Sonia Kashuk Brush & Sponge Cleanser

2.4

on 2/5/2015 5:08:00 PM

I am pretty sure I remember reading this was re-formulated quite some time ago. My bottle is the 'new' formula. I used it the first time to clean about 15 brushes and it worked like a charm. Very subtle smell that was pleasant to me (and I am picky and sensitive abopt smells and scents). It did a good job, I was pleased. Price was good value, or so I thought!!! HOWEVER.....Fast-forward to the second time I went to use this:::: I sprayed the first brush and it sprayed 2 or 3 times then clogged....I ran the nozzle under warm water a good while and it was still clogged. Took the entire nozzle off and ran the entire thing under warm water a while, and it was still clogged. Basically a brand-new bottle. I was desperate to clean my brushes and it was the dead of winter with a storm on the way so I ended up dumping a tiny bit at a time in the palm of my hand and cleaning 2 -3 brushes at a time. Huge pain, let me tell you, but they still got cleaned. So I took off a good deal of stars because of the faulty nozzle. I have played with makeup and hair products for almost 30 years and never had such a problem. So, because of the faulty nozzle, I would not buy this again. Bummer because it worked pretty decently. Had it not clogged up so new, I would probbaly have given 4 stars and a re-purchase nod. But this new of a bottle, used just one time before, should not be clogging like crazy like this. And I realize I could possibly decant this into another spray bottle (and liekly will, to save the product), but should not have to do that!! I tied to work with the nozzle and get it to work, but it was a no-go. So to me this is a pass. There are other products out there that do not need TLC to get them to work (not that this even works at all now). Will not re-purchase. Bummer....:((

on 1/16/2015 11:42:00 AM

This is much cheaper than most spray-on brush cleaners, but a huge waste of money. Even after spraying tons of product on my brushes, I could still see foundation and concealer on the brushes, which comes out easily when I use a shampoo or face cleanser. No sense in spending 7 bucks plus tax on something that doesn't do what it promises. I have found most of Sonia's products to be high quality, affordable alternatives to high end options, so this one was a big disappointment.

on 7/20/2014 1:10:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I bought this brush cleanser thinking it would be a good once-a-week deep clean. I can't stand this product. It lathers up reasonably well, but the problem is that it doesn't actually a lot of the makeup on my brushes. My blush brushes are still pink after and the foundation brushes still have colour on them. It's not that my brushes are stained - when I use my other cleanser or soap the makeup comes right out.

The worst part about this cleanser is that it never washes out. With my denser face brushes, this stuff literally gets trapped in between every single hair and doesn't wash out no matter how much I rinse the brush. After rinsing several times, the brushes still have a foamy lather when I rub them against a paper towel to get rid of excess water.

I tried using it and putting up with the mess for three times before I gave up. Don't bother with this product.

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

UPDATE: OMG, THIS DESTROYS MAKEUP SPONGES it's like some crazy beast like my blending sponge literally mutated. MUTATED. So, don't follow the instructions on the back and "spray a generous amount" onto the sponge, you will have a deformed sponge and it will take forever to wring it out to bring it back to it's regular fluffy self.
I swear I thought this was gonna kill my makeup tools...
if you've bought this don't just throw it in the trash though just use a little bit sprayed onto your sponges if you do use them, I've noticed that works better.

This is actually a pretty good product. I don't understand all the bad reviews it's not even that bad. If you use makeup that's easy to get out (non long wearing or waterproof) this will do the job pretty nicely! It got out most of the foundation in my blending sponge, the rest of it was removed with dove bar soap but I could have used this cleanser again and it would do the same thing.

What I do is squirt it from afar so it's not a stream, it's somewhat more like a spray (not really but you get the idea) and make sure I hit all the stains and then leave it in there for a few seconds and then start massaging the sponge and it works great!

Would I repurchase? No...because I can just use dove soap to clean my sponge and I use shampoo for my brushes but because I have a bottle of this just sitting there I'll use it until it finishes.

on 6/5/2014 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was super disappointed with this cleanser. I usually wash my brushes with Olive oil & dawn dish soap, but was looking for something different because I have a lot of trouble getting my revlon colorstay foundation out of my brushes. I had high hopes for this cleanser! I sprayed a generous amount on to my brushes with futile results. Not one ounce of makeup came off!! Needless to say, I'll be returning this asap. Only plus is the price (6.99) was definitely affordable for a cleanser had it worked properly!

on 2/3/2014 11:50:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I normally just use baby shampoo to clean my makeup brushes, but I wanted to try something else, so I thought I'd try this. I was not impressed. This product is for deep cleaning your sponges and brushes. I used one of my foundation brushes to see how it would clean it, but it didn't even remove all of the foundation. Then I tried it on one of my dark eyeshadow brushes, and there was a lot left over in the brush. The worst part is the packaging, it doesn't "spray", it only "squirts" as in it comes out in a long stream of liquid. I returned it and got more baby shampoo.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

Whenever Sonia Kashuk redid the packaging for the brand, they must have changed the formula for this. Which is really unfortunate because I loved the 'original.' The 'new' version is absolute crap. I used it to clean a brush that I use solely for face powder (which other brush cleansers usually have no problem cleaning) and this BARELY removed any of the makeup off. Such crap! I am pretty sure that it probably won't do anything for a liquid or cream foundation brush. Along with the 'new' formula' and packaging, the nozzle on the new bottle sucks too. The old packaging with the white nozzel would spray a fine mist of the cleanser onto the brush, the new one just squirts it out. Ugh.

The 'original' cleanser was fantastic though and I purchased many bottles of it.

I guess it's time to find a new one.

on 9/8/2013 1:56:00 AM

I was so happy to read "brush and SPONGE cleanser"
I REALLY wanted to like this product because it was so cheap and i finally found something to clean my brushes and my beauty blender sponge. P.s i dislike returning things, its such a drag.
So i gave it a try, i used my beauty blender on it, and MOST of the makeup did come off but after squeezing and squeezing the excess water off, little bubbles went into the water (indicating that there was still some of the product in there)
I was also hoping that it would bubble up and it would be foamy, but it wasnt at all. Even with more than 2 sprays, it wouldnt foam up!
The product wouldnt come out!!
So i tried it on one of my brushes, and the makeup came off fast, but it just didnt seem like the brush was thoroughly clean
The smell isnt that great, i was hoping it wouldnt be so scented,
I dont even know how to describe the smell, its bleh!
Overall, didnt like it, i guess i have to keep searching or just make my own!

on 8/19/2013 1:46:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I like everything about this sponge/brush cleaner! It lathers really well with a lot smaller amount than I expected.
I switched from Sephora's Makeup Brush Shampoo which just uses so much product and always has to be washed twice. I've also tried baby shampoo but I also felt like I was just wasting a lot of product because of the bottle and trying to make sure I got a good lather. I also had to wash everything twice for it to feel clean.

Pros:
- sprays, foams and rinses out well
- can see everything coming washing off of brushes and sponges
- small amount of product needed
- easy to use spray bottle
- sponges and brushes feel and look a lot cleaner

Cons:
- no cons

This is recommended for a once a week shampoo. I hope Sonia Kashuk comes out with a daily brush/sponge cleanser similar to Sephora's daily antibacterial brush wash because I would definitely buy it if they did!

on 8/2/2013 5:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

I tried this and dont really like it. The smell is awful, and it doesnt really get the brushes as clean as what I was using previously (Baby shampoo/baby oil/baking soda).
I found i had to use a TON of this, and it the brushes still werent clean. One or two spritz didnt cut it, the water never ran clean and the brushes still felt dirty. Mind you I wash my brushes no more than bi weekly, so there isnt THAT much gunk to get out.
For the price, it works as an ok pre treatment for really gunky brushes (foundation/cream products), but the way I was doing it before works much better, and is cheaper.

Top Rated Sonia Kashuk Products