Neutrogena Clear Face Sunblock Lotion SPF 55

3.5

on 6/27/2015 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This was a big fat fail for me. I have oily, sensitive, acne prone skin. I tried wearing this under my makeup a few times and it never worked. First of all, it BURNS like hell! It burned on my eyes and all over my face. It eventually died down and I applied my makeup as usual to find that my entire face was bright red because it was so irritated! It looked like I had a sunburn (I am very fair). It didn't leave a white cast but was greasy and irritated my skin horribly. I would not recommend this to anyone with oily/sensitive skin.

on 5/9/2015 9:39:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

A few MUAers have inquired about my experience with Neutrogena's Clear Face SPF55. To be honest, I didn't even know it existed until 2 weeks ago. I bought it with intentions of reviewing it for any of my other greasy pale gals out there, so here are the results.

By no means is this a bad sunscreen. I've tried about one hundred by now and can assure you there are way worse ones on the market.

The pros:
-Liquid consistency (less cakey than most)
-Great price
-Keeps my oil at bay for a decent amount of time
-Isn't drying nor full of alcohol
-Is not greasy
-Oil free
-The active SPF ingredients are stable
-No white cast. (this is a neutral point in my book)

Neutrogena Clear Face SPF55 works pretty decent for my oily skin. I'm in Texas, too, so that adds to the grease factor. This holds up about 6 hours with my favorite matte fndt before I need to do a touch up with setting powder.

I should probably also note on the no white cast aspect. This is a chemical SS! It does not contain zinc or titanium dioxide. This trait will hit a home run with most people, but for me, i prefer a tiny bit of a whitening affect. Not because I like being pale, but because it typically lightens my foundation shade a bit. And god knows barely any companies make a shade pale enough for me. So my holy grail foundation, Rimmel Stay Matte in Light Porcelain, looked a bit noticably dark as I wore this for 2 weeks.

That's not a big deal. However here is what I really didn't like about the product:

-Other sunscreens keep me matte longer
-Chemical sunscreens burn my face...I've suspected it for ages but this product sealed the deal. :(
-I noticed several pimples in places I rarely get them. IE my forehead. I suspect this is related to the irritation issue and not the lack of oil control to be honest.

Although this sunscreen did not work for me, I think it's still worth a shot for everyone else out there. The cons I found with it seem to be a individual problem vs a problem with the formulation as a whole.

on 6/21/2014 12:24:00 PM

I have tried many sunblock on my Face this is the only one that I have found that does not cause me to breakout. It is thin and non greasy. Leaves no shine or chalky look. works well with makeup. Seems like I am getting good protection, too. I will continue to buy. It does tingle a little when you first put it on, but I have not had any irritation to date. At least, It does not cause zits on me!

on 5/26/2014 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Love this!! I use this as my moisturizer before my makeup! People who say it burns probably needs to moisturize their skin more! Anyways, this I love! It leaves a fresh appearance on my face- not oily and no white cast!! This is perfect for the summer. Will repurchase!

on 2/11/2014 3:34:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

This is good sunscreen.. but NOT for face. I use it on my body only, great for shoulders, hands and chest.
I dislike it on my face because:
- It feels sticky
- It has a burning feeling (sometimes)
- It makes my face sweaty, greasy.. and I do not have an oily skin type
- Leaves white film (when it's very hot, and I sweat)
- Can cause breakouts

on 10/4/2013 5:44:00 AM

I have been using this all summer and like it very much. Has effective active ingredients, doesn't make me shiny or break out and doesn't smell bad or leave a white cast. That's all I ask from a sunblock. A little thick though.

on 5/29/2013 11:01:00 AM

This product was specifically recommended by my dermatologist. Unfortunately, it causes burning, stinging and irritation. After that subsides, the product is fine, but I don't want to use it due to the irritation and sunscreen is a must for me every day, rain or shine, due to melasma.

on 8/10/2012 10:08:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I've been very impressed with this. I have sensitive, clog-prone, and combination skin, which makes finding a good sunscreen a constant problem. Many turn my face into a stinging, bright red, clogged, oily mess. The ones that don't tend to have a lower SPF levels. I find this to be a great compromise. I have no abnormal break outs after 2 weeks of use. There is mild stinging when I first apply, but it lasts very just a minute or two. The finish is very nice, and I've had no issues applying foundation or powder over it. Plus, it was around $10. I have half-empy bottles of sunscreen that cost many times that.

on 7/22/2012 9:51:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure

Without exception no sunscreen has ever gone so far to break me out as this has. It goes on well enough, seems to absorb to some extent, but makes me one greasy mess by the end of the afternoon. Yes, I have very oily skin, but Mother Nature is much easier on my pores than this is. Less than one week using it and I am having to take extreme measures to get my skin back in shape. My only hope is to use it on my body and pray that it doesn't cause havoc there.

on 7/11/2012 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This has been my staple sunscreen for the face this summer. I've tried several sunscreens and have not found one that doesn't cause my oily skin to become even more so, break me out, or leave a very white cast to my naturally dark skin. This one works. I feel like I could easily wear this under makeup, although I haven't tried it. (I probably should be wearing it daily under my makeup, but I digress.) It dries quickly, but not so quickly that it's hard to blend in. It does smell like typical sunscreen, but the scent fades pretty fast. It didn't leave me feeling greasy and, most importantly, it didn't clog my pores and leave me with a huge break out after my week at the beach. I will continue to rely on this formula for my face!