December 20, 2014 | 1732 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Complete Salon Manicure Smooth & Strong Base Coat

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2014 7:49:00 PM More reviews by newsystyle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Absolutely did not work for me in the least as a base coat. No matter what nail polish brand I'd use with it, it would peel off in sheets within a day. It's about $8 full price, which I unfortunately paid. The opaque, bulky packaging is simply not smart. Probably a little more than half way through the bottle (can't really tell because opaque), the product becomes thick and stringy and more difficult to apply. I've been trying to give this a chance for months, but I'm tired of my manicures simply peeling off. Will not repurchase and cannot recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2014 9:47:00 AM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am really glad I found this nail product! Here's why, I have Psoriatic Arthritis and it actually gives me ridges in my nails. I never had them till this disease popped into my life. I noticed everytime I put on polish because of the ridges it would come off. The whole polish just gone! I tried every basecoat you can think of. Didn't work! So,when I saw this in CVS and was like why not try it I want to wear polish. So I applied one coat it dried very quick too. I then used Zoya in Mason which is a nice fall/winter shade. Guess what 5 days later it's still on! No loss of colour at all! I'm so happy because I didn't know what to do. So this may not be the best for everyone, but if you have ridges give it a shot. Because now my nails look so smooth and they do feel stronger. I am so happy I found this product because I really missed doing my nails. Now i have that back:) Recommended!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/30/2014 1:37:00 PM More reviews by K8

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This goes on smooth and dries quickly, but every one of the nail polishes I've tried over it has gotten goopy and/or took FOREVER to dry. It makes a mess of whatever polish you put over it.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/29/2014 3:03:00 AM More reviews by Mandi1115

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

At first it was a fairly decent base coat, though it was quite thick and I didn't like the opaque bottle. About a 1/4 of the way into the bottle though it's become too thick and stringy and leaves bubbles all over my nails. I definitely don't recommend it. Of all the base coats I've tried so far, Sally Hansen Maximum Strength with retinol and nylon is the best. For a ridge filler, the Sally Hansen Nail Rehab seems to be pretty good so far.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2014 10:38:00 PM More reviews by maria526

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've got a couple pretty prominent ridges on my thumb nails, so have been looking for something that will smooth them out. This base does the best job of anything I've tried at eliminating those bad boys, though the nails are still not perfectly smooth (perfection may be impossible in this case). It does completely cover a smaller ridge on one of my finger nails - you can't even tell it's there when the nail is polished. As others have mentioned, this is pretty goopy and you have to be careful not to put it on too thick, or it'll bubble a little bit. It takes a little longer to dry than other base coats I've tried, but I'd say it's worth it. It would be nice if the bottle were transparent. I would re-purchase, but will probably look at other bases as well.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2014 11:02:00 PM More reviews by prettyhauteone

I have a new appreciation for this base coat. My nail color is always smooth and lasts a long time when using this polish. I switched to another popular base coat for a while just out of boredom (CnD sticky), which was a mistake. Now, I am back to this one and my manicure is lasting much longer again. Sometimes this best products are not always the most hyped ones.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by carbongrey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

There's nothing special about this base coat. It's fairly thick and doesn't seem to fulfill any of the promises it makes on the bulky packaging - smoothing out nails, filling in ridges, etc. I paid $3 for it on sale, I think the full price is something like $7.99, which I wouldn't be willing to pay. It has a fairly strong smell and doesn't dry very quickly. The bottle is an opaque green color which doesn't allow you to see the consistency of the polish. I wouldn't buy this again, but it's not so bad that I'll refuse to use it altogether.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2013 9:39:00 PM More reviews by MadnNatsmom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My 47 year old nails are so ridgey that I almost have up trying to wear my beloved cream polishes. Ive tried all drugstore base oats that supposedly filled ridges with poor or little results, most recently 'ACI Bridge the Ridge' which got good reviews.

But, fortunately I bought this on a whim, never hearing or reading about this product beforehand. I do need two coats, but, omg, what a difference!!!! I am going to stock up before they either change the formula or discontinue. Truly awesome..

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2013 11:22:00 PM More reviews by lizzea

I like this base coat, affordable and does its job. I only wouldn't buy it again because I like trying different products.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/30/2013 10:52:00 AM More reviews by okienat33

Like not love this product. It just feels a little thick & goopy but a good product for the money