EltaMD Intense Moisturizer

Petrolatum, Paraffin, PVP Eicosene Copolymer. AS OF 12/13: Petrolatum, Parrafin EDIT: as of 9/14 - petroleum, paraffin.

on 7/11/2015 7:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Although I already have quite a few HG moisturizers in which I rotate through, I purchased the EltaMD Intense Moisturizer on the recommendation of a dermatologist to help ease the dryness of Retin-A effects (which I was just prescribed/am beginning to use this month for anti-aging). I have to say, I am loving this moisturizer.

This is a relatively "no nonsense" type moisturizer - it's pretty much just a lighter or more modern Vaseline. However, this is formulated specifically for moisturizing the face (or skin) so it is lighter, not so greasy, and won't break you out. Although instructions state you can blot the excess off my skin is so dry anyhow that this melts into it and there's no excess. Also, I get the impression this product helps the skin to retain moisture (and not just add it) because it is to be applied onto wet skin (like a Hyaluronic Acid). If you have really dry skin this would be an excellent addition a few nights per week; if you are a Retin-A user this stuff is a godsend! I also recommend this product for elbows and feet. The price is excellent as well - most dermas will sell it for $15-$20 but it can easily be picked up online for around $10 bux.

The only con I have is that its kind of difficult to squeeze out of the tube which can be annoying. I also couldn't give 5 stars simply because its such a basic, no frills product (IE no anti-aging ingredients, no anti-oxidants, etc) that it really is very specific to retin-A user, post proff. peel relief, those with ecema, etc. Even so, I definitely recommend this product - I don't think I will ever be without it in my arsenal.

on 4/17/2015 10:46:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

To offer a word of caution: The jar packaging is far superior to the 2.8 oz tube option. The tube is a hot mess.

The tube is not durable enough for the ointment-like texture. After a few months, two tubes began to leak at the seams because the thin plastic can't withstand the pressure of squeezing the moisturizer out. It's such a shame, but I've had to toss half full tubes because they were leaking inside my drawers and handbags. Hey EltaMD, take a lesson from Vaseline, Aquaphor (etc etc), and use a thicker plastic.

on 4/15/2015 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is a very simple barrier type moisturizer. I used it in the evening on a damp face right out of the shower by warming a small amount in my palms and then gently applying it to my face. I would rub any excess into my hands and arms. It would absorb into my hands and arms beautifully and leave them baby soft, however, on my face it would form a layer that I could feel even throughout the next day. I have sensitive skin with rosacea and so while this coating of product seemed to help protect my skin from environmental insults it also didn't allow my facial skin to breathe and I even feel like it held heat into my skin....not good for rosacea. Between the not so nice feel of it on my facial skin and it not really doing anything to help the overall moisture level or proneness to flakes on this area, I moved onto something else and this is getting used up when my legs occasionally need extra moisture. While this product has its merits given the simple ingredient list and its ability to sink into damp, healthy skin, it simply didn't work for me as a facial moisturizer.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Dermatologist's assistant gave me a sample to try - skin was hypersensitive and painful. Nope. It's just like soft vaseline, which on my skin does nothing. This actually irritates me, along with their sunscreen. I had bumps all over my face with two days of proper use. I just put it on again because my skin is so dry, and again, it doesn't feel good. My skin needs to breathe and absorb moisture. I don't need a protective barrier, I need a moisturizer without a bunch of exfoliating and tightening treatment in it, and I use my own SPF (Avene physical block). So, the search continues.

on 2/5/2014 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I have oily skin and live in a very humid, warm climate. My skin is prone to clogs and the rare, occasional breakout. For these reasons, the word "moisturizer" is not part of my vocabulary, and furthermore, why would I waste money and space in my stash on a product I don't need?

Well, it turns out, I do need one. Not daily, mind you, but a need exists because, like many ladies on a quest for glowing, clear, even-toned, plump skin, I have a tendency to go overboard. And when I do, my skin becomes angry, resulting in itching, redness, bumps, flakes - it's hideous.

Elta MD Intense to the rescue. This stuff, with its bare-bones, four-ingredient formula, has saved me time and time again. You think I'd learn my lesson and simply stop piling on the actives, the exfoliators, the masks, and maybe one day I will. But I adore the experimentation process because, every so often, you hit the nail on the head and find a product that rocks your world . . . . and brightens your skin. For that reason, I will always keep this on hand. The relief is instantaneous - the itching and burning are stopped within minutes of application. Not only does it soothe irritation, it also dramatically diminshes post-breakout redness overnight. Amazing. Truly, absolutely, tell-all-your-friends amazing.

I am a tough critic. I'm also usually in the minority when it comes to products that get "OMG! Best stuff ever!" reviews. So take that into consideration, folks, and order yourself a tube of this simple but hard-working moisturizer. (Did I mention it's only about $10 and will last you forever? Really - you only need the tiniest dab.) Brilliant.

on 1/20/2014 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

After all the rave reviews of this product on the skincare board, I had to try it for my sensitive, clog-prone, combination skin. But alas, it is not the answer to my finicky skin. I hate the way it remains greasy feeling on my skin, even though I apply a tiny amount to damp skin. But despite the greasiness, I still have dry flaky skin. And on top of that, it clogged my skin and irritated it, making it a bit redder than usual.

on 12/29/2013 2:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

After deciding to ban any face products containing acne-causing ingredients (esp. sodium laurel/th sulfate and cetyl alcohol) in frustration over constant hormonal/adult acne, I was desperate to find a moisturizer that didn't have that stuff in it for my sensitive/acne-prone skin. I did some searching on the MUA skincare board and kept seeing this recommended over and over and figured it was worth a shot. I was afraid it would be pricey given that it was a derm line and I'm usually a ds girl, but I got the 3.8 oz jar for $12. (There is also a 2.8 oz tube version for those who have a bacteria contamination fear - rightly so - with jars.)

This moisturizer boasts just two ingredients, which is unheard of, neither of which cause skin or acne irritation. It's non-comodegenic and all that other good stuff too. It's fairly basic, without sun protection, anti-aging or other such properties but that's not a problem for those of us who just want something to moisturize our face without making it break out. As far as that goes, this is a godsend.

It does "melt" practically on contact with your fingers and a little goes a long way, so just a small amount can easily be used over your whole face. I only apply only at night, as the jar says it only needs to be applied once daily for "24 hour moisture." After I put this on, (after washing with Cetaphil antibacterial cleansing bar and applying Acnevir to my chin) I wait a few minutes and then use a tissue to wipe off excess. This does have a slick (I hate to use the term greasy because that conjures bad ideas, but it could apply too) feeling and finish and will make your face shine. I wouldn't recommend using this before you're going to put on makeup. It's not terrible - it gave my powder foundation a dewy finish - but it may impair it's coverage and lasting power to some extent. So, that's why I use it only before bed. In the morning when I wash my face again, my skin does not feel tight without it.

Although I don't feel that this is "deeply moisturizing" I do feel that it works well to keep my skin hydrated. I do not have any dry patches or flakes, and my skin feels tight very rarely (occasionally just for a minute or two between washing and putting on my PhysForm Mineral Wear Talc-Free powder foundation, without a layer this, primer or anything else in between). I don't know that this really penetrates the skin as much as it just locks in skin's own natural moisture.

I apologize for the long review but when looking for a moisturizer that won't cause blemishes, I figure the more info you can get, the better. And yes, this is the best part: since I've changed my skincare routine and starting using this moisturizer three weeks ago, I have not had a SINGLE new blemish. This was completely unheard of for me, and I am floored. I don't expect that I will never have another blemish again, but the reduction has been incredible. I've gone from having anywhere from 1-6 at a time on a regular basis to 0.

I highly recommend this and will definitely be buying again when the jar finally runs out.

UPDATE, AUG 2014: the jar finally ran out. Lasted 8 months with daily use! And yes, I'm still loving it!

on 12/1/2013 11:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Giving this a neutral review because while this doesn't work for my skin, my mother loves it. EltaMD Intense is like a much more cosmetically elegant Vaseline. It's not as greasy, heavy, or sticky and the way it smooths on to skin is pretty impressive. However my skin doesn't like the PVP Eicosene Copolymer because I find it oddly drying. Works really well for my mom tho and she's a fan of the lighter texture, ease of application, and the way it seems to sink in but provide lasting moisture at the same time. If you're ok with the ingredients this is a nice alternative to Vaseline or Aquaphor.

on 10/22/2013 12:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I will never ever be without this moisturizer. I've tried hundreds over the years. Literally hundreds. All of them clogged, broke me out or flared my SD.

This is hands down the best thing I've ever used on my dry, acne and clog prone skin. It's a "melting" moisturizer that must, I repeat MUST be used on damp skin. Take a tiny bit, let it "melt" a bit on fingers, and smooth on. It sinks into skin instantly and makes my skin look and feel deeply hydrated. NO fragrance at all. You can adjust the amount your skin needs and probably have to play with it a bit to get the right balance. It's easy to use to much, if you do you can just blot off the excess.

I use a spray bottle of water to dampen my skin if I'm using it with other actives and it works fine with RX meds (excellent for skin beat up and flaking from acne meds)

Nice to use as a "mask" also, just slather on a ton of the stuff (it's cheap enough) and leave it sit until it all soaks into skin.

I always order two at a time, I get mine from Lovelyskin.com at around $14.00 per tub, but use frequesnt discount codes so it's around $10.00 per. I use a small spatula to remove it, but it also comes in a squeeze container that is a smaller size.

Those with dry acne prone skin owe it to themselves to try this!!

on 10/3/2013 7:14:00 PM

This is a fantastic "moisturizer" without any irritants/acids/etc. This really needs to be used on damp skin, to lock in the moisture. I purchased this on Amazon for about $10 (cheapest I've seen online). I normally switch out my nighttime treatment routine every other day and needed some extra oomph for the dry winter time. I apply a tiny pearl size drop all over my face after using a treatment, and leave some of the Intense on my lips as well.

BAM! The next morning, my skin was nice and dewy, no tightness, and my lips were super hydrated compared to the dry, rough lips I typically have despite numerous lip balm trials.

This is a great way to protect your skin from drying out and I've found it to be quite mild on my temperamental skin. Don't forget to buy it on Amazon for the cheapest price!