December 21, 2014 | 670 users online

Mascara - Lancome - Hypnose Star

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2014 8:58:00 AM More reviews by stls

I like Hypnose Star quite a bit. Gives intense color, curl and volume, the lashes definitely stand out. Never irritated my eyes and holds nicely all night. It's up there with EL Sumptuous, and Volume de Chanel for me.
It can be clumpy just as most volumizing mascaras.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2014 7:09:00 AM More reviews by diana10301

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this mascara! It doesn't smudge or clump if you use it the right way. One of my all time favourites!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2014 4:44:00 AM More reviews by verdisto

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

3-4 STARS

I'm still debating on whether or not I will be repurchasing or not, especially in full size. I received and bought both the mini size and the full size.

PACKAGING:
Lancome, as always, hits the packaging out of the park. There's just something so luxe about Lancome mascara packaging from the embossed box to the mascara tube itself. In this case, the tube has that sleek shape of the Lancome line, but in this case, there is a gradient sprinkling of sparkles from the middle to the bottom of the mascara tube. As always, nothing negative regarding Lancome packaging.

WAND:
I really liked this wand. Looking at the wand lying flat, you can see there is a triangular shape to it, like that of a narrow arrowhead. I believe this is perfect for you to reach those pesky eyelashes near the corners of the eyes. When you turn the wand sideways, the wand is quite thin, something I rarely see in mascara wands. This wand shape will prove crucial to getting that separated, defined effect to your lashes, and supposedly, if you lay the flat side of the wand to your lashes, you will achieve a volumized look (not successful but I will address that later). I am quite a fan of the side of the wand used to provide definition.

APPLICATION/FORMULA:
This was where things got a bit wonky for me. Upon first opening the mascara, the formula was quite wet, but this aided me in getting a smooth mascara application. The formular/wand on the side gave me a lovely lifted and defined look with a lovely curl. When I attempted to use the flat end of the wand against my lashes as advised my a lancome representative, I found that this resulted in a clumpy mess and couldn't be saved with the side application of the wand. I tried to use the flat end of the wand before side application and then, in a separate test, after the side application. This always resulted in a clumpy mess so I just avoided that technique altogether and settled for the side wand application. This was definitely enough while the mascara was fresh with a wet formula.
Unfortunately, I found the formula to dry quickly in the tube. Within the first month, the mascara had little clumps and became a bit more difficult to achieve a smooth application and with the mini, the formula became dryer (in a bad way) within two weeks. While I ultimately was able to work with the formula to get a nice defined look, at $26 dollars I expect this mascara to last for a while.
On a plus side, this formula was not irritating even after long wear, something I have always struggled with in mascaras due to the sensitivity of my eyes.

LONGEVITY:
This mascara was excellent at maintaining its curl, with no drooping of the lashes and no flakiness by the end of the day. I detected little to no smudging even with application along the lower lashes. This is a giant plus in my book. In addition, as mentioned before, there was no irritation to my eyes and I cannot stress enough how rare that is for me and mascaras. Overall perfect in longevity especially considering this is not a waterproof formula.

CONCLUSION:
I can say that, upon newly opening the mascara, I would give this a mascara a 4/4.5 due to the curl, the definition, and the longevity. However, I cannot give it perfect points simply because the volumizing side of the wand is a bust. If you like length, milk/medium volume, and perfect curl then you would be quite happy with the thin side of the wand.
As for when the mascara ages, I will just say that it doesn't age very well. Application becomes a bit clumpy and you have to work with it to get out those clumps. If you have loads of time, then you might be willing to work through it, but really, no one has 2 minutes to spare for combing out those clumps which, at the $28 price tag, I have to knock down to 3 stars.
If you like length, definition, and curl then go for this mascara, but be prepared to work with it in a month's time.

Please note I have long, straight, sparse lashes

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2014 11:39:00 PM More reviews by DollyA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Love this mascara and as an artist I have tried many many mascaras. You have to know how to use the wand properly otherwise it can clump. It thickens and lengthens your lashes. If it didn't irritate my eye I would have continued using it but I am allergic to 90% of mascaras

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2014 1:59:00 PM More reviews by aeternally

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I mostly prefer the HE mascaras, they tend to show up better and make my lashes prettier. My favorite brand is Lancome, and I have several times bought Lancome hypnose drama. This time I thought why not try something new? So I bought this mascara... and I am sorry I didn't try it sooner. I ADORE it! It makes my almost straight lashes curled and fanned out! It also made them longer, and blacker than ever! Exactly what I am looking for in a mascara =D
It is way on the road to becoming my...dare I say...HG mascara?

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2014 11:40:00 AM More reviews by thepulptoyourfiction

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I only go to Lancome for their mascaras.

I'm sad that this isn't getting such great reviews as I'd expect, because I absolutely love it.
It's one of my favourite -- scratch that -- it IS my favourite mascara in my collection.

I do not know what they did to improve it from the other Hypnose mascaras, but it's perfect.
I love how thick and bold it makes my lashes, dark enough to show up in pictures.
I have the sample size of it which is perfect for travelling and storing in the smallest of purses.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2014 12:41:00 PM More reviews by snowshoe73

This is a mascara that gives great length, decent volume, and darkens lashes nicely. It looks even better when worn under a primer (Lancome's Cils Booster XL is excellent). Wear time is not as good as other mascaras with some smudging noted under the eyes by the end of the day, even with primer. Still, it's a good mascara that does what it's supposed to, though the price tag is a little steep. It just may not be my first choice mascara if it's humid out or if it's essential that my eye makeup stay flawless.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2014 1:37:00 PM More reviews by IrisFvH

this is my HG mascara.. BUT... it's so so expensive and only buy it when it's on sale for 25% off or something.

The mistake people make with this mascara is that they apply the mascara only with the long side of the brush. this is NOT how you do this!

First use the flat side of the brush one time, and brush the mascara through the lenghts of your lashes until you get the result you want. this makes my long black lashes even longer and not clumpy. I like seperated natural looking lashes.

This is just perfect.. and the package,, just wow <3

rated 3 of 5 on 6/20/2014 1:19:00 PM More reviews by nailamaz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I would agree with other users sometimes it works great at other times very clumpy and dry

rated 3 of 5 on 5/31/2014 1:06:00 PM More reviews by nurfitras

I use contact lenses so I usually put eyedrops to my eyes throughout the day, so a waterproof mascara is a must-have for me.
I've been using the famous The Falsies by Maybelline, but I thought I should give a high-end waterproof product like Lancome a try, so I bought this one.
What I like the most about this mascara is its triangular wand, so I can cover my shorter lashes near my tearduct neatly. But once applied to lashes, the product's consistency is waaay to watery and not quick-drying so it's prone to smudging.
Well, it's waterproof enough for my upper lashes, but not so for my lower lashes because they usually smudges. It also doesn't really hold my curled lashes.

Doesn't worth the *lots of* money I spent. Not gonna repurchase.