Rimmel Clean Finish Matte Foundation

3.2

on 3/13/2015 1:07:00 PM

I've used this foundation for about a year, but I've never been happy with it. As a teenager, I struggled with acne and an empty wallet, and I kept buying this foundation because it was cheap and nonetheless looked better than uncovered break-outs. (Mind you, I was relatively naïve to the world of other foundations, and thought my issues with this foundation were just annoyances I had to put up with using any foundation)

(FYI: I start with Equate's All-Day Moisturizer, then ELF's Corrective Yellow Concealer over blemishes and under eye circles, apply with fingers and then 'blend' by stippling with a Total Beauty sponge-on-a-stick tool, and then top with Rimmel's Stay Matte pressed powder.)

PROS:
~Cheap, cheap, cheap
~Product seems to last forever
~The spatula is very convenient (sometimes I just shook the bottle, opened it, lifted the spatula and just wiped my fingers on the 'stem' of the spatula rather than the foundation-heavy flat part - this is enough to cover the face)
~Feels light, yet has a relatively moderate-to-full coverage
~Good color selection, (for fair-to-medium shades - honestly, I never look at the deep end of the spectrum because I'm so fair, so not sure what the darker selection looks like. I use 120 which is a great match for me.)
~I have hereditary acne, but never notice that the makeup causes more breakouts.

CONS:
~IT SEPERATES AND SETTLES AND BECOMES BLOTCHY. This is the only con for me but it negates all of the pros in my opinion. It just becomes so obvious that you're wearing makeup, and it settles in every pore. Honestly, it just makes you look like you have no idea what you're doing with makeup.

Luckily, I finally switched to Wet 'n' Wild's Coverall foundation, which, although being slightly more expensive and running out much quicker, is a huge improvement in quality.

on 2/21/2015 10:21:00 AM

For me, this was crap. Patchy, color was REALLY strange, poor blend ability, just felt like an incredibly poor quality foundation to me and I only wear drugstore foundations. By the end of a day it was completely gone in parts of my face (yes I used primer and setting powder) After the 3rd try with different techniques (fingers, sponge, brush) I chucked it in disgust.

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I've used this foundation on and off for a year now. The one and only thing i have against it is the color selection. I've noticed that matte type foundations tend to be darker. This specific foundation color range seems to have only pink tones. I got shade Soft Beige, and it's about one shade or so darker than my actual skin tone, and it's pink. This could be the oxidizing some reviewers experience with it. Such a shame because I really like the matte finish. I have extremely oily skin and this holds up well on my skin. The only place where shine starts to get through on this foundation is my forehead. If only it was more wearable in terms of color. I can't go out with this on because i look so orange in the face.

I'm just now writing this but I tried this two separate times. Two separate years. they just don't make a color light/fair enough for me (at least in the USA) it's as simple as that :(

I was pleasantly surprised with this foundation, since I don't like their BB cream and blush. I've been using it for about three weeks and I think I'm in love.

I have combination skin and this gave me no breakout problems whatsoever. I was so impressed that this went out without a shine and gives full, thick coverage. It really does lasts all day, even through my gym workouts. I personally like the smell and the price is hard to beat too.

I use a foundation brush instead of the spatula to apply it to avoid a cakey look. However, it dries really fast, so to avoid the cake look, be sure to blend it well with your setting powder.

on 1/10/2015 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Overall, i think this foundation is a good deal for what you get. This is not a full coverage foundation but if you mostly just need tone-evening, not blemish-covering, it will do the trick. I have very dry skin, so oilyness isn't an issue for me, but this foundation stayed just fine on me all day. That said, possibly due to the matte formulation, the foundation looked cakey on me if I didn't moisturize well. This foundation oxidized a little bit on me but not in a super noticable way so just blend this foundation well into your neck. Basically, this isnt the best foundation ever but it does the job relatively well and for a low price point. Something else to note is that this jar has a little spatula that comes with it to help you spread the foundation on your face. I found this really helpful, especially since the formula dries so quickly.

on 1/1/2015 3:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Like most people seemed to do, I bought this because I was out of my regular foundation (Revlon Colorstay Whipped) and this was the cheapest option. I bought it, came home and read the reviews, and was really nervous since it seemed so hit or miss with people. I was also apprehensive to use liquid since I normally use whipped or powder.

However, I really liked it! It didn't break me out, didn't oxidize on my face, didn't make me more oily, I couldn't feel it on my face, and the color matched nicely. I guess I work with foundation quickly because I had zero problems trying to blend it in before it dried (I use Monsitat chafing gel as a primer, idk if that makes a difference). My skin is mostly clear right now and I only have light spots I'm trying to cover, so for me the coverage was fine and felt light to medium. I took off one star because it didn't make me totally matte, but I only have to touch up with powder once a day which is normal for me. I also prefer the texture of a bouncy whipped foundation to a liquid, but I'm sure I'll adjust. Honestly there's no big reason for me not to repurchase this foundation and it's great knowing that a cheap alternative exists, especially because this one is less clunky and easier to travel with!

on 12/21/2014 7:22:00 PM

I didn't really like this. The consistency was very very thick, but when I put it on my face it got really liquidly (if that makes sense hahah). It make my chin acne more red and barely covered anything, it wasn't exactly matte either. I recommend this for people who are not prone to acne or currently have acne.

on 12/9/2014 5:36:00 PM

So I got this foundation in 130 True Ivory. The tone on the bottle may seem dark, but after playing around with it, it actually goes lighter. I feel like this foundation is a bit thick, i could feel it throughout the day. It also drys out your skin. Overall for the price of 5 dollars at walmart, its not bad. Oh, and it also comes with a spatula attach to the cap, its actually really helpful when applying foundation

on 12/2/2014 5:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I don't like this foundation at all super thick the color made me look orange it oxides on my skin and made my skin oily I don't recommend at all