August 23, 2014 | 1954 users online

Lip Gloss - Butter London - Lippy (all shades)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2014 3:12:00 PM More reviews by DBelgium

Hi all,

as you might see from previous reviews, I only write a review if I am really happy with a product.

This lip gloss is just great.

Bought it at the airport in the duty free arena, one of these spontanous buys that either end really badly ("why did I get such crap?") or turn out to be a real discovery. The Butter lip gloss luckily ended up in the latter category.

The colour cought my eye, I got one that is called Toff. Nice dark rose, more to the brown side. Darker than what I usually wear, but still looks natural, so I got it.

Tastes delicious, slightly fruity I find, but am not good in describing tastes. Like it though. Also find that it does not smell funny.

And it looks grand. Colour is very rich and deep but exactly along the expectations, so nothing too bright for me. Stays on quite long, depends of course whether you eat or drink in between.

Will definitely watch out for the company (that I didn't know before) now again to check out some more of their products.

Always happy to pay a bit more if the quality is right.

Greetings from Belgium :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2014 9:42:00 PM More reviews by outofherhead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I find the smell lovely. Trout Pout is my favorite. It feels like a lipstick to me, and I like to feel my lipstick. Some might call this thick, I don't know. I just know it looks good, it stays put, lasting really well. It has the full color and pigment of a liquid lipstick. I love it myself, and highly recommend it. It's super shiny like a lip gloss should be. And also I do get a lot of compliments on this one, the Trout Pout I mean. Expensive? Maybe, but worth it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2014 4:01:00 AM More reviews by missmei

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

Ahhhhh this is my first review in a year or so and I gotta say I'm so excited to be writing again!

I have the Lippy Butter in "Snog" which, to me, is a peony pink with an orange base. I find this product really changes when you put it on but in a really good way. It's a really flattering peachy pink on my lips with a slight glitter through it. A little bit goes a long way so definitely take it easy on application! Most peach looking lipsticks/stains etc wash me out and make me flatter.

It has an applicator wand (which I don't love for hygiene reasons). The smell is quite strong and I feel like anything I eat or drink has a soapy tinge to it. (Aside: I never had my mouth washed out with soap as a kid but I was curious and decided to do it myself hence why I know this Lippy tastes like soap hahaha).

I bought this at the university co-op bookshop for some strange reason but glad I did coz I can put up with the strange soapy taste. I haven't been able to find this brand elsewhere in Australia except for some selected health food stores that usually sell only the nail polish. It was $19.95AUD.

I also have this in "Dancer" which is a red glitter. It's really sheer. I was thinking it would be more analogous to Dior's lip lacquers. I will be pairing this up with a matt red lipstick as the faint tinge doesn't do much for me. Looks amazing in the tube though - it's a slightly orange based red.

Good colour, kinder ingredients, quality packaging, stays on for most of the day including through eating and definitely drinking.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/14/2014 8:39:00 PM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was in Ulta looking for Gluten free/Paraben free Lipsticks/glosses which are hard to find. The Butter London rep was there and I found out she was also a Celiac and she helped me try on several of their products. As a Rep for their company, she was fantastic and definitely sold me on their brand. I picked this lippy because I had not been able to wear gloss in awhile. Most of them contain Gluten. Believe me throwing out 14 glosses and 8 lipsticks the day I was diagnosed was very upsetting.

The Lippy is their more opaque glosses and more like a glossy lipstick. now that I am 41 I prefer glosses because I sometimes think lipstick is aging on women my age. Gloss just helps hide our imperfections better and gives a more youthful look. This is long lasting, not too moist but not dry either. Shiny but not super sticky. I bought this in Dahling and it's a bit brighter rose that what it looks like on the tube so I'm glad I tried it on in the store. It was exactly the shade I was looking for.

All of Butter London products are Gluten free. This is extremely important for those like me that are Celiacs or have Gluten allergies or intolerances. I will get sick if I use the wrong lipstick and break out in blisters. It's not fun at all. It takes weeks to recover. But To see a company that guarantee Gluten free makes me extremely happy. Not a lot of makeup companies can make that claim (Juice Beauty is another one).

I plan on going back to Ulta to buy more of the Lippy and some of their other products, My boyfriend had not seen my in gloss since my diagnosis and he told me I looked beautiful. that's all it takes..lol

Note: Not sure what people are talking about with smell. Mine smelled like nothing. Like Vaseline maybe. Nothing offensive. Maybe it depends on the color or something. But I couldn't smell or taste anything weird.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2014 5:42:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Puke! This product has a nasty chemical smell. Does Butter London know it smells like Nair hair remover?

I sampled 'Snog' (a somewhat muted blue-toned red) which is absolutely lovely (a completely wearable red, which is generally difficult for me to find for my complexion) & very nostalgic for me - the color is virtually an exact dupe of a drugstore lipstick I used in the 1990's that had that kind of gorgeous rosy-red pop of color that looked alluring yet natural at the same time, not matte & not transparent, but translucent with a glow-from-within quality. It was my perfect red. Snog mimicks that pretty well.

But the scent stinks! It annoyed me as I wore it & had to wipe it off. So, no purchase for me. Too bad, because the formula is nice - thick & rich (takes some work to apply well) but stays put, is moisturizing, with a lovely glossy sheen. I'm kind of relieved I wasn't tempted into spending $17 on it. The stink is atrocious. And yes, as a few others have mentioned, it tastes as nasty as it smells, very bitter & chemical-y. Unpleasant for the wearer & anyone who kisses her on the lips.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/9/2014 12:44:00 AM More reviews by tashadenise

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love the shade/color (Yummy Mummy) more than anything but I'd prefer to find a similar shade from another brand.

I hate to be petty but the smell is what kills it for me. It smells like fake/kids makeup I use to play with as a child. And the smell doesn't go away or linger.

And it's a little too sheer for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2013 2:02:00 PM More reviews by katiepoodle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm in love! This is ranked right up there with my Chanel glossimer. I use the "Trout Pout" shade for formal occasions when I've worn heavier eye makeup. It's just enough color to pop but doesn't go 80s on ya. :) My favorite color top to match this with is black. It really pops the coral colors out. The smell is wonderful, and it's almost totally opaque. One blog likened it to a lipstick in that sense. Only complaint is that it is a bit sticky, but I'm willing to deal with that because of the high quality of this product. It lasts just as long as my Chanel - nice work, Butter London!!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2013 10:17:00 AM More reviews by jaimelyn80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I purchased this in Queen Vic after trying it on at Ulta and falling in love with the ultra bright color. It's hard to find a gloss with super saturated pigment, but this one certainly has that (and comes in so many fantastic colors). I like the applicator and the square tube. I love the way the gloss feels on my lips...it's almost cushiony. The only reason I did not give it five lippies is because it is not long lasting. It does stay on, but if you eat or drink it wears off very quickly. I think I'm just used to Clinique Glosswear, which can outlast eating an apple.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2013 3:50:00 AM More reviews by makeupjunkee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I have this in "Tea With the Queen" and it is a lovely, semi-opaque gloss that smells like cake batter! It has a thicker texture that feels a bit sticky when it is first applied, but it lasts far longer than any other gloss I've tried. The color is a nice, sheer nude. It is a bit pricey, but I would consider repurchasing and even trying some different colors.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2013 5:10:00 AM More reviews by bluber68

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Just put on some 'Yummy Mummy' lip gloss that I have forgotten that I have sitting in the drawer (a new tube) and what is with the weird and very strong melon smell of the lippy??? It is so strong and intense and gross that it is giving me a headache, totally will not recommend the lippy, but I love their nail colours though.