October 23, 2014 | 880 users online

Shampoo - Alterna - Bamboo Abundant Volume

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2014 12:46:00 AM More reviews by izzybella

Bought this shampoo on a whim and now I'm regretting the purchase. Made my hair dry and straw-like. Roots seem a bit more lifted, but it's temporary as my hair goes flat again in a few hours. Scent is almost cologne-like, so this could definitely work for both sexes. I didn't use the matching conditioner so I'm not sure if that would help. I personally hate the cheap plastic bamboo shaped bottle this is packaged in. I have fine, wavy/straight non-color treated hair that's down to the middle of my back.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2013 10:23:00 PM More reviews by fifi_kitten

i hate to be the lone dissenter, but i really hate this shampoo. it's soo drying my hair feels like straw. it lathers really well, but as i rinse it out my hair feels very sticky. the conditioner is pretty much crap as well, provides absolutely no moisture, conditioning, or even detangling power. and as for volume, that's definitely a no. my hair ends up limp and lifeless with TONS of flyaways/frizzies. i have fine hair, but a lot of it and it's long (lower back length). it's in relatively good health. this shampoo made my hair look so bad i was really tempted to cut it all off.

the smell is alright...it's kind of masculine/cologne-ish, but it doesn't last too long. it may be a bit strong if you're sensitive to smells.

as for the packaging, i don't know if other reviewers are using it wrong or they changed it or what, but i love it. the cap stays on the bottle, it just rotates maybe a half a turn clockwise/anti clockwise to open it/close it. so once you've turned it to open it, you just squeeze the shampoo out of the small hole in cap. easy peasy. but i like the concept because i think if i had actually liked the shampoo enough to use the entire bottle, it would sit upside down on it's cap when the bottle is close to empty and it'd be fairly stable (most other shampoo bottles topple over).

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2013 10:59:00 AM More reviews by peepeepod

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really do like this shampoo but it's a love/hate relationship. I say this because this shampoo does not give my hair much "oomph", although it doesnt make it look bad, either. It does clean well and leave my scalp feeling healthy instead of irritated like many "healthy" shampoos tend to do. I like the fact that it doesnt have anything in it to strip my color and it's so gentle. I HATE the packaging and the smell. This is why I say that I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's good points outweight it's bad. If you want clean hair with some volume, and you hate nasty chemicals that dry your hair and irritate your scalp, then THIS is your shampoo. I keep it in my rotation for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2013 11:47:00 AM More reviews by cheljo01

After switching shampoo and realizing the old one was just knotting my hair and making it fall out, i knew i had to do something. My husband is in the military and we just moved to Tennessee...if you have ever been in this situation, then you know it is extremely difficult to find a good salon! Anyways, i have noticed a lot of salons around here using Alterna (found out on their websites.) So, as I'm trying to take better care of my hair and notice this is natural/organic, I figured i had to try it. I found it on eBay for cheaper than normal. (oh, btw, my hair is very damaged from dying it and very thin/fine....also, naturally curly/wavy.) It was pretty expensive for my taste, but considering this other shampoo (which is from a good company) was just knotting up my hair like a birds nest, i was getting frustrated to the core! Got this stuff in the mail the other day, used it yesterday and OMG! SUCH a 180* compared to before!! It didn't even use my leave-in conditioner and my hair was amazing!! I usually have my husband touch my hair after i try something new and he's like "yeah, it's ok.." but yesterday, he loved how soft and silky it was!! Definitely going to stick with Alterna. FINALLY found something worth sticking with!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2012 7:37:00 PM More reviews by Kat308

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this shampoo. It does add volume and my hair does not feel dry. I don't use a conditioner because I find it weighs down my thin hair and with this shampoo I don't need to. I will definately buy this shampoo again. I took one lippy of because of the bottle, I don't like the cap-you twist it off while holding in the sides. The smell is nice, it lathers nicely, and what I like is it does not have: Parabens, Sulfates, Synthetic Fragrances, Phthalates, GMOs, Triclosan.

Below is what the shampoo does:
*Gentle, daily use volumizing shampoo
*Free of sulfates & sodium chloride
*Infuses hair with weightless moisture and vital nutrients for healthy volumn
*Makes hair look fuller and feel stronger
*Protein-binding amino-acids penetrate the hair shaft to naturally rebuild and thicken it
*Provides fullness, thickness & lift to even the finest hair types
*Protects color

I paid $16 at Ulta, It was actually $20 but I had a 20% off coupon.

I was using Ojon, but Ojon is has some undesirable chemicals. I will definately be buying this again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2012 10:48:00 AM More reviews by sweetgardenangel

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This shampoo is my absolute favorite! I discovered it when Sephora threw in some freebie sample packets on my last order! So happy about that, or I may not have discovered until some time later!

This shampoo actually does volumize my hair. My hair is fine, color-treated in dark brunette so I was concerned on retaining my color, as I do the color myself. It moisturizes at the same time. Since it is chock full of very quality ingredients, it does not foam up like your ordinary shampoo that is spiked with sulfates or detergent.

My hair DOES feel stronger, more resilient and more responsive to hair drying with a round brush or flat brush, depending on the look of my bob hairstyle. It also improves the frizzy situation, where, when I walk outside, the humidity doesn't alter my hair style into a flop!

I am also a firm believer to follow up with the Bamboo Abundant Volume Conditioner. It, too, is wonderful in my hair routine. In addition, after your comb-out, I place a dab of an extremely magical moisturizing cream by Alterna, called the Silk Sleek Creme. It smells so spa like, I'd adore a body cream in that mesmerizing scent.

I took one lippie off the overal evaluation because of the packaging. You twist the top and there is like a bubble of ingredient which pops up when you squeeze. I find I like a smaller quantity of product so I always try to 1/2 bubble the thingie. Also, you MUST store the conditioner upside down, otherwise, it is next to impossible to get the conditioner through the bubble thingie. And with only 8.5 ounces of product, you can swiftly go through the product because so much comes through the bubble thingie. So it requires a bit of practice for getting the product out in minimal quantity.

I am thoroughly thrilled with all these new products and will continue to use them as my HG.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2012 10:31:00 AM More reviews by crickett85

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really, really like Alterna's Bamboo Abundant Volume Shampoo because it did just what it said it would. It gently cleansed my color treated (I might add somewhat dry) and highlighted hair while adding weightless volume. I did follow this up with Alterna's Bamboo Abundant Volume Condioner.
A little pricey (about $20 for each bottle, I tried the samples first) but I was SOOOO impressed with the results!
And, these are eco-friendly products. I will update when I find out; however, if they are tested on animals.
Below is the description, courtesy of Alterna:

Alterna BAMBOO Volume Abundant Volume Shampoo

8.5oz

$20.00

description for Alterna BAMBOO Volume Abundant Volume Shampoo

BAMBOO Volume Abundant Volume Shampoo combines strengthening pure organic Bamboo Extract and stimulating, phyto-nutrient rich organic Maca Root in a gentle sulfate and sodium chloride free formula that cleanses and energizes hair with weightless moisture for a fresh, full-bodied look. Because great hair should be sustainable.

Benefits:
Gentle, daily use volumizing shampoo.
Infuses hair with weightless moisture and vital nutrients for healthy volume.
Makes hair look fuller and feel stronger.
Protein-binding amino-acids penetrate the hair shaft to naturally rebuild and thicken it.
Provides fullness, thickness and lift to even the finest hair types.
Protects color with Color Hold technology.
Contains eco-certified ingredients grown responsibly and ethically traded. FREE OF sulfates, sodium chloride, parabens, gluten, TEA, phthalates