July 30, 2014 | 1853 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Hercules Sagemann HS1607 Tapered Cutting Comb

rated 1.0(1 review)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2012 5:19:00 AM More reviews by Lola_B_10021

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Other

SPECS/CLAIMS:
Twist-resistant, yet flexible
Ergonomic design
Non-porous, mold/mildew resistant
Chemical and heat resistant
Antistatic (prevents fly-away hair)
Medium and fine teeth
Tapered design & flexible back
7.5"/0.3mm cut

PROS: Per my use, all of the above is true. I purchased this comb last June from Hotcombs.net for $9.50 before discount, for use as a styler, not cut/taper comb. The teeth were the perfect width and diameter to create comb coils (Shirley Temple curls made by continuously twisting a comb through the length of your hair, it's on YT) and I wanted a seamless comb.

The comb is flexible, smooth all over, glided through my hair, didn't stress my hands considering the style requires an awkward and repetitive wrist motion, was static-free, didn't snag or catch, was gentle on my fine strands, easily maneuvered my high-volume small coils, seemed to work well with water and oil and flawlessly created the effect I wanted.

CONS: Used 5 times, and mind you NEVER even attempted more than 8 individual comb coils each of those 5 times (it's a LONG process), and the comb died. It didn't die during use, it stayed in my bathroom and was rarely touched but it 'dried out' becoming stiff, brittle and losing its finish. I picked it up one day and touched the finer teeth and 3 easily broke off. Over the course of a few months more of the fine teeth broke off like twigs. I think I could easily crack it in half.

I've never used it with chems or heat or to cut and don't know if it hates certain oils, needs careful drying after use with water or if the humidity in my bathroom was a factor, but I was disappointed because my Magic Star Mini Rake from the same mfr./supplier is still brilliant after a year of use and sits right next to it. The distributor website, payment, packaging and shipping are good but this is the 2nd product from Hercules Sagemann that gets a thumbs down from me. I'd be happy to amend my reviews if someone could identify the cause of death as something I did, or didn't do : )