September 21, 2014 | 1886 users online

Powder - W3LL PEOPLE - Altruist Mineral Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 8/27/2012 1:04:00 AM More reviews by mo98103

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've tried at least a dozen mineral foundations over the last couple of years - Alima, Christopher Drummond, Jane Iredale, Silk Naturals, just to name a few. This is a pretty good mineral foundation with a great color range, but it's a bit powdery/ashy/dry even for my oily skin, it just doesn't melt into your skin the way really good minerals do. I will still use the samples that I ordered, but I will mix them into my current fave, Mineralogie.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2012 12:06:00 PM More reviews by mooseformayor

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was amazed and surprised to open up my last Beauty.com order to see this in my order. When I picked it up and looked at it, I was mind-boggled and tried to figure out why this would show up in my box. Then I realized it was probably a sample freebie thrown in. I soon logged onto the Beauty.com website to see if W3LL PEOPLE was a new brand that Beauty.com started carrying recently. And, yes, indeed it is!

At first, when I removed the very generously sized container from the prepackaged plastic bag I was quite skeptical of the shade being a good match for my particular skintone. The one I received was #15, which is described as medium neutral on the Beauty.com website.

So I dabbed some on and began blending. While it's not an exact match, it did a very impressive job of somehow melding with my natural skintone, and by the time I was finished applying it looked very natural and virtually undetectable. I do think the shade I was randomly assigned is very forgiving on my light-medium skin, though of course I cannot freely vouch for everyone.

The ingredients are supposed to be healthy and free of the chemicals and additives that mainstream lines load their foundations up with. That is certainly part of the allure for me, but what's even more outstanding about this particular mineral powder is that it does a really fantastic job of mattifying and oil control. I have very oily skin pretty much all year round, but it is more prominent during these hot and humid summer months in NYC. I've been trying this powder for about a week now and the wear time is quite lengthy (on me it stays for about 6-7 hours) and oil breakthough really is minimal. Fantastic product! Oily ladies may want to pick this up and try it out especially if you've been through the wringer trying to track down your holy grail foundation/mattifier. Trust me, my face gets shiny within mere hours after morning makeup application but when I use this instead, it looks and feels fantastic like normal skin now (or as close to normal as mattified oily skin can get). Easily, five glowing stars!

I love this so much, I went ahead and purchased a backup.

Edit [August 31, 2014]: I had forgot about this powder foundation due to my insatiable quest to experiment with other powders even though I already knew how much I adored W3ll People's iteration. I picked it up again recently and the love affair has started all over again. W3ll People's Altruist mineral powder just blows every other powder, mineral or talc-based, out of the water. Theirs is so smooth and velvety that there simply is no comparison. I have tried a lot of powders and I can say with utmost confidence that W3ll People's mineral powder offers something so good and wholesome that you stop to wonder why you ever let yourself continue trialing other brands! The coverage is absolutely tremendous, making it ideal for those with hyperpigmentation, acne scars, dark circles, etc., yet the powder succeeds brilliantly in giving itself a "second skin" kind of feeling. It is lightweight and breathable and gives superb coverage - this is one paradox that somehow just works. And it by far has the best ingredients any powder could hope to have. I need to remind myself to stick with this one because the formula is virtually perfect. W3ll done, W3ll People!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No