July 24, 2014 | 2086 users online

Concealers - Lancome - Effacernes Waterproof

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2014 2:17:00 PM More reviews by auntnett

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

(This review is cross-posted from the plain/non-waterproof Effacernes listing, which is really the same product, just pictured in their older tube. What I've used has always been waterproof - this separate waterproof entry wasn't here when I first posted about the product)

UPDATE: They've recently added some additional shades, and I found one that's about perfect for me, so I'm loving it even more! I've strayed at times using both Meow powder mineral foundation and Illuminare cream mineral foundation, but at least for now, I'm back to Effacernes, even using it as an actual undereye concealer these days! :)

NOTE: Long after posting this, I saw a few comments about it seeming to separate or weep oil. I have had it do that in a color that I hadn't used in a while. The liquid that's separated doesn't feel at all oily, though. I've found if I gently squeeze some air out of the tube, put the lid back on then massage the tube, it takes care of the 'problem'. It doesn't at all affect it's effectiveness for me. I even have tube in a make-up bag in my car's glove compartment that I've done this with, and it's fine, despite temperature extremes of the car. Oh, and I see some recommending against using it with acne. I use it on mine all the time - yes, even at 57, I still get acne - and it doesn't worsen it in any way. It just helps cover and blend it away until it's really gone. Again, what some are calling oil when it separates, is not in the least oily, as you'll see if you'll actually feel some of the liquid that seeps out. I know some of my older tubes actually say it's oil-free, and I don't see anything in the current ingredient list that looks like an oil, though I'm no chemist and admit I might not recognize an oil from it's chemical name. Regardless, even if it contains some, it causes me no problems, though I still have quite oily skin.

This is my HG concealer/foundation that I always come back to. I'm 51 [now 58 in 2014, and still using it - more consistently than ever, in fact], combination skin, melasma and brown sun spots, broken capillaries, rosacea, sebhorreic dermatitis, and folliculitis on my chin, and this has basically become my foundation, camouflaging the aforementioned maladies better than anything else I've found - and I've tried about everything in every price range in the stores and on the internet. Strangely, the thing I like it for the least is as an undereye concealer - go figure! I still use something else for that, though I've never found a HG and keep trying different things.

Anyway, it covers well, looks more natural than other concealers and foundations, wears well, is pretty waterproof, and a little goes a long way. It is matte but not dry looking. So, although a tube costs ~$25, I only use 3-4 tubes a year, despite using it every day. I order it from the Lancome website and pay no sales tax, and if the order is over $50 (I just order two tubes at a time), no shipping. I always receive good samples, too.

The only con is that there are only four shades. I use Clair II which is just a touch too dark in the winter yet Porcelain I is too light and doesn't cover as well on me.

I often have other women over 40 (I'm 51) ask me what kind of foundation I use. They're flabbergasted to find that I use this instead of any foundation.

If you do use foundation, apply this (as with most concealers) after the foundation, not before. With or without foundation, the trick is to gently pat it on, not rub it, with your own clean fingers. If you blend it well, there is no line of demarcation in either color or texture. I don't like it applied with a concealer brush, except maybe on undereye circles. No sponges either - it doesn't cover as well and uses a ton more product. I then apply a touch of talc-free mineral powder to set it - my current favorite is cheapie drugstore brand Physicians Formula. It works just fine.

Seriously, try Effacernes, and I think you'll see why I keep returning to it. FYI, I've tried similar L'Oreal and Maybelline concealers thinking they might be comparable to their more expensive sister brand, but in this case they just aren't.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2014 10:18:00 PM More reviews by Dekalb

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My FAVORITE! I have dark inner eye corners and broken caps all over the bridge of my nose - this is the only one that works for me and the color matches perfectly. It's a bit pricey, but when something works as it should, price becomes less of an issue. I put a drop on the back of my hand, then apply with a concealer brush - I love the packaging, very easy to get just what you need out of the tube. Amazing stuff!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2014 12:39:00 PM More reviews by crystalradium

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have terrible genetic dark circles exacerbated by my bad sleeping habits, and have tried many, many concealers over the years. Besides lack of performance, it's difficult to find a good shade match (I'm super pale but warm-toned). This concealer is amazing. A pinhead's worth gently patted on and blended with my ring fingertip covers all but the darkest, most prominent veins, and even then only a slight shadow shows through. As long as I don't use too much, it doesn't crease. Porcelaine #110 is a perfect match for my skin. It also covers redness well, and in general really creates a smoother, more even look. I use it over L'Oreal Revitalift Miracle Blur eye cream, and it goes on perfectly. I look *so* much more awake with this on, even if I never feel it! I never thought I'd find something I like more than Shiseido The Makeup Concealer, but Effacernes Waterproof blows it out of the water! The only thing I don't like is that it's hard to dispense the really tiny, tiny amount I actually need. As sanitary as the needle-tip squeeze tube is, it might actually be easier to work with in a pot with a concealer brush.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2014 4:28:00 AM More reviews by cashmerecatt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Funny enough, I fell in love with this concealer when I went to try the Estée Lauder double wear concealer. I dabbed one under each eye and decided to try this instead. Has since become my HG undereye concealer - creamy, buildable yet takes so little to cover well, brightens and evens out without being shimmery or shiny, does well with creasing... I can go on and on. Pricey but it takes so little product to get good results that it lasts and lasts. Took one lippy for the claim that it's waterproof - while it wears all day long, I have tried swimming in it and find that I have to reapply. Should have named it water-resistant instead.

Whatever though, this stuff rocks and I'll continue to buy it so long as it exists.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/13/2014 9:56:00 AM More reviews by madcancer7

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

I'm on the fence about this product because there's not a good match of colour for me and also it's not a fantastic product for the price. I'm NC30 and I use light buff which the lancome lady matched me to. I don't have very bad eye circles but they can get puffy and worsen if I sleep less so I apply this under my skinfood salmon concealer. If applied alone, I find that it's too drying and emphasise the dryness of my skin. Plus it's very hard to blend into the skin but I use the sephora #57 brush which is amazing and can blend any concealer but I figured if I use my fingers, it's not going to be that easy as this concealer is quite drying.
However on the good side, this concealer is very long wearing and barely fades throughout the day, I sweat a lot because of my country's weather which is hot and humid and it's still didn't budge despite the sweat.
It's an okay concealer and I expected something better for the price. I bought it for 30.50USD without tax when I was holidaying in Honolulu.

Update: changed my mind on this. It works really well now that I have found a good setting powder for it and also a better technique in applying it. Bumping this to 4 lippies.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2014 6:07:00 PM More reviews by kristimh

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been on the hunt for a under eye concealer that doesn't crease forever. This is perfection!! I'm so happy I stumbled across reviews and found this! Last weekend it really got a good test, my eyes wouldn't stop watering and this concealer never budged! I just knew when I got honest would look a mess, to my surprise I looked exactly how it did when was 1st applied at 6am as at 6pm that evening!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2014 11:58:00 PM More reviews by BeagleLab

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been looking for a good concealer for a long time, tried Hourglass, Tarte, Marc Jacobs. They were good, but never good enough, too many creases, too drying. My sister swears by the other Lancome concealer, which I never liked. After reading the reviews, I thought I would give this one a try. I was not disappointed. I love it. I do not have terrible dark circles. But I travel on business quite frequently and take early flights. This helps when I do not have enough sleep. I still look wide awake. It is also very moisturizing.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/19/2014 3:44:00 AM More reviews by allonsy

This basically does nothing for me and it doesn't last that long on my skin. I don't have really dark undereyes, but it isn't that brightening either. Meh.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 12:59:00 AM More reviews by mayag719

This stuff really doesn't cake much (my eye are is SUPER oily), blends smoothly, and a little goes a long way.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2013 12:40:00 PM More reviews by whocareswhoiam

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This waterproof concealer is my last step in concealing dark circles. It is also excellent to conceal redness around nose. The packaging is perfect! The tube allows for only a small amount of product to be dispensed. Plus, the tube protects the integrity of the product. I like tubes because When it comes to facial products, I do not want to stick my fingers onto unused product or use the same wand over and over, in and out - that just is not sanitary. This cream leaves a soft finish, is not drying and thus does not emphasize lines. To cover my darkness, I first apply Clinique Even Better Eyes all over eyes before makeup application. The flesh-tone Clinique Even Better Eyes cream is hydrating and does not interfere with makeup. I then apply Bobbie Brown Corrector only over darkness using the Bobbie Brown concealer brush. Last step is Effacernes, tap on a tiny amount. I also apply Effacernes to cover any redness in nasal corners. This is the best it gets for me. Nothing will cure hereditary dark circles, so it was a process to find the right group of products that will conceal them as best possible. Effacernes is instrumental as the final step.