October 25, 2014 | 1628 users online

Crème - L'Oreal - Visible Lift Repair Absolute

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2014 2:47:00 PM More reviews by hayleyelwick

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this for my mom because I needed some brownie points and she needed new foundation. However, because I'm obsessed with trying out new foundations, I have been using it as well. We have completely different skin types, so I thought it would be very interesting to write a review for the both of us. so you can hear both of our experiences.

I have oily, acne-prone skin, dry spots around the nose, and hyperpigmentation on the cheek/jawline area (red spots that look like acne, but no raised blemishes) My mother has normal to dry skin, always dry in the T-zone, and rosacea on the cheeks. She has some dark spots, and no wrinkles.

For me, this was bound to be an epic fail. I knew it wasn't made for my skin type, but why not just try out something! There's no harm.

I use a Sigma F80, and buff/stipple this onto my skin. It has good coverage, but definitely not full coverage. It feels wet when I put it on my skin, not like your average cream foundations, which feel thick. This doesn't feel thick at all, but it does feel moisturizing....but in a weird way. It feels more wet than a liquid foundation, which is quite interesting really. It covers up most of my hyperpigmentation, but not the really red places. I don't mind this at all, because for everyday makeup, I'm okay with seeing some imperfections.

I can get away with wearing this for 3-4 hours. If I'm just going grocery shopping or something, this is an easy foundation to just put on, set with powder, and go. I had never tried wearing it for longer than that, because I knew it was going to look horrible, lol. However, one day, I put it on because I was just going to church. Then, out of nowhere my boyfriend randomly asked me to go to lunch with him, and I ended up being out all day, with nothing to use to touch up. As I suspected, my makeup looked horrible by the time I got home. I can still use this if I'm only out for a while though.

You may be wondering why I keep using this if it looks horrible after 4 hours. I can't say I blame you, it does seem really silly. But while I have this on, it has decent coverage, it looks very natural and healthy looking, and application is fast and easy. I don't have to pour liquid foundation onto my hand, or take the time to buff in mineral powder. It's very fast, and looks very nice. As long as I don't have it on long, it's perfectly fine.

For my mother this is extremely long wearing. If she puts this on at 6 am, it will still be there at 5 pm. She says the feeling is weird, since it does feel so wet when applying, but it dries to a nice skin looking finish. She uses the Sigma F88 (flat angled kabuki), and buffs it into the skin, she never stipples. Her favorite foundation used to be mineral powders, but it took a lot to cover the rosacea on her cheeks. She likes that this takes minimal product to cover the redness, and in turn, she's had to buy makeup a lot less frequently. She does find that it can cling to dry patches, which really surprised her since the formula is so hydrating. This is easily remedied with exfoliating and moisturizing, which she does daily to prevent her makeup from clinging to dry spots. She never stipples the brush on her skin when applying, because that makes it cling to dry patches much easier.

This isn't the perfect foundation for everyone of course, but here are our two different experiences- we have completely different skin types, and are in two different age groups. I am 18, my mother is 40. I hope this has helped explain how this particular foundation works with different skin types.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2014 7:01:00 PM More reviews by egoh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have this Nude Beige and have been using it on and off for about two months now. I love that this is like a cream to powder finish and It's a medium coverage foundation. However, two months into using it, I am noticing that it is slowly drying out and pulling away from the container. Although it didn't affect the quality of the foundation, I guess I can't store this too long :(

rated 4 of 5 on 8/18/2014 11:06:00 PM More reviews by ErisQueenOfOuterSpace

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have combination skin since I passed 30 or so, and it tends toward very oily. These days, it also tends toward fine lines, and large pores, and all manner of sadness.
Considering most other positive reviews here for this product are from people with very dry skin, it's surprising, maybe, how well this product works for me. On top of primer, and set with translucent powder (Ben Nye Neutral Set, from the local theatre supply---I bought an 8 oz. jar of it two years ago, and estimate I've got another 5 before I'll need to buy any more ;), it is the perfect combination of not-oily and not-masklike, and it stays put all day---and my days sometimes run 14 hours in settings varying from churches to cemeteries to a *very* hot crematory building. Even better, it has actually improved the texture and appearance of my skin---even when I sweat (and I usually sweat. A lot.)! As long as I wash it off before I go to sleep, it's wonderful. And my eye makeup looks ten times better applied over this foundation than over bare skin.
I think a good setting powder really is the key to this makeup---the few times I've gone without, it does tend to get very shiny and slide about. And without a primer formulated to reduce the appearnce of large pores, it can settle into and exaggerate the appearance of the pores on my nose. Definitely not a one-step product, but worth the extra two minutes to do it right.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/13/2014 4:38:00 PM More reviews by Mariah22

I bought this stuff because I usually use matte foundations but thought id try this since the texture was so smooth and nice. When I first used it my face looked flawless! I loved it! Then after a few hours I noticed it made my skin extremely oily and practically slid off my face if I touched it with my hands and if I hugged someone it would get all over their shirt. I also noticed after a week of wearing this I started to break out BAD like I'm talking cystic acne! I've still used it since realizing this just to use it up and what a mistake every single time a use it not even a day later I get a huge inflamed zit/cyst I'm throwing it out. Buyer beware.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/26/2014 11:35:00 PM More reviews by Mimsy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

L'Oreal Visible Lift Repair Absolute is hands down my favorite out of all the drugstore foundations I've tried. I have very dry skin that never gets shiny or oily. Rather it tends to get drier and drier as the day goes on and naturally mattifies and dehydrates most foundations, so I prefer highly moisturizing foundations with satin or dewy finishes. I also never set my makeup with powder.

To give you an idea of how dry my skin is, here are a few of the drugstore foundations I've tried that have satin/dewy finishes on others and how they actually appear on me:
- Neutrogena Healthy Skin: Matte finish. Cakey. Clings to and accentuates dry skin. Medium-full coverage.
- Maybelline Fit Me Liquid: Powdery finish. Light-medium coverage. Clings to and accentuates dry skin.
- L’Oreal True Match Lumi: Natural matte/semi-matte finish. Light-medium coverage. It doesn’t emphasize dry skin like the other two foundations.

As someone with dry skin one of the most important things I’ve learned when looking for a foundation is to find one that’s targeted for mature skin since they're often the most moisturizing. Repair Absolute is marketed as an anti-aging foundation. It has a creme formula and comes in a small pot/compact. The texture is firm to the touch, kind of like a cool stick of butter and when I swirl my finger against the surface it feels slick and thin. It has SPF16 and is fragrance-free.

The thing I like most about this foundation is its finish. Finally, a suitable foundation for very dry skin! Everything else I’ve tried turns matte on me but Repair Absolute has a lovely satin/slightly dewy finish to it. There is absolutely no shimmer or glitter in this foundation.

It has medium coverage and my favorite way to apply it is with a dense foundation brush (Real Techniques Expert Face or Sigma Precision Flat P80) and stipple/stamp it onto the skin. I don't recommend buffing the foundation on with a brush as that can cause microexfoliation and flakes on those with very dry skin. I've also tried applying it with a damp beautyblender; I like the finish it gives but it sheers out the coverage too much for me.

One of my biggest foundation concerns is finding a formula that doesn’t turn powdery by midday. My skin sucks the moisture out of most foundations leaving a powdery layer of pigment behind. I need a moisturizing foundation and Repair Absolute seems to fit the bill. It looks as good, maybe even better, at the end of the day as it did at the start. It diminishes the appearance of large pores slightly, doesn't accentuate any dry skin or patches on me, and gives my skin a hydrated, healthy looking, satin finish.

I think Repair Absolute is best suited for people with very dry skin who are looking for some moisture and subtle dewiness to their foundation. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with even slightly oily skin. If you need oil control this isn't for you. It'll probably make you look like a greaseball.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 2/15/2014 1:42:00 PM More reviews by VintagePro

Like others, I wanted to love this, but I don't. It stays moist, even after setting it with powder, and it winds up on the clothes of everyone I hug. I have discolorations and need a full coverage foundation, and this one just doesn't cut it - it provides medium coverage at best. I've had BB creams that made my skin look better than this.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/22/2013 9:15:00 PM More reviews by xenobia1968

This is not for people with oily/combination skin. It separates in my t-zone (the oily part of my face) and looks like I took a pencil and scraped across my face with it. No matter which primer or setting powder I use, it looks awful in about an hour or so. Plus it transfers to everyone I hug. Won't purchase again

rated 3 of 5 on 8/13/2013 6:05:00 PM More reviews by dellajaz24

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to love this stuff I thought it would be perfect for my dry skin because it offers a dewy finish (which I love in a foundation) but this stuff was just not quite right.. The coverage is ok but not quite good enough for me. I like a full coverage. This is medium.
No matter how I apply it or what primer I use, it seems to never 'set' on my skin. Every time I look in the mirror it looks like I need to get out my beauty blender again and again to blend it in! because it seems to 'lift' off my skin or something and separate into a weird messy look which accentuates the hairs on my face and makes my face look totally un flawless it looks messy! Applying a setting powder over the top didn't work for me either. :( So I will be going back to my Revlon colorstay whipped I think...I have only used this stuff maybe three times and wont be attempting it again because it just doesn't work for me so I will sell it online. Price is ok. Not too bad.
One PRO about this foundation is it has SOOOO much in the jar! it could honeslty last months on end...a little goes a long way so that's one good thing about it.
Sadly it just wasn't for me :(

rated 3 of 5 on 8/9/2013 11:38:00 AM More reviews by Moaner

This foundation is just average for me. It has pretty decent coverage and goes on nice and creamy. But after a few hours, it definitely looks separated and weird on my oily parts (like my nose). It also made me break out after about 6 hrs of wear. No thank you- I won't be purchasing this again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2013 6:51:00 PM More reviews by rav2b

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I SO love this! I'd been using Merle Norman's loose minerals, but having a harder time mixing to the right shade since they changed the numbering. So, tired of the hassle, I was ripe for straying. Tried a few that were "close, but no cigar," and I have absolutely no idea why I chose this. But, wow!, I've loved it from Day One a month or so ago, and continue to be just as impressed. I use my fingers, then cream blush, then a light application of pressed translucent powder--and it stays ALL day and evening. Seriously, from 7:30a to 11 or midnight, and it's all there, looking fresh. I have absurdly sensitive eyes and this doesn't bother them at all--even when I use it on my darkish under eye circles...which brings me to coverage...this has got it. I'm amazed. It reminds me a lot of the Gerda Spillmann that looked so gorgeous, but without the stinging and heavy scent, and at a fraction of the price.

EDIT 8/10/13-- it's still awfully good, but I've rediscovered an old love: Illuminare. I like not feeling the need for powder.