August 20, 2014 | 1868 users online

Gels/Soaps - Bath and Body Works - Malibu Heat

rated 3.0(1 review)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2012 2:20:00 AM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Bath&BodyWorks Malibu Heat is the newest seasonal scent in the Signature Collection. Malibu Heat seems quite popular, at least among girls on Tumblr. This scent is available in a variety of products from Fine Fragrance Mists and Body Lotions to sunscreen and hair products, I only have the shower gel. Bath&BodyWorks makes some pretty boastful claims about their shower gel formula, calling it the "worlds best daily luxury", which I think is just a little bit extreme. Bath&BodyWorks describes Malibu Heat as a "fresh blend of juicy pineapple, California orange, and creamy coconut milk, inspired by the hot pink sunsets and 27 miles of beautiful beach." I purchased my 3fl oz travel sized bottle for $3.34 on a 3/$10 deal. Mini shower gels retail individually for $5, or you could upsize to a full 10fl oz size for $11. Bath&BodyWorks products are made in the USA an are cruelty free.
Bath&BodyWorks mini shower gels come in a clear, plastic, recyclable, hourglass shaped bottle with a pop top cap. A full ingredient list is available on the back of the bottle, along with a little bit of company info. I find that the pop up dispensers on the mini shower gels tend to gum up and get clogged, which is inconvenient but easily fixed with a hair or safety pin.While the packaging isn't anything exciting, the label is.
Malibu Heat's label reminds me of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. The 80's theme, the saturated color scheme, even the color of the gel just shouts "Vice City" to me. I know Vice City is based on Miami, not Malibu, but this scent could easily have been called Miami Heat, but the NBA team probably wouldn't have liked that. Anyway, I find the Malibu Heat artwork really appealing for a couple reasons, aside from reminding me of one of my all time favorite video games. I love the bright, warm color scheme of reds, yellows, oranges, whites and hot pinks. I also like that the label varies from product to product. On the shower gel label, a man carrying a surfboard heads toward golden waves and a bright pink sunset, just like in the scent description. "Malibu" is written in bold teal letters, with "heat" underneath it, in white, italicized cursive. Remind you of something? The Vice City logo?
Bath&BodyWorks says that their shower gels are "supercharged with benefits that make it the world's best daily luxury. These shower gels have been formulated to provide the ultimate shower experience, pampering you with luxurious lather, moisturizing aloe, and nourishing vitamin e that gently cleanses, softens, and fragrances the skin." Sounds to me like Bath&BodyWorks is a little bit full of themselves. Bath&BodyWorks does make a good shower gel though. They lather exceptionally well, so you only need the tiniest bit. They also feel pretty good on the skin, but they don't have any special features like moisturizing, exfoliating, etc. They're a bit better than basic body wash that gets the job done in a very bubbly manner. Not "supercharged with benefits", not "the world's best daily luxury", but good. My favorite part of Malibu Heat Shower Gel? It's aqua.
Malibu Heat seems quite popular. There was a lot of hype about it before it was officially released back in May. I rushed out and got it right after it came out, but I didn't really use it til I was here in Aus. Talking about it last night, Boyfriend and I agree that this scent could be unisex. That's very uncommon in Bath&BodyWorks' world of feminine, fruity, florally, sugary sweet scents. Before I go on, let me list out the scent notes.
Top Notes: Fresh Mandarin, Juicy Orange, Crisp Pear, Succulent Pineapple
Mid Notes: Orange Blossom, Lily of the Valley, Coconut Water
Dry Notes: Coconut Milk, Creamy Vanilla, Sandalwood, Sunny Musk
What I like about Malibu Heat? It smells HOT. When you take a whiff of this scent it legit smells warm, and gets warmer as you smell it. That's unique. However I'm having a really hard time discerning any scent notes. Malibu Heat smells very artificial and kinda cheap to me. I pick up warm, kinda bitter orange notes, some muskiness, and a creamy aspect that I assume comes from the coconut milk and vanilla. I feel like there is also something berryish about this scent, but there are no berries among the notes. Boyfriend says he smells mint, but that also isn't mentioned. Idk, Malibu Heat is a very strange scent, hard to describe. The scent notes aren't defined enough to pick up any in particular, but they also haven't fully melded together either. I don't think the notes compliment each other much either. Bitter, Hot, Creamy, Musky. You can't have everything in one scent. I don't think this is Bath&BodyWorks best composed scent. I'm sure they tried, but I think Malibu Heat could've been better. If making Malibu Heat smell hot was the brand's goal, the certainly succeeded, but they didn't create the way blend of coconut, pineapple, and oranges that they described.
Like all Bath&BodyWorks shower gels, Malibu Heat doesn't linger on the skin for very long. This is easily solved by layering it with other Malibu Heat products. You could reek of this scent if you wanted to, since there are hair care and sun care products on top of the normal body care and scent range.
I'm not really a fan of Bath&BodyWorks Malibu Heat. That's the unpopular opinion though. A lot of girls are really enjoying this scent, and it's not bad, just not that good either. I think Bath&BodyWorks should've just spent a little more time on getting the scent notes more defined, more blended, or both. I understand why it's popular, it's super summery. Maybe I'd appreciate it more if it was summer here. I find the heat aspect of the scent intriguing, it suits the name and imagery of the product really well. I think I made it clear that I love Malibu Heat's imagery, but unfortunately I can't repurchase a product just because it has a pretty label. I can't recommend this scent, but I do recommend trying it out in one form or another next time you hit up Bath&Body