April 18, 2014 | 1931 users online

Cleansers - Raw Honey

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2014 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Arhtexas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

About my skin: I have combination skin that is prone to flesh toned bumps on my forehead, black heads on my nose and breakouts with "regular" pimples along my jawline and chin :)

When I decided to go chemical free and following ample research, I bought a jar of raw, unfiltered organic honey from Trader Joe's and a jar of raw, unfiltered, organic Manuka Honey from Whole Foods to try out. I washed my face twice a day with my clarisonic for a 2 weeks with the regular honey and then did the same thing for 2 weeks with the manuka honey. I found that the manuka honey was too drying for my skin to wash with twice daily, especially along by jaw and cheeks. The regular honey was more moisturizing and although it evened out my tone/coloring, it did nothing for my blackheads and I even felt that they become more prominent while I was washing my face with just the honey. I loved the idea of what it was doing for my skin and it did even out my tone but just wasn't moisturizing enough for my skin! I still put some on for 30 minutes and let it sit in as a mask but just washing my face with honey wasn’t working for me and I was having to go back and throw on lotion multiple times a day. Sorry, but I’m lazy and am one of those people that “puts on my face” in the morning and doesn’t like to touch it again until I take it off at night- I’m not a carry a compact in my purse kind of gal.

Another draw back to just honey was that it did not remove my makeup so I went several weeks without wearing makeup until I could go to the store to get some baking soda to mix into the honey and remove any makeup I was wearing. The baking/soda honey regime at night was too rough on my skin (even after I smoothed on a ACV/Water mixture to bring back my PH levels) and so this lead me to another avenue of mixing honey and powdered goats milk together to remove my makeup in the evening (again, after lots of research). THIS I LOVE! Although the smell is something I am trying to get used to and figure out how to handle, the mixing of honey and goatsmilk has lessened my breakouts, made my blackheads less prominent, made my skin incredibly smooth and i don’t even have to add moisturizer at night. It even removes all my make up and suncreen!Love it!- now if I can just get over the smell (goats milk has an interesting scent!) I would be good to go- totally green/chemical free with smooth, clear skin!

My regimen:
Once a week: I mix some powdered goats milk and water into a squeezy tube; shake
Morning: Pour a little honey onto my clarisonic brush head. Squirt a milk goats milk onto the honey and massage into my face. Put on a little juice beauty oil free 30spf moisturizer and let this sit into my sin for a few minutes while I dress. Then throw my powder on and go!
Evening: Pour a little honey onto my clarisonic brush head but at night (because I want a little extra exfoliation to get my makeup all the way off) I sprinkle some of the powdered goats milk from the canister onto the honey and massage it into my face. That’s it! My face is so moisturized, I don’t have to add any lotion and I am completely chemical free as I lay my head down to sleep!

I’ve thought about doing goatsmilk soap as the smell would probably not be as pungent but it has so many oils and my skin HATED the oil cleansing method when I gave that a go so I am leary. But I will get over the smell because my skin looks and feels AWESOME!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 11:24:00 AM More reviews by UrbanObsession

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Like the previous reviewer, I've tried raw honey multiple times (locally made) that I bought from a health food store and my skin reacts terribly to it. I applied it as a mask and rinsed it off, each time my skin looked raw and felt itchy. Today I gave it one more try as a face wash OMG my pores were instantly clogged with whiteheads and existing blackheads were inflamed and huge! My face looks sunburned and irritated ugh. I will stick to putting honey in my tea and cooking--sensitive skin, acne-prone guys/gals should seriously avoid or spot test before applying all over. Two hours later, my skin burns and I'm kicking myself for giving raw honey another chance! I so want this to work for me as it's natural and not full of chemicals or filler, but I'm off the bandwagon on this one.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/15/2013 9:08:00 PM More reviews by xVladilenax

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I kept hearing about all the kinds of benefits of organic raw honey so I went out and bought some from a local organic grocery store and it was raw and organic. I went home and was so eager to try it! I should have patch tested it on my arm to see if I would react but I figured that since it was natural I would not but boy was I wrong!!! After 30 seconds of having it on my face it started burning and itching terribly so I ran to the bathroom to wash it off and my face was so red and itchy and was bumpy. I now have a terrible rash all over my face :( I can eat honey but when I put it on my skin I get a terrible rash. I am really sad I can't use honey because others have had great results with it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2013 10:24:00 PM More reviews by lotusfairy

I use pure locally produced manuka honey to cleanse my face in the morning. It is soothing and makes my skin soft and less congested. It also keeps me from getting dry patches around my mouth and nose. I always keep a jar of this in my kitchen because it works wonderful on cuts too because of it anti-bacterial qualities. I place a small amount in a condiment bowl, scoop it up with my fingers, and spread on my slightly damp skin. I then make sure to work it in my skin by massaging it all over my face and letting it sit for a couple of minutes like a mask. All you do next is rinse with warm water and pat dry. I still like Burt Bee's Radiance cleanser with bee pollen, but this is a step up from that. Plus it is organic. I love it!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 10:14:00 PM More reviews by JennyWalsh1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used raw honey for a few months a while ago and I did see results. The beauty is, it is cheap! I had some scars and feel like in combiination with the retinol, I got rid of some of them.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2013 10:01:00 PM More reviews by lmack87

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have really sensitive oily skin that breaks out constantly. Being 26 I thought my skin would get better not worst as I get older. A few months ago I developed really bad perioral dermatitis . It's a dry red rash around your nose and mouth. I tried everything to get rid of it but it just got worst. My skin was so sensitive I started using la Roche posay dermo cleanser for intolerant skin. I was still get clogged pores and pimples but this helped calm my skin. I read on here about honey and decided to try. I brought manuka organic honey . I have to say it is amazing! I never write reviews but I had to share. I first was my face twice with the la Roche cleanser using a wash cloth to steam pores then I pay dry my face and use a small amount of honey and rub onto face for a few minutes. I don't wash off. This is the key I rub in a la Roche moisturiser for sensitive combination skin. It takes most of the stickiness away. I use more honey at night and less at day so it isn't as sticky. My perioral dermo has gone completely. I haven't had any new pimples. My skin looks glowing and is so much more calmer and smoother. I wish I had started this sooner and not wastes so much money on skin care. Raw honey is a must if u have sensitive dry but pimples and oily skin

rated 3 of 5 on 10/7/2013 6:43:00 PM More reviews by 1m083n

This works well for cleaning out your pores, and works for a mass majority as a lovely facial wash. However, honey after 3 months of trying billions of brands (all raw) and manuka, i continued to have strange break outs while it did help so much with my blackheads. Raw buckwheat honey has all the benefits of manuka, so if you're looking to save money i'd still go for the best and order buckwheat!
Although it was reasonably bad on my skin, it was a brilliant transition for my skin off commercial cleansers and African black soap (which tricks you into thinking it is good for the first few weeks but through over drying will cause a huge backlash of acne later on) and it allowed me to find goats milk (i use powdered form - easy to mix with some water in my hands and spread all over face)! It cleans off all of my makeup which i never found honey was quite able to accomplish, and for extra face exfoliation i use some goats yogurt (i react to Dairy - yes, even on my skin!). Allowed my acne ridden skin punished constantly with my picking to be clear and pore-less for the first time since i was 14!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2013 12:04:00 AM More reviews by anniegirl216

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It never fails.... whenever i am at Trader Joes buying jars and jars of Raw Organic Honey, the cashiers and/or other shoppers ask "what do you do with all this honey?" I can't tell you how many people i have turned Raw Organic Honey on as a facial wash. It just works so well, i couldn't logically purchase my expensive facial cleansers, that i thought would make my skin look great, and boy was i wrong! I use Raw Organic Honey to wash my face & fresh aloe vera as my moisturizer. Is it really this simple?? The answer is YES! I never had so many people ask me "what do you use for your clear complexion?" and yes, the stunned reactions after i tell them Raw Organic Honey is priceless, but the truth is it just works! Look up the benefits to both it is asounding that more skin care lines dont use these ingrediants. Hey, maybe that's what i should do?? lol

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2013 5:02:00 PM More reviews by ktbark447

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Lately my skin has been extremely red and splotchy. I thought I just needed better makeup to cover it up. As I was talking to a consultant in Ulta, she recommended switching face washes. I didn't even think of that! I have used so many different face washes- Noxima, two different Simple products, St. Ive's, AcneFree, just to name a few. Simple Smoothing Facial Scrub worked okay, but when I switched to Simple Moisturizing Facial Wash, my skin freaked out. My face was red ALL over; makeup wouldn't even cover it up, either. Not only that, with all of these face washes, my face always felt warm to the touch. It was the weirdest thing! I was so unbelievably fed up.
I did my research, and I came across raw, organic honey. My thought was, "why the heck not?" Maybe it was the chemicals in all of the face washes that made my skin so red. I ordered a 1 lb paste from SawnsonVitamins.com for like $7.19. I also decided to try the Jojoba Oil. My routine for the past month or so has been to put the honey on my dry face for 15 minutes to even an hour some nights. Then I wash it off with warm water and splash cold water to close my pores. I have noticed the redness has gone down dramatically (it's still there, and it might just be that I'm over-critical). Not only that, but my skin is not warm to the touch anymore (thank God!). What's more, my pores don't look as large and clogged.
That being said, my acne marks (which I hardly ever get) have not miraculously disappeared like some others. I only have a few on my lower left chin. I even tried putting honey on these scars and bandaging them up over night; no such luck. With honey, the pimples I had before starting this regiment have taken forever to go away.
However, I haven't really gotten any pimples since starting the honey, so it must be good for preventing pimples!
The Jojoba Oil, now, is a little different. I've been using it every other day or so because I have fairly oily skin. I don't really like the feeling, don't really notice a difference if I use it or don't use it, and it comes off all over my pillowcase at night anyways. It does make my hair feel nice, though.
Pros: Evening out complexion, unclogging pores, preventing pimples, Alllllllll natural!
Cons: Getting rid of immediate acne, not so good at getting rid of acne scars.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/12/2013 10:23:00 PM More reviews by Camri

Raw Honey! I love this stuff. Makes skin so soft and smooth. Helps with scarring and making skin more even toned. I do a mask twice a week and leave on for about 30 minutes. Really has made a huge difference in my complexion. Make sure you get RAW honey. You can buy it at trader joes or whole foods.