Raw Honey

4.3

on 8/30/2015 2:09:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I use raw organic honey (locally farmed) to wash my face every morning. The raw organic is grainy and creamy. On the first few uses, you may feel a little flushed but it goes away pretty quickly. I keep a jar in the shower and this is my go to wash. I find that my breakouts have decreased, my skin is balanced and overall much healthier. I suffered from cystic acne on my chin and jawline for nearly twenty years and since I started this I've gone from having four or five cysts a week to one every few months. Give it a chance and try it. It works!

on 6/30/2015 9:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm

In Ginger Garrett's book 'Beauty From the Bible', honey and olive oil are mentioned as two of the ingredients that work wonders for the skin. Yes, indeed!

I follow Garrett's technique of applying honey with moist fingertips, on the face. It soothes the face. Honey is also a humectant and antiseptic (assuming one uses raw, unprocessed).
Her book also has a recipe for a skin creme, with only beeswax, honey and olive oil in equal parts. This creme too, is awesome! Apparently, the ingredient mix is close to that in the 'Egyptian Magic' cream that costs several times over.

I have also found out that Manuka honey is working great for my skin and hair. A honey-egg yolk mask on the hair, makes it incredibly shiny and silky. I also noticed silkier/softer results when I used raw Manuka honey instead of raw generic honey.

Honey (diluted with distilled water and triphala churna) also works miracles for the eyes.
A honey eye wash will clean out any impurities or bacteria and cure dry eyes. I often use honey eye wash, with a drop of honey in a teaspoon of distilled water and some triphala.

Better to use honey than skin products containing chemicals like propylene glycol etc for retaining moisture!

Of course, the whole process of using honey on the skin/hair is messy. LOL. But, a honey treatment is fun. Love love love the scent of honey.

on 6/15/2015 4:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I wanted to take a few weeks to use honey to see how it worked on my skin before i wrote a review. It's been about 4 weeks since i started and i've experimented with different ways before finding how it works best for me.

Ok first off I got RAW honey from whole foods, the darker wildflower kind. First I used it as a cleanser in the shower. I noticed small red bumps afterwards around my chin and jaw. Nothing horrible i think that was just my skin adjusting to it. I stopped using it as a cleanser though and started wearing it over night pretty much all over my face. It was horrible to sleep with... i kept waking up with my face stuck to my pillow or a blanket (lol) and my hair would stick to my face. I also noticed that when i used it every single night my pores began to clog a little.

So i stopped using it all over my face overnight and instead i just used it as an overnight spot treatment. It's very effective for bringing down the redness of a big pimple, especially an annoying under the skin one. The final method i use with honey is a 30 min mask before a shower, usually every three days. Which is AMAZING. It makes my skin literally glow. Its best when I'm about to put on makeup afterwards, which preps my skin nicely. It makes my makeup go on nicely (light liquid to powder foundation by loreal, which is the best, fyi)

My overall review of this product is that it is very effective but not when used overnight all over the face or as an everyday cleanser. I found that the results are better when you use it as a mask every few days. NOT every single day. i have very mild acne and mild acne scars with the occasional big pimple or cyst. Ever since the honey, if pimples form they go away very fast. I also use aveeno moisturizing bar to cleanse twice a day and witch hazel as a toner twice a day. My skin looks great.

UPDATE: I'm still using honey on my face but i switched brands because the kind i was using turned out to not actually be RAW honey... the label said raw but the consistency was clear and syrupy, which i read online that real honey is not like that at all. So I got another jar of actual raw honey which is COMPLETELY different in texture and color. It works soooooo much better and it doesnt clog my pores, which was happening last time because it wasnt actually raw honey. I also use it on my lips and it makes them plump and soft

on 5/26/2015 6:10:00 PM

First off, all honey is NOT created equal. Your "basic" honey is the kind in the honey bear squeeze tube - do not use this on your face! It has been refined and robbed of all the good stuff and enzymes that you want when using it as a face wash or mask! For a couple dollars more you can get RAW honey; unpasteurized, unrefined, and hopefully organic. This is what you want for your face. Next step up would be Manuka honey, which apparently has way more antibacterial properties, but is a great deal more expensive (around 20 dollars for a small jar) and I have yet to make that kind of commitment! I bought a jar of raw, organic honey at Trader Joes for around $5.00. Perfect.

This is now my HG face wash!! I have been using raw honey as a cleanser for a little over 3 weeks now. First, I oil cleanse with grapeseed oil to take off my makeup, follow up with the hot steamed washcloth, and then cleanse with the honey. If I have time, I'll leave it on for 30 mins to an hour before washing it off. You will be left with clean, even, dewy skin. I seriously see such a reduction in redness every time I wash with this. Ever since cutting out all toxic chemical face products, my skin has been MUCH happier. The only thing i use on my face anymore that has chemicals is foundation and makeup, which I am in the process of switching over to more natural products. Also for the first time in FOREVER, I am actually confident enough to be seen without makeup. This is BIG for me, so that's saying a lot about how much my skin has improved.

TIPS :)
- There was an adjustment, or some say "purging" phase. Don't let this freak you out! For me, I think it was just my skin adjusting to not having any chemicals or soaps put on it! I had a few cystic pimples (but not really any more than usual for me) and then they cleared up pretty quickly and now I haven't had a cyst in like two weeks which is unheard of for me.

- If you are leaving your cleanser on for some time after, apply it to a slightly damp face. It will be way less sticky and stay on much better. Also, use a headband! It is pretty sucky if it gets in your hair.

- My favorite tip is to buy the liquid version of raw honey - not the solid form. Then you can pour it into a repurposed pump bottle and it is WAY less messy to use! Makes it way more convenient and sanitary than sticking your fingers into a jar each time.

- Last but not least, play around with it! I've taken to adding essential oils into my honey (my favorite is lavender, the two mixed together is absolutely divine) but you can add whatever essential oils you like. Sometimes I add turmeric, oatmeal, or brown sugar if I want exfoliation...the possibilities are endless!

The point is this stuff is all natural and AMAZING for your face. Try it, and cut out all the processed chemicals you put on your skin. Your face will love you for it.

on 4/24/2015 6:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Who doesn't love honey? It is healthy for our body and skin.

I like how this can also cleans my face well. I stopped using this as my cleanser because i like oatmeal better and because of the numerous ants wandering around our bathroom. 😑

The best way to use honey is using it as a mask, scrub, toner, vitamins, etc. When used alone as a mask for 30 mins, this is very moisturizing. I love using it as a scrub with either brown sugar or green tea. It makes my face smooth and calms breakouts.

Pros
▪️ Moisturizing
▪️ Gentle
▪️ Anti inflammatory
▪️ Yummy 🐷
▪️ Multi purpose

Cons
▪️ A good honey is expensive
▪️ Messy when used as a cleanser
▪️ Bathroom ant invasion 🐜

❤️❤️❤️❤️

on 4/16/2015 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Ok so I have oily acne prone skin with mild rosacea and seb. Dermatitis (gross I know). So I've tried everything:
Retin-A= too harsh on rosacea
Finacea= caused more bumps and wasted a year of my life on it breaking out
Clarisonic Mia 2= ok once a week
Drugstore acne meds= total bullshit
Vitamins D3, Zinc, Green Tea, E, etc.= no change
Minocycline= allergic
Desonide= steroid
Clindamycin= not ok for my Crohn's
Promiseb= great but not perfect
Lotrimin Ultra= fairly good

So this is my first night trying to raw honey mask. I got mine from Moms organic market, it's the Y.S. Eco Bees brand.
I just washed off all my makeup and dried my face completely. I used a teaspoon size amount of the honey and massaged it on my pimple infested cheeks. It feels good so far but I will do this every other day for 15 minutes and update as much as possible. See my other reviews as I'm the queen of updating them!
1 day update: Woke up and one pimple that had just popped up is noticeably less red.
4/19 2nd treatment: sitting with my mask on now, usually keep it on for 20 minutes
4/20 no change in pimple size or redness but will try again Tuesday
4/21 did a 20 minute mask again last night, less flakes this morning but to change in my papules
4/22 I have 2 new painful pimples so I'll wait a while to gather the courage to retry
5/1 I haven't used this again but just so you know, it did help the flakiness of my seb derm just not my acne

on 4/3/2015 7:01:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Other

This is the best thing for my sensitive skin. I buy local raw honey. Sometimes I leave it on for 30 mins, and other times if I am impatient I'll leave it on for 5-10mins and rinse. Sometimes I mix vitamin e with the honey. Before applying I pull my hair back and use a thick headband to cover my hair in the front. It sucks when the honey gets in your hair. My skin always feels so wonderful and soft! It takes the redness away and makes acne scars less noticeable! I don't use honey everyday. I switch between this and a gentle cleanser. All in all, I would recommend anyone with sensitive skin to give raw honey a try. Buy local!

on 2/4/2015 7:54:00 PM

I got curious again as to "super natural" skin care and went through my skin diary.

In 2013 I used raw honey on my face as a cleaner, morning and night, nothing else for the month of July. I noted how amazing it was was, how it cleared my skin and then after 3 weeks I broke out and shifted back to old chemical stuff to clear up my skin.
Huh???
I don't know if it was humidity, hormonal or what... but as we know, when we break out we freak out and I just needed my skin clean. So I ditched it.

Well, my notes were so positive (glowing, clear, dewy, hydrated) I decided to try it again.
I did some more research and thought about either adding it with SAFE baking soda (from the health food store - aluminum FREE - and no, not baking power - that is something else), and perhaps sugar on occassion but that could be risky with larger granuals.

So in the middle of starting a new product line which I love (Andalou), I am going back to use the honey as a cleaner with 3 x a week with the baking soda.
I'm willing to give it another go because
1)It is the super natural of super natural skin care
2)It is cheaper than store bough cleaner
3)If I can tweak it a bit , I may have my silver bullet cleaner for my skin.

SO... I am going to put in more time on this and see what happens.
I have had this happen in the past with Rosehip seed oil AND mineral loose foundation. Upon first trial - DISASTER- broke out, awful.
I thought to ditch it.
But I went back to both, 6 mos or so later - I don't know why, curiosity maybe???
to see if anything had changed.
Wouldn't you know it I use Rosehip seed oil and mineral loose foundation LOVED my skin.
I instinctively know both are very good for me and the planet, so perhaps it was just an "adjustment phase."

I am going to be patient.
And I am gonna try again.
Right now I am LOVING raw honey on my face!!!

Will update.

on 1/27/2015 8:58:00 PM

Wow!!! I just purchased my first jar of raw honey. Of course, as soon as I got home I went straight upstairs to wash my face and then slap some honey on. I saw on another review to massage it in and leave it on for an hour. Well! I am very, very pleased with the result! My skin has never been so soft and smooth! My pores are now super tiny, too. I only gave it four lip pies as the only downfall for me was I had to keep my dog from trying to lick it of my face. So much for relaxing! Lol. Oh, I almost forgot. The jar was cheap. $6.50 cad. Again, the packaging is a jar. Not the most sanitary, however, well, it is honey after all. I hope (well pray) that with continued use, that I will be blessed with the rewards I keep reading about.

on 1/22/2015 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Honey. It's great as a food - but also great as a skin care ingredient.

Mix with sugar or salt or oatmeal for an exfoliant/scrub.
Use on lips as a balm (tastes great, too)
Add to facial masks
Add to conditioning hair treatments

So many uses.