November 1, 2014 | 885 users online

Nails - Sephora - Sephora by OPI GelShine Kit

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2014 7:09:00 PM More reviews by joiseygirl27

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Fantastic kit. I only wish the color selection was better but I find other brand gel polishes work fine with this base coat & top coat. I am that person who polish never lasts on, I'm talking not even an hour but with this kit I can get 2 weeks out of my manicure & only then do I remove it because of the obvious nail growth.

You have to cure until the polish is no longer tacky. I cure many more times than the instructions say. When I only cured one time per coat, my polish would peel after a few days. Curing for longer allows me to get much more time out of my manicure. It is very important to clean the nails with the nail cleaner after. One time I didn't & the residue got all over my hand towel after I washed my hands.

Sallys sells pointed q-tips which are great for wiping off mistakes.

After doing one hand, you must roll the colored polish back & forth in your hand a few times because it settles in the bottle.

Once this is cured, it is set. I can do anything right after doing my nails... dishes, yard work, you name it & no chips or peeling. I recommend not using your nails to pick stuff, like barcode stickers that come on newly purchased items.

The removal sucks. Really bad. I can only do one hand at a time because once the wraps are on one hand, I don't have the dexterity to do the other hand. So, it takes me a good 45 mins or so to remove the polish from both hands. I really recommend not doing more than 2 coats of the colored polish because when I've done 3 coats, it took FOREVER to remove the polish, I'm talking like I had to leave the nail polish remover soaked wraps on my nails for 40 mins (twice as long as it should take) to get it off. And speaking of the remover wraps, I purchased them for much cheaper at Sallys than Sephora charges. You MUST remove the polish properly with nail polish remover- DO NOT peel or scrape it off or you will peel off layers of your actual nail (learned that the hard way XD ).

This is how I do it:
1. Remove / push back cuticles.
2. Buff nails (this roughs the nails up to help the polish stick better).
3. Use the cleaner (I believe that is rubbing alcohol packaged as a nail cleaner) with the lint proof pads to remove any residue from the nails (any residue must be removed from the nails so the polish adheres properly).
4. Apply base coat to thumb. Cure once. Then apply first coat. Cure twice. Apply second coat. Cure twice. Apply top coat. Cure three times. Then do the same with the rest of the nails on that hand. Thumb must be done seperately because you can't fit your whole hand under the light.
5. Use the cleaner with the lint proof pads to remove any residue from the nails. If polish is coming off on the pad then after I wipe all the nails down, I will cure again & rewipe with another cleaner soaked pad to ensure all polish residue is off the nails.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by Caxap

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm addicted!!!! I NEVER painted my nails before because it was too frustrating to dry them for what felt like a lifetime and then watch them chip and wear away immediately. This kit has solved everything!
It takes me about 1-1.5 hours to do, including all the prep (like cutting my nails), and Im very detail oriented so that's why it doesnt go quickly.
Result: shiny, beautiful nails that NEVER chip (unless you take something sharp to them). They do wear off at the tips, but it's not noticeable.
My manicures last 8-10 days. I don't use the polish remover b/c they are easy to peel off once they're ready to go. I think this thins out the nail though... But I dont care, my nails are always short =P
I have most of the shades, and some go on easier and smoother than others.
Advice:
1) Paint before bedtime, so your nails have the whole night to settle.
2) DO NOT shower right after painting! Ive done this once and the polish literally melted/migrated into the edges of the nail.
3) Cure each nail immediately after painting with color. The polish tends to migrate into the edges of the nail. Some polishes are worse than others when it comes to this (worst offender: Already Famous).
4) Dont use on toenails. Difficult to control and cure and doesn't last as long as regular polish.
5) Dont be sloppy!!!!! It will compromise the longevity of the polish.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2013 7:41:00 PM More reviews by dreamspice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've had gel manicures before and *loved* them. My nails just do NOT hold on to nail polish no matter what I do and with gel manicures my polishes last for well over a week. So when I saw this kit, I had to give it a try. I knew it might be a bit difficult to use and not as long lasting as the salon product but I thought it would be worth it. I love this home kit. It has everything you need and I can even layer the products with my regular nail polishes for longer wear (though not as long as gel polishes). It does take some getting used to, working with these gel polishes, but it's worth it. I just wish there was a better selection of colors. Sephora only has a few colors and they are always going out of stock.

EDIT: Since writing this review, I've bought my mom the Red Carpet Manicure kit from Ulta. It's a fraction of the price of the GelShine kit and the product performs the same. For that reason, I'm taking one lippie off my overall rating and giving it one lippie for price (because you can actually buy a full-sized lamp for what you pay for a GelShine kit!!) Seriously, I do NOT recommend buying this kit! I would NOT buy it again!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 8:58:00 PM More reviews by moee323

I am an employee of Sephora and an avid fan of their products, this is definitely one of my favorites. I got this as a Christmas present from my mom, and even my boss is in love with it. The LED is much faster than the UV like axxium. The colors are also OPI so they are tried and tested. Also, you can widen your color selection with this machine and get OPI gelcolor, their real/not sephora brand, of nail polish that works just as well. I currently have on bare to be different, and absolutely love it. The only thing that I would say is follow the directions to a tee.

The cost is 159$, and that is actually not a bad deal for many reasons. One, it is not a crappy machine. Two, it is from a great company that values their customers both opi and especially sephora. Thirdly, the company will always be there to make refills and extras, unlike some companies that make a product then disappear and you cannot get more polish or whatever it may be. Lastly, they will return it if you dont like it.

This is hands down, no pun intended, one of the best things Sephora has to offer!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2012 11:50:00 AM More reviews by marchigiano

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The GelShine kit is an incredible at-home manicure set. While I did find this set pricey at first, I looked into the professional one by OPI and it runs at almost $600 CDN so $189 CDN seems like nothing in comparison.

I find the manicures very easy to do, using patience and taking your time to ensure not to bleed into the cuticle is key. It took me about 20-25 minutes the first time, but I now have it down to about 11-15 minutes. I love not waiting for the polish to dry! I get easily 2 weeks per manicure and could stretch to 3 if I needed to. Removal is easy enough, and if I'm in a rush I'll just peel it off..and the integrity of my nails is always left in tact.

I hope they release more colours soon, as the current selection isn't the greatest. Metro Chic and Seeing Pink Elephants have to be my favourites!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2012 2:12:00 AM More reviews by motleyutube

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This kit is essentially a shellac at home nail system that comes complete with everything you need to do a full on shellac/ gelshine manicure. It includes an led lamp instead of the uv lamp salons use and cuts the lamp time to 4 30 sec dry time. It also includes removal items which takes an easy carefree bandage type system that takes 20 min to remove in the leisure of your home. No soaking in acetone like at the salon which ruins your nails, this system leaves your nails as they were before you apply the polishes which by the way are the exact same colors OPI creates with the same name, For example, Lincoln Park After Dark. Ordered that one online though. It's crazy easy crazy good and so pretty. Way better than the salon experience and way faster and healthier. My sister and I are in love with it. Tiard of your great long lasting color? Change it on minuets. You can't go wrong. Fool proof and fantastic.