Raw Honey

4.3

on 5/26/2015 6:10:00 PM

First off, all honey is NOT created equal. Your "basic" honey is the kind in the honey bear squeeze tube - do not use this on your face! It has been refined and robbed of all the good stuff and enzymes that you want when using it as a face wash or mask! For a couple dollars more you can get RAW honey; unpasteurized, unrefined, and hopefully organic. This is what you want for your face. Next step up would be Manuka honey, which apparently has way more antibacterial properties, but is a great deal more expensive (around 20 dollars for a small jar) and I have yet to make that kind of commitment! I bought a jar of raw, organic honey at Trader Joes for around $5.00. Perfect.

This is now my HG face wash!! I have been using raw honey as a cleanser for a little over 3 weeks now. First, I oil cleanse with grapeseed oil to take off my makeup, follow up with the hot steamed washcloth, and then cleanse with the honey. If I have time, I'll leave it on for 30 mins to an hour before washing it off. You will be left with clean, even, dewy skin. I seriously see such a reduction in redness every time I wash with this. Ever since cutting out all toxic chemical face products, my skin has been MUCH happier. The only thing i use on my face anymore that has chemicals is foundation and makeup, which I am in the process of switching over to more natural products. Also for the first time in FOREVER, I am actually confident enough to be seen without makeup. This is BIG for me, so that's saying a lot about how much my skin has improved.

TIPS :)
- There was an adjustment, or some say "purging" phase. Don't let this freak you out! For me, I think it was just my skin adjusting to not having any chemicals or soaps put on it! I had a few cystic pimples (but not really any more than usual for me) and then they cleared up pretty quickly and now I haven't had a cyst in like two weeks which is unheard of for me.

- If you are leaving your cleanser on for some time after, apply it to a slightly damp face. It will be way less sticky and stay on much better. Also, use a headband! It is pretty sucky if it gets in your hair.

- My favorite tip is to buy the liquid version of raw honey - not the solid form. Then you can pour it into a repurposed pump bottle and it is WAY less messy to use! Makes it way more convenient and sanitary than sticking your fingers into a jar each time.

- Last but not least, play around with it! I've taken to adding essential oils into my honey (my favorite is lavender, the two mixed together is absolutely divine) but you can add whatever essential oils you like. Sometimes I add turmeric, oatmeal, or brown sugar if I want exfoliation...the possibilities are endless!

The point is this stuff is all natural and AMAZING for your face. Try it, and cut out all the processed chemicals you put on your skin. Your face will love you for it.

on 4/24/2015 6:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Who doesn't love honey? It is healthy for our body and skin.

I like how this can also cleans my face well. I stopped using this as my cleanser because i like oatmeal better and because of the numerous ants wandering around our bathroom. 😑

The best way to use honey is using it as a mask, scrub, toner, vitamins, etc. When used alone as a mask for 30 mins, this is very moisturizing. I love using it as a scrub with either brown sugar or green tea. It makes my face smooth and calms breakouts.

Pros
▪️ Moisturizing
▪️ Gentle
▪️ Anti inflammatory
▪️ Yummy 🐷
▪️ Multi purpose

Cons
▪️ A good honey is expensive
▪️ Messy when used as a cleanser
▪️ Bathroom ant invasion 🐜

❤️❤️❤️❤️

on 4/16/2015 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Ok so I have oily acne prone skin with mild rosacea and seb. Dermatitis (gross I know). So I've tried everything:
Retin-A= too harsh on rosacea
Finacea= caused more bumps and wasted a year of my life on it breaking out
Clarisonic Mia 2= ok once a week
Drugstore acne meds= total bullshit
Vitamins D3, Zinc, Green Tea, E, etc.= no change
Minocycline= allergic
Desonide= steroid
Clindamycin= not ok for my Crohn's
Promiseb= great but not perfect
Lotrimin Ultra= fairly good

So this is my first night trying to raw honey mask. I got mine from Moms organic market, it's the Y.S. Eco Bees brand.
I just washed off all my makeup and dried my face completely. I used a teaspoon size amount of the honey and massaged it on my pimple infested cheeks. It feels good so far but I will do this every other day for 15 minutes and update as much as possible. See my other reviews as I'm the queen of updating them!
1 day update: Woke up and one pimple that had just popped up is noticeably less red.
4/19 2nd treatment: sitting with my mask on now, usually keep it on for 20 minutes
4/20 no change in pimple size or redness but will try again Tuesday
4/21 did a 20 minute mask again last night, less flakes this morning but to change in my papules
4/22 I have 2 new painful pimples so I'll wait a while to gather the courage to retry
5/1 I haven't used this again but just so you know, it did help the flakiness of my seb derm just not my acne

on 4/3/2015 7:01:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

This is the best thing for my sensitive skin. I buy local raw honey. Sometimes I leave it on for 30 mins, and other times if I am impatient I'll leave it on for 5-10mins and rinse. Sometimes I mix vitamin e with the honey. Before applying I pull my hair back and use a thick headband to cover my hair in the front. It sucks when the honey gets in your hair. My skin always feels so wonderful and soft! It takes the redness away and makes acne scars less noticeable! I don't use honey everyday. I switch between this and a gentle cleanser. All in all, I would recommend anyone with sensitive skin to give raw honey a try. Buy local!

on 2/4/2015 7:54:00 PM

I got curious again as to "super natural" skin care and went through my skin diary.

In 2013 I used raw honey on my face as a cleaner, morning and night, nothing else for the month of July. I noted how amazing it was was, how it cleared my skin and then after 3 weeks I broke out and shifted back to old chemical stuff to clear up my skin.
Huh???
I don't know if it was humidity, hormonal or what... but as we know, when we break out we freak out and I just needed my skin clean. So I ditched it.

Well, my notes were so positive (glowing, clear, dewy, hydrated) I decided to try it again.
I did some more research and thought about either adding it with SAFE baking soda (from the health food store - aluminum FREE - and no, not baking power - that is something else), and perhaps sugar on occassion but that could be risky with larger granuals.

So in the middle of starting a new product line which I love (Andalou), I am going back to use the honey as a cleaner with 3 x a week with the baking soda.
I'm willing to give it another go because
1)It is the super natural of super natural skin care
2)It is cheaper than store bough cleaner
3)If I can tweak it a bit , I may have my silver bullet cleaner for my skin.

SO... I am going to put in more time on this and see what happens.
I have had this happen in the past with Rosehip seed oil AND mineral loose foundation. Upon first trial - DISASTER- broke out, awful.
I thought to ditch it.
But I went back to both, 6 mos or so later - I don't know why, curiosity maybe???
to see if anything had changed.
Wouldn't you know it I use Rosehip seed oil and mineral loose foundation LOVED my skin.
I instinctively know both are very good for me and the planet, so perhaps it was just an "adjustment phase."

I am going to be patient.
And I am gonna try again.
Right now I am LOVING raw honey on my face!!!

Will update.

on 1/27/2015 8:58:00 PM

Wow!!! I just purchased my first jar of raw honey. Of course, as soon as I got home I went straight upstairs to wash my face and then slap some honey on. I saw on another review to massage it in and leave it on for an hour. Well! I am very, very pleased with the result! My skin has never been so soft and smooth! My pores are now super tiny, too. I only gave it four lip pies as the only downfall for me was I had to keep my dog from trying to lick it of my face. So much for relaxing! Lol. Oh, I almost forgot. The jar was cheap. $6.50 cad. Again, the packaging is a jar. Not the most sanitary, however, well, it is honey after all. I hope (well pray) that with continued use, that I will be blessed with the rewards I keep reading about.

on 1/22/2015 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Honey. It's great as a food - but also great as a skin care ingredient.

Mix with sugar or salt or oatmeal for an exfoliant/scrub.
Use on lips as a balm (tastes great, too)
Add to facial masks
Add to conditioning hair treatments

So many uses.

on 1/18/2015 6:53:00 PM

Possible cause to acne breakout:/ I am sticking to my simple basic routine & products.

on 1/15/2015 2:56:00 PM

I started using this when I was pregnant and searching for something, anything to help my hormonal perioral dermatitis. This did not help the PD (for the record, nothing did except giving birth & having my hormones get back to normal!) but I did discover other benefits.

I double cleanse and use this as my second cleanser in warmer months. It rinses clean very easily, smells great, and leaves my skin feeling tight and smooth. Not a dryness tight typical of sulfate cleansers, just a firmness. I definitely would not recommend using it as an only cleanser. It will not remove makeup. If you're not into double cleansing, stick to experimenting with it as a base for DIY masks.

And $10 for a big jar of the organic stuff? Yes please. The only drawback is packaging. I have a smaller travel jar that I decant into as needed, which is convenient when packing for a trip.

on 12/7/2014 8:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is the 'base mask' that I add my honey to:

Oatmeal : two teaspoons (Any oatmeal is fine, be it instant or just the normal ones)
Yogurt : one and a half to two teaspoons

It is as simple as that. Although simple and basic as it is, this humble mask will instantly brighten, whiten and reduce redness on your skin. It soothes any irritation and leaves your skin feeling so smooth after.

How I customise my mask to cater to my skin's needs:

1. Honey

Great for : it's moisturising, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant abilities

Honey has a great moisturising ability and can significantly prolong the time the mask stays moist. The longer the mask stays moist on the skin, the more your skin absorbs.

It is also anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. Honey also has anti-oxidants in it. It is said that the darker the honey, the better the anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties of the honey. In my picture I used Manuka honey, but I found that the more affordable honey works just as well.

Directions: add half a teaspoon of honey to base mixture

To read on about how oatmeal, yogurt helps your skin, or how I customise my masks with tumeric, coffee or lemon read: