November 22, 2014 | 998 users online

Treatments (Face) - Alpha Hydrox - Intensive Serum 14% Glycolic AHA

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2014 8:36:00 AM More reviews by Tushky

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I was searching for a good and strong AHA, as I have many acne marks and my skin tone is everything but not even. This stuff is very good. I use it 3 times/week, in the evenings, the other nights I use Differin. The next morning I wake up with a brighter and glowing skin. In 2 months of use(paired with Differin and BHA), has made my skin look way better, brighter, more even and almost no break-outs. I also like that is has a light consistency and it's absorbed quickly, which is very good for my oily skin. It stung only the first time when I applied it, but I take care to have my skin totally dry before applying(I usually wait 5-10min after I applied a toner and just after I use this).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2014 6:01:00 AM More reviews by Daniela1977

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

OMG this is a really amazing product and one of the very few i saw results while using it.
I only got this as my BFF in US send it to me to try after she bought quite few her self. I told her to send if she want but wasn't expecting anything and i decide to give a try as i do like trying new products but quite faithful to my routine for quite time now.
Time ago i use to read SCB all the time and the gals there advise using AHA or BHA ( depends what your skin like - mine hate BHA ) as well as Vit.C serum , A-Ret & sunscreen. Well now i use all of those and for few years on A-Ret my skin is quite good and free of wrinkles at my 37 which is amazing as i m smoker :-(.
Anyway as for AHA i used PC 8% for about 2 years and was quite happy and wasn't really looking for anything to replace it. I use AHA every other night alternatively with A-Ret.
Well i tho i m really happy with PC till i tried this product which honestly is amazing.
All those years and all this skincare products i hardly ever saw noticeable results after using one product in particular. I'll be honest with you i do not even know what AHA is exactly about but use as recommendation to the SCB but after using this for quite few weeks my skin be come VERY much lighter and clear. I do not suffer from spots or break outs but did have quite few dark spots. As i said my skin brighten up significantly while using this and i don't have visible wrinkles but quite few fine lines and i can tell those look much better as well.
I m honest in my review and really amazed by the results of this product . This is one of the products i wish i've made pictures before & after as you can see how much brighter my skin be come,
Will definitely buy again and keep using this instead of PC as i was happy with the PC as there wasn't bad reactions or anything like but cant tell i saw anything else after using it for about 2 years . So there we go very happy i found AHA that do show some results.

BTW i have quite sensitive and dry skin as of the A-Ret use for around 5/6 years now but this serum even much stronger than the PC don't bother my skin whatsoever. It can tangle a little after cleansing masque on sundays but thats all i notice .

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2014 11:35:00 PM More reviews by loveintheasylum

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Light, non-greasy and non-sticky and not much of smell, to me anyway. It tingles a little especially if you use something like a facial scrub prior to use as the small beads or ground nuts that may be in the scrub causes superficial, small tears on the skin- so keep that in mind. It also may tingle and sting if you started off with a higher concentration from the jump, instead of using a lower concentration then letting your skin adjust. I started off with the 10% oil-free serum for a few months from Alpha Hydrox, then switched up to this. Anyway, my skin felt smoother, softer, plumper and more glowing first few days I started using it which is a miracle because I got acne scars really bad under my neck and on the side of my face, but now I can't stop touching my skin and not recoiling in disgust. Additionally, I like that it has a top that can snap open and closed with a push of a finger on top. Since the ingredients can degrade when exposed to air, its quite convenient. Speaking of packaging, the bottle I have looks different from the picture that's the thumbnail, I guess they changed it since last. Anyway, I couldn't find it in stores so I got it from amazon for $15 and some change for a 2 oz bottle..spendy I know, especially for such a small amount but its so worth it. Total re-buy.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2014 1:18:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I use to be religious about exfoliating and was excited to find this 14% AHA product at such an affordable price. My excitement was short lived, however, as this left me raw and irritated. 14% AHA is very strong, and I should have known better. I've since completely stopped using this product and all products that exfoliate. This might sound weird, but it seems like the more you exfoliate the more you have to exfoilate. It seems like your skin builds up these micro-calluses when you exfoliate a lot creating a cycle where you constantly feel like you have to exfoliate. The most you should do is use a wash cloth to very GENTLY wash away the dead skin cells that are ready to come off. At first you might not like the way your skin looks, but after a while it will normalize, and you'll look better than ever with no irritation. Now I know I sound crazy, and most people are going to keep on exfoliating, but if you do PLEASE use something gentler on your face than this! And if you do use this, PLEASE wash it off after...say... five or ten minutes. DON'T LEAVE THIS ON ALL NIGHT.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2014 12:08:00 PM More reviews by Gita1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Have been using this for about a month. Very light weight watery serum, easy to use. I thought at 14% it would be more stingy but it is not at all which makes me wonder how effective it is. pH is 3.7. I used to use the souffle which stung more than this at 12%. My skin is happy with it though. So don't be afraid to try this because of the higher percentage acid. It has some nice conditioning agents in it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using this everyday for the last year. It is a watery serum that quickly absorbs into skin. It is at an effective pH level to be beneficial to the skin. I have combination skin and this is not enough moisture for me so I usually add a light moisturizer on top and then sunscreen. It gently exfoliates my skin and keeps my pores unclogged.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/7/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by GiGiQue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a very effective product. It has a consistency like water. It dries very quickly, and makeup wears well over it; it does not affect makeup application. I've had no irritation/stinging, and it leaves my skin radiant after usage. I am very clog-prone and break out very easily; this has not broken me out, and it appears to have faded some of my sun spots and acne scars. I've used this for 6 months and will continue to use. I only purchase when it's on sale.

Update 9/2014: I was given MD Forte Lotion II and MD Forte Lotion III; I loooooove them! However, I will not be able to afford them when finished, so then it will be back to Alpha Hydrox Intensive Serum.

Update 7/09/14: I bounced this down a lippie. I started using this again after I ran out of my MD Forte Lotion I & Lotion II. This Alpha Hydrox Serum broke me out after only 2 nights of use. Before when I was using it, I was aggressively exfoliating every morning & evening--as well as using RetinoA. As my routine has changed to a gentler, less aggressive approach, the propyl glycol broke me out (as it usually does). Also, this product stings much more than the MD Forte did, even with the Facial Lotion II, which is 20%). My oily, hyper-allergic skin responded so well to the MD Forte Facial Lotions that switching back to this didn't work out. This serum, while a nice consistency, left my face with an oily sheen, and exacerbated my oil production; most products do that to me, so I didn't think anything of it. However, the MD Forte Facial Lotions actually reduced my oil production, dried matte, and made such a visible/noticeable difference that I realized that I didn't HAVE to stay with products that did perform as well. Sadly, the MD Forte Facial Lotions have been discontinued. (Am always the last to find out.) I found an e-store that still had some, and stocked up. While I wouldn't buy the Alpha Hydrox Serum again, it is an excellent product--it just doesn't work as well with my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2012 8:01:00 AM More reviews by puppyhead5150

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product is AMAZING! and the BEST product I have ever found!! I have adult cystic acne that gets really bad at times (bad enough that my derm always wants me to go on Accutane) and I find one of the only things that helps me is using a glycolic acid product. I have used this product line for over 10 years and was excited when I saw this product and read the ingredient list which included things like sodium hyaluronate (a great moisturizer and fine line plumper) plus aloe and the decent concentration of glycolic acid. What I really love about it is that it works, the small ingredient list and the thin watery consistency. It absorbs in to my skin so well and has not broken me out (miracle) and in fact has really helped my current acne situation. My skin is SO oily so I use this as a moisturizer and it's amazing. I use a very drying BP wash and a topical but after using this my skin is so plump and moisturized but not greasy. Of course, the oil always comes later in the day, but now my skin is so refined and fresh looking. My skin is so smooth now and my scars are really starting to fade. This product truly is a miracle and the best over the counter purchase I have ever made.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2012 8:06:00 PM More reviews by GulieQ

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I concur with the first reviewer. I tried this as an AHA replacement for the swipes (also a good product). This IS oil free, it dries completely with no residue, makeup goes on well over it, and no burning/irritation--for me--and I'm allergic to most everything. I bought backups when it went on sale After 2 months of morning use, I'm very pleased with the product and it's results. Yes, I would buy it again--and recommend it to others.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/14/2012 3:35:00 PM More reviews by mellern

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This serum has fantastic ingredients which do not exacerbate acne issues. I've been using it for 2 months to get rid of acne and post-acne hyperpigmentation, and it's been working very well in that regard. My skin is a little less oily and a lot smoother and my acne scars are fading faster than they would without anything. however, the preservative that they use (methylisothiazolinone) is very irritating to me...I googled it and it causes contact dermatitis in a good part of the population. So, while the serum itself is great, I won't be using it anymore because of itching and would recommend that sensitive skins stay away.

6 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No