Alterna Bamboo Abundant Volume

3.5

Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Methyl 2-Sulfolaurate, Disodium 2-Sulfolaurate, Lauramide MEA, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, PEG-150 Distearate, Silicone Quaternium-8, Cetrimonium Chloride, Rice Amino Acids, Phospholipids, Panthenol, Panthenyl Hydroxypropyl Steardimonium Chloride, Bambusa Vulgaris Water, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein PG-Propyl Silanetriol, Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Saccharomyces/Silicon Ferment, Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment, Saccharomyces/Iron Ferment, Polyquaternium-55, Superoxide Dismutase, Polysilicone-15, Hydrolyzed Cottonseed Protein, Hydrolyzed Pearl, Bambusa Vulgaris Extract, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Lepidium Meyenii Root Extract, Amodimethicone, Butyloctanol, Glycerin, Methyl Gluceth-10, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Silicone Quaternium-16, Undeceth-11, Aminomethyl Propanol, Undeceth-5, Disodium EDTA, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance, Linalool, Limonene.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I'm 70 and have the thinning, gray hair that goes with it...plus it's very fine. I have tried sooooo many volumizing, body building, thickening, etc. shampoos ( high-end to low-end). So far, this is my favorite. Haven't found my HG yet, but this works really, really well. My hair feels and looks thicker. Love that my hair it feels natural not gummy or slick.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Because this is a sulfate-free shampoo, there is not much lather with this shampoo. It contains rice amno acids, plant proteins and vitamin b-5. The shampoo also contains bamboo extract which is supposed to add volume to hair. The scent is a masculine cologne style scent but it is not overpowering. Overall, it is just ok as a hair cleanser. It adds no volume to my hair and my hair does feel dry after using this.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This shampoo made my hair feel like straw and didn't do much for volume either. Luckily I only bought the sample sizes of this and the conditioner. I also do not like the way it smells at all. Smells like my grandpa's cologne. Will not repurchase and the rest of what is left is actually going in the trash.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I originally got this, and the conditioner, as a sample when I purchased something from Sephora.com. I have long, lightly layered, fine hair. It is also color-treated. Though I have a lot of hair, most of my life it has been limp and lacking volume (unless I use products to counteract that, of course).

These products are sulfate free, so there is not a lot of lathering when you use the shampoo. If you aren't used to sulfate free shampoo, it might feel like you aren't really cleaning your hair, but you are.

The first thing I noticed after washing and conditioning with these products was the smell. I love when the scent of shampoos/conditioners lingers in your hair. I realize not everyone may like that. I love it. I also love this scent and disagree with those that say it smells masculine or like cologne. It is not a feminine scent, either, but I just find it to be very pleasant. I couldn't stop sniffing my hair the first time I used it.

The second thing I noticed was the incredibly shine this gave to my hair. I have NEVER gotten a lot of shine from simply shampooing/conditioning before. I have had shiny hair after leaving the salon and having it colored, or washed and blowdried with other products, but never JUST from shampoo/conditioner.

My hair is slightly more bouncy and a bit more voluminous after using this, but nothing super drastic in my opinion. I would certainly purchase again, even though it is very expensive, because I've never had hair so shiny and nice smelling from just s/c before.

If you are looking for super duper volume/thickening, this might not be for you. See if you can get samples prior to purchasing.

Love using this shampoo. Smells feminine and clean. Makes my hair soft and bouncy. I wil buy it again for the thirth time!

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

Bought this shampoo on a whim and now I'm regretting the purchase. Made my hair dry and straw-like. Roots seem a bit more lifted, but it's temporary as my hair goes flat again in a few hours. Scent is almost cologne-like, so this could definitely work for both sexes. I didn't use the matching conditioner so I'm not sure if that would help. I personally hate the cheap plastic bamboo shaped bottle this is packaged in. I have fine, wavy/straight non-color treated hair that's down to the middle of my back.

i hate to be the lone dissenter, but i really hate this shampoo. it's soo drying my hair feels like straw. it lathers really well, but as i rinse it out my hair feels very sticky. the conditioner is pretty much crap as well, provides absolutely no moisture, conditioning, or even detangling power. and as for volume, that's definitely a no. my hair ends up limp and lifeless with TONS of flyaways/frizzies. i have fine hair, but a lot of it and it's long (lower back length). it's in relatively good health. this shampoo made my hair look so bad i was really tempted to cut it all off.

the smell is alright...it's kind of masculine/cologne-ish, but it doesn't last too long. it may be a bit strong if you're sensitive to smells.

as for the packaging, i don't know if other reviewers are using it wrong or they changed it or what, but i love it. the cap stays on the bottle, it just rotates maybe a half a turn clockwise/anti clockwise to open it/close it. so once you've turned it to open it, you just squeeze the shampoo out of the small hole in cap. easy peasy. but i like the concept because i think if i had actually liked the shampoo enough to use the entire bottle, it would sit upside down on it's cap when the bottle is close to empty and it'd be fairly stable (most other shampoo bottles topple over).

I really do like this shampoo but it's a love/hate relationship. I say this because this shampoo does not give my hair much "oomph", although it doesnt make it look bad, either. It does clean well and leave my scalp feeling healthy instead of irritated like many "healthy" shampoos tend to do. I like the fact that it doesnt have anything in it to strip my color and it's so gentle. I HATE the packaging and the smell. This is why I say that I have a love/hate relationship with it. It's good points outweight it's bad. If you want clean hair with some volume, and you hate nasty chemicals that dry your hair and irritate your scalp, then THIS is your shampoo. I keep it in my rotation for sure.

After switching shampoo and realizing the old one was just knotting my hair and making it fall out, i knew i had to do something. My husband is in the military and we just moved to Tennessee...if you have ever been in this situation, then you know it is extremely difficult to find a good salon! Anyways, i have noticed a lot of salons around here using Alterna (found out on their websites.) So, as I'm trying to take better care of my hair and notice this is natural/organic, I figured i had to try it. I found it on eBay for cheaper than normal. (oh, btw, my hair is very damaged from dying it and very thin/fine....also, naturally curly/wavy.) It was pretty expensive for my taste, but considering this other shampoo (which is from a good company) was just knotting up my hair like a birds nest, i was getting frustrated to the core! Got this stuff in the mail the other day, used it yesterday and OMG! SUCH a 180* compared to before!! It didn't even use my leave-in conditioner and my hair was amazing!! I usually have my husband touch my hair after i try something new and he's like "yeah, it's ok.." but yesterday, he loved how soft and silky it was!! Definitely going to stick with Alterna. FINALLY found something worth sticking with!

I really like this shampoo. It does add volume and my hair does not feel dry. I don't use a conditioner because I find it weighs down my thin hair and with this shampoo I don't need to. I will definately buy this shampoo again. I took one lippy of because of the bottle, I don't like the cap-you twist it off while holding in the sides. The smell is nice, it lathers nicely, and what I like is it does not have: Parabens, Sulfates, Synthetic Fragrances, Phthalates, GMOs, Triclosan.

Below is what the shampoo does:
*Gentle, daily use volumizing shampoo
*Free of sulfates & sodium chloride
*Infuses hair with weightless moisture and vital nutrients for healthy volumn
*Makes hair look fuller and feel stronger
*Protein-binding amino-acids penetrate the hair shaft to naturally rebuild and thicken it
*Provides fullness, thickness & lift to even the finest hair types
*Protects color

I paid $16 at Ulta, It was actually $20 but I had a 20% off coupon.

I was using Ojon, but Ojon is has some undesirable chemicals. I will definately be buying this again.

Top Rated Alterna Products