April 16, 2014 | 1992 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup (24 hour formula - 2012/2013)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2014 12:05:00 AM More reviews by sana8it

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

GUESS WHAT LADIES!!!! BEST Tip Ever: Maybelline dream mousse liquid foundation's pump fits onto Revlon colorstay!!! You can just keep reusing it... I prefer not to dump Revlon colorstay into an empty bottle, that wastes so much product? I'd rather just find a reusable pump. And this is your answer right here ^^!!! Allow me to summarize the pros and cons from all the reviews and my personal experience... I am in my mid 20s and have combo /oily skin for reference and use the combo/oily colorstay...

Pros:
- almost full coverage
-amazing lasting power (min.6-8+hrs)
-has sunscreen
- minimizes appearance of pores and diminishes redness
- 80-90% will repurchase out of 1500+ ppl
- doesn't really oxidize (massive perk), shake before use!
-no transference, this bad boy hugs ur skin like no tomorrow
- didn't break me out, kept my oiliness at Bay for few hours, looks more matte
-color range is wide, could have more selection for darker skin shades in some stores grr
-widely available

Cons:
- no pump, lots of product gets wasted (solution: listed above^/or use ur own empty bottle and pump)
- work fast, because it can dry fast sometimes if left sitting on top of skin especially... (apply with a warm damp sponge, fingers, or fast buffing techniques) ON HYDRATED SKIN, DRY SKIN =HARDER TO SPREAD... PRETEND UR USING LIQUID CLAY /CEMENT.. You heard me.. That's why it's good for us oilies, u don't want to add oil to your already oil producing skin, you want to HYDRATE your skin, look for water-based lotion/moisturizer before u apply or what the heck dilute it with a tiny dab for convenience in product's spread-ability/emollient properties
-price point, for a drug store brand and a miniscule amount and no pump.. this stuff goes quick and cost alot... Even with a pump it should be cheaper,the price has inflated because of its popularity in past couple of years
- pictures: you can notice a lighter cast or reflection from the sunscreen
-can look cakey, less is more with this!!!
- removal takes a good cleanser/longer to fully remove all layers

Overall: I would repurchase, it stays on, doesn't budge or transfer, it's several customer's Holy grail product... And if used sparingly and quickly it can look as smooth as butter! I'm an NC40 and can use either 320-330 shades, after I apply it I will wait a minute and dab gently with a fine tissue to remove floating sebum (oil) .. This sets the foundation for a longer duration and then follow it with a powder to set it!
**I am a certified Laser Technician /Medical Esthetician /Skin Specialist... Educating clients truly outweighs any sales to me.. Good luck!!

Ps. If you sort- the reviews for this in the softflex version for combo/oily skin.. Where I posted this review as well- by most helpful reviews you will notice some awesome reviewers have listed color match and ingredient lists, application preferences, pump suggestions such as Clinique moisture surge light as well!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/26/2014 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Kica

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hated this. I tried it for a week and although it looked good for a few hours, towards the end of my 8hr day it looked terrible and just icky, while it did stay put, the color looked 'off' at the end of my day. I wouldn't descibe it as oxidized...just off color. In Nearly Naked I wear Cappuccino but in CS I wear Caramel (a shade lighter) and I'm NW45.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/2/2014 12:20:00 PM More reviews by jlushh

After trying a plethora of foundations this is one I keep returning to buy.

I use 110 Ivory and I am a MAC nw15, the colour matches really well.

It lasts pretty much all day when I use it with powder and setting spray. I like full coverage foundation because I have freckles/small moles that I like to cover up and this product does just that. It hasn't caused me to break out and doesn't settle into dry patches.

I hate that it doesnt have a pump though, I feel like a lot of product gets wasted this way. Photoready has a pump, so why not this!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2014 10:08:00 PM More reviews by flowerpan10

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Typical drugstore packaging but it doesn't bother me none. Light enough feel for everyday use, doesn't feel like I have anything on my face. Awesome coverage but green concealer needed for those tricky red blemishes. Combination/Oily Skin formula sticks but doesn't dry out my skin. Finish is so skin like and natural. Best drugstore foundation I've found seeing as it's light enough for everyday use but enough coverage for my acne scarring that I feel comfortable being seen in public. This stuff smells of paint and is so strong that for an hour after you've gotten a good whiff your nose will still burn and you'll have developed an uncomfortable headache, ONLY BIG CON. I spent years not wanting to buy into the hype (literally$) and don't know how I did so. This is a staple in my foundation collection.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2014 12:31:00 AM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

Revlon Colorstay has been a foundation that I've flirted with for about 5 years now. Always loved it when I used it but because I am a makeup addict, I never continually repurchased it. To my knowledge, the foundation was reformulated in 2012 to be the 24hr formulation versus the old 16hr formulation and I would say that there are both positive and negative changes to the formulation.
A few things that have not changed however are the packaging, the staying power and the smell. I'm a bit disappointed the Revlon had the audacity (dramatic, I know), to reformulate this foundation but not include a pump after all of the feedback from loyal customers asking for one! This is a bit of a slap in the face in my opinion but since their sales are virtually unaffected regardless of the pump, I'm sure they didn't see it as a necessary feature to include. The foundation still lasts a full day and then some on my skin without both primer and powder- I'm not sure about the 24hr claim because I have not yet and cannot currently foresee a situation that would require me to wear makeup for a full 24 hours. And as for the smell- it still smells like paint! The shade selection is also the same as far as I know.
The positive changes in my opinion are the thickness of the foundation and the finish. When I bought Revlon Colorstay a few years ago for the first time I remember being slightly turned off by the thickness of the product and it did feel a bit uncomfortable on my skin, a factor which I overlooked due to all of the other positive offerings. The new foundation is quite thin and breathable which is such an upgrade in my opinion, especially if you have any acne which needs breathability in order to heal and clear. The finish of this foundation used to be very matte in both the Normal/Dry and Oily/Combo formulation which I didn't really enjoy. The foundation now has more of a skin-like satiny finish but still controls oil fabulously.
Now for the negative change(s).....I would say the people who have Normal/Dry skin got cheated the most with this formulation change. Since I have oily skin that has dehydrated patches, I used to be able to use either formulation but now I would never even consider buying the Normal/ Dry skin formula and that comes down to coverage. The oily/ combo formula seems to have slightly less coverage, (now medium coverage, used to be full coverage) but the Normal/ Dry formulation went from being full coverage to being tinted moisturizer sheer. When I picked up the new formula for the first time, I got the Normal/ Dry skin formula and when I went to apply it with my beauty blender, there was literally zero coverage. A little sheen of what looked like foundation but all of my redness and acne was just as visible so I took it back right away and exchanged it for the Oily/Combo formula.
In my opinion, the reformulation perfected the Oily/Combo skin foundation and literally destroyed the Normal/ Dry skin foundation by taking away all of its coverage. If you wore the Normal/ Dry skin foundation previously and can take back used cosmetics to your local drugstore, I would strongly encourage you to try the Oily/Combo foundation instead because I think you'll be a lot more satisfied. I would recommend purchasing the Oily/Combo foundation if the most perfect and versatile foundation in the whole wide world if what you're looking for and would pass on Normal/ Dry. Hopefully Revlon gets it together soon and adds a pump to this product....

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2014 8:16:00 AM More reviews by Reservechic

I use this in the color Medium Beige. I can say that it gives me medium-to full coverage. It does last a long time without powder. But, with a setting powder over it it will stay looking absolutely flawless until you remove it at night. I have never worn it for 24 hours, and neither do I recommend anyone keep any foundation on their face for that long either.

I really like it better than all the previous liquid versions of colorstay that Revlon has ever come out with. So, I do hope that Revlon doesn't happen to end up changing the formulation again, and simply choose to stick with this one.

I don't wear foundation everyday, only for special occasions. And, when I do, this is one that I definitely prefer wearing the most.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2014 7:07:00 PM More reviews by Bailey4213

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this because of all the hype around it, and don't get me wrong i love it .... at first. It makes me look flawless, like i have no pores and it matches my skin tone perfectly, which is hard to find because things tend to look very orange on me because I am so pale. This is also light enough that it doesn't cover up my freckles but heavy enough to give me the medium/full coverage I like. HOWEVER, the staying power is s***. I use this with Kat Von D's tattoo concealer under my eyes, which lasts AGES. By mid day this foundation has worn off but my concealer remains, giving me an almost dead look. It's just bad, really bad. I go to school so I need something that will last much longer. Also what is up with this packaging? This foundation is pretty decently runny and you don't need a lot of it to cover your whole face, but with this packaging it's almost impossible to get the right amount, I always get wayyyyy too much. And I feel like it just wastes so much product. Next product to try is the whipped version of this which I've heard is so much better. Fingers crossed because I can't bare to pay the high-end price.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/27/2014 5:17:00 PM More reviews by lollycat99

One thing I don't like is it doesn't come with a pump. It has good coverage and lasts very well throughout the day but I just can't come to love it. I will be doing an update to tell ya guys if my opinion changes. But so far i've been using it for a while and still it doens't do what I want it to do. I got the one for dry skin but I feel like it dries to quickly and I am not a fan of the finish which looks quite drying on me. I tried it with a primer underneath and it looked better but still not that much of a difference. It's definitely one of those foundations you have to work with to make it look nice. It's not something that you could slap on your face and head out the door. But neither is any foundation I just think this is not really working out for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2014 11:31:00 PM More reviews by kchoww

I rarely give reviews but i'll make an exception. After using 3 full revlon colorstays I must say, the formula has definitely changed (I think it go better). I might be an exception but I disliked the older formula because it was quite runny. The formula now is actually easier to work with. It is definitely a thicker consistency and may be closer to a creamy texture. As for the colors I don't know if mine has oxidized slightly, but the color has now become much closer to my actual skin color. It lasts me through a full 9hr day of school with my rimmel stay matte powder.
Overall since i've bought this 4 times I really like this foundation and will continue to use because it is longlasting and provides the best coverage for my taste.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2014 12:43:00 AM More reviews by hharmonie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have the new 24 hour Revlon Colorstay for Combo/Oily Skin in Sand Beige. (I am a NC20 in MAC.)

The original 16hr Combo/Oily Revlon Colorstay was my holy grail foundation. I used that foundation throughout high school and never used a primer, powder or concealer with the foundation at all- partly because I was not very makeup-savvy- but also because I never felt the need to use those extra products due to the amazing coverage and staying power of the Colorstay. Somehow, I had strayed from my beloved Colorstay this last year and decided to go back to it, since no other foundation I had tried up until this point has been able to compete.

The devastation when I tried the new formula!! I literally said out loud, "well this is different".

Consistency: The formula is now very thick, and it's consistency prevents the product from pouring out of the bottle. Because of this, you are forced to shake the bottle up and down to get out product, or to scoop it out with a cotton swab. Although they had the time to change the formula to a thicker consistency, they did not take into consideration the addition of a pump? C'mon Revlon!

Coverage: This was probably the most depressing part. The original Revlon Colorstay had AMAZING coverage. The new formula's coverage is medium at best. Because of the thick formula it is difficult to layer without it getting cakey. While this used to cover my blemishes flawlessly, it now just leaves a thin layer of coverage that it just like any other drugstore foundation.

Finish: I feel that the foundation has a much more matte finish now. It looks very powdery and, it looks less natural than the original Colorstay, which had a demi-matte finish.

Application: I tried to apply this foundation with my Sigma F80 and Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, however the foundation was too thick and seemed to gunk up on the bristles of my brushes. I then switched over to using my Beauty Blender and this seems to work the best, although it still does seem to gunk up on the Beauty Blender as well. Overtime, I can see this being a problem.

Wear: Here's one thing that is positive about the new formula- it feels very lightweight. The old formula used to feel incredibly heavy and I would run to the sink immediately after school to wash the makeup off my face. The new formula does not give this heavy feeling.

Oil Control: As far as oil control, the new Revlon Colorstay certainly does have a very long wear time, and does not let my oil seep through as quickly as other foundations. In comparison with the old formula, I would say the old formula has a longer lasting power by about 1-2 hours. But really Revlon... who needs makeup to stay for 24 hours!? The wear time of the old formula was amazing and did not need to be reformulated at all.

Transfer: The old formula did not transfer at all for me. The new formula transfers A LOT. On my clothing, hands, tissues, anything that my face touches.

I feel that Revlon has pretty much downgraded the Colorstay from the most amazing foundation ever, to a very mediocre version. Would I repurchase? Well, despite the negatives of the new formula, it still seems to be the best drugstore option for my skin. I have tried Maybelline Superstay and Covergirl 3 in 1 and I would still say that the Revlon is better than both those foundations. However, I am still on the hunt for a new foundation that will give me the results of the original Colorstay.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No