October 21, 2014 | 1414 users online

Hair Treatments - Philosophy - Clear Days Ahead Oil-Free Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment & Moisturizer

rated 4 of 5 on 9/30/2014 6:33:00 PM More reviews by socharming

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

I bought this because it's one of the few salicylic acid moisturizers that have the correct % and pH range (according to Paula's Choice).

I've been using this for about 2.5 months and I'm quite pleased with it. After an initial 3 week purging period, it has actually kept my skin very smooth and clear. It's not very moisturizing, so even for my combo/oily skin this won't be sufficient in the winter. But it's perfect as a summer time moisturizer if followed by an SPF product.

It's very pricey for an acne treatment that doesn't really do much else, and I hate the flip top cap. The opening is way too big and too much product oozes out with even a mild squeeze of the tube. SOLUTION: I switched caps with one from a handcream I have (not Philosophy), which is the same size but a much smaller opening. Works great now! Perfect amount of product every time!

I'll repurchase this until I can find a less expensive substitute that works equally well....

My question is this: With facts about salicylic acid's efficacy in a limited % and pH range widely known in the beauty industry (hello Internet Age), why do most companies still KNOWINGLY manufacture and sell acne products that just don't and CAN'T work????

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2014 9:00:00 PM More reviews by aquarianrabbit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this moisturizer! I bought it as insurance against acne, not really as a treatment for existing acne, but it does help with that, too. I read about it on Paula Begoun's website, which I read with a grain of salt (or two), and thought that I would try it out because I have mild acne and also some hormonal acne. It's really pleasant to use and feels very silky. It does contain a lot of silicone, but not cyclopentasiloxane, which is the only one my skin really hates. It dries pretty quickly and does a good job of moisturizing without being oily or clogging. I actually love the feel of rubbing it on my face.

I used it day and night and it lasted me a few months. I definitely plan on repurchasing because it helped keep acne at bay and kept my existing acne from blowing up. The only thing wrong with this moisturizer is the horrible packaging. It comes in a squeeze tube that always squirts out too much and leaks all over the inside of the cap. It would be so much better housed in a pump jar or with a tube that had a smaller opening. Regardless of the crap packaging, though, I'm picking up another tube.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2014 12:33:00 AM More reviews by jenglund

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I was pretty excited about this. I was using Paulas Choice BHAs, which were the only products that have ever minimized my nose blackheads (or filaments, whatever they are...either way, nothing...not retinol, AHAs, peels, Clarisonic, Oxy Pads....has ever cleared them).

Unfortunately, PC really irritated me with their robotic customer responses, failure to publish less than stellar reviews, refusal to acknowledge silicones and other ingredients in their products cause acne for some, and misleading research references...I.e., references to non peer reviewed journals, references to articles about drinking alcohol to show how alcohol is bad for skin, etc.

Anyway, she does have good reviews as far as saying which exfoliants are at the proper ph for effective exfoliation (and saying which sunscreens provide adequate UVA protection). So I consulted those for a BHA alternative. This ranked as a "Best" product (with, of course, a snarky reference to her own "superior" BHA products).

However, after several days my blackheads actually got worse. You'd think since I was already using a 2% BHA, the 1% would help maintain minimal appearance of those little buggers. Nope. My nose is as clogged and dotted as ever. I will be returning this product and going back to a simple regimen of CeraVe cleanser and moisturizers with some drugstore 2.5% BP for my acne. That honestly makes me look clearer and healthier than any high-end product I've tried.

By the way, I won't harp on it since others have already provided critiques of the packaging, but it irritates me that the tube comes seemingly half empty and the hole squeezes out about 4 times more product than necessary. After years of customer feedback, I can only assume that Philosophy continues to package it this way knowing people will over-pour it and need to repurchase it frequently.

For the meager extra beneficial ingredients, the price is absolutely ridiculous for the amount you get, too. For $40 I expect some antioxidants, more moisturizing ingredients, something. Pretty basic for a high end skin care line. Hmph. Not pleased with Philosophy and probably won't try anything from their line again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/11/2014 11:27:00 AM More reviews by mrsCuevash

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My sensitive/combination skin LOVES this stuff!!! Had bad irritation on my face after using Olay's serum and 7-in-one moisturizer; this felt good on my skin right after application and next morning my face was no longer red and it cleared up the tiny pimples I had!!! I cannot use Benzoyl (too harsh for me) but this absolutely did not irritate me! No dryness at all! It's kinda pricey, kinda, but you do get 2 oz which is about $20 per oz (not too bad) and it works!!!!! It works great under makeup too! Oh and beautypedia gives this high ratings.....I can understand why!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by Lorel1

This is a nice lotion textured acne treatment that did exfoliate my skin, but did not leave me with clear skin! Something in this treatment is causing abnormal breakouts. Just too bad, because I heard nothing but great about it. Everybody's skin is different!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2013 11:02:00 PM More reviews by jenniferjones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really love this moisturizer. I use it every morning after cleansing and before sunscreen. It has really helped keep my skin clear and that's saying a lot. I also end up using it most afternoons after work or after a workout and it's not drying for me at all (my skin is very oily and acne prone). It also mattifies slightly and has a velvety texture once you apply it. The opening to dispense the product is wayyy too big so be careful this stuff will fall out and you really don't need a lot to cover your entire face and neck. I have repurchased at least 3 times and will continue to buy, again just a really great product it works well for me I love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/11/2013 11:44:00 AM More reviews by frankiiekeji

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Philosophy and I just dont go well together. I realize that now. I have oily skin and the only thing this product did was clog my pores long enough for me to think it was helping with my oil. Beyond that , this product did nothing for me. After a couple days of use, I noticed 8(!!) huge welts where no welts had been before and my pores especially around my nose were incredibly clogged.

This product has some pretty atrocious packaging as well. it comes in a tube and has a hole that is too large, allowing this (ineffective) expensive moisturizer to leak out. Literally money down the drain. I will be returning this product and my ability to buy into the philosophy hype back to the store today.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2013 7:47:00 PM More reviews by nuggetdevourer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an excellent product. I don't usually get acne but this product being a BHA exfoliant means people who don't suffer from chronic acne still benefit and I have incredibly smooth skin as a result. It has helped to reduce and prevent blackheads, which I am prone to getting, and salicylic acid is apparently a good anti aging ingredient too.
Last night I'd developed a pimple close to my eye area as a result of what I can only guess is my very pore clogging makeup. I applied this on the area (along with the rest of my face) before going to bed and this morning, the pimple was much smaller and less inflamed looking and I expect it will be completely gone by tomorrow.
Even though it says it's a moisturizer, you might want to follow this up with serums and another moisturizer as this isn't as hydrating as a typical moisturizer, and it's a BHA exfoliant first and foremost so unless you have oily skin that doesn't need a lot of hydration, you will probably *want* to use another moisturizer afterwards.
I've only been using this for 2 weeks and originally purchased it because I have constantly red cheeks that I suspect are the beginning of rosacea, and BHAs are touted as a product that can help with reducing redness. I'll update this review in the future to report if I see any noticeable improvements in the redness of my cheeks or not.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2013 10:33:00 AM More reviews by kpennock

I think in the little clearer days ahead kit this was my favorite thing. It moisturizes, has a pleasant smell, helps keep my oil controlled and heal/prevent some blemishes. I still get some acne here and there but hormones...what can you do lol.

It feels very smooth on and I really really like it. I might buy the full size once my smaller one is done but that little tube goes a LONG way.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2013 9:13:00 AM More reviews by Jennazie

Best product I have ever used for my acne. I am 32 years old and have been struggling with acne since my teens. I have never written a review for anything and have tried every acne product out there, but I have never come across a product this good. The packaging isn't the best, the product tends to spill out because the hole is way too wide for the product to come out. It is pricey, but it's totally worth it. I didn't think it would clear my skin as well because it only has 1% salicylic acid, but I guess more isn't always better because this really does clear up my skin and it doesn't dry it out. I gave it a few weeks before writing a review, and I can say now that it's totally worth giving this product a chance. Highly recommend it!