December 21, 2014 | 1226 users online

Treatments (Face) - Silk Naturals - Ultimate Luxury Treatment Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2013 2:35:00 AM More reviews by bomkin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

(Same review at SN site.)
Urrgh!! I wrote a really long review for this but it got erased. :( So here I go again: I've been using this for only about a little over a week. It's probably too early to review but hot damn!

So I was utterly miserable from the inflamed, deep cystic zits popping up every single day - I had about 5-7 zits on my chin at any time for a while now, as a result of quitting the pill. Not only did they look horrid, but they were P-A-I-N-F-U-L. But I also have sensitive, acne-prone skin that breaks out from lack of sleep (which I have been slacking on for many days as of late because of college) among other reasons.

I received this in the mail and have since been using it day and night, in the vague hope that it will help my skin. I didn't expect much from it on the acne front because I got it mainly for the reason people were reviewing it for: soft and smooth skin (lack of sleep makes the texture of my skin look horrible, you see). Now I'm sitting here scratching my head because all of my giant, protruding zits are gone and my chin is flat and smooth again. What. The only things left are the dark reddish brownish marks left over from the battle.

I don't know which ingredient in this is responsible for this sorcery, but I'm really happy about and going to continue using it. I haven't changed anything else in my skincare routine that I've stuck with for a long time now, for the record. The only thing I have changed is the brand of the apple cider vinegar I've been using for spot treatment - which /has/ been working, albeit very slowly (from 365 to Bragg's). But I changed it very recently, after seeing results from this powder.

The first night I used this, I woke up with less redness and no new zit forming, which was a surprise. I was still rather skeptical since nothing should work that fast? But every single day that I've been using this, my acne has been getting better and better. Now they're all gone. I don't know if it was a freaky coincidence that perhaps my hormones decided to balance themselves out on the same day I started using this (or this controlling my oil production?) - but I'm willing to bet that this is the thing that has been helping tremendously. I'm really, really happy because it was physically impossible for even my lovely Lucy Minerals foundation that covers everything to cover protrusions. Thank you Silk Naturals!

Now, I just got a bottle of Awesome Sauce and am going to see how that fares out. Meanwhile, I'm going to continue using this in the morning as my primer (which has been LOVELY to use as btw - it controls oil fairly well while not drying it out and making it harder to cover my hyperpigmentation marks!) and blotting powder. It also makes my face soft and blurred out as other reviewers have said). Once I go through Awesome Sauce and if I don't happen to madly, madly fall in love with it, I will probably come back to using this 24/7 since it has a longer shelf life and I can't afford to repurchase both continuously.

Edit: Whoa. I think this powder exfoliates my skin?? I don't know how but every time I pile this on, I see pieces of dead skin just coming off when I first wash my face in the morning. The first time I piled it on, the sink was FULL of dead skin pieces (I am SO sorry for the LOVELY image). It took me a little while to figure out what in the world just happened to the sink. I may have read somewhere that pearl powder exfoliates your skin, so it may be that... Anyhow, I love that any time I have skin trouble, I can pile this on (it doesn't make me look white no matter how much I do) and they're nearly gone in the morning.

Edit 2: I sadly won't be repurchasing this anymore.. It just is not cost-effective at the moment with the amount I have to use for it to be effective. Lucy Minerals Finishing Powder does the job of keeping oilies at bay and the finish is almost as good as ULTP at a lower cost. As for acne, it has flared back up since I have stopped using a lot of this..

Edit 3 (9/3/2014): I make my own version of this now. :) I bought some pearl powder, silk powder, allantoin from TKB Tradings and added zinc oxide powder and rose petal powder that I already got from somewhere else (amazon and mountainroseherbs) into it. It lacks the Mica and Magnesium Myrsistate, L-Ascorbly Palmitate, and Silica that SN's ULTP has, but it works well to give a very smooooooooth appearance to my makeup when used as a makeup primer. It's also a MILLON TIMES cheaper than buying a tablespoon of this every month or whatever from Silk Naturals. It still smells like roses. :))))

I didn't want to mess with vitamin C stuff and silica & I have never got along super chummy anyways, so I left those out. Sometimes I use it alone as a treatment or I just want a smooth appearance on my skin when I'm not wearing foundation and my skin combo skin isn't too dry. My recipe is as follows:

- 1/2 tsp Silk Powder (Silk Natural's version has more pearl powder than silk powder, but pearl powder was more expensive at the time that I bought the ingredients)
- 1/2 tsp Pearl Powder
- 1.4 tsp Rose Petal Powder (mmmm~)
- 1/8 tsp Zinc Oxide
- 1/16 tsp Allantoin (very unscientific lol)

It's not the MOST essential makeup item to have, but it is a very nice vanity product when you have extra money to spend and when you want to play mad scientist. :^)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2012 11:29:00 AM More reviews by Euphoria93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought a sample of this along with the perfecting powder and japanese silk powder, and I was in awe by how these powders worked along with my face. The foundation itself didn't cover enough for my taste, so I will order the full cover version the next time, but this was just gorgeous. The powder itself is so finely milled, and even if it's scary white in the jar it looks invisible and amazingly skin like on the face. It just makes the pores disappear and makes your skin feel so soft, without causing breakouts. You'll end up looking like you, only with more even skin.

The first ingredient is mica, which is kind off controversial in the mineral foundation world. But in my opinion, how can you make mineral foundation without this...? It has light reflecting and skin perfecting properties, which makes both silk naturals and mineral hygienics known for the "lit up within" effect. It can make some people break out, but it is so much better than bismuth, which I'm highly allergic to. The other ingredient is magnesium myrsistate, which has a "slippery" effect, making the powder pleasant to work with and easier to buff into the skin. It is safe to use for most people, and is not an ingredient that makes me go "obs, obs, obs!". The other ingredient is crushed pearl powder, used for ages in china as an anti inflammatory and detox agent for the skin. The other ingredients are zinc oxide (covering effect, not harmfull for the skin) and palmitate (absorbing effect on the skin, anti-age, moisturizing), rose petals (soothing properties) and allantoin (anti-irritant, anti-inflammatory, moisturizing), the last ingredient is silica, which has a oil absorbing, skin perfecting and light reflecting effect. I'm glad they don't have this as a key ingredient, because if it was, you would end up looking white on pictures with this, even if it's invisible on. Just google makeup forever HD powder and Nicole Kidman, and you'll see why... :P

All in all I'm VERY impressed with silk naturals and it's luxurious ingredients that are so rare in the mineral makeup world. Although the shipping was kind of expensive to Norway, the products itself are way too cheap compared to the quality and the great customer service. I'm glad it's not over hyped, and that the web site looks like crap... If celebrities and people all over the world knew about this, then we would all have a moroccanoil moment, and have to suffer from a high jump in price. I will definitely re-purchase, and continue to test these products. Because I'm all in all just amazingly impressed. Good job, Karen Stark. You have made me very happy!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 1:15:00 PM More reviews by frckls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE this stuff. I first tried out this product when my skin was purging and breaking out. It was sore, dull, and flaky from tretinoin. This product helped my skin calmed down a lot.
That was a long time ago. I finally bought the full size a couple of months ago. If I wear it at night, it leaves my skin so soft and looks bright in the morning. Wearing it as a setting powder, it acts like an HD powder, diffusing all the imperfections and makes my face glow. It tends to leave a whitish cast at first (NC30), but after it melds with your facial natural oil, it looks perfect.
t helped me a lot when I went back to my hometown for a short vacation. It was super hot and humid all the time, and my face keeps looking slick and sticky. A dust of this was all it takes to make my skin looks gorgeous. My skin is nowhere near perfect, but it looked a gazillion times better than may Chanel-powder-flashing-friend when we hung out together. ;p
I just wish that the jar has a rotating sifter. It would be perfect.