October 24, 2014 | 1049 users online

Makeup Brushes - Sonia Kashuk - Brush & Sponge Cleanser

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2014 1:10:00 AM More reviews by Calumae

I bought this brush cleanser thinking it would be a good once-a-week deep clean. I can't stand this product. It lathers up reasonably well, but the problem is that it doesn't actually a lot of the makeup on my brushes. My blush brushes are still pink after and the foundation brushes still have colour on them. It's not that my brushes are stained - when I use my other cleanser or soap the makeup comes right out.

The worst part about this cleanser is that it never washes out. With my denser face brushes, this stuff literally gets trapped in between every single hair and doesn't wash out no matter how much I rinse the brush. After rinsing several times, the brushes still have a foamy lather when I rub them against a paper towel to get rid of excess water.

I tried using it and putting up with the mess for three times before I gave up. Don't bother with this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/12/2014 1:41:00 AM More reviews by miniequalcrzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

UPDATE: OMG, THIS DESTROYS MAKEUP SPONGES it's like some crazy beast like my blending sponge literally mutated. MUTATED. So, don't follow the instructions on the back and "spray a generous amount" onto the sponge, you will have a deformed sponge and it will take forever to wring it out to bring it back to it's regular fluffy self.
I swear I thought this was gonna kill my makeup tools...
if you've bought this don't just throw it in the trash though just use a little bit sprayed onto your sponges if you do use them, I've noticed that works better.

This is actually a pretty good product. I don't understand all the bad reviews it's not even that bad. If you use makeup that's easy to get out (non long wearing or waterproof) this will do the job pretty nicely! It got out most of the foundation in my blending sponge, the rest of it was removed with dove bar soap but I could have used this cleanser again and it would do the same thing.

What I do is squirt it from afar so it's not a stream, it's somewhat more like a spray (not really but you get the idea) and make sure I hit all the stains and then leave it in there for a few seconds and then start massaging the sponge and it works great!

Would I repurchase? No...because I can just use dove soap to clean my sponge and I use shampoo for my brushes but because I have a bottle of this just sitting there I'll use it until it finishes.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/5/2014 1:13:00 AM More reviews by abb1992

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was super disappointed with this cleanser. I usually wash my brushes with Olive oil & dawn dish soap, but was looking for something different because I have a lot of trouble getting my revlon colorstay foundation out of my brushes. I had high hopes for this cleanser! I sprayed a generous amount on to my brushes with futile results. Not one ounce of makeup came off!! Needless to say, I'll be returning this asap. Only plus is the price (6.99) was definitely affordable for a cleanser had it worked properly!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2014 11:50:00 PM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I normally just use baby shampoo to clean my makeup brushes, but I wanted to try something else, so I thought I'd try this. I was not impressed. This product is for deep cleaning your sponges and brushes. I used one of my foundation brushes to see how it would clean it, but it didn't even remove all of the foundation. Then I tried it on one of my dark eyeshadow brushes, and there was a lot left over in the brush. The worst part is the packaging, it doesn't "spray", it only "squirts" as in it comes out in a long stream of liquid. I returned it and got more baby shampoo.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2014 11:47:00 PM More reviews by halfpastsunday

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Whenever Sonia Kashuk redid the packaging for the brand, they must have changed the formula for this. Which is really unfortunate because I loved the 'original.' The 'new' version is absolute crap. I used it to clean a brush that I use solely for face powder (which other brush cleansers usually have no problem cleaning) and this BARELY removed any of the makeup off. Such crap! I am pretty sure that it probably won't do anything for a liquid or cream foundation brush. Along with the 'new' formula' and packaging, the nozzle on the new bottle sucks too. The old packaging with the white nozzel would spray a fine mist of the cleanser onto the brush, the new one just squirts it out. Ugh.

The 'original' cleanser was fantastic though and I purchased many bottles of it.

I guess it's time to find a new one.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/8/2013 1:56:00 AM More reviews by xshado

I was so happy to read "brush and SPONGE cleanser"
I REALLY wanted to like this product because it was so cheap and i finally found something to clean my brushes and my beauty blender sponge. P.s i dislike returning things, its such a drag.
So i gave it a try, i used my beauty blender on it, and MOST of the makeup did come off but after squeezing and squeezing the excess water off, little bubbles went into the water (indicating that there was still some of the product in there)
I was also hoping that it would bubble up and it would be foamy, but it wasnt at all. Even with more than 2 sprays, it wouldnt foam up!
The product wouldnt come out!!
So i tried it on one of my brushes, and the makeup came off fast, but it just didnt seem like the brush was thoroughly clean
The smell isnt that great, i was hoping it wouldnt be so scented,
I dont even know how to describe the smell, its bleh!
Overall, didnt like it, i guess i have to keep searching or just make my own!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2013 1:46:00 PM More reviews by smashlers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I like everything about this sponge/brush cleaner! It lathers really well with a lot smaller amount than I expected.
I switched from Sephora's Makeup Brush Shampoo which just uses so much product and always has to be washed twice. I've also tried baby shampoo but I also felt like I was just wasting a lot of product because of the bottle and trying to make sure I got a good lather. I also had to wash everything twice for it to feel clean.

Pros:
- sprays, foams and rinses out well
- can see everything coming washing off of brushes and sponges
- small amount of product needed
- easy to use spray bottle
- sponges and brushes feel and look a lot cleaner

Cons:
- no cons

This is recommended for a once a week shampoo. I hope Sonia Kashuk comes out with a daily brush/sponge cleanser similar to Sephora's daily antibacterial brush wash because I would definitely buy it if they did!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2013 5:02:00 PM More reviews by mzjade22

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried this and dont really like it. The smell is awful, and it doesnt really get the brushes as clean as what I was using previously (Baby shampoo/baby oil/baking soda).
I found i had to use a TON of this, and it the brushes still werent clean. One or two spritz didnt cut it, the water never ran clean and the brushes still felt dirty. Mind you I wash my brushes no more than bi weekly, so there isnt THAT much gunk to get out.
For the price, it works as an ok pre treatment for really gunky brushes (foundation/cream products), but the way I was doing it before works much better, and is cheaper.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2013 11:03:00 PM More reviews by FusiaFever

This was my first brush cleanser. I can say that it doesn't work as well as I thought it did. I noticed this after purchasing MAC's brush cleanser. Even plain old anti-bacterial Dial soap works better at cleaning brushes than this product.

I prefer the thicker liquid of Dial soap or more foamy MAC cleanser. I was squirting so much of the Sonia Kashuk cleanser to get the same effect. And you just didn't get that streak of make up coming off into the water. I felt that this product was frustrating with all the rubbing required. It got me to spraying the formula right into the bristles.

Overall, I found this product was a waste of money. If Dial soap works better, then why spend twice as much for a smaller bottle of this stuff? Just my two cents. Not repurchasing.

ps One of the cheapest ways to clean your brushes/sponges is...mix 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 dish washing soap in a bowl. Swirl the brushes in the concoction and wash under stream of water.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2013 2:42:00 PM More reviews by violetfairygirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Here are the details of my particular brush situation: I own mostly synthetic EcoTools brushes, with a couple of the ELF Studio brushes (which I think may also be synthetic) - nothing super high-end, the Sephora eyeliner brushes I have are the most expensive of the lot. I don't wear foundation on a daily basis, nor do I use makeup sponges, so most of the makeup residue on my tools is powder eye products, or cream eyeshadow or blush. The majority of my makeup is drugstore brands, and the occasional MAC product.

I also don't tend to use makeup brushes every day - I have a backup or two of the ones I use the most, like my eyeshadow blending and eyeliner brushes, so while I am washing all of them every two weeks that means I am washing each brush after 2-3 uses max.

I picked up this cleanser when my brush collection got large enough that I felt like it was worth taking better care of. It does smell very strongly of lavender, and your brushes will smell like it no matter how well you rinse them, so be aware of that if you're sensitive to scents. It even sticks around on my hands for a while afterward, because I use my hands to work it into the fibers. It takes the makeup residue off all of my brushes completely, and does not leave any residue behind.

My method with the cleanser is to take 2-3 of my brushes and position the heads in the palm of my hand over the sink, and then spray them with the cleanser. (The instructions say to wet the brushes first, but like another reviewer I feel like the cleanser is more effective if I start with dry brushes.) This helps prevent waste, because the excess cleanser stays in my hand, and then I swirl the brushes around in it to help work it into the bristles. I keep them angled down during this whole process to make sure I'm not getting any in the ferrules (the metal part that secures the brush to the handle) that will loosen the glue or cause rot. Then I wet my hand and swirl the brushes around some more, to help work it into a lather. At this point I can either set them aside for a minute to let the cleanser break down more stubborn products, or I rinse them out under the faucet until the water runs clear.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. It's reasonably priced for how much you get - I've been using it regularly for about 4-5 months, and have used less than 1/5th of the bottle. My brushes have stayed in very good condition, and are nice and soft. Previously I had been using shampoo or a little eye makeup remover to wash my brushes, and while those were probably just as effective, they were not as convenient for me. I find myself washing my brushes more often because all I need is my hands and a sink. (And some room to set them out to dry, but that is a whole other story.)

If you own a lot of high end or natural fiber brushes, it may be worth investing in a higher end brush cleanser or just sticking with shampoo to keep it economical - I have heard that natural fiber brushes can be harder to clean (simply because natural fibers have more texture that will hold onto product, which is what makes them ideal for powder products). If you are a light brush user with more low-end or synthetic brushes, you will probably find this worth the money. And know that it's strongly scented!