Butter London Lippy (all shades)

3.6

on 8/20/2015 8:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I bought this lipstick/gloss at TJ Maxx for $3.99, and I am very glad I did not pay full price for it! I got it in the color "Macbeth" which is a bright reddish-pink color. The formula is very goopy and sticky and it's tricky to apply it smoothly. The only way I could get it to look good was to blot it with a tissue and then cover it with a different sheer gloss that I own.

My biggest problem with this product is the smell and the taste of it. It has a very chemical taste and a weird smell that just won't go away while you're wearing it.

I will probably toss this one and be grateful I didn't spend $18 on it!

on 8/14/2015 11:10:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I bought this in the shade "Trout Pout" which is a beautiful warm pink. The color was right up my alley, however the formula was so awful I ended up tossing this lip gloss. Which is a shame given the price.

The formula is be far the stickiest I've ever used. It reminds me of a drugstore liquid lipstick from the 90s... before makeup evolved for the better into what it is today. I *love* sticky formulas because it always feels moisturizing and lasts longer. However this was bad. It literally felt like I was applying glue to my lips. I could feel the gloss sitting there until I wiped it off out of frustration.

I don't regret throwing it away. And I sure as hell would not repurchase.

on 5/17/2015 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I have this in JAFFA, a vibrant orangey coral -- a gorgeous bold lip color for summer. Problem is, I bought this expecting the "liquid lipstick" the product name promised. In reality, it's a tacky gloss that both doesn't last long on the lips AND stains the lip perimeter after a couple of hours. The application is also a pain: I have to drag the wand hard across my lips and re-dip again and again to wipe on enough color. In other words: this product was both disappointing AND high-maintenance. The color is beautiful, though!

I bought the color Ruby Murray, which normally retails for around $18, on clearance it was approximately $10. The normal cost is an OK price; for lip gloss I would say its a bit pricy. For that reason, I was excited to have found it on clearance. In the bottle its a lovely purple color that would work on a variety of skin tones. When applied it tones down quite a bit unless you apply a liberal amount of gloss to whole lip. On top of that it takes a lot of work to make the color appear evenly; I more times than not have to smooth it over with my finger (which is just gross). I also found that the gloss will stick to any and all imperfections on the lip. As far a surviving a meal it does Ok. You can still tell that you have something on you lips but the color will have faded further and there's more times than not food bits that stick to it (again that's just gross). Another problem that I had was when I pursed my lips the gloss seemed to stick to just one lip making my lips looked 2 toned.
I love the packaging though! Its the perfect kind of bottle (tub?) to be set out on a vanity. Not only do you know what color it's supposed to be but the casing is just so shiny and new!

on 1/16/2015 7:58:00 PM

I bought this in "tea with the queen" it's overall texture and color is gorgeous as a nude. The pricing is a little bit high for a gloss but it lasts me for months at a time and I wear it almost everyday.

on 8/18/2014 3:12:00 PM

Hi all,

as you might see from previous reviews, I only write a review if I am really happy with a product.

This lip gloss is just great.

Bought it at the airport in the duty free arena, one of these spontanous buys that either end really badly ("why did I get such crap?") or turn out to be a real discovery. The Butter lip gloss luckily ended up in the latter category.

The colour cought my eye, I got one that is called Toff. Nice dark rose, more to the brown side. Darker than what I usually wear, but still looks natural, so I got it.

Tastes delicious, slightly fruity I find, but am not good in describing tastes. Like it though. Also find that it does not smell funny.

And it looks grand. Colour is very rich and deep but exactly along the expectations, so nothing too bright for me. Stays on quite long, depends of course whether you eat or drink in between.

Will definitely watch out for the company (that I didn't know before) now again to check out some more of their products.

Always happy to pay a bit more if the quality is right.

Greetings from Belgium :)

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I find the smell lovely. Trout Pout is my favorite. It feels like a lipstick to me, and I like to feel my lipstick. Some might call this thick, I don't know. I just know it looks good, it stays put, lasting really well. It has the full color and pigment of a liquid lipstick. I love it myself, and highly recommend it. It's super shiny like a lip gloss should be. And also I do get a lot of compliments on this one, the Trout Pout I mean. Expensive? Maybe, but worth it.

on 3/22/2014 4:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Ahhhhh this is my first review in a year or so and I gotta say I'm so excited to be writing again!

I have the Lippy Butter in "Snog" which, to me, is a peony pink with an orange base. I find this product really changes when you put it on but in a really good way. It's a really flattering peachy pink on my lips with a slight glitter through it. A little bit goes a long way so definitely take it easy on application! Most peach looking lipsticks/stains etc wash me out and make me flatter.

It has an applicator wand (which I don't love for hygiene reasons). The smell is quite strong and I feel like anything I eat or drink has a soapy tinge to it. (Aside: I never had my mouth washed out with soap as a kid but I was curious and decided to do it myself hence why I know this Lippy tastes like soap hahaha).

I bought this at the university co-op bookshop for some strange reason but glad I did coz I can put up with the strange soapy taste. I haven't been able to find this brand elsewhere in Australia except for some selected health food stores that usually sell only the nail polish. It was $19.95AUD.

I also have this in "Dancer" which is a red glitter. It's really sheer. I was thinking it would be more analogous to Dior's lip lacquers. I will be pairing this up with a matt red lipstick as the faint tinge doesn't do much for me. Looks amazing in the tube though - it's a slightly orange based red.

Good colour, kinder ingredients, quality packaging, stays on for most of the day including through eating and definitely drinking.

on 2/14/2014 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I was in Ulta looking for Gluten free/Paraben free Lipsticks/glosses which are hard to find. The Butter London rep was there and I found out she was also a Celiac and she helped me try on several of their products. As a Rep for their company, she was fantastic and definitely sold me on their brand. I picked this lippy because I had not been able to wear gloss in awhile. Most of them contain Gluten. Believe me throwing out 14 glosses and 8 lipsticks the day I was diagnosed was very upsetting.

The Lippy is their more opaque glosses and more like a glossy lipstick. now that I am 41 I prefer glosses because I sometimes think lipstick is aging on women my age. Gloss just helps hide our imperfections better and gives a more youthful look. This is long lasting, not too moist but not dry either. Shiny but not super sticky. I bought this in Dahling and it's a bit brighter rose that what it looks like on the tube so I'm glad I tried it on in the store. It was exactly the shade I was looking for.

All of Butter London products are Gluten free. This is extremely important for those like me that are Celiacs or have Gluten allergies or intolerances. I will get sick if I use the wrong lipstick and break out in blisters. It's not fun at all. It takes weeks to recover. But To see a company that guarantee Gluten free makes me extremely happy. Not a lot of makeup companies can make that claim (Juice Beauty is another one).

I plan on going back to Ulta to buy more of the Lippy and some of their other products, My boyfriend had not seen my in gloss since my diagnosis and he told me I looked beautiful. that's all it takes..lol

Note: Not sure what people are talking about with smell. Mine smelled like nothing. Like Vaseline maybe. Nothing offensive. Maybe it depends on the color or something. But I couldn't smell or taste anything weird.

on 1/31/2014 5:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Puke! This product has a nasty chemical smell. Does Butter London know it smells like Nair hair remover?

I sampled 'Snog' (a somewhat muted blue-toned red) which is absolutely lovely (a completely wearable red, which is generally difficult for me to find for my complexion) & very nostalgic for me - the color is virtually an exact dupe of a drugstore lipstick I used in the 1990's that had that kind of gorgeous rosy-red pop of color that looked alluring yet natural at the same time, not matte & not transparent, but translucent with a glow-from-within quality. It was my perfect red. Snog mimicks that pretty well.

But the scent stinks! It annoyed me as I wore it & had to wipe it off. So, no purchase for me. Too bad, because the formula is nice - thick & rich (takes some work to apply well) but stays put, is moisturizing, with a lovely glossy sheen. I'm kind of relieved I wasn't tempted into spending $17 on it. The stink is atrocious. And yes, as a few others have mentioned, it tastes as nasty as it smells, very bitter & chemical-y. Unpleasant for the wearer & anyone who kisses her on the lips.

Popular Lip Glosses