August 28, 2014 | 1844 users online

Liquid - Revlon - ColorStay Makeup (24 hour formula - 2012/2013)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2014 2:31:00 PM More reviews by Mutethecity

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this makeup when I traveled out of town and forgot my makeup bag at home. I needed makeup for the wedding, but didn't want to spend much money on more when I already have a lot at home. I figured I would just pop into Walmart and buy some inexpensive products. Many Youtube beauty gurus list this as a really popular, quality, inexpensive drugstore brand. So it wasn't very hard of a decision to choose this.

The color options of this product are okay. There are 20 or so shades, though the Walmart I was at only carried around 10 of those (all seemed to have a neutral undertone). There aren't many options for those with complexions deeper than a medium brown (mahogany-ish). For me, it wasn't a problem, but it may be for others. The shade I have is Cappuccino, which isn't a very deep complexion, but is the third to darkest shade.The foundation comes in two formulas: one for normal/dry skin and the other for combo/oily skin. I chose the combo/oily formula.

I'm not too keen on the texture and finish of the product. It is a little greasy feeling and very dewy in finish. No matter how much blending can be done it will transfer and rub off onto whatever touches it. It also pools into pores and enhaces the look of them. Luckily I always have my mini-sized Benefit Porefessional primer in my purse, which helped combat pore settling, aided in shine and oil reduction and easier application. Nothing could help the greasy feeling, though. The foundation is too dewy and it feels like its melting off of my skin on warmer days. A setting powder aids in reducing the dewi-ness, as my skin is naturally shiny from oil, making me prefer a matte finish. I hate the bottle. Since there is no pump, the only option of getting any product out is pouring it out through the wide opening. Doing this usually causes me to pour more than necessary, and waste a lot of unused product.

It has good coverage. I have uneven skin tone from being in the sun a lot, in addition to dark spots from acne scarring, and it covers those and the beauty mark above my lip really well with no concealer. It blends nicely as well with no streaking whether a brush, beauty blender, or fingers are used. Unlike a lot of dewy foundations I've used in the past, this didn't break me out. My skin remained its usual somewhat clear state. I appreciate that it doesn't oxidate, and the color purchased is the color it stays. Again, the undertone is neutral while mine is warm, but it didn't look unnatural on me.

This product is okay. $10 for an ounce is a pretty good deal, considering I usually pay $42 for an ounce of my favorite Smashbox or $32 for Mac Pro Longwear foundations. The quality is decent and good enough for being an inexpensive, drugstore brand, so of course amazing results won't be expected. It's alright for $10, and in a pinch, I may consider repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2014 8:26:00 AM More reviews by rhin27

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This foundation has medium to high coverage but it is very buildable, you can put this on without it looking too cakey. It lasts for a very long time like the packaging says and it doens't go orange over time on your face. It photographs quite well and I love wearing this on days when I want more coverage and it doesn't feel heavy at all :) Great product, and I love that it comes with a pump - makes life so much easier!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2014 1:13:00 PM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a great fan of the original Colorstay for oily/combination skin and I also like the newer version. I really like it. I don't love it, as I think the consistency and finish of the original has the edge over the new 24 hour version, but it's still a very good foundation and it has a much higher SPF than the original - 15 compared to a measly 6! Lasting power is good (I got ten hours out of mine before it started to fade). The finish isn't too different from the original - slightly less matte and more satin to me. It doesn't transfer much off my face - I wore it on one of the most humid days of the year, had to cope with sweat running down my face, blotted several times throughout the day with a tissue to see hardly any transfer plus it still looked good. Like the original, it gives a natural yet polished finish, medium to full coverage. And to those who are bothered by such things, this one doesn't smell as strong as the original and it doesn't set as quickly so you can take your time blending it in. I got it in Warm Golden which isn't that different from Golden Beige and very similar indeed once blended in, although they look quite different in the bottle. (Note that the colour of Warm Golden in the liquid is different to the Whipped version, which is very neutral.) I'm normally NC25-30 but like the original the colour seems quite adaptable and suits my now slightly tanned skin as well. Like a lot of other fans of the original, I have rosacea but I find that because it's buildable it provides good coverage, but then I've always patted on a little Fit Me concealer (in 20) over my foundation on my worst affected areas to get perfect rosacea coverage. For reference, I have combination skin that is oily yet dry in places and a tendency to be sensitive. I hope this review helps others decide whether to try the new version.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/3/2014 2:28:00 AM More reviews by babylipss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Revlon, what the $&¢!?¡ the original formula for oilycombo skin was a god sent! It had terrific coverage, natural look, not too thick, wore amazingly, never came off until I used makeup remover and never ever ever broke me up. It was definitely my hg. Now I prowl my local big lots waiting, hoping the it will show up there and only find Revlon's nearly naked which looks so watery. Anyway, I did notice when I went to repurchase (in a different color because I am muuuch darker and tan) that the letters were white and the cap had a 24 hour sticker. I thought, Huh they made the packaging different nbd.
I'm Nc35-40 most of the year and wear 330 Natural Tan which is a bit neutral on my golden undertones but it works. Now I'm Nc44-45 and did my research and bought Toast. Well. Let me first say this makes me break out like nobody's business! When I poured it out discovered it was much thicker, so less is definitely more. Usually I would use two shakes of the foundation to get a great coverage and it was runnier then the new formula. With the new formula one shake was almost too much foundation. Yet, this did not give me great coverage even with the amount I applied! I have a bunch of redness and scars from acne on my cheeks and even with the thickness of this, you could still see the redness!! What the hell Revlon! With the old formula it was not so. My scars were covered flawlessly! I never experienced this drying fast with the old or new formulation and it set to a matte finish, much more matte then the old one but I thought that was OK, I have extremely oily skin anyway. I went shopping with my home girls and hugged one of them and saw some foundation transfer on her shirt. OK, what?! I never ever had problems with transfer except with loreal true match. *sigh* the foundation felt heavier and heavier by the hour and after a lot of shopping and being about my foundation looked fine.

Woah! Before I forget, my body is nc44-45 but my face is nc30 light 😔. Because my face does NOT TAN for some crazy annoying reason. It looks odd without makeup on and people think I fake tan which is extremely annoying. The color toast was not the perfect match. It was slightly orange... My skin is much more yellow golden BROWN when I'm dark, why does Revlon think when you tan you are orange??! Not all of us fake bake you know! I considered maybe the color would match better if my face was maybe Nc42-45 but then realized no matter what color your face is the foundation undertone should not be orange. In photos it was obvious I had a wrong color foundation. Whatever, all this aside, this was horrendous to come off. A pain in the @$$ if you asked me. I used two makeup wipes, cold cream and my cleanser and toner and I still had some on! Ok 24 hours I get it but it was ridiculous. My skin was not affected that night but when I woke up the next morning, I woke up to the ugliest face ever. Breakouts on my lips (I do put foundation there to prime for lipstick) pimples all over my chin the very red painful ones, pimples on my nose which I never ever get! Pimples all over my hairline and forehead and strange skincolored bumps on the bridge of my nose getting close to my right eye. I automatically knew it had to be this foundation. I looked on mua to see if anyone had similar reactions, and people have, the orange tone and the breakouts. My skin hardly breakouts anymore so this was honestly a nightmare. I know some of you will think bah she didn't remove it properly. But I really really toned my face until all product was off. Even on my hairline. I used my Queen Helene Mint julep mask (which is great) so my skin can purge and all the effect from the foundation can come out and way more pimples on my chin and forehead appeared. I'm currently treating them and going bared faced after bc of this breakout disaster. Only. After. One. Use.

I love cover girls 3 in 1 foundation, but the colors aren't so amazing. The golden tan for when I'm nc42 is too light, I swatches soft honey to replace my revlon 330 and it looks too light. I don't know what to do, my beloved revlon color stay has been reformulated for the absolute worst. Also I never cared if this had a pump or not but the new cap is more plastic-y and easier to drop and harder to screw back on. Its a shame revlon did this to my favorite foundation. 100% disappointed in you revlon, I'll be spending my money someplace else.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2014 11:28:00 PM More reviews by MizzahPanda

This foundation is good for my skin. I used the this foundation for about a week and I really loved it because it does last a long time, it doesn't patch up, and it had medium-full coverage. But I've been more focused on clearing my skin rather than just covering it. I've reads lots of review about this products and they says it's very clogging to the pores, oily, and just not good for acne-prone skin. and guess what, it's true.. my sister had problem skin and she have already try this products.. it's doesn't give a good texture for sensitive skin.. But for me, it's just fine.. for my skin it's just great! it's just one of the great foundation i've ever used♥

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2014 3:38:00 AM More reviews by aperilpar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is probably the one foundation I will use for the rest of my life! I have extremely oily skin and i've tried almost every foundation there is, from drugstore to high end, but this foundation is the one I always come back to. I use the one for combination/oily skin. I don't stay matte all day long, but I don't end up as oily as I would with any other foundation. It stays put during long days of work and long nights out. While they do have a large color selection, I feel as though they're only made for women who have pink undertones. I wish they would come out with more "yellow" colors... I still haven't found my perfect shade yet =/ Also, the bottle sucks.. it definitely needs a pump. But other than that, I recommend this foundation for oily skinned ladies.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/26/2014 11:17:00 PM More reviews by spirovelvet

I have a love/hate relationship with this foundation. First of all, the packaging it's so bad because you have no control because it doesn't have a pump and how it is a very liquidy foundation it can be a mess if you are not careful. I got like two shades lighter than my skintone but it oxidized on me and it turned like my skintone like an hour later I applied it. It has a good coverage but it's so heavy and it looks cakey after a while. One day I wear it for 24 hours straight and it lasts very well. I have acne prone skin and accentuates my zits, and it has like a powder finish which i don't like because I don't use powder.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/22/2014 2:17:00 PM More reviews by PrettyBrownEyes2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried to like this foundation. The color is like an identical replica of my skin color (Cappucino). Unfortunately, this foundation looks blotchy after application and I have not experienced this with my beloved MAC. I was hoping to like this for the price however, its not working out.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/19/2014 8:40:00 AM More reviews by sindoodoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This foundation has the honor of being one of the few makeup items I've actually returned to the store--I hated it that much. I wanted to like it because of all the raves by beauty blogs, so when a BOG1O deal presented itself, I bought both Caramel and Toast for combination/oily skin (I'm somewhere between NC42-44). The Caramel was too dark/cool-toned, and while Toast was a perfect match, this product WRECKED my skin. It didn't break me out, but it dried my skin out, making me look like an old woman who had tanned too much in her life. The oily parts of my skin (my cheeks) looked great and glowing, but everywhere else felt dry and 'tight,' and I had fine lines and flaky skin appearing around my nose (an area where my skin tends to be on the dry side), where they weren't before. The tightness and the fine lines persisted even after I stopped using the makeup, so I stopped wearing makeup for about a week and instead carried around moisturizer to hydrate my skin whenever it started feeling tight, which was often throughout the day.

I tried applying this with a foundation sponge as well as with a brush (and smoothing out with my fingers). I believe I also used a primer one of the days I tried this out, and it had the same drying effect. I don't want to have to buy two different formulas of foundation for the oily parts of my face and the dry parts of my face. Maybe I was doing something wrong in terms of application or type of primer, but I don't want to use a foundation where I NEED primer to stop the foundation from ruining my skin.

The packaging is also annoying -- it's a thick and sticky formula, but it's just sitting in the bottle so it's hard to get out of the bottle. You'll need a stick of some sort to get it out because tapping the bottle onto your skin won't work.

Maybe my mistake is buying the 24-hr formula, but it looks like the earlier formulas that everyone raved about are no longer available.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/17/2014 9:43:00 PM More reviews by cozworth

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I loved this foundation and used it faithfully for 10 years. Then they changed the formula.

Now it turns a slightly orange color when I wear it. It has a gooey, unpleasant texture no matter how I apply it or what I use to set it.

In addition it causes me to break out - which the old formula never did.

It used to be a superior product. Now it is no better than any other drugstore foundation.

HEY REVLON! WHAT WERE YOU THINKING? YOU TOOK SOMETHING AWESOME AND MADE IT LOUSY!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No