January 26, 2015 | 1905 users online

Mascara - Lancome - Hypnose Star

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2015 5:51:00 AM More reviews by ellie179

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't know why it says 'show stopping volume mascara' because based on my experience it's more of length and definition. The conical shaped wand and bristles make it easy to grab the lashes to lift, stretch and fan them out but doesn't do much for volume. Good lasting hold, no clumping or flaking but other than that nothing much to shout about. I mean, dozen of other mascaras do the same. You can't really go wrong with Lancome mascaras I think. Personally I like to have volume and length and I think among the current Lancome range, Grandiose takes the cake.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2015 11:36:00 AM More reviews by georgiaa2903

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have used this mascara for 2 years now and have constantly re-purchased it! It is pricey but I make sure that I use every single last bit of it. The mascara is the perfect formula and it has the perfect brush. I have used many mascaras and I still end up coming back to this one! Defiantly recommend if you like long voluminous lashes :)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2015 1:05:00 PM More reviews by gaca

Every time I use this product I get compliments saying it looks like I'm having false lashes. I've got short eye lashes but whilst wearing this they look absolutely stunning. I got my mascara in a goodie bag so it was a smaller version and now I'm running out of it and wanna buy another one but it's a bit pricey and I'm a student so I don't really have the money but I recommend it for others to try!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2014 2:30:00 PM More reviews by Jessica24601

Ive had this Star mascara twice now in the mini size. I used to always purchase the Drama type, but I think I may eventually purchase this instead, (altho it is expensive and I usually spend no more then 12 bucks on mascaras). I love the brush. The narrow end indeed does reach end lashes for the perfect cat eye appearence. I need volume & receive it with this. Thick deep dark lashes that don't require the extra step with a curler b/c it seems to curl mine fine on their own. Extremely satisfied & cannot wait to have a full sized.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2014 8:58:00 AM More reviews by stls

I like Hypnose Star quite a bit. Gives intense color, curl and volume, the lashes definitely stand out. Never irritated my eyes and holds nicely all night. It's up there with EL Sumptuous, and Volume de Chanel for me.
It can be clumpy just as most volumizing mascaras.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2014 7:09:00 AM More reviews by diana10301

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love this mascara! It doesn't smudge or clump if you use it the right way. One of my all time favourites!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2014 4:44:00 AM More reviews by verdisto

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

3-4 STARS

I'm still debating on whether or not I will be repurchasing or not, especially in full size. I received and bought both the mini size and the full size.

PACKAGING:
Lancome, as always, hits the packaging out of the park. There's just something so luxe about Lancome mascara packaging from the embossed box to the mascara tube itself. In this case, the tube has that sleek shape of the Lancome line, but in this case, there is a gradient sprinkling of sparkles from the middle to the bottom of the mascara tube. As always, nothing negative regarding Lancome packaging.

WAND:
I really liked this wand. Looking at the wand lying flat, you can see there is a triangular shape to it, like that of a narrow arrowhead. I believe this is perfect for you to reach those pesky eyelashes near the corners of the eyes. When you turn the wand sideways, the wand is quite thin, something I rarely see in mascara wands. This wand shape will prove crucial to getting that separated, defined effect to your lashes, and supposedly, if you lay the flat side of the wand to your lashes, you will achieve a volumized look (not successful but I will address that later). I am quite a fan of the side of the wand used to provide definition.

APPLICATION/FORMULA:
This was where things got a bit wonky for me. Upon first opening the mascara, the formula was quite wet, but this aided me in getting a smooth mascara application. The formular/wand on the side gave me a lovely lifted and defined look with a lovely curl. When I attempted to use the flat end of the wand against my lashes as advised my a lancome representative, I found that this resulted in a clumpy mess and couldn't be saved with the side application of the wand. I tried to use the flat end of the wand before side application and then, in a separate test, after the side application. This always resulted in a clumpy mess so I just avoided that technique altogether and settled for the side wand application. This was definitely enough while the mascara was fresh with a wet formula.
Unfortunately, I found the formula to dry quickly in the tube. Within the first month, the mascara had little clumps and became a bit more difficult to achieve a smooth application and with the mini, the formula became dryer (in a bad way) within two weeks. While I ultimately was able to work with the formula to get a nice defined look, at $26 dollars I expect this mascara to last for a while.
On a plus side, this formula was not irritating even after long wear, something I have always struggled with in mascaras due to the sensitivity of my eyes.

LONGEVITY:
This mascara was excellent at maintaining its curl, with no drooping of the lashes and no flakiness by the end of the day. I detected little to no smudging even with application along the lower lashes. This is a giant plus in my book. In addition, as mentioned before, there was no irritation to my eyes and I cannot stress enough how rare that is for me and mascaras. Overall perfect in longevity especially considering this is not a waterproof formula.

CONCLUSION:
I can say that, upon newly opening the mascara, I would give this a mascara a 4/4.5 due to the curl, the definition, and the longevity. However, I cannot give it perfect points simply because the volumizing side of the wand is a bust. If you like length, milk/medium volume, and perfect curl then you would be quite happy with the thin side of the wand.
As for when the mascara ages, I will just say that it doesn't age very well. Application becomes a bit clumpy and you have to work with it to get out those clumps. If you have loads of time, then you might be willing to work through it, but really, no one has 2 minutes to spare for combing out those clumps which, at the $28 price tag, I have to knock down to 3 stars.
If you like length, definition, and curl then go for this mascara, but be prepared to work with it in a month's time.

Please note I have long, straight, sparse lashes

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2014 11:39:00 PM More reviews by DollyA

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Love this mascara and as an artist I have tried many many mascaras. You have to know how to use the wand properly otherwise it can clump. It thickens and lengthens your lashes. If it didn't irritate my eye I would have continued using it but I am allergic to 90% of mascaras

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2014 1:59:00 PM More reviews by aeternally

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I mostly prefer the HE mascaras, they tend to show up better and make my lashes prettier. My favorite brand is Lancome, and I have several times bought Lancome hypnose drama. This time I thought why not try something new? So I bought this mascara... and I am sorry I didn't try it sooner. I ADORE it! It makes my almost straight lashes curled and fanned out! It also made them longer, and blacker than ever! Exactly what I am looking for in a mascara =D
It is way on the road to becoming my...dare I say...HG mascara?

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2014 11:40:00 AM More reviews by thepulptoyourfiction

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I only go to Lancome for their mascaras.

I'm sad that this isn't getting such great reviews as I'd expect, because I absolutely love it.
It's one of my favourite -- scratch that -- it IS my favourite mascara in my collection.

I do not know what they did to improve it from the other Hypnose mascaras, but it's perfect.
I love how thick and bold it makes my lashes, dark enough to show up in pictures.
I have the sample size of it which is perfect for travelling and storing in the smallest of purses.