January 29, 2015 | 2103 users online

Cleansers - Raw Honey

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2015 8:58:00 PM More reviews by oilyandaging

Wow!!! I just purchased my first jar of raw honey. Of course, as soon as I got home I went straight upstairs to wash my face and then slap some honey on. I saw on another review to massage it in and leave it on for an hour. Well! I am very, very pleased with the result! My skin has never been so soft and smooth! My pores are now super tiny, too. I only gave it four lip pies as the only downfall for me was I had to keep my dog from trying to lick it of my face. So much for relaxing! Lol. Oh, I almost forgot. The jar was cheap. $6.50 cad. Again, the packaging is a jar. Not the most sanitary, however, well, it is honey after all. I hope (well pray) that with continued use, that I will be blessed with the rewards I keep reading about.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2015 11:34:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Honey. It's great as a food - but also great as a skin care ingredient.

Mix with sugar or salt or oatmeal for an exfoliant/scrub.
Use on lips as a balm (tastes great, too)
Add to facial masks
Add to conditioning hair treatments

So many uses.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/18/2015 6:53:00 PM More reviews by Lorel1

Possible cause to acne breakout:/ I am sticking to my simple basic routine & products.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2015 2:56:00 PM More reviews by missbliss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I started using this when I was pregnant and searching for something, anything to help my hormonal perioral dermatitis. This did not help the PD (for the record, nothing did except giving birth & having my hormones get back to normal!) but I did discover other benefits.

I double cleanse and use this as my second cleanser in warmer months. It rinses clean very easily, smells great, and leaves my skin feeling tight and smooth. Not a dryness tight typical of sulfate cleansers, just a firmness. I definitely would not recommend using it as an only cleanser. It will not remove makeup. If you're not into double cleansing, stick to experimenting with it as a base for DIY masks.

And $10 for a big jar of the organic stuff? Yes please. The only drawback is packaging. I have a smaller travel jar that I decant into as needed, which is convenient when packing for a trip.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2014 8:19:00 AM More reviews by Clxer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is the 'base mask' that I add my honey to:

Oatmeal : two teaspoons (Any oatmeal is fine, be it instant or just the normal ones)
Yogurt : one and a half to two teaspoons

It is as simple as that. Although simple and basic as it is, this humble mask will instantly brighten, whiten and reduce redness on your skin. It soothes any irritation and leaves your skin feeling so smooth after.

How I customise my mask to cater to my skin's needs:

1. Honey

Great for : it's moisturising, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant abilities

Honey has a great moisturising ability and can significantly prolong the time the mask stays moist. The longer the mask stays moist on the skin, the more your skin absorbs.

It is also anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. Honey also has anti-oxidants in it. It is said that the darker the honey, the better the anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties of the honey. In my picture I used Manuka honey, but I found that the more affordable honey works just as well.

Directions: add half a teaspoon of honey to base mixture

To read on about how oatmeal, yogurt helps your skin, or how I customise my masks with tumeric, coffee or lemon read:

rated 5 of 5 on 12/5/2014 3:23:00 AM More reviews by gracefoowaisan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I have been using raw honey to cleanse for about 2 months now. Good stuff, I wish I knew about it earlier. I have sensitive combination skin, with a shit load of congestion and hormonal pimples. My skin flakes too. I don't know how much problems and one layer of epidermis pack. Been switching cleanses so much I lost track but the last cleanser I used before honey, was dermalogica'a special cleansing gel and that dried my skin out like mad; you know how dried skin makes you look like a tired hag? I then discovered honey. I use it day and night like a cleanser and sometimes I leave it on a little longer like a mask when I have the time. It balanced out the dry patches on my skin and return it to its tamer self, reduced the redness and I swear my hyper pigmentation from previous pimples got lighter. Honey does not break me out.

Quite the saviour, I just hope the effect lasts :)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/3/2014 10:23:00 PM More reviews by acciohashi

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I love me some raw honey for the taste and health benefits.
Applied, topically, I don't use it as a cleanser. I use it as a mask. I usually mix it with other beneficial things like green tea, oatmeal, gingko extract, and egg white(so it adheres to skin better and stays there).

When my skin is freaking out and red, it really helps calms it down. I also use it when my acne is particularly painful. It has anti-inflammatory properties, and acne is an inflammatory disorder so this helps to tone it down. It also has antioxidant properties, so it shields my skin against things in my environment I have no control over.

I use this primarily at night since I don't want to worry about SPF.

I use this on days I wear no makeup, I have time to kill, and I don't care who sees me, since this can create a sticky mess of things.

It's a great idea for a sleepover to make some homemade masks, and use them while we're doing each others hair. It is sticky so it'll stick to hair if you're not careful. Sometimes, I put tissue paper on top to help it stay put where I want it.

The more time you use it, the more effective it becomes.

If you leave a giant batch out in the open for more than a day, it'll lose it's effectiveness so less is more.

When I take it off, my skin looks less red and smoother and is softer to the touch.

By no means is it a miracle cure, but it works pretty well and it's cheap.

Dark honey is especially effective.

It's also great for lip balm(if you can resist licking) and especially good for cold sores. It helps in wound healing and my cold sores go away much quicker using some of this at night, of course in conjunction to some topical treatments.

If you're making your own line of skin care products, consider using some of this in the products, particularly lip balms or mixed with clay in masks.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2014 7:34:00 PM More reviews by Chubilovesyou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

The only thing that saved my face! Keeps my acne at bay. I love love this stuff. But it really has to be raw honey! Otherwise it doesn't work on my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/27/2014 7:26:00 PM More reviews by KittyScarlett

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If you have seen any of my other reviews, you will notice that they centre around sensitive skin. For the past few months I have been using raw honey as a cleanser and Amazing doesn't do it justice!

I have mild rosacea and very sensitive skin and the raw honey has kept my skin calm and clear for months. I have never, ever in my life had such uninterrupted periods of calm, clear skin. Ever! I still use the Institut Esthedern Biomimetic Cream and the Cellular Water from the same range, but the addition of honey to my routine has absolutely transformed my skin, 1000,000%!

When cleansing in the evening, I use the Dermologica Ultra Calming Cleanser to remove makeup first, but then massage a good teaspoon of raw honey onto my skin. I leave it for a few minutes, then rinse, I sweep over my face with a damp cotton wool pad to remove excess water, and then spritz with cellular water before applying moisturiser. In the morning, I miss out the cleanser and just use the honey. It is so cheap and you have nothing to lose by trying it. I have been astonished by the results, give it a go!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/20/2014 9:30:00 AM More reviews by Carybear

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i dont buy into the whole "food on your face" crunchy/greenwashing bull. If it worked ever they'd still be using it today. Aleppo soap is a 2000 year old formula. Humankind figured out how to *make* soap. Why regress to something so messy and ineffective? I admit I tried this once or twice. But like the whole oil cleansing thing...it didn't work. In fact, it was a just an awful mess and a horrid experiment.

Just a note on the OCM. "like dissolves like" works on pavement and painted surfaces. Not on human skin. Oil is not soluble in oil any more than it is in water. Solubility is not to be confused with the ability to dissolve or liquefy a substance, because the solution might occur not only because of dissolution but also because of a chemical reaction. Start thinking about what you are using on your skin in terms of molecular weight and potential of hydrogen. Not one of us has the same chemical composition as another; thus everyone's skin has a different chemical mix forming the acid mantle and lipid barrier. Get it, Kids?