Neutrogena Clear Face Sunblock Lotion SPF 55

3.4

on 8/4/2015 11:30:00 PM

GREAT if you have acne!! I have acne prone skin and this doesn't break me out while still getting the job done! Doesn't feel too greasy either and doesn't leave a super white finish either. Only complaint is that over time it does turn a bit too liquidy and watery for my liking, however I do lots of traveling and do not wear it every day so after a year or more I can understand why this would happen. Would reccomend to acne prone skin types though!

on 8/4/2015 10:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

So this stuff would be perfect if not for the fact that they've added CINNAMON BARK to it. Why they felt the need to do such thing I couldn't tell you but there you go. That's why you'll see that a lot of people are complaining about this stuff burning or causing redness.

Other than the cinnamon though, it's pretty awesome so it might be worth trying if you've got acne prone skin and want a higher spf but you have trouble finding ones that work. Just make sure you save the receipt... Personally, I think it's worth trying bc it doesn't cost loads of $$$ and you don't have to order it online.

As for the actual finish it's like a cross between a regular spf and a liquid spf, which I like. It's not matte, but it's not shiny either. I have pretty sensitive skin but for whatever reason, I don't find this stuff nearly as irritating as the Neutrogena liquid spf and I think it gives me way better protection than the liquid stuff (that stuff seems to rub right off me). It's also not as thick and occlusive as Neutrogena's lotion spf so it doesn't break me out or feel disgusting. I DO occasionally feel a burning sensation from it though and i suspect it's due to my occasional use of retina a (my skin can get even more sensitive when I use it).

I use this on top of Paula's Choice RESIST Daily SPF Fluid spf 50 because that stuff is basically just a liquid spf and I don't completely trust it on its own (if I get sweaty I feel like that stuff just rubs right off). Also FYI a huge reason I switched to chemical SPFs like this one is that Consumer Reports recently tested a ton of SPFs and basically none of the physical spfs from drugstores performed well!

on 8/2/2015 8:51:00 AM

I used this product when I had really bad acne, but it did not seem to have an effect on breakouts. At least it did not cause me to have additional breakouts, for which I am eternally grateful. I noticed my face was more matte when I used this, which at the time was a plus. The high protection is great but I am not a big fan of chemical sunscreens so I have since stopped using this product. Additionally, I have no idea what half the ingredients are, which does not entice me to buy.

on 8/2/2015 5:35:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love this product! Where other sunscreens make my skin oily and give my pimples, this doesn't. For summer, it is perfect! It sits imediately in my skin, I just use it as a moisturizer and out my make-up over. It even dries out the small pimples if they come up hormonally related. No burning here, even not around the eyes, what the majority of prducts does. The spf works well for my fair skin, protecting my skin well, usually all day long (ofcourse depending of the sun exposure). This product isn't sold in Europe (as far as I now) unfortunately.

on 6/27/2015 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This was a big fat fail for me. I have oily, sensitive, acne prone skin. I tried wearing this under my makeup a few times and it never worked. First of all, it BURNS like hell! It burned on my eyes and all over my face. It eventually died down and I applied my makeup as usual to find that my entire face was bright red because it was so irritated! It looked like I had a sunburn (I am very fair). It didn't leave a white cast but was greasy and irritated my skin horribly. I would not recommend this to anyone with oily/sensitive skin.

on 5/9/2015 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

A few MUAers have inquired about my experience with Neutrogena's Clear Face SPF55. To be honest, I didn't even know it existed until 2 weeks ago. I bought it with intentions of reviewing it for any of my other greasy pale gals out there, so here are the results.

By no means is this a bad sunscreen. I've tried about one hundred by now and can assure you there are way worse ones on the market.

The pros:
-Liquid consistency (less cakey than most)
-Great price
-Keeps my oil at bay for a decent amount of time
-Isn't drying nor full of alcohol
-Is not greasy
-Oil free
-The active SPF ingredients are stable
-No white cast. (this is a neutral point in my book)

Neutrogena Clear Face SPF55 works pretty decent for my oily skin. I'm in Texas, too, so that adds to the grease factor. This holds up about 6 hours with my favorite matte fndt before I need to do a touch up with setting powder.

I should probably also note on the no white cast aspect. This is a chemical SS! It does not contain zinc or titanium dioxide. This trait will hit a home run with most people, but for me, i prefer a tiny bit of a whitening affect. Not because I like being pale, but because it typically lightens my foundation shade a bit. And god knows barely any companies make a shade pale enough for me. So my holy grail foundation, Rimmel Stay Matte in Light Porcelain, looked a bit noticably dark as I wore this for 2 weeks.

That's not a big deal. However here is what I really didn't like about the product:

-Other sunscreens keep me matte longer
-Chemical sunscreens burn my face...I've suspected it for ages but this product sealed the deal. :(
-I noticed several pimples in places I rarely get them. IE my forehead. I suspect this is related to the irritation issue and not the lack of oil control to be honest.

Although this sunscreen did not work for me, I think it's still worth a shot for everyone else out there. The cons I found with it seem to be a individual problem vs a problem with the formulation as a whole.

on 5/26/2014 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Love this!! I use this as my moisturizer before my makeup! People who say it burns probably needs to moisturize their skin more! Anyways, this I love! It leaves a fresh appearance on my face- not oily and no white cast!! This is perfect for the summer. Will repurchase!

on 2/11/2014 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This is good sunscreen.. but NOT for face. I use it on my body only, great for shoulders, hands and chest.
I dislike it on my face because:
- It feels sticky
- It has a burning feeling (sometimes)
- It makes my face sweaty, greasy.. and I do not have an oily skin type
- Leaves white film (when it's very hot, and I sweat)
- Can cause breakouts

on 10/4/2013 5:44:00 AM

I have been using this all summer and like it very much. Has effective active ingredients, doesn't make me shiny or break out and doesn't smell bad or leave a white cast. That's all I ask from a sunblock. A little thick though.

on 5/29/2013 11:01:00 AM

This product was specifically recommended by my dermatologist. Unfortunately, it causes burning, stinging and irritation. After that subsides, the product is fine, but I don't want to use it due to the irritation and sunscreen is a must for me every day, rain or shine, due to melasma.