December 21, 2014 | 1725 users online

Scrubs - Pai - Kukui & Jojoba Bead Skin Brightening Exfoliator

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2014 12:26:00 AM More reviews by alina08

This feels very oily on my skin for and exfoliator and I feel the need to wash my skin twice with this product. As far as exfoliating goes, I did not find this product to be good at exfoliating. I give it three stars for the organic ingredients and its usefulness as a pre-cleansing step. As an exfoliator this is nothing special.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/13/2013 8:22:00 PM More reviews by helenavera

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Far too harsh for sensitive skin. Scratches rather than exfoliates. I don't know what Pai were thinking!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/6/2012 1:14:00 AM More reviews by THLuver33

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I do not like feel like this product does much in the way of exfoliating my skin. My skin feels the same as it did before I washed my face with this. I may finish the sample but I will not be purchasing the full size product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2012 1:17:00 PM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

It hardly seems fair for me to list this product as a 'scrub' since it's probably the most sensitive-skin-friendly exfoliator I've tried ... but there didn't seem to be a more suitable option, so here it is.

This stuff is great!

I am basing this review off a sample of this product, which was big enough to allow me to use it once a week for 3 weeks. I do currently plan to acquire the full size product when my budget permits. (It's 20 for 30ml).

I have very sensitive skin which is easily irritated, especially on my usually-quite-red cheeks. My skin can be very reactive, and I break out easily, so finding products that work for me can be a challenge. Usually physical exfoliation is a major no-no for me ... anything beyond carefully gentle use of a soft muslin cloth with a gentle cleanser will usually leave me beet red, with hot, angry cheeks. (And my skin is much more likely to break out when irritated!) For this reason, I usually only use chemical exfoliants like AHAs, and keep them away from my cheeks entirely.

I am giving you this background information so that you will know that when I say this:

*This exfoliator left my skin refreshed, calm, happy, brighter, well-exfoliated, and not at all irritated.*

... you know it means something.

Because, wow. I'm impressed. Obviously YMMV, but for my skin Pai's Kukui & Jojoba Bead Skin Brightening Exfoliator was a GREAT compromise between effective exfoliation, actual skin benefits, and zero irritation. My skin has been doing great while using this product, so I am pretty confident in saying that it does not cause break-outs for me.

This product is yellow, with a gel-type consistency; it has small visible exfoliating beads in it, and a really lovely scent which is citrus-y and fresh smelling; mildly fruity but not in a too-sweet or sickly way - it smells refreshing.

When you first spread it on clean dry skin, it can feel a little thick/sticky/rich. It is a bit difficult to spread a small amount over a large area, which I imagine has something to do with why they suggest you use two pumps of product. I only massage very gently, and I'm especially careful over my cheeks at this 'sticky' stage. You are meant to gently massage your skin in an upward circular motion, avoiding the eye area.

Next, you add a little bit of water, just with your finger tips. The gel melts quickly into a white "hydrating milk". This stage feels great. The beads mostly stick around, but you get that 'slip' that you need to massage your skin more easily. This stage feels like I'm simultaneously exfoliating and soothing my skin, which is a totally alien concept to me! I'm still careful with my cheeks, but I do give my skin a good gentle massage. It seems like some of the beads sort of melt away, and some of them stick around until you rinse off the hydrating milk.

You rinse with warm water; I've also used a soft, wet muslin cloth just to make sure I've gotten rid of any remaining jojoba beads. It leaves a slight residue, but when I look at my face, it's ... guys ... it's less red than how it used to look after cleansing! Yes, absolutely 'brighter' and softer, but still calm. Since my skin is showing/telling me that it's happy, I don't worry about the slight feeling of residue, and just proceed with moisturizer etc. But I think if this bothered you, you could probably do an extra rinse/wipe and/or use a separate cleanser.

This isn't a product I would recommend to *everyone*. If you've got normal skin which can tolerate a lot, I guess you'd probably feel like it wasn't doing a very efficient job of exfoliating. I'm also not sure if people with very oily skin would like it, since it does have a 'hydrating' feel, and contains Omega 3 and 6 as well as a range of oils. Then again, what do I know, you might love it.

The people who I would recommend this to are those with sensitive skin, who want a non-irritating exfoliator which also has some good skin-nourishing ingredients; particularly if you're interested in more organic/natural skincare. I would suggest that you try before you buy; fortunately Pai has a sampling program available on their website which makes this a lot easier. (All ingredients are also clearly stated online, so I'll entrust you to Google to find those details.)