September 18, 2014 | 2045 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Complete Salon Manicure Smooth & Strong Base Coat

rated 1 of 5 on 8/30/2014 1:37:00 PM More reviews by K8

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This goes on smooth and dries quickly, but every one of the nail polishes I've tried over it has gotten goopy and/or took FOREVER to dry. It makes a mess of whatever polish you put over it.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/29/2014 3:03:00 AM More reviews by Mandi1115

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

At first it was a fairly decent base coat, though it was quite thick and I didn't like the opaque bottle. About a 1/4 of the way into the bottle though it's become too thick and stringy and leaves bubbles all over my nails. I definitely don't recommend it. Of all the base coats I've tried so far, Sally Hansen Maximum Strength with retinol and nylon is the best. For a ridge filler, the Sally Hansen Nail Rehab seems to be pretty good so far.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2014 10:38:00 PM More reviews by maria526

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've got a couple pretty prominent ridges on my thumb nails, so have been looking for something that will smooth them out. This base does the best job of anything I've tried at eliminating those bad boys, though the nails are still not perfectly smooth (perfection may be impossible in this case). It does completely cover a smaller ridge on one of my finger nails - you can't even tell it's there when the nail is polished. As others have mentioned, this is pretty goopy and you have to be careful not to put it on too thick, or it'll bubble a little bit. It takes a little longer to dry than other base coats I've tried, but I'd say it's worth it. It would be nice if the bottle were transparent. I would re-purchase, but will probably look at other bases as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2014 11:02:00 PM More reviews by prettyhauteone

I have a new appreciation for this base coat. My nail color is always smooth and lasts a long time when using this polish. I switched to another popular base coat for a while just out of boredom (CnD sticky), which was a mistake. Now, I am back to this one and my manicure is lasting much longer again. Sometimes this best products are not always the most hyped ones.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by carbongrey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

There's nothing special about this base coat. It's fairly thick and doesn't seem to fulfill any of the promises it makes on the bulky packaging - smoothing out nails, filling in ridges, etc. I paid $3 for it on sale, I think the full price is something like $7.99, which I wouldn't be willing to pay. It has a fairly strong smell and doesn't dry very quickly. The bottle is an opaque green color which doesn't allow you to see the consistency of the polish. I wouldn't buy this again, but it's not so bad that I'll refuse to use it altogether.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2013 9:39:00 PM More reviews by MadnNatsmom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My 47 year old nails are so ridgey that I almost have up trying to wear my beloved cream polishes. Ive tried all drugstore base oats that supposedly filled ridges with poor or little results, most recently 'ACI Bridge the Ridge' which got good reviews.

But, fortunately I bought this on a whim, never hearing or reading about this product beforehand. I do need two coats, but, omg, what a difference!!!! I am going to stock up before they either change the formula or discontinue. Truly awesome..

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2013 11:22:00 PM More reviews by lizzea

I like this base coat, affordable and does its job. I only wouldn't buy it again because I like trying different products.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/30/2013 10:52:00 AM More reviews by okienat33

Like not love this product. It just feels a little thick & goopy but a good product for the money

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2012 3:47:00 AM More reviews by Gossers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This base coat got the job done. I don't think it evens out my ridges that well, but then again I don't really care to have an even nail bed. The polish sticks fairly well to the base, but I've seen better. I will say that my bright red polishes never stain my nails when I use this base. Bottom line: Get it if it's on sale.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/29/2012 7:13:00 PM More reviews by makeupbylaura1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this base at CVS when I was searching for a good base. This base does smooth and prep your nail so that it can be ready to apply your nail color. I did not notice any ridges on my nails and I really liked that.