April 19, 2014 | 1118 users online

Sunscreen - Hawaiian Tropic - Silk Hydration Broad Spectrum SPF 30

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2013 12:09:00 PM More reviews by Jenabee333

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I used to use aerosol spray sunscreens thinking that the coverage was easier and better because I disliked greasy, sticky creams and that awful SPF smell that seems to hang around forever. With the spray, I end up missing many areas because I'm not rubbing it on and can't feel where it is. Inevitably, I wind up protected, save a small burned patch on my ankle or back.

This product solved all my dilemmas. It applies well on the skin and doesn't leave a greasy feel, it smells fresh once I've put it on, I barely know it's there. I've never had a burn with his product-- I should say that I actually bought the SPF 50 this time as I was taking medication that caused sunlight sensitivity but normally, I wear a 30. I normally don't reapply, even after swimming unless I notice that my skin is starting to become red.

The packaging is slim and smooth and fits easily in my backpack or beach bag without weighing a ton.

I am off to purchase more of this great product today!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2013 8:05:00 AM More reviews by liviiflutelouu

A great product for someone who is looking for a lightweight, non-greasy sunscreen. Absorbs super quick & leaves almost no residue, except for the extra hydration from the lotion. It also smells pretty amazing for a sunscreen, and when I apply it - I feel like I am just applying a basic moisturizer. Love it & I highly recommend! The Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch Sunscreen is also really great.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2013 3:09:00 AM More reviews by Chall6464

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love it! Feels like lotion, not a greasy/sticky sunscreen like the ones I'm used to. Light coconut scent. Dries quick and non-tacky. Broad spectrum (UVA &B protection) and water-resistant. What is there not to like? I would definitely buy again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2013 11:16:00 AM More reviews by Mellymoomar

I have an unhealthy obsession with suncreens, I have used a broad spectrum of brands throughout my life because I have always been unbelievably fair and have only ever tanned once when I went abroad (Spain). Even living in the UK I have to wear spf 50 because the slightest bit of sunshine makes me go pink or lobster red! I bought Hawaiian Tropic for the first time in the summer of 2012 and used it throughout and can safely say it works a treat. For starters, I love the scent, it is a very light coconut scent which makes it pleasant to apply unlike other suncreens that have that horrible synthetic smell (Nivea, I am looking at you!). It also isn't overwhelming thick but its isn't so light that you feel it is doing very little, as well as being absorbed quickly, which is convienient if you are in a hurry. I only had to apply it once a day, although I feel if you were in a hotter location i.e. not the UK you'd probably need to apply it 2-3 times a day. The main thing I look for in sunscreens is that it has UVA & UVB protections, because I've been caught out before by suncreens that only do one or the other, both are equally dangerous to the skin so double check you are getting both in the bottle. It is also rated as a 4 star product, and I never buy suncreen rated any less than 4 star, as well as being water resistant, although if you do swim with it, you need to be reapplying every two hours to be on the safe side. Not only that, this suncreen has the in built bonus of offering 12 hour moisture when you apply it, so not only are you being protected your skin is being hydrated too. Overall, this is a nice product, I would definitely buy again and recommend.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/30/2012 10:22:00 PM More reviews by Friisconica

I really like this Sunscreen, I love that it doesn't have a strong smell, it's a really light scent. (i hate strong scents, they mess with my allergies) But this one is perfect and i also like that It's hydrating but NOT greasy.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/20/2012 9:16:00 PM More reviews by EscalatorKid

I would buy this again, but ONLY if there weren't another alternative.

If you're the kind of person who wears a lot of lotion, you will probably like this.

I don't wear a lot of lotion. If I do, I use classic Johnson's baby lotion because it makes my skin so soft and doesn't feel nasty like "adult" formula lotions do. So, I didn't care so much for this. I have oily skin to begin with, so anything that adds more moisture or oil (in the summer, anyways) isn't particularly helpful.

As a sunscreen, it works quite well, but it can feel greasier than Hawaiian Tropic's "Sheer Touch" sunscreens.

It also has the bonus of smelling AMAZING. It has the same yummy tropical smell Hawaiian Tropic is known for. At the very least, it doesn't have that NASTY chemical smell that regular sunscreens tend to have. That alone would make me buy it if the Sheer Touch weren't an alternative.

Bottom line-- if you have oily skin, stick with the Sheer Touch. If you have dry skin, perhaps the Silk Expessions is good for you.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2012 7:56:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Lotion Sunscreen is a brand new product, the only "sunscreen with hydrating ribbons for continuous in-sun moisture. With it's ultra luxurious hydrating silk ribbons, Hawaiian Tropic's Silk Hydrating lotion sunscreen nourishes and pampers skin while providing broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection and 12 hour moisturization when out in the sun." This is my first Hawaiian Tropic product. Though I've never bought anything from this brand, I've admired their packaging for a while. I was sent this sunscreen for review by Influenster. The fill size of this sunscreen retails for $8.99 for 6oz. My little sample bottle contains 2oz (about $3 in value). Hawaiian Tropic claims that they do not test on animals, though there's some conflicting information out there, so please do your research and form your own opinion. This product is endorsed by the Skin Care Foundation, who recommends this product for daily use. This sunscreen was made in the USA.
I really like Hawaiian Tropic's packaging in general, Silk Hydration's is no exception. The sample comes in a recyclable plastic bottle with a brown flip top cap. The label features the brand and product name written in reflective bronze lettering. Some pretty orange flowers decorate the label as well. The back label is very informative, including product and company info, directions, warnings, and information on sun protection. It's rare for a sample/travel sized item to have such thorough labeling. The only downfall of this product's packaging is that it's a little bit hard to squeeze product out. That kinda takes away from the good points. The full size bottle is a little bit different, so perhaps it's a little more functional.
This lotion/sunscreen hybrid is layered together in the bottle, creating a pretty design of peach and white swirls. The lotion comes out of the bottle as a light peachy cream. It smooths over the skin very easily and sinks in quickly. If the greasiness of traditional sunscreens bothers you, Silk Hydration is a great alternative. It's not even a little bit greasy. Silk Hydration is the perfect name for this product. Immediately after application, my skin is silky smooth, fully moisturized. Hawaiian Tropic claims that this lotion provides 12 hours of moisture, I can't really speak for that, but it gives great moisture nonetheless. Hawaiian Tropic also makes mention of added luminosity; I never noticed it til today, it's subtle but there. As far as I can tell, there is no shimmer or glitter in the formula, so it may just be from the added moisture. Another great perk of this sunscreen is that you don't need to slather on a bunch of it. I've used it 6-7 times, and I've only made my way through 1/3 of the 2oz bottle.
I'm gonna start a controversy here. I barely ever wear sunscreen. Only when going swimming, to Kennywood or the zoo, outdoor concerts, the like. Never on a daily basis, mostly cause I rarely spend a lot of time outside. I walk about 2 blocks a day, that's not a lot of sun exposure. However, the other day I set out on my daily adventure, which usually lasts between 10-15 minutes, and wound up spending nearly 2 hours outside talking to a neighbor. Had I not been wearing Silk Hydration I probably would've burnt to a crisp, but I didn't even turn a little bit red. Impressive. This stuff stayed on even though I was sweating bucket. I can't really say it's better than any other sunscreen, but it gets the job done, at least for me. Now that I told you a little story, let's get to the facts. Silk Hydration is available in three levels of SPF; 12, 30, 50. The SPF 30 that I have is claimed to be water resistant for up to 80 minutes. This and all sunscreens should be applied 15-20 minutes prior to sun exposure for maximum protection, and should be reapplied when you get out of the water. The active, sun protecting ingredients are Octocrylene (5%) Oxybenzone (3%), and Avobenzone (2%).
Hawiian Tropic calls Silk Hydration's scent "light&tropical". Pretty accurate. This sunscreen completely foregoes the classic sunscreen scent, which I personally love. However, I also enjoy Silk Hydration's scent. It's very light and smells like a mix of coconut and orchid. Very summery and pleasant; less in your face than the scent of a traditional sunscreen. I really like the way Silk Hydration's scent sits lightly on my skin all day long, it makes me happy.
Silk Hydration was a great introduction to Hawaiian Tropic. I love this brand! I can't think of any cons except that it's a little hard to dispense. Packaging is very appealing and labeling is thorough. The product has a great texture and moisturizes really well. I get adequate sun protection from the SPF 30 version, but Hawaiian Tropic offers options to suit your needs. This sunscreen also smells fantastic. What's not to love? I plan to purchase the full size product when I finish off the sample. I certainly recommend Hawaiian Tropic's Silk Hydration. It feels a little bit pricey to me, but I think it's worth it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2012 3:47:00 PM More reviews by NikitaRose

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I have never rated a sunscreen so I have no idea what I should comment on. If it was a face sunscreen I could at least say how it feels under foundation but I can't do that here.
Anyway, the scent is what made me buy it in the first place, it is very summery and smells like a mix of coconut and banana to me, but in a good, not cocktail-y/bubblegum-y way. I never got sunburned when I was wearing it but I don't go to the beach before 3PM/4PM anyway. I have no idea if it's really water resistant because I always apply another layer when I come out of the water just in case.
It's easy to spread, doesn't feel greasy or oily and it dries pretty quickly so you don't walk around all shiny.
I would repurchase and I might try the SPF50 version as well. I've only used Nivea and Garnier sunscreens till now, this one is a bit more pricey (12/13 in my country) but it's worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2012 8:05:00 PM More reviews by bink180

I generally like the smell of this brand of sunscreen when it melts into your skin, its not the operpowering smell that you get with others. Anyway, I use this as a moisturizer during the day and it feels pretty nice. Very hydrating, water resistant (80 minutes). Since it's broad spectrum it covers UVA and UVB rays. So if you don't have this, I suggest you get it! 8.99 at Walgreens