October 24, 2014 | 1917 users online

Styling Products - Dove - Strength & Shine Flexible Hold Hairspray

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/29/2014 2:11:00 AM More reviews by lushlife505

I absolutely love the scent of Dove hairsprays. It is so weird lol.
I prefer this scent to all others I have tried. I wish their shampoos smelled like this.
It is is so fresh and clean smelling I really like it.
I also like the way it looks in my hair as well. The downfall is that it does not last long throughout the day.
It loses hold very quickly no matter what hold I buy it in and then I am left with limp, out of place hair :(
It does hold down my fly aways well though.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2014 6:43:00 PM More reviews by labu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I previously used the Dove hairspray in the blue can, then the blue plastic spray bottle, and both were great as far as hold and scent. When I ran out a while back, I went to repurchase, but all that was at the drug store was this version in the pink can. I figured it must be the same great hairspray, just in updated packaging. Boy, was I wrong. This hairspray has the strongest, most repulsive scent, almost reminiscent of sunscreen. I'm almost embarrassed to wear it out with its pungent odor that does not wear off for hours and does not smell pleasant. The hold is also inferior, especially for my thin strands of frizzy/curly hair. Within minutes, my fly-aways are already going crazy, especially in humidity (so if you live somewhere humid, this won't do the job for you). THE WORST PART about this hairspray, however, is the white film it leaves after drying. If you even touch or run a finger along sprayed hair, white powdery particles that resemble dandruff come up, and as you try to brush that away, you only end up kicking up more white stuff until that entire section of hair looks powdery white and gross. I have used this product on wet, dry, curly, and straightened hair, inside dry, air-conditioned environments and outdoors in the humidity numerous times (at least 30) with consistently poor results. I cannot stand this hairspray and will not repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2014 10:41:00 PM More reviews by HeartofanElephant

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Despite all of the negative comments, I really like this hairspray. Granted, it's not the best, but it's also not as bad as its made to seem. I agree when others say that this hairspray does have a strong scent. When I'm spraying it on, the scent can get a bit overwhelming but after that I didn't really notice it. It gave a good hold for a flexible hold hairspray. I would consider buying this again but its maybe not my first choice of hairspray. A big plus is the packaging. I really like the white bottle with the pink writing, however, this isn't a big reason to purchase it.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/5/2013 8:07:00 AM More reviews by anneok

Inexpensive, but that's all it's got going for it. The hold is minimal, which is fine - I don't need a lot of hold. I just CAN'T get past the horrible, horrible smell. Awful. It's powdery and harsh and... I just can't describe it. I would buy this again if it were unscented.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 1:23:00 PM More reviews by polishnut

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Dove Strength & Shine Flexible Hold Hairspray comes in a 7-ounce canister for about $3-$4 at any drug store. The strength indicator on the can lists it as 4 out of 5 bars and indicates a "strong" flexible hold. This is not the case. If you're needing something to keep anything in place, this is not the product to do it. It gives an extremely, extremely light hold but that's about it. On the upside, it's not sticky in any way, you can run your fingers through your hair after you use it, and it doesn't feel like a helmet. The smell on this hairspray, IMO, is very harsh. Right out of the can it has a sort of fruity smell mixed in with the traditional old-fashioned hairspray scent. However, once you spray it on, there is no light fruity smell, just a heavy, somewhat musky, very unpleasant hairspray smell which lasts all day and is quite over-powering. I'm on the fence as to whether I would buy this again. It DOES give a light touchable hold but I was expecting it to be a little stronger. After a week of using it, I've gotten used to the smell, but, again IMO, you shouldn't have to "get used" to the smell of something. So, at the moment, the smell is the only thing that I'm really not liking about this.

EDIT: After using this product for a month or so, I did, in fact, buy another can because at that point I had decided that it was working for me and the smell wasn't that bad. Well, lo and behold, and to my dismay, the company has changed the formula or SOMETHING and the new can I bought smells EXACTLY like men's aftershave (the one with the ship on the bottle!). THIS, is a deal breaker for me and I will not be buying this again.