August 23, 2014 | 1374 users online

Self Tanners - St.Tropez - Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2014 6:41:00 PM More reviews by xAysha

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really cant understand the rave reviews on this!! In all my years of constant fake tanning ive never used one so awful. Ive tried every one out there. The original st tropez mousse is good. But this omg.. The colour isnt even dark its this greeny strange colour- its apparently suppose to be green so that when u wash off the guide colour a nice deep natural tan is left. Just no. Most of it washes away. U cant do two layers (like i do with all other tans) as it wont stick in just goes odd. It goes on blotchy and patchy and is VERY sticky even half hour after tanning, the only ok thing is it doesnt smell bad as some. Ive tried everything to try to make this work, but its going in the bin. this cost me £38 and i MUCHHH prefer St Moriz dark mousse which is darker, a nicer colour, is never sticky even 5mins after applying, lasts ages, and only costs £4!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2014 4:52:00 PM More reviews by rachelsxoxo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm really not sure what all the fuss is about this product. First of all, it absolutely reeks on me. I am literally smelling my arm right now after having a shower and it still smells of fake tanner. Blech. How people can say there's no smell is beyond me. Second, I find it dries too quickly to rub all the product in, even with heavy moisturizer on. As for the colour, I woke up this morning and was like, "whoa? What did I do?" It looked super orange and streaky on me, but after my shower, a lot of it rinsed off, and it's a more natural colour, although, I've seen better. This is my second shot with this product (the first time I was more tanned, so it was easier to blend the colour into my skin), but either I'm really bad at applying self-tanner, or this product is just not worth the hype.

I'm still on the hunt for my HG self- tanner, but for darkening the skin, I still prefer Sally Hansen airbrush legs in Deep because now that is an application that is fool proof, and the colour is really natural, even though it makes me freakin' dark.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2014 1:42:00 PM More reviews by margomiller

Such a beautiful tan!!! if you are nervous and can't decide if the dark will be too dark, don't worry, it will be fine. Keep your receipt in case you want the light version. My only complaint is that I need to redo my tan about every 4 days. You also need to make sure you exfoliate well, sugar works well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2014 5:17:00 PM More reviews by valentina555

I am a pale and neutral/cool toned. I have also used the regular St Tropez mousse, and Vita Liberata 2-3 week in medium.

On my PALE skin, this produces a natural result. But I MUST be careful with application.

However, I would warn against using this as a first go at self-tanning. Start with the regular/white bottle, which itself gives good color. This dark version is a much more high-maintenance product than the regular version.
Here's why: it is very sensitive to moisture. For 8 hours. You really should apply this before bed, because any sort of sweat ...and even washing your hands!!!...will muck this up. It also does not blend quite as easily as the regular. This might not seem like a big deal but if you sweat at all and happen to have your arms crossed…. you'll find patches on the inside of your elbows. It's that finicky.

In disagreement with other reviews I've read, I did not find this produced any more odor than the original.

I would recommend it as a "topper." Use the regular on your whole body, and apply a top-up of the dark on the places you want extra "sun" -- shoulders/upper arms, decollete, maybe inner/outer thighs for some slimming. It's fussy around ankles and wrists, so limiting its use to where you want the most pop! ensures the best results.

have fun!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2014 11:07:00 AM More reviews by emmydims

I received a voucher to get 25% off any St.Tropez products. Now I am a person who tans a lot and I have gone from self tanners like St..moritz, to many fake bakes and now this. It's taken me so long to finally purchase St. Tropez tan. First of all this is £33 from the official website, and it unfortunately doesn't come with a mitt. The mitt is sold separately for just under £4, however I highly recommend this applicator if you want to achieve the best results. I have been using fake bake flawless tan for a while which has a very quick and easy application, so in comparison to fake bake I found the application of st.tropez mouse hard work. But that is probably because I need to adapt to the technique they recommended. You do not need huge dollops of this product at all because it spreads a lot. At first the colour is very olive toned so I would recommend for this tan to only be used before bed or if you do not plan on leaving the house. Try to avoid water for 4 hours at least. Once fully developed you will be left with a lovely golden colour. I was worried to shower because I'd read that the guide colour is much darker and washes off a lot of colour, however for me mine seemed to stay on a lot more than I had expected! I only put 2 layers everywhere and just 1 on my arms, which is impressive as with St.Moritz and Fake Bake I seem to have to apply layer after layer to achieve my tan. This is brown not at all orange. This tan lasts a good week if you keep moisturised, it fades more than comes of 'scaly' which is perfect. Not to mention the smell is so fresh and clean, so you don't have to go to bed smelling that unpleasant smell ( but the smell does creep in later on). I would highly recommend this product even for this cost, I think the top quality ingredients helps justify the price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2014 1:30:00 AM More reviews by stellar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I previously reviewed this product but my review became kind of confusing and unclear due to multiple updates, so I thought I'd just delete it and leave a new one. I first purchased this product last summer when I was going through a self-professed obsession with sunless tanner. I tried a new one nearly every time I applied my tan (once a week) and this one was definitely one of my favorites. Now that I've used it more this summer I feel like I'm able to leave a more solid review.

APPLICATION: I really don't understand the complaints about how hard this is to apply evenly and about how it dries too quickly. For me, application is foolproof. I have never ever once had a blotch or a streak, even on the more difficult areas such as feet, ankles, elbows, hands, etc. It's been flawless every time. Prior to tanning I do the usual shaving my legs and exfoliating, but I do that in the morning of the day I plan to tan. At night, I get back in for a quick shower to cleanse my skin with body wash. I then dry off, apply moisturizer to the drier areas (I don't moisturize all over), and then wait about 20 minutes. Using the St. Tropez mitt (which you have to purchase separately - kind of a bummer), application is quick and easy. I *highly* suggest you wear a latex-type glove underneath the mitt! The mitt itself tends to slide around my hand as I'm applying, which sometimes causes product to get on the back side of it, which can then slide all over my hand and fingers and make a mess. Also be careful with the hand you're using to pump the product onto your mitt as the product tends to leak out a little and can stain the fingers you're pushing the pump with! Please note that the color guide with this product (which is VERY dark and VERY green tinted) will never look completely even as you're applying. As long as you've made sure to blend in evenly, don't worry about it! The more you try to blend and blend to make it look even, the more likely it is that you'll end up rubbing off some product and having an uneven result. This has a pleasant, albeit rather *strong* florally fragrance. It's not my absolute favorite but I don't hate it. I can see how it could potentially cause problems for those with sensitivities to synthetic fragrances, though. As far as DHA smell goes, I definitely do smell it the next morning. And if I don't use a scented body wash in the shower that first morning, along with a scented lotion afterward, I can still smell the DHA throughout the day. There's no hint of it by the second day.

DRY TIME: This is one of the slight negatives of this product for me. It doesn't fully dry on me. I always wait at least 10 minutes after application to get my pajamas on (I always tan at night and would never attempt this one during the day), and even a while after that when I get in bed, I still feel sticky. It's not the worst, but definitely not the best either. I always wear loose pants and a loose long sleeved shirt with this one because the sticky feeling it leaves makes me think it's going to rub off all over my sheets. (Which has happened before, and it's always washed out completely, so that's good news.)

RESULT: Again, this is where this one is a little more tricky for me. I've noticed that if I have it on for about 8 hours before showering the next morning, I won't think I look all that tan immediately after showering. But a few hours later it'll get even darker. Not sure if it's the same for everyone, but this wouldn't be one that I'd want to only wear for 7-8 hours at night and expect to be at my darkest right away by early morning. Something to keep in mind for special events. Now the best part... I *LOVE* the color this sunless tanner gives me! I'm naturally very fair skinned (MAC NC15/NARS Gobi) but I have very golden/slightly olive undertones which allow me to tan very dark in the sun. I get so golden though that sometimes even my natural tan can look a bit orange in certain lighting. This product gives me that brown/bronze glow with enough olive tones to cancel out any orange. This is one of maybe two sunless tanning products that doesn't look orange on me under *any* different type of lighting or lighting conditions. It always looks natural and it has great depth, even in direct sunlight. Once the tan has fully developed it gives me a solid medium tan which is exactly what I want. I love the fact that I only have to do one application to achieve that. And it lasts for 6-7 days before I have to reapply! It fades perfectly evenly. No cracked-looking lizard skin. It also doesn't make me itchy or irritate my skin like some others do.

So far, this is my favorite sunless tanning product. I also loved the color Fake Bake Flawless gave me (it was more of a reddish brown tan, which I also love since I don't tan like that naturally) but it gave me an itchy rash in a few areas. I should also note that after trying the St. Tropez Dark Bronzing Mousse, I thought I'd give their regular Bronzing Mousse a try, too. It gave me a horrible, painful rash (felt like a bad sunburn) on my neck, chest, and arms that took two weeks to go away. I also found it wasn't quite as bronzy/brown and on me it turned out a bit more orangey as opposed to olive. Not a fan of that one. This product is definitely pricey, but I feel the results are well worth it!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/25/2014 12:01:00 PM More reviews by olee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I was really excited to buy this product, and was unfortunately very disappointed. I was expecting a dark tan but my regular foundation matched me perfectly after the guide color washed off. The guide color is much darker than the tan you will have after it washes off but it is also very natural. If you are looking for a very (I want to emphasize very) natural tan and have the money to spend, then you will enjoy this product. However, you can find self-tanners that provide the same color (or darker, if you'd like) for much cheaper. I ended up returning the product because I was so disappointed.

If you're in the market for a self-tanner, I would keep looking!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2014 1:59:00 AM More reviews by Stephaniemgar

YES YES YES!!!! Best self tanner EVER! I LOVE love this product so much! Let me let you guys know, I am very light skin, very pale actually, I have tried many self tanners, bronzes, and tanning beds as well, and I have never been this beautifully dark as with this St. Tropez mousse. I love so many things about it, it does not make you orange, the smell is almost not even there, and you don't have to worry about freckles or skin cancer. I saw my fav YouTube beauty guru, Lauren Curtis use it and it looked so beautiful on her, her video is what I used to help me to put it on correctly, I bought the mitt as well, and I put it over night and the next morning it looks amazing, then I skip a day and shower and that following day it looks even better, you have to be careful it does dry fast so you have to be quick and you do not need to put a lot of product, it goes a long way. I really will buy this product again. It's great if you love being tan or for a special occasion the following day! I love it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/15/2014 11:05:00 PM More reviews by beckaaayyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Finally. No orange, no yellow, no "it looks passable I guess". I can honestly say I was losing hope for all self tanners. I've read so many reviews for tanners that claimed they were natural looking and whatever. I'd buy said self tan, and find out that it's just like the rest of the orange tans. My search for the perfect tanner has at last come to end. This tanner looks like my olive skin if I was tanning in the sun. It doesn't get more natural than that. Goes on with a green color guide, and washes off to a beautiful natural olive brown. I wouldn't call it darker than the normal version, it's just far more natural looking. No streaks, no patchiness. Just perfect, even color. As for the smell, it's a tastefully light floral scent that dissipates. I couldn't smell the classic "DHA" self tan smell unless I put my face up to my skin. This tanner gets an A+ as far as the product goes. The packaging leaks, I have to carefully remove the cap as to not decorate my surroundings with dark green spots. Then there's the $45 price tag... *sigh*

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2014 5:40:00 PM More reviews by cubbiejules

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Holy tanning gods!
When it says Dark, it means DARK!

I applied the formula around 7:30am and by 12:30pm I was SUPER dark! Looked like I just went tanning in a bed for weeks and weeks. As always I'm a huge fan of the mousse, it applies well and the color is perfect. To those who say the green tint throws you off...think of it this way. What color is opposite of orange on the color wheel? Blue and close to it is green (red is the exact opposite of green). They put those pigments in the formula to combat any possibility for orange to show in your color! Its there for a reason!
Definitely be careful with your application. Use the applicator mitt or a rubber glove, or be warned. You must be precise and accurate with your application, this stuff dries quick. Just take your time and I'm sure the color you get will be beautiful!
Is it worth the $44 I paid for at Ulta? Definitely NO. But the color is amazing and instead of doing two applications of the regular formula to get the same (if lighter) results of the Dark, I'm willing to pay a little more.