December 21, 2014 | 1609 users online

Gels/Soaps - Alaffia - Authentic African Black Soap - Peppermint

rated 1 of 5 on 2/1/2013 4:06:00 AM More reviews by leavetaken

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

i really loved alaffia's black african soap--- before it was reformulated. now its scented in citrus or peppermint and is nothing like its former self.
it used to be THICK, it used to smell so earthy, like dirt. now its runny and watered-down and lacks that true hippie scent.
i purchased its old formulation by bulk from some hippie drugstore in Madison, WI. you can now find alaffia nearly everywhere. you guys are a let down now that you came into town. do something about it :) i loved you so

rated 3 of 5 on 11/30/2012 6:06:00 PM More reviews by katmendez

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

this is billed as an all-in-one product, so i shall review it as such.

i tried this as a shampoo first. YUCK. it barely lathered (and that's with adjusted expectations for natural shampoos) and left my hair course and sticky.

as a face wash, it was a winner: mild, yet effective. as many have commented, this noticeably reduces acne. african black soap applied with a bamboo face brush is an ideal combination because the brush sloughs off dead skin while the natural soap minimizes irritation.

additionally, this can be used as a body wash. it works for that, but isn't my favorite.

so while i was looking for a natural shampoo, i found a face wash! just don't think this is an all-in-one.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2012 4:05:00 PM More reviews by nuclearbeth

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love this stuff! I bought this on a whim while shopping in health food store, and I am so glad that I found it. I constantly battle breakouts, rashes, dry skin, itchiness, and redness. This calmed my skin down without clogging my pores. My skin has not looked this good in years! I have to admit that I was skeptical when I noticed that mint was the first ingredient listed. I recommend ignoring the ingredient list and just trying it. You won't regret it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2012 7:23:00 PM More reviews by ljoseph29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this at Whole Foods as a last resort because they didn't have my favorite Nubian Heritage bodywash. I really love peppermint scents so that's what really urged me to buy it. While I used it, my shower was filled with the perfect, aromatic balance of peppermint essential oil. When I say that was an awakening scent, it really was! It left my skin feeling minty clean and moisturized. I will repurchase this soap again and probably try the tangerine citrus next time. Idk if it is black soap because the ingredients would say plaintains and black ash, but then again it makes my skin feel glamorous.