August 1, 2014 | 1700 users online

Gels/Soaps - Pears Soap

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2013 9:21:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I picked this soap up at my local dollar store, and I love it. Super affordable, this smells and performs wonderfully. I use it on my face in the morning without the drying effect I get from most other soaps. I went back to the dollar store and picked up 3 more bars just so I won't run out. I don't know if this is the old formula or the new formula. So, it should be interesting to see how future bars compare. But so far I'm very happy with this product.

Edit: Make sure you only use this on your body. As my grandmother always told me, you never use soap on your face.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2012 3:44:00 PM More reviews by cleo_satsweet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this soap for nostalgi purposes at walmart. I remember my gramma bathing me in this when I was a toddler...anwyays, back to the future. This is not a bad soap by any means and I would only use it in the summer since it maybe too dry for me in the winter.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2012 5:02:00 PM More reviews by VioletAutumn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

Advantages: modern pear cleans i geuss. The old version is better.

Disadvantages: mordern version : chemicals

Pears soap has a long history , and its one of the reasons i loved using it.

The brand of soap first produced and sold in 1789!
by Andrew Pears at a factory just off Oxford Street in London, England...
''Pears Soap was the world's first registered brand and is therefore the world's oldest continuously existing brand.''

Unfortunately it's no longer an English brand,Pears soap is now made in India by Hindustan Lever a company in which Unilever controls a fifty two percent of it.

Pears Soap was often used by the elderly for its skincare properties,
once again unfortunately Recent changes to the quality of the ingredients used in the manufacturing process have changed and made the physical shape of what pears use to be. today the bar is flatter rather than concave, and there's a difference in scent with the classic version.

quote:''The aroma, which used to be a characteristically mild, spicy fragrance, is now a very strong frankincense-like smell. Again, in the UK the same has been noticed in 2009 with a scent almost like coal tar and with a reduction in the moisturizing properties, and in a differently shaped bar.''

it now comes in two new sizes: 69g and 119g...Now this soap comes in three co lours, the classic amber, the green, and mint (blue color),each one with a different aroma.

''The original listed ingredients were: Sodium Palmitate, Natural Rosin, Glycerine, Water, Sodium Cocoate, Rosemary Extract, Thyme Extract, Pears Fragrance Essence.''

Todays ingredients for Hindustan Lever produced soap from 2003 were ''Sodium Palmate, Sodium Peanutate, Rosin, Sodium Stearate, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoate, Aqua, Alcohol Denat, Parfum, Benzyl Benzoate, Eugenol, Cinnamal, Limonene, Linalool, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate.''

as you can tell they stripped pears herbal like properties and added there own chemical mix to the soap...

I don't understand why they changed it in the first place..pears was popular back then why change something that wasn't broken to begin with?

The original version was completely free of industrial cleaners, free of synthetic colours and (apparently) free of synthetic odorants.

hopefully someone in England will buy back Pears and bring it to its original glory as a herbal soap.

i bet it got changed because it's cheaper to make
chemical soap.

anyway i give this extra stars for the original formula and for the sake of the pears name and old reputation.. for the modern soap i give 2.5 stars.