October 24, 2014 | 1167 users online

Eye Primer - Edward Bess - Illuminating Eyeshadow Base - Suede

rated 5.0(1 review)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2012 3:30:00 AM More reviews by Sophia1105

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I picked this up after seeing swatches of this on The Beauty Look Book. I ordered the shade Suede, which seemed more illuminating than the other shades and could be worn on it's own for some shimmer as well as to even out the lid. I am very happy I ordered this and am hoping he adds some more shades with shimmer.
Texture and color: very light texture and sheer coverage. Can be built up, but applies in a thin layer of product, almost reminiscent of the Touche Eclat but slightly less opaque. The shade is perfect for my lids, gently evens out discoloration without giving that flat, base canvas look that necessitates an eyeshadow to add dimension back to the lid. The color is actually an ashier version of my own lid (I have a lot of redness in my skin) and sets off my eye color nicely--makes the green look more watery (as opposed to muddy, which some bases can) and adds a clarity to my eyes. (Fndtn: LM Rich Vanilla mineral powder, YSL 08 Amber), I never thought I'd like a primer this much. I've tried a handful and found them to be either too paste-like or left me with blotchy lids once the shadow was applied. I prefer the softer, dewier look an eyeshadow takes on after a few hours of wear, so I typically avoid a primer. The shimmer in this keeps it from looking flat and adds dimension to the lid, much in the same way a sheer wash of a satin eyeshadow can but without the risk of looking powdery. I've tried other shimmer based primers in the past and never found one with such a gentle, easy to use formula as this and the shimmer always looked too heavy and unnatural.

Packaging: bristles are a little stiffer and I prefer to twist product out and apply with a finger, but the brush makes it great for quick mornings.

This does slightly alter how the shadows appear and against my skin, cools down my shadows (good for my ruddy complexion). This has held shadows on longer (as a primer should) but I've been really getting most use out of this as a base with no shadow over top (lashline to crease) and then his highlighter in Sunlight on the brow bone with just smidge of the bronze brown from his Back to Basics palette along the lash line. The texture and overall color and shimmer of this product are just so pretty and I'm so happy with this product that I'm having a hard time convincing myself to wear shadow over top. Finally, the dewy, evened-out lid I've been trying to achieve.