Giovanni D:tox System Purifying Facial Scrub with Charcoal & Volcanic Ash

4.6

Not tested on animals

on 1/27/2015 7:07:00 PM

This is a great scrub for my combination/acne prone skin! It doesn't dry out my dry spots, leaves my skin glowing, and best of all- It's natural! No nasty chemicals to irritate my skin :)

on 1/27/2015 6:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the best drugstore scrub I've ever tried! I know it goes for around $9 at Target, but I actually got it on deep clearance at Marshall's, which is primarily what inspired me to try it in the first place. ;) What a great decision!

I know exfoliating scrubs aren't supposed to be the best for your skin, but the particles are so fine and it's very gentle, and the solution they're suspended in is very thick and creamy. Sometimes I even put it on my face at the beginning of my shower and wait until the very end to scrub it off, to make it function a bit like a mask. (Have not tried using it as a mask out of the shower, but I imagine it would be just as effective!) It leaves my skin SO soft and smooth and generally feeling great. A little pea-sized blob seems to be the perfect amount for my (larger than average) face, so even though the package (4oz) isn't as big as other drugstore scrubs, it has lasted me FOREVER. Plus, since the exfoliating granules are made from natural ingredients, they aren't considered pollutants like the round plastic microbeads you find in other scrubs. I hope that when I FINALLY run out of my tube, I'll be able to find another one!

on 12/15/2014 10:43:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was on the hunt for a good scrub with super-fine grit so as to avoid the highly abrasive nature of walnut shell powder, which I've noticed is a main ingredient in a lot of other scrubs on the market. So when I spotted this at TJ Maxx (and a bunch of other places), I figured I'd give it a shot.
And it is amazing! Since I began using this, my acne has cleared up more quickly, my skin is soft, and my complexion looks bright and even.
I paid $5 for this at TJ Maxx, but I think it goes elsewhere for around $9. Still a bargain either way, since you really only need to use a small amount of this (with, as they say on the packaging, plenty of water) to get great results. I imagine this tube will last me for several months.
The packaging is nothing fancy - just a squeeze tube with the cap on the bottom, which I find is handy for not having to engage in an Olympic event trying to get the product up to the cap when it starts to go empty.
I will definitely repurchase this as long as my skin will respond positively to it. Very good facial scrub!

on 6/25/2014 6:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is my go-to since I started using natural products. The exfoliating beads are very small and gentle, but the charcoal cleans deep-- it's a perfect combo. I did have a small breakout the first time I used it, but I also broke out the first time I used a product containing charcoal; I think that's just because it really purges your pores, and I haven't had anything but great results since.

on 4/1/2014 7:42:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I found this scrub to be perfect. My skin is very sensitive and can get dry very easily. This scrub is very gentle, like the reviews before, "like baking soda." I bought this because i have really bad clogged pores around my nose, chin, and in between my eyebrows. I've been using this product for the past week and my clogged pores are no longer existent :) I will definitely continue to buy this scrub.

on 2/23/2014 3:28:00 PM

I love this scrub. I find that most exfoliating products irritate my skin and actually make me break out more. It feels like clay which makes sense given that it has volcanic ash listed as one of its ingredients. Because of its thick consistency, I like to use it as a mask and leave it on my face for 5-10 minutes. It leaves my skin feeling very smooth and completely clean - without stripping away its natural moisture or making my skin oily. This is definitely a steal and the results are better than most of the brand name products I have purchased over the years. If you come across it, I recommend giving it a try.

on 8/30/2013 12:30:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I would classify this as a gentle scrub so those who are looking for an intense exfoliating product will be disappointed in this. It has wonderful ingredients and it doesn't clog my pores or leave my skin red and irritated. It has a thick grey paste-like consistency and as others have noted, it has micro-fine particles to scrub with. It leaves my skin soft and smooth feeling and rinses clean. I can care less for the scent but it doesn't bother my nose. I have other scrubs that I prefer so I am not sure if I would repurchase. However I would recommend it for those who have finicky skin or have oily sensitive skin such as myself.

on 3/13/2013 9:00:00 PM

I was optimistic about trying this product until I actually used it. What a disappointment. The granules were too small to be effective at exfoliating. I scrubbed pretty hard and I was still left with flaky patches. I also broke out afterwards which is atypical for me. The only redeeming qualities about this scrub are that the ingredients are pretty natural and the price was reasonable. Maybe this could be used as a hydrating cleanser but not for exfoliation. Unfortunately my skin is oily/combo so I have no need for a product like that.

on 11/12/2012 10:43:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Reviewing the whole D-tox facial care system: AWESOME! It smells heavenly - just a very light, clean scent. The cleanser makes a creamy lather; the scrub is so fine, like baking soda; the mask is divine - slightly minty/cooling, really creamy but absorbs stuff like crazy; and the moisturizer is very light but hydrating. Each goes for about $9, so pretty cheap. After a complete facial, my face felt SO soft, looked clearer with great tone, not red or irritated, but more even and bright. The moisturizer did not seem to break me out today, which is a plus. it feels really light, not sticky or tacky. Will keep you updated!

**UPDATE** I returned this whole line to the store a week later. This stuff will tear your skin up and cause it to break out more. Holy crap!

on 10/22/2012 11:38:00 PM

Underrated, below-radar gem.

So much better than any other scrub from the drugstore and more effective than most of the high-end brands. Very hearty, dense, non-oily, non-slippy, rinse-clean formula whose abrasiveness can be easily manipulated depending on how much pressure you use (don't be scared off by the large grain size--you can make it very mellow if you prefer that to the enthusiastic scrubbing my skin likes).

After I rub it in I like to keep it on my skin for a good 5 minutes in the shower so the steam can push it in further giving the active charcoal a chance to do its magic.

On my 4th tube. Always stocked in my shower.

Popular Scrubs