Jane Iredale Glow Time BB Cream

3.6

Not tested on animals

on 1/20/2015 9:08:00 PM

I wanted to love this product SO much, as I'm looking for a mineral foundation that I know is good for my skin, has high SPF as I live in Australia but also full coverage to hide my bad acne scarring and pigmentation. I have combination skin with hormonal cystic acne breakouts around my jawline and this BB cream covered it perfectly. It does feel quite thick but I applied mine with a beauty blender and it goes on nice and creamy and feels light on the skin. The full coverage and finish is amazing and it does last well on the skin with only a late afternoon touch up required in this humidity at the moment. I found the shades to be quite dark when choosing one and it definitely oxidises but I took a risk and bought it online so clearly mismatched myself....so this was pretty much a great product overall but...and it's a BIG BUT....it broke me out something terrible. When I took my make up off in the evening, some cystic acne had flared up but like never before, my skin had literally formed blisters around my jaw line. This product is the only thing which I had tried differently on my skin so unfortunately it has to be down to this. Like I said, I wanted to love and use it so much but I guess it's just not going to work for me.

on 1/15/2015 6:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this while visiting a spa, still in a haze of bliss and determined to be treating my skin to the "healthier" options. I was looking for something with more of a glow than my regular double wear that I could use every day but still had a bit of coverage.

When I saw the glowtime I thought great. It has spf, coverage and would give me a glow. All good. The assistant recommended BB6 for me. I also ended up buying the amazing base as a setting powder. Not sure this was the best advice from the assistant as I've since discovered this is a foundation all of its own. But I just used a light dusting to set the BB.

The first thing that struck me was the thickness of the product. A pea sized amount was recommended. So i dotted it on my skin and duly blended using my real techniques expert face brush. I have quite a bit of hyperpigmentation so I found that a pea sized amount well blended is not enough. I had to go back over the worst areas and stipple over these areas.

The colour of this is quite yellow which is great for minimising redness. You have to be careful to blend very well. It does give a lovely glow to the skin and I must say I looked younger and fresher with this.

However after a little while (about an hour) I found that this started to feel very oily on my t-zone area. I found I needed to blot very regularly in order to keep shine at bay and to stop the foundation seperating. By the end of the day it had disappeared form my t-zone but remained everywhere else. Not ideal really.

This may work for me if i used the jane iredale primer and the matt finishing powders but to be honest I was not impressed enough to part with more cash in the hope of making this product work. I think there are plenty more products that can do what this product offers at a more affordable price.

I have a bugbear about these companies like bare minerals and jane iredale in that you cannot just seem to use one product from their lines. If you but one you seem to have to buy a whole range of products to make it work. I had a bad experience of this with bare minerals too a few years ago. Spent an absolute fortune and ended up with a load of products I just couldnt use.

While I'm on a roll another bugbear about these products - they are designed and advertised to be great for acne and rosacea skin types. I went to the jane iredale site for application tips. Not one demo of covering acne or rosacea to be found. Just models with. flawless skin. Not a great inspiration for those with problem skin to invest i think.

All in all I think EUR 104 was enough to part with for what is after all a mediocre product in my opinion.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Okay do love this product and being a beauty therapist, product junky and counter manager myself I do believe this is a really lovely addition to any girls make up bag who is looking for nice natural products that don't harm the skin or cause break outs. And if used correctly could take the place of many foundations. However! I would highly recommend adding this product to a lighter version of a BB cream as it is so thick and full that it can look cakey if applied incorrectly and can be difficult to work with.
I currently use this product in the number 7 added with my kiehl's BB cream in the medium colour I think it is (I have previously done a review on this product if you want the full name for it). I add the tiniest bit of my glow time to a glob of my kiehl's as that's all you need. Because my glow time is the wrong colour for me when tanned it works well with my kiehl's to make it darker then I use my number 7 on it's own to correct my under eye area as it is stark enough on it's own I think to be used as a concealer!
Pros-
Skin loving ingredients
Not too oily for the product type (I do set this with a setting powder)
It lasts forever as you only need the smallest amount! (I have had mine for a 1.5 years and still going ! )
The coverage !!
The packaging (lovely big tube!! With lots of product)
Cons-
Price (although you do get a lot of product and it lasts for ages so can't really complain)
It can be hard to work with if used purely on it's own.
The coverage can be a bit heavy (if used in correctly)

Over all would 100% by this again!

Honestly, I don't *want* to like this BB cream. It's really expensive, and I hate the idea of loving such a pricey product. But it's just so damn good. I am VERY obsessed with high coverage products and I want a perfect, even complexion to work off of, and inexplicably, this *BB cream* offers that with a minimal amount of product. Like, I can get very decent coverage with a pea-sized amount, probably less.

I started off with the Garnier BB cream, which was...underwhelming and made my eyes burn (LPT: read the freakin' packaging). Then, out of curiosity, I picked this up (it's my mother's). It made a world of difference. It covered like a foundation, blurred out my pores, matched BOTH our skintones (she tans, I don't), and is just overall...awesome.

I'm now venturing into Korean BB creams after trying this. I had a bad experience with one, and to be honest, I'm worried that this product has set the bar impossibly high. Will I find a quality BB cream that's just as good as the Jane Iredale Glow Time (or even better)? Who knows. But for now, this is a HG BB cream...even though it's hideously expensive.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

to be honest I was given this by my mom-in-law who bought it from a spa for $45. She hated how it looked on her skin and asked if I wanted to try it. I was excited to try it but it is SO dark. I am a rather pale gal. It looked fine on my hand but it oxidized even darker than it applied to my face.

that being said, the coverage is nice and thick and it doesn't -feel- bad, but looks bad. The packaging is nice and doesn't feel cheap so that was a plus. Applied nice with a wet sponge.

it also has a weird smell, like it's not perfumed but...just off?

I definitely wouldn't purchase this myself and I'm glad I wasn't the one who bought it.

on 12/5/2014 7:29:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I bought this at the Nordstrom Spa in downtown Seattle and they walked me through various ways of applying either for full coverage (apply without blending with any lotion) or light coverage. For a matte, polished look I use the face powder by the same brand. My skin is nether oily or dry from it's use and it hasn't caused any breakouts. For application I use the pink beauty blender sponge.

on 11/27/2014 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

It is one of those products that can go opposite ways depending on skin type, but more so, on application. In other words, applied wrongly, it can turn out a disaster. I've since learned that it works best with a foundation brush. And equally important, get to know how much product is required on your skin. In my case, not a lot. Too much, and I look like I am off to a Halloween party.

I like that it provides a full coverage (and it really does this), and it does give off a glow-ish finish, which perks my normally tired looking skin. And finally, it lasts ALL day. The shade range, as many have found, is a bit biased towars the lighter side. I would say even, the VERY light side. I wear the BB05 shade, because the next shade available in Europe was a bit too dark. I am olive, with a beige-yellowish tone (a lot more beige than yellow though), and the BB05 is simply too light and yellow-y. I finish it with powder and bronzers to correct the colour, which is a bit tiresome, and thus un-does the way in which BB creams are supposed to make skin care and makeup routines easier, I think it is not so much the consistency of the product, but the shade itself that makes it look 'chalky' on the face, as some people have found. I really wish they'd do something about that.

Would I repurchase? My answer is really a 'maybe'. It is quite hard to get hold of JI products in Europe. I often buy mine from feelunique (though I also purchase from US sites - which would include a hefty shioping charge), but I find they never have the full range of JI products, often not the full range of shades available. The other thing is, this BB cream is way tooo expensive, It costs euros 51!!! That's way more expensive than full bottles of my other favourites: Dior and YSL. A good product that could potentially get better with better shade offerings, bu for these reasons, repurchasing is a big 'maybe' for me.

on 10/27/2014 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Really like this with a fine dusting of the loose powder on top. I have red cheeks and little red blood vessels under my eyes. I am 41, and am always balancing that knife edge of under eye concealment and too much under eye concealment. (if you are over 40, you know ) I find this to be one of those product lines that eases those woes. I am porcelain with ruddiness. ( NW European) Darkest auburn/brunette and green eyes Skin is dry and flaky around nose not oily, and the rest is normal. I use an OIL moisturizer. Usually a single oil not a blend mixed with other ingredients. OR Ecco Bella has an herbal oil in a round jar that is also a good moisture backdrop. I put this on with my fingers one section at a time. I find that the BB3 is great with the light beige powder on top. (tap and swirl the powder brush so as to not look cakey) This lasts all day long. In winter I am BB1 and Ivory powder. I have to say that if you have any patchiness the BB1 is going to cling to it more than the BB3. I just make sure to use the washcloth in the shower and use the moisture first, and it is not a problem. I have been using this for a month now, and have had no issues with my skin. I use mychelle creamy pumpkin cleanser, and it comes off with ease. I can not wear foundations with alcohol, because of the sensitive sides of nose. This does not end up causing any sensitivity. It is also CRUELTY FREE! I am going back for more of this and the loose powder. I have heard good things about their circle delete. I am #2.

on 10/15/2014 11:45:00 AM

I've been using JI Glow Time for a month. It gives me very good coverage for my hyperpigmentation. The cream is very thick and a little goes a long way. The first few times, I applied way too much. It's not like applying regular foundation.

I put about half a pea size on the back of my hand. I add more as needed, but start small. I use a Sigma Flat Top Kabuki brush F80 to apply Glow Time. I find a flat top brush is better to use than a regular foundation brush. I lightly tap the brush on cream and gently dot the cream on my face. I use a swirling motion to apply the makeup. Don't press too hard. It took me about a week or so to get the hang of using the swirling motion and determining the right pressure to applying the cream. I wasn't experienced using a flat top brush.

I also use JI Enlighten concealer over the darkest hyperpigmentation areas before applying Glow Time. Be careful not to use too much of the concealer. This is where I had to adjust the pressure amount when applying Glow Time. I wait a few minutes for concealer to set before applying the cream.

I let Glow Time set for a minute before applying blush. I do my eyes then finish off with blush, etc. I don't usually use a powder unless it's for an evening outing. Sometimes I use a facial spray to set the makeup with or without powder.

I marked it's expensive, but a little does go a long way.

Note: My mother in law gave me a compliment. She liked my makeup.

I am giving up on this. It pains me because I wanted it to work out so bad. But this breaks me out the typical deep cystic lesions especially on my cine and the sides of my nose-bridge. I kept hearing about Jane Iredale being friendly for the skin. Theese products are hard to come by locally where I am, so I had to look and went for a trial. It looked good so I decided to just buy one.

I don't like wearing makeup because of the (well-founded fear) it breaks me out. So I only wear it on special occasions.
Initially the coverage is quite good (moderate) it blends well. But after a a few hours, it looks cakey, although it still helps mask the redness on my skin. But I broke out so badly, been giving it excuses eg I wore in while on holiday (hence the dry atmosphere was bad for my skin) But the past week, I it's the last straw really. I wore it for 2 separate occasions (a few hours), about 1 week apart. I was trying it without the powder and it broke me out.

Now I'll try the pressed powder (coverage not as good, it's more sheer) and see if that breaks me out too.

anyway, still hunting for something suitable for me :(