Revlon ColorStay Makeup (24 hour formula)

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Tribehenin, Phenyl Trimethicone, Nylon-12, Cymbidium Grandiflorum (Orchid) Flower Extract, Lactobacillus/Eriodictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Lilium Candidum Bulb Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Bisabolol, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Alcohol Denat., Alumina, Dimethicone/PEG-10/15 Crosspolymer, Methicone, Laureth-7, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Ethylene Brassylate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Dimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, PEG-12 Glyceryl Dimyristate, Salicylic Acid, Silk Powder, Sodium Citrate, Dipropylene Glycol, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Serica (Silk), Tetrasodium EDTA, Hexylene Glycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben. May Contain: Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides.

on 10/6/2015 5:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Other, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

The packaging is a low blow for me. It is a small bottle, with a cap. Simple looking but it makes it difficult for me to pour out the product because the formula is a thick liquid. I wish there was a pump or it comes with a complimentary spatula. This is great for those who are looking for a medium to full coverage. The smell is not an obvious or overwhelming fragrant. I had to be a little quick when applying and blending because it becomes resistant as it dries. When I used this, I felt I had no need for concealer. Over time, the product doesn't have an oxidizing effect, it has a pretty good staying power for a drug store brand. It was no trouble for my skin other than the lightest color they have, is too dark for me. I had to mix pure white, with this to match me. Running low of this foundation is tough, because it is near impossible to get it out of the bottle. I would buy this again of they offered a wider range of colors.

on 10/6/2015 4:23:00 PM

I have combination skin and this is not the first time I bought this. I have tried many foundations high end and drugstores and this is what I always come back to. The color 310 warm golden matches my skin perfectly. I am about nc30-35. I love the glass bottle but I wish it came with a pump. It's sold everywhere and fairly cheap. It's my holy grail foundation. Stay on forever and doesn't break me out. I love it !

on 10/5/2015 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Returning this foundation right away - tried it a couple times with varying applications and it's so horrible! I have the kind for normal/dry skin in the shade "Buff".

I have dry skin, and this foundation is not nearly moisturizing enough to claim it's for dry skin types. This stuff sucks all the moisture out of your skin, making the finish look dry and cakey. This settled into fine lines and did not blend with concealer nicely. Also, there's so much glitter in this foundation! So that's definitely not good for sensitive & dry skin types.

This foundation dried my skin out and created red patches. However, it did stay on all day long (although it settled into lines over time). This foundation also provides decent medium coverage.

Skip this foundation if you have dry skin or want a natural, real skin looking foundation. There are much better foundations out there for 20 dollars!

- does not slide off & long lasting
- medium coverage

- cakey
- sparkly (bad for dry/sensitive skin)
- very drying
- does not blend out nicely/look nice with concealer over it
- pricey for it's quality

on 9/27/2015 10:52:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Nope, sorry, not a fan. I've purchased this multiple times and returned it multiple times (but to be fair, twice it was because I chose the wrong shade). In any case, I just don't like it. The first few times I used it, I felt so fake. It looked so cakey (both with a brush and a beauty sponge). The reason I purchased it is because I have a lot of hyperpigmentation and scarring to cover up. Unfortunately, this foundation made me realize that I'm just not a full-coverage foundation kind of person. I used the color 150 Buff (which seems to be fairly popular because of its yellowish tone), and I swear ever time I applied it, I would look at my face at the end of the night and not believe how ghastly I was looking - so cakey and patchy and grey. Just awful. Not to mention, I started breaking out really bad. I swear, one day I came home, took off my makeup and had 4 new pimples. Developed more the following days. Stopped using it and a week or two later my skin was back to normal. I guess if you're into the full-coverage look this will be great for you, but if you'd rather a foundation actually melt into your skin or just plain look like skin, skip this.

on 9/21/2015 1:41:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is a review (and oily versus dry formulas comparisons) for the 24hrs formula which appeared in late 2012 (I mention this because I had in the past some bottles labelled 24hrs that actually had the Softflex formula), the real 24hrs formula ingredient list begins with Cyclopentasiloxane and also contains PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone as the sixth ingredient. I own the pump bottle.

Container --------> still the old school bottle, which makes the product difficult to pour out of the bottle as the consistency is thick but, fortunately, the pump-bottle is popping up in some European countries (it has been available in Australia and Asia for 2 years)... so 3 stars for the current bottle and 5 stars for the one with pump that is to come.

Consistency --------> thick in the bottle but it seems to soften as you blend (the pump bottle seems to soften it too as it is not that thick anymore once I have pumped it on the back of my hand). Glides very easily on the skin, way more easily than the previous formula. The dry skin formula seems a bit more runny than the oily skin formula. This new formula is more stabilized than the previous Softflex one, it does not separate in the bottle anymore (surely this sixth ingredient I mentioned at the beginning of my review, which is an emulsifier, all the foundations I have that contain this ingredient never separate in the bottle).

Finish --------> here is the main bad point, it can look overly cakey (the oily skin one) or overly streaky (the dry skin one) depending on how you apply this foundation. Also, the dry skin one has very tiny shimmers (I mean tiny, not the kind of overwhelming glitters you can get from the Photoready Airbrush Finish makeup) which are invisible at first but become slightly visible when you buff your powder on top to set the foundation. The oily skin one has a matte look without shimmers and just a hint of satin. The oily skin one has some kind of tackiness that never dissipate until you set it with a powder, while the dry skin one contains a micro-sponge ingredient that (I suspect) neutralizes this tackiness and produce a silkier finish that looks more powdery/blurring. Honestly, calling one for oily skin and the other one for dry skin is a nonsense as the latter is not moisturizing in the least, in my opinion these are just twice the same product with only a few tweaks in the formulas to produce slighty different finishes, but both are especially designed for normal-to-oily skin types (as mine).

Application method --------> I tried first with my usual brushes (flat top), buffing the foundation into the skin (very easily I admit), but the finish was thick/cakey (oily skin one) or uneven/streaky (dry skin one)... since I began using a Beauty-Blender-type damp sponge, I re-discovered both formulas with pleasure as the finish is way more beautiful and no longer caked on. Be careful with these foundations as they are very water sensitive (they remove easily with plain water) until they are completely set... after they set, they have some good waterproof resistance. One comment : both formulas are very soluble in plain ethanol which make them Beauty-Blender friendly (I cleanse my sponge after each use with plain ethanol and these are the sole foundations that remove completely after the cleansing process, with no stains left behind, my sponge is as clean as a new one).

Coverage --------> with one layer I get medium-to-full with the oily skin one, and light-to-medium with the dry skin one.

Color --------> as usual, Buff is my shade, a very pale beige with a hint of yellow undertones. There are some slight differences between both formulas : the oily skin one tends to be more yellow and a tiny bit lighter than the dry skin one which is more brownish and slightly darker (1/4 level I would say). I can wear both with pleasure, the oily skin one in winter and the dry skin one in summer.

Oxidation --------> this does oxidize slightly as it dries but after half an hour the color stays unchanged for all day long (so do not trust the shade when freshly applied).

Setting --------> be careful with the oily skin one, powders tend to cling a lot on it because of its tackiness. To avoid creasing and settling into fine lines with both formulas (especially around the eyes), I dab one last time with my finger to smooth it and immediately set with powder (currently the latest pressed ELF HD Finishing Powder which is absolutely amazing), once set it does not move anymore.

Lasting power --------> once fully set, both formulas last a very long time, and seems to be waterproof. You will need a cleansing oil to remove them as a regular water-soluble cleanser will be ineffective. I said that I stuck on one single layer with both formulas because they tend to crease and collect into fine lines/pores if the layer is too thick. That happened when I applied them with a brush but I have now more control over the creasing when applying the foundation with a damp sponge (which sheers out a bit the thickness of the layer) : I loose a bit of coverage but the finish look skin-like. I do not know about the 24hrs supposed lasting power as I do not wear makeup for that long, but after 24hrs all that will be left is only traces and blotchiness.

Shine control --------> do not expect a lot of shine control with either formulas, this is not the Colorstay Whipped Creme (nor the previous Colorstay Softflex for oily skin, which was especially absorbent)... the counterpart is that your skin looks more alive rather than dull and flat.

Sun protection --------> there is no sun protection written on the bottles, but actually both offer some sun protection (as written on the bottles from Australia, Asia and Europe). The oily skin one has an SPF 15 and the dry skin one has an SPF 20.

Price : a bit on the expensive side for a drugstore foundation, but the quality is au rendez-vous.

My go-to foundation <3

on 8/25/2015 10:01:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Needs a pump or squeeze tube but besides that I love this foundation. I've gone through about 5 or 6 bottles. It doesn't last 24 hours or look perfect at the end of the day, but it's the closest it's going to get. I've tried high end and drugstore and everything in between. For oily skin that needs decent coverage I LOVE this foundation.

on 8/18/2015 5:57:00 PM

This foundation is really good , I bought the oily combination skin one in buff. The price is good for the product especially as it compares to mac that's more expensive. I use to have break outs and problem skin this product helped alot!! Its thick and full coverage and does have a good finish on skin looking smooth and flawless. Its similar to the mac foundation. It has lasted me along time given I would not normally pay as much for foundation as I did , downsides are it can be a lil cakey and it doesn't last 24 hours however quite a long time. Must buy for those with trouble skin:)

on 8/10/2015 5:17:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

This used to be my holy grail product a few months ago before I started having skin issues. I've been acne free for a few years but around exam time this year, I started breaking out. Before that, I could put anything on my skin without an issue. Now, I'm struggling to find a foundation which keeps my oil under control and doesn't break me out ... and I have yet to succeed.

Anyhow, this stuff has great coverage but it does look a bit cakey. I would use a primer, foundation and then setting spray/translucent powder. This stuff would literally stick to my face like cement. It would not come off nor would my skin get oily. When I originally started using it, I broke out a bit. I think this just may have been my sensitive skin getting used to such a heavy product and I was also on my period at the time. Once my skin cleared up, I thought this stuff was great. I could wear it from 7 in the morning to 7 at night without a touchup. This issue was washing this stuff off...

When I say this stuff is like cement, I am not exaggerating. I literally had to scrape it off my face. No makeup wipe or makeup remover could wash it off. Overtime my sink actually clogged! That was when I stopped using it. My skin started to get awful and washing this foundation off every night made my skin red and irritated.

Also, the packaging is just ridiculous. It needs a pump!

If you have sensitive/acne prone/ oily skin, avoid this stuff.

on 8/8/2015 3:21:00 PM

It has been awhile since I've used this product, maybe six months, so this review is long overdue. So this is supposed to be the very best of full coverage drug store foundation. I feel like this is one of those products other people push really hard like it's so great and everyone is supposed to love it and it ends up being the most overrated was so terrible, this product is what pushed me over the edge to start buying higher qualitiy expensive foundations. I don't know If the bottle I bought was expired or dried up, but it was extremely hard to blend. When I turned it upside down to try and get some to come out of the bottle it would barely come out at all it was so thick and hardly liquid. Sometimes I would try to shake the bottle upside down and it was still hard to get it to come out! I could not get it to blend in my face, either, due to how thick it was. And after several hours, my face just looked greasy. I can't justify spending that much money on a defective product. I would rather pay an extra $15 for something I Love that actually looks good.
Side note: last week I ran out of my clinique foundation, my holy grail of foundations, and I was at wal mart and figured I'd save a couple bucks and give Revlon another shot (they're supposed to be the best drug store brand as I understand). I tried the airbrush photo ready foundation. Huge mistake. Another terrible Revlon product (just read the reviews on here). Done with Revlon: I will NEVER buy Revlon again. But i am glad this terrible product pushed me to start using better, higher quality products on my skin.

on 8/8/2015 9:45:00 AM

+ Medium to high coverage
+ Long-lasting ( I tested it in summer and It does stay for 24h )
+ Does not cause breakouts

+ Worst packaging ever ( does not have a pump )
+ A little bit cakey