September 17, 2014 | 1026 users online

BB Cream - Jane Iredale - Glow Time BB Cream

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2014 7:31:00 PM More reviews by zero347

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I switched to using Korean BB's from powdered minerals because as I got older I found that the powders accentuated flaws. However, I eventually became concerned about the safety
(and soundness ethically) of some of the ingredients in these Asian brands. Lo and Behold - my previous favourite mineral makeup Jane Iredale had started making a BB! I purchased this in BB3 as this was supposedly a match for Warm Silk, the shade I had been using previously in both the pressed and loose minerals.
This product worked for me similar to MISSHA's Cho Bo Yang where it provides more coverage than a tinted moisturiser but not as much as a full coverage foundation. Also similar to the Asian product, you need to only use a pea sized amount for your whole face and work quickly because it is possible to have it set before it is blended or use too much and have it end up looking mask like. I have had no break outs from it so far even with sensitive an acne prone skin. It does have sort of a light citrus-y scent but this dissipates quickly and I had no allergy issues with it.
The main con I could find with this is that at $48 it's basically double what it costs for other BB creams. This is high enough that it's definitely a consideration when purchasing this product.
Overall though I will purchase this again because I like both the coverage and the fact that it has less questionable ingredients than competitiors.

Edited to add: Forgot to mention that I did not need to use a brush with this. I simply used a pea sized amount, dotted it on and then blended with my fingers like I would any other BB. I did not even need to use powder to set it afterward. I suspect that many of those achieving a super heavy effect with this stuff are simply using too large an amount.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2014 2:46:00 AM More reviews by Bridget55

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I wanted a break from products laden with parabens and decided to give JI BB cream a whirl since I'd had a good experience with their liquid minerals in the past but I wanted something with a fairly high SPF to use while vacationing on Martha's Vineyard. It's easy to travel with and along with the primer goes on nicely. My problem was the color range. I'm usually the second lightest foundation in most lines but the BB3 was pasty on me and the BB5 was way too yellow--like Dijon mustard yellow. I'd definitely repurchase if they added more skin-like colors to the line.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2014 5:29:00 PM More reviews by eek42

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The palest shade is very, very pale! Paler than all bobbi brown foundations, and mac ( duh) it's looks like mac fb c1 and white in a 1:2 ratio

It's pretty full coverage but not cakey or matte. I like the finish and coverage a lot! It transfers a lot, but I've never found a foundation that isn't grossly matte and doesn't transfer a lot so I don't care much. It def needs a touch up in the afternoon.

I love it though, almost HG for me.. almost!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/7/2014 11:26:00 PM More reviews by ginawadsworth

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I started using Jane Iredale compact powder several years ago. I think I am allergic to parabens and mineral oil following many years of sun tan lotion use when sailing. I am sure it was an accumulative issue, but have no desire to try them out again. I absolutely loved the powder. It is light, but covers well, giving me a good SPF coverage and being portable to boot.

Now in my 50's I felt I needed more coverage, and decided to take the plunge and get a BB cream as I was going to Australia for 10 days. The idea was a foundation-like product with good SPF which would not upset my skin.

Well I hated it, really hated it. It felt thick, non-mobile in terms of spread ability. I felt like I had this thick plastic mask on. The only good thing is that I did not burn.

On returning to NZ, I went back to the compact again and was very happy to do so.

However, I felt the powder was beginning to make me look older, sitting on top of my skin or in the creases. Time to make a change.

I tried the BB cream again, and once more hated it. Not giving up, though, I watched several videos, including Jane's on how to apply it. I also went to my stockist to ask advise and discuss dislike of the product.

The secret, is definitely in the application. I was advised I could add it to moisturiser to make it more malleable and that it is indeed supposed to be very thick. The idea is once applied, it does not move!!!

I now use a pea sized amount which I put on the base of my thumb. I let is warm up on my skin and apply tiny dots on my face and spread it out on newly moisturised skin. I use the pads of my fingers and work quickly and gently, as if I am applying a light oil. I work in sections, so it does not have time to settle in any one space as a blob.

The only downside is that it tends to make a dry area by my nose more noticeable, but I add a little concealer here to hide this, as suggested by my stockist.

Overall I have begun to like this product and would advise anyone trying it to either have a beautician show them how to apply it, or look at the video tutorials. Whether I would repurchase is open to debate at this stage, but I am hoping by Summer I have become proficient enough in its application that I do.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2014 9:50:00 PM More reviews by Ragdoll87

I like this BB cream a lot. In my opinion, it is more like a full on foundation though. My skin feels good and I don't feel like I have a lot on. Matched my skin tone perfectly , which is really hard to find. Only down side is the pricing..... $48.... I only bought it because I get a discount where I work

rated 3 of 5 on 5/18/2014 3:02:00 PM More reviews by maria91

Very good coverage for people who need it, but very heavy as well. It looked a bit cakey on me and it rubbed off on my sunglasses - something I hate! Also, it was quite thick and had to blend it in quickly. Overall it was ok, but I wouldn't repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/9/2014 8:00:00 PM More reviews by emkelly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This caused me to breakout - huge cystic pimples on my chin which only started to disappear once I worked out this bb cream was the culprit. I also found it had poor coverage and was drying. I like jane iredale but this is a no for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/4/2014 2:49:00 AM More reviews by AnnaBanana25

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm a fan of the JI pressed mineral foundation, but was wanting something a bit lighter coverage-wise, so thought I'd give this a try. This isn't a BB cream, it's more like a thick, waterproof concealer that's extremely difficult to blend. It also separates on the skin (especially if there are dry spots like mine). You need a really good cleanser to remove it - I put it on the back of my hand & apply with a brush & it takes several vigorous washes with soap to get most of it off my hand (not all of it!). Luckily, I do have a really good cleanser (Estee Lauder 3 in 1) which does remove it completely. I like a natural look, so this "BB cream" is definitely not for me. It's also ridiculously expensive (NZD99).

rated 2 of 5 on 5/3/2014 10:49:00 PM More reviews by zoepaquin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm an Iredale fan, but not because of this BB Cream. I use their PureBase pressed powder in Satin and it's the Best pressed powder I've used (and I compare with Bare Minerals and Cover Fx).

First off, ''Glow Time'' is not a BB Cream. It's a full-fledged FULL coverage foundation. It will cover everything, which is a plus, but with major drawbacks. The poor choice of color, combined with opaqueness and poor blendability, restricts the number of potential contented users. If, by chance, you are a perfect match for one of their 6 shades, then perhaps you will like it. But you have to be experienced in applying makeup, because it dries quickly and needs to be spread out with a foundation brush.

But even then, you will need to have no pores and no dry skin. As most of us gals have either oily skin (thus pores) or dry skin (thus dry patches), or both, this further restricts the possibility of this foundation suiting you.

As I bought a color that was wrong for me, and have both pores and dry patches, this was a terrible choice for me and I regret very much that I bought it from a spa that is loath to take returns. Still, I appreciate the absence of skin irritants (it does have silicones, which are not irritants per se, but I read on this forum that some find them bothersome). I also appreciate the SPF. For that reason alone, I give it two lippies.

CAUTION : You will need a heavy-duty cleanser to get rid of this. It does indeed work as advertised as water-resistant. If that's what you need, then you may have found your HG, but for daily ''normal'' use, that's another problem with this product because even though it might not be irritant to sensitive skin by itself, the arduous process of taking it off might very well irritate your skin. It made mine more red than it had been in a few weeks. I used Éminence's clear skin cleanser as usual, and it was still ALL there. No kidding! Then I SCRUBBED with a handtowel with more Éminence cleanser, and painstakingly it started to come off. I never scrub my skin and I don't use makeup-up remover either, usually for lack of a need for it. THEN, as there was STILL much visible ''BB cream'', I made myself a kaolin white clay mask. Absorbent properties of clay would surely do away with the rest of the cream, I thought. I waited 10 minutes, took off the mask, then indeed looked makeup-free (and it was a relief as the ''BB cream'' had given my skin horrible fake texture!).

The next morning, I gently washed my face with Éminence Stone Crop gel wash to remove nighttime oil/sweat. Then I sat in front of my mirror. That's when, thanks to full daylight, I saw there was STILL a spot on my face where the darn BB Cream stuck!!! I had to massage the area with pure argan oil to have it come off and I could see the yellow/orange very clearly on the tissue I used.

If you cleanse with oil, then this might not be a huge problem, as the argan oil seemed to be able to take it off my skin. Still, I'm miffed the spa assistant did not mention this. Anyhow, for those who have found this product to cause breakouts, I believe it's because it might not come off fully at night, not because any of its ingredients are bad or comedogenic.

Bottom line : do try it out in a store, but apply it on your full face to see how it appears on your skin texture and how easily it comes off at night. I would not recommend buying this before trying to wash it off at least once.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2014 3:38:00 PM More reviews by PaulainVA

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have only been using the bb cream3 for a short period, but am very impressed so far. It covers my rosacea redness extremely well, and I like that it serves as concealer, sunscreen and supplements my moisturizer. It takes a few minutes to settle into my skin, but is virtually invisible. The price is comparable for similar quality products, and, since you use so little per application I do not anticipate having to purchase more than once or twice per year. I noticed that some reviewers had issues with breakouts and/or difficulty removing the product effectively. I cleanse with a Clarisonic oscillating brush, and it cleans my face (I am 60+ and on the dry side) gently and thoroughly.