try Effacernes, and I think you'll see why I keep returning to it. FYI, I've tried similar L'Oreal and Maybelline concealers thinking they might be comparable to their more expensive sister brand, but in this case they just aren't.

on 7/16/2014 10:18:00 PM

My FAVORITE! I have dark inner eye corners and broken caps all over the bridge of my nose - this is the only one that works for me and the color matches perfectly. It's a bit pricey, but when something works as it should, price becomes less of an issue. I put a drop on the back of my hand, then apply with a concealer brush - I love the packaging, very easy to get just what you need out of the tube. Amazing stuff!

on 7/14/2014 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I have terrible genetic dark circles exacerbated by my bad sleeping habits, and have tried many, many concealers over the years. Besides lack of performance, it's difficult to find a good shade match (I'm super pale but warm-toned). This concealer is amazing. A pinhead's worth gently patted on and blended with my ring fingertip covers all but the darkest, most prominent veins, and even then only a slight shadow shows through. It looks very natural, not at all heavy or cake-y. As long as I don't use too much, it doesn't crease. Porcelaine #110 is a perfect match for my skin. It also covers redness well, and in general really creates a smoother, more even look. I use it over L'Oreal Revitalift Miracle Blur eye cream, and it goes on perfectly. I look *so* much more awake with this on, even if I don't feel it! I never thought I'd find a concealer I like more than Shiseido The Makeup, but Effacernes Waterproof blows it out of the water! The only thing I don't like is that it's hard to dispense the really tiny, tiny amount I actually need - no matter how carefully I squeeze, I usually end up with excess. As sanitary as the needle-tip squeeze tube is, the product might actually be easier to work with in wand form.