October 1, 2014 | 2016 users online

Cleansers - Raw Honey

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2014 6:31:00 PM More reviews by daria33

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I do a honey mask/face massage every once in a while, and it's great. I just did one with thick buckwheat honey, and my pores look super clean. I should do this more often. I also want to try mixing it with ground flaxseed and maybe even some almond oil and doing a mild scrub/mask--something I heard about that sounds intriguing.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2014 6:49:00 PM More reviews by SepiaRose

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can't tell you if it's a good facial cleanser or not because I keep eating mine. I CAN tell you it's delicious, good for sore throats and cough and upset stomachs.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2014 3:40:00 PM More reviews by Michelle1642

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this, and I do in some way, but the honey/face wash did not work for me. Maybe it was the particular brand that I was using (I am using raw Manuka honey), but it caused my face to breakout,and not just any type of acne, but really big cysts :( I had to stop the honey. I thought at some point that it could be the combination of honey/argan oil/aloe vera in my new routine, so I stopped everything. I just washed my face with my Origins face wash for one day and then nothing but water for the rest of the week. Thankfully, my face improved a lot and looked better again. I then decided to give Manuka honey another try, and I used it as a mask for 15 minutes, I loved how clear and bright my skin was afterwards, and I swear that the acne scars that I have were actually disappearing. I thought this could be how I can use finally make use of raw honey, as a mask once a week, but then, I noticed a HUGE cyst on my chin next day, and I mean HUGE. I really am discouraged now and I know I will never use it again. I might want to experiment again later, but this time probably with regular raw honey. Sometimes we really want to love a product and we're really disappointed when it works wonders with others and not with us, but it's just about listening to our body and give it what it wants instead of sticking to a rigid routine that can sometimes do more harm than good.
I would probably buy good regular honey again (not pricey Manuka) because it's yummy and also to make my sugar/olive oil/honey lip scrub.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/17/2014 11:43:00 PM More reviews by BarefootedALIEN

I use raw local honey about 3xs a week. I have tried it both with and without makeup and with or without wetting my face first. In my case, honey takes off my face makeup (i use olive oil as my eye makeup remover). I really prefer not to wet my face first. I just put some in my palm, wash normally, rinse with water, use acv toner, and end with cerave pm lotion. My skin is smooth and radiant. Maybe one day I will use every night, but not now... I'll work my way there. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2014 12:07:00 AM More reviews by Art4Cara

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Just starting to use raw honey in combo with extra-virgin coconut oil as a cleanser, since even CeraVe and Aquaglycolic Cleansers were starting to dry me out. I already had the coconut oil(Trader Joe's - exc. quality and great price), and just got Trader Joe's raw honey. I've been mixing equal parts of both in a tiny tiny bowl - just enough for a few applications while I'm test-driving - I can change the proportions if I need to.I've only been on this combo for 3 days, but I noticed an immediate difference in the hydration of my skin. Anything that I put on works better. It really feels like my skin is being fed with this combo. Since I'm test-driving this, it's a little early for a real verdict, but so far I'm loving it! I'm leaning more toward going back to simpler natural products for at least part of my routine, if not all. Transitioning gradually now, in that when I use my commercial stuff up, I might not replace it. It depends on how this combo works for me over the next month. I do have older, combo, reactive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2014 12:34:00 PM More reviews by brighteyesgal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am reviewing the Trader Joe's Organic, Natural honey. I bought this to try because I was sick of nothing working for me. Everything breaks me out! I tried Cerave, Cetaphil and Dove soap, etc. They were either too drying and broke me out, so I decided to try an all natural skin care routine. I used honey for about 9 weeks now and at first, I was breaking out alot. I would wake up every single day with a new pimple. Some were very large, some were itchy and small. It just an on going battle. This happened for about 7 weeks and finally it stopped!
I still break out, but not everyday. Also, I notice the honey heals my pimples really quickly. Within two days, they're gone!! I have sensitive, combo with hormonal acne skin.
I would suggest this for anyone who is not allergic to honey and if you do, try to give it a chance.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2014 9:20:00 PM More reviews by BrittyBratty0

I've been using raw honey as a cleanser/mask. i wet my face and then i rub the honey into my skin and let it sit for like 15 minutes and then i wash it off. actually i use it as a spot treatment too 😍 it seems like it gets rid of the pimple just not the cysts. but overall i like it and it tastes so good lol

rated 2 of 5 on 6/10/2014 10:36:00 AM More reviews by breakawayface

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This seems to work for people with dry skin or who aren't already suffering from very bad acne. I used raw, unfiltered honey twice a day and wore no makeup for about 3 weeks. For the first week I was impressed--my skin felt super soft and it seemed like my deep acne was healing faster. However, after the first week my skin started to feel too oily, my blackheads got worse, and the honey did nothing to prevent large, painful pimples.

After using this for almost a month, I've found it to be no more effective than Cetaphil (a lotion-y, super mild cleanser), which was never strong enough for my oily/combo skin. However, raw honey is such a good deal (only $7 for a jar that will probably last 3 months) and it seems to work for so many people that I'm glad I tried it.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/4/2014 5:30:00 PM More reviews by Arhtexas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

About my skin: I have combination skin that is prone to flesh toned bumps on my forehead, black heads on my nose and breakouts with "regular" pimples along my jawline and chin :)

When I decided to go chemical free and following ample research, I bought a jar of raw, unfiltered organic honey from Trader Joe's and a jar of raw, unfiltered, organic Manuka Honey from Whole Foods to try out. I washed my face twice a day with my clarisonic for a 2 weeks with the regular honey and then did the same thing for 2 weeks with the manuka honey. I found that the manuka honey was too drying for my skin to wash with twice daily, especially along by jaw and cheeks. The regular honey was more moisturizing and although it evened out my tone/coloring, it did nothing for my blackheads and I even felt that they become more prominent while I was washing my face with just the honey. I loved the idea of what it was doing for my skin and it did even out my tone but just wasn't moisturizing enough for my skin! I still put some on for 30 minutes and let it sit in as a mask but just washing my face with honey wasn’t working for me and I was having to go back and throw on lotion multiple times a day. Sorry, but I’m lazy and am one of those people that “puts on my face” in the morning and doesn’t like to touch it again until I take it off at night- I’m not a carry a compact in my purse kind of gal.

Another draw back to just honey was that it did not remove my makeup so I went several weeks without wearing makeup until I could go to the store to get some baking soda to mix into the honey and remove any makeup I was wearing. The baking/soda honey regime at night was too rough on my skin (even after I smoothed on a ACV/Water mixture to bring back my PH levels) and so this lead me to another avenue of mixing honey and powdered goats milk together to remove my makeup in the evening (again, after lots of research). THIS I LOVE! Although the smell is something I am trying to get used to and figure out how to handle, the mixing of honey and goatsmilk has lessened my breakouts, made my blackheads less prominent, made my skin incredibly smooth and i don’t even have to add moisturizer at night. It even removes all my make up and suncreen!Love it!- now if I can just get over the smell (goats milk has an interesting scent!) I would be good to go- totally green/chemical free with smooth, clear skin!

My regimen:
Once a week: I mix some powdered goats milk and water into a squeezy tube; shake
Morning: Pour a little honey onto my clarisonic brush head. Squirt a milk goats milk onto the honey and massage into my face. Put on a little juice beauty oil free 30spf moisturizer and let this sit into my sin for a few minutes while I dress. Then throw my powder on and go!
Evening: Pour a little honey onto my clarisonic brush head but at night (because I want a little extra exfoliation to get my makeup all the way off) I sprinkle some of the powdered goats milk from the canister onto the honey and massage it into my face. That’s it! My face is so moisturized, I don’t have to add any lotion and I am completely chemical free as I lay my head down to sleep!

I’ve thought about doing goatsmilk soap as the smell would probably not be as pungent but it has so many oils and my skin HATED the oil cleansing method when I gave that a go so I am leary. But I will get over the smell because my skin looks and feels AWESOME!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/5/2014 11:24:00 AM More reviews by UrbanObsession

Like the previous reviewer, I've tried raw honey multiple times (locally made) that I bought from a health food store and my skin reacts terribly to it. I applied it as a mask and rinsed it off, each time my skin looked raw and felt itchy. Today I gave it one more try as a face wash OMG my pores were instantly clogged with whiteheads and existing blackheads were inflamed and huge! My face looks sunburned and irritated ugh. I will stick to putting honey in my tea and cooking--sensitive skin, acne-prone guys/gals should seriously avoid or spot test before applying all over. Two hours later, my skin burns and I'm kicking myself for giving raw honey another chance! I so want this to work for me as it's natural and not full of chemicals or filler, but I'm off the bandwagon on this one.