W3LL PEOPLE - Altruist Mineral Foundation

4.3

This mineral foundation, paired with W3LL PEOPLE's Narcissist foundation stick, is wonderful. I'm in my mid-twenties and suffering through the breakouts I avoided in my teens, so my face is sensitive but needs coverage. This does the trick. It dispenses with parabens and fragrance (and even gluten, though I'm not sure that was really an issue) and still smells nice, gives great coverage and has this beautiful glow to it. This powder is especially nice because it just doesn't cake or crumble or settle in that aging way powder can. Important note: after applying, let it set for just a minute before you layer more on. It'll look even more covered after a moment's rest.

The cost is the big complaint, of course. On some level, I'm fine with shelling out money for something that actually works. It's my face, after all, and if I'm going to pay premium for anything it'll be for that. But, it's hard not be a bit tweaked by the idea that a good, hypoallergenic make-up has to be budgeted like you might budget your utilities bill.

Another significant complaint, on principle, is that fair-skinned folks like myself can pick from a lovely range of light to medium tones. But then there are no available shades for darker skin tones. This is something that W3LL PEOPLE ought to remedy ASAP.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I've tried at least a dozen mineral foundations over the last couple of years - Alima, Christopher Drummond, Jane Iredale, Silk Naturals, just to name a few. This is a pretty good mineral foundation with a great color range, but it's a bit powdery/ashy/dry even for my oily skin, it just doesn't melt into your skin the way really good minerals do. I will still use the samples that I ordered, but I will mix them into my current fave, Mineralogie.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was amazed and surprised to open up my last Beauty.com order to see this in my order. When I picked it up and looked at it, I was mind-boggled and tried to figure out why this would show up in my box. Then I realized it was probably a sample freebie thrown in. I soon logged onto the Beauty.com website to see if W3LL PEOPLE was a new brand that Beauty.com started carrying recently. And, yes, indeed it is!

At first, when I removed the very generously sized container from the prepackaged plastic bag I was quite skeptical of the shade being a good match for my particular skintone. The one I received was #15, which is described as medium neutral on the Beauty.com website.

So I dabbed some on and began blending. While it's not an exact match, it did a very impressive job of somehow melding with my natural skintone, and by the time I was finished applying it looked very natural and virtually undetectable. I do think the shade I was randomly assigned is very forgiving on my light-medium skin, though of course I cannot freely vouch for everyone.

The ingredients are supposed to be healthy and free of the chemicals and additives that mainstream lines load their foundations up with. That is certainly part of the allure for me, but what's even more outstanding about this particular mineral powder is that it does a really fantastic job of mattifying and oil control. I have very oily skin pretty much all year round, but it is more prominent during these hot and humid summer months in NYC. I've been trying this powder for about a week now and the wear time is quite lengthy (on me it stays for about 6-7 hours) and oil breakthough really is minimal. Fantastic product! Oily ladies may want to pick this up and try it out especially if you've been through the wringer trying to track down your holy grail foundation/mattifier. Trust me, my face gets shiny within mere hours after morning makeup application but when I use this instead, it looks and feels fantastic like normal skin now (or as close to normal as mattified oily skin can get). Easily, five glowing stars!

I love this so much, I went ahead and purchased a backup.

Edit [August 31, 2014]: I had forgot about this powder foundation due to my insatiable quest to experiment with other powders even though I already knew how much I adored W3ll People's iteration. I picked it up again recently and the love affair has started all over again. W3ll People's Altruist mineral powder just blows every other powder, mineral or talc-based, out of the water. Theirs is so smooth and velvety that there simply is no comparison. I have tried a lot of powders and I can say with utmost confidence that W3ll People's mineral powder offers something so good and wholesome that you stop to wonder why you ever let yourself continue trialing other brands! The coverage is absolutely tremendous, making it ideal for those with hyperpigmentation, acne scars, dark circles, etc., yet the powder succeeds brilliantly in giving itself a "second skin" kind of feeling. It is lightweight and breathable and gives superb coverage - this is one paradox that somehow just works. And it by far has the best ingredients any powder could hope to have. I need to remind myself to stick with this one because the formula is virtually perfect. W3ll done, W3ll People!