August 1, 2014 | 1773 users online

Treatments (Face) - Alpha Hydrox - Intensive Serum 14% Glycolic AHA

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2014 11:35:00 PM More reviews by loveintheasylum

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Light, non-greasy and non-sticky and not much of smell, to me anyway. It tingles a little especially if you use something like a facial scrub prior to use as the small beads or ground nuts that may be in the scrub causes superficial, small tears on the skin- so keep that in mind. It also may tingle and sting if you started off with a higher concentration from the jump, instead of using a lower concentration then letting your skin adjust. I started off with the 10% oil-free serum for a few months from Alpha Hydrox, then switched up to this. Anyway, my skin felt smoother, softer, plumper and more glowing first few days I started using it which is a miracle because I got acne scars really bad under my neck and on the side of my face, but now I can't stop touching my skin and not recoiling in disgust. Additionally, I like that it has a top that can snap open and closed with a push of a finger on top. Since the ingredients can degrade when exposed to air, its quite convenient. Speaking of packaging, the bottle I have looks different from the picture that's the thumbnail, I guess they changed it since last. Anyway, I couldn't find it in stores so I got it from amazon for $15 and some change for a 2 oz bottle..spendy I know, especially for such a small amount but its so worth it. Total re-buy.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2014 1:18:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I use to be religious about exfoliating and was excited to find this 14% AHA product at such an affordable price. My excitement was short lived, however, as this left me raw and irritated. 14% AHA is very strong, and I should have known better. I've since completely stopped using this product and all products that exfoliate. This might sound weird, but it seems like the more you exfoliate the more you have to exfoilate. It seems like your skin builds up these micro-calluses when you exfoliate a lot creating a cycle where you constantly feel like you have to exfoliate. The most you should do is use a wash cloth to very GENTLY wash away the dead skin cells that are ready to come off. At first you might not like the way your skin looks, but after a while it will normalize, and you'll look better than ever with no irritation. Now I know I sound crazy, and most people are going to keep on exfoliating, but if you do PLEASE use something gentler on your face than this! And if you do use this, PLEASE wash it off after...say... five or ten minutes. DON'T LEAVE THIS ON ALL NIGHT.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2014 12:08:00 PM More reviews by Gita1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Have been using this for about a month. Very light weight watery serum, easy to use. I thought at 14% it would be more stingy but it is not at all which makes me wonder how effective it is. pH is 3.7. I used to use the souffle which stung more than this at 12%. My skin is happy with it though. So don't be afraid to try this because of the higher percentage acid. It has some nice conditioning agents in it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2013 2:24:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been using this everyday for the last year. It is a watery serum that quickly absorbs into skin. It is at an effective pH level to be beneficial to the skin. I have combination skin and this is not enough moisture for me so I usually add a light moisturizer on top and then sunscreen. It gently exfoliates my skin and keeps my pores unclogged.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/7/2013 1:31:00 PM More reviews by GiGiQue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is a very effective product. It has a consistency like water. It dries very quickly, and makeup wears well over it; it does not affect makeup application. I've had no irritation/stinging, and it leaves my skin radiant after usage. I am very clog-prone and break out very easily; this has not broken me out, and it appears to have faded some of my sun spots and acne scars. I've used this for 6 months and will continue to use. I only purchase when it's on sale.

Update 9/2014: I was given MD Forte Lotion II and MD Forte Lotion III; I loooooove them! However, I will not be able to afford them when finished, so then it will be back to Alpha Hydrox Intensive Serum.

Update 7/09/14: I bounced this down a lippie. I started using this again after I ran out of my MD Forte Lotion I & Lotion II. This Alpha Hydrox Serum broke me out after only 2 nights of use. Before when I was using it, I was aggressively exfoliating every morning & evening--as well as using RetinoA. As my routine has changed to a gentler, less aggressive approach, the propyl glycol broke me out (as it usually does). Also, this product stings much more than the MD Forte did, even with the Facial Lotion II, which is 20%). My oily, hyper-allergic skin responded so well to the MD Forte Facial Lotions that switching back to this didn't work out. This serum, while a nice consistency, left my face with an oily sheen, and exacerbated my oil production; most products do that to me, so I didn't think anything of it. However, the MD Forte Facial Lotions actually reduced my oil production, dried matte, and made such a visible/noticeable difference that I realized that I didn't HAVE to stay with products that did perform as well. Sadly, the MD Forte Facial Lotions have been discontinued. (Am always the last to find out.) I found an e-store that still had some, and stocked up. While I wouldn't buy the Alpha Hydrox Serum again, it is an excellent product--it just doesn't work as well with my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2012 8:01:00 AM More reviews by puppyhead5150

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product is AMAZING! and the BEST product I have ever found!! I have adult cystic acne that gets really bad at times (bad enough that my derm always wants me to go on Accutane) and I find one of the only things that helps me is using a glycolic acid product. I have used this product line for over 10 years and was excited when I saw this product and read the ingredient list which included things like sodium hyaluronate (a great moisturizer and fine line plumper) plus aloe and the decent concentration of glycolic acid. What I really love about it is that it works, the small ingredient list and the thin watery consistency. It absorbs in to my skin so well and has not broken me out (miracle) and in fact has really helped my current acne situation. My skin is SO oily so I use this as a moisturizer and it's amazing. I use a very drying BP wash and a topical but after using this my skin is so plump and moisturized but not greasy. Of course, the oil always comes later in the day, but now my skin is so refined and fresh looking. My skin is so smooth now and my scars are really starting to fade. This product truly is a miracle and the best over the counter purchase I have ever made.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2012 8:06:00 PM More reviews by GulieQ

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I concur with the first reviewer. I tried this as an AHA replacement for the swipes (also a good product). This IS oil free, it dries completely with no residue, makeup goes on well over it, and no burning/irritation--for me--and I'm allergic to most everything. I bought backups when it went on sale After 2 months of morning use, I'm very pleased with the product and it's results. Yes, I would buy it again--and recommend it to others.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/14/2012 3:35:00 PM More reviews by mellern

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

This serum has fantastic ingredients which do not exacerbate acne issues. I've been using it for 2 months to get rid of acne and post-acne hyperpigmentation, and it's been working very well in that regard. My skin is a little less oily and a lot smoother and my acne scars are fading faster than they would without anything. however, the preservative that they use (methylisothiazolinone) is very irritating to me...I googled it and it causes contact dermatitis in a good part of the population. So, while the serum itself is great, I won't be using it anymore because of itching and would recommend that sensitive skins stay away.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2012 6:26:00 PM More reviews by aa2204

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been using this serum for the past 14 days, twice a day (in the morning under sunscreen and at bedtime). Results to date: my skin is smooth, pores on my forehead and cheeks look great, pores on my chin and nose (the ones that have usually been very clogged) are in better shape. I wash my face with Alpha Hydrox foaming wash and I use Elta MD physical tinted sunblock. I can see significant difference in the state of my pores and conidition of my skin after using this serum consistently. I will repurchase.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2012 4:05:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

I have finally found the best regimen of products for my combination-to-oily, acne-prone skin. I use the Alpha Hydrox foaming face wash to cleanse my face with twice a day. I use their 14% AHA swipes once every 3-4 days. And, I use their Intensive Serum 14% Glycolic AHA either once or twice a day.

The intensive serum is what I consider to be the BEST product that Alpha Hydrox makes. It sinks into my skin effortlessly, it doesn't have any odor to it, and it doesn't break me out at all. And, it it is absolutely to use boost one's facial clarity, better even out one's skin tone, suberbly provide one's face with a smoother and more taut look than without.

This is one product that's worthy to be praised!!!!!!!!!!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No