December 22, 2014 | 917 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - Sheer Creme Eye Colour

rated 3.0(1 review)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 12:11:00 PM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was thrilled to stumble upon these while browsing online. I love long-lasting cream eyeshadows, but I want them to be matte and in tube packaging (rather than in a jar where they can dry out too easily), and such a product is hard to find these days, especially since Laura Mercier discontinued the Satinee Creme Eye Colours (why???). This product is a limited edition, part of the Belle Nouveau collection.

The product itself is quite pigmented (I wouldn't have called it sheer), but it blends easily so that I can apply it sheerly if I'm careful to use the tiniest dot. I have to work quickly, though, because it dries quickly, feeling almost powdery. It lasts all day (as effectively as any eyeshadow primer I've used) without creasing on my oily lids. I love its staying power! It's matte compared to the Metallic Creme Eye Colours, though if you look closely in sunlight, you'll see a bit of shimmer. I do love that the color is derived from minerals rather than synthetic dyes.

I prefer subtle shadows on my pale cool-toned skin, leaning towards grays and taupes mostly, so I ordered the Grey Pastel shade. Alas, in person it pulls very blue, and I'm not a fan of the blue eyeshadow look, especially since blue shadows make my blue/gray/green eyes look less blue and kind of muddy. I guess I should have known, since the Laura Mercier web site describes the color as "cool light grey," but the swatches I saw online looked warmer, though I realize now that they likely looked less blue because they were swatched next to the aqua and lavender shades.

I was planning to use the Grey Pastel as a swipe-and-go shadow that would simplify my morning routine, but I find that I really need to layer powder shadows (creams, grays, and taupes) on top to minimize the bluish tint. So I won't be stocking up on this limited edition product, but I do love the formula, so I'll keep my eye out for a matte cool taupe or warm gray version from Laura Mercier, hopefully soon!

Ingredients: isodecane, mica, isodecyl neopentanoate, pentaerythrityl tetraisostearate, microcrystalline cellulose, ethylene/propylene copolymer, caprylic/capric triglyceride, hydroxystearic/linolenic/oleic polyglycerides, disteardimonium hectorite, lauroyl lysine, glyceryl caprylate, propylene carbonate, tocopheryl acetate. May contain: titanium dioxide, iron oxides. continued >>