January 27, 2015 | 1991 users online

Self Tanners - St.Tropez - Self Tan Dark Bronzing Mousse

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2015 3:40:00 PM More reviews by hollzz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used an entire bottle of the original formula in 2013 and it applied evenly with no streaks and gave a natural brown tan. The only complaint I had about the original was that I'd need to apply two coats in the same night to get the color deep enough for my preference. I bought the dark in January 2014 thinking that I could apply only one layer of this instead of two of the original which would save time and product. My complaint about the dark is that it turns my skin an orange tan. Not as bad as some drugstore self tanners were orange but the tone isn't the same brown as the original. My skin is NC15 naturally and the Orange tint just was too unnatural. I spoke to a girl working at Ulta today about the two formulas and she agreed the dark is orangy and to stick with the original and make sure to exfoliate. Also the dark mousse comes out green so you can only apply it at night before bed or when you won't be out in public. To exfoliate the Tree Hut scrubs are nice, I tried the Brazilian Nut scent and it was nice and took down some of the orange tan.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/13/2015 4:55:00 PM More reviews by Sallyander

There are a lot of pros with this self tanner, but I'm sorry, the cons really do beat the pros!

CONS:
First thing - this has a very strong 'guide color'. When I wake up in the morning it does look very very dark but not in the most flattering way, you can defintely tell it's a bit greenish. When I'm off to take my
shower, I would say 60% of this color is gone. To me it looks like any light fake tan.

And second - this is veeeery prone to getting blotchy. When it's drying I have to be so careful not to get one single water drop on it or either it will make a little white dot. And one tip, do not go out with this without showering off the guide color! I did once and I had washed my face, and you could tell so hard that some water had run down my neck, aaaawful!

You also have to moisturize your skin AT LEAST one time a day or it will start to crack up looking all funky around your elbows, wrists and hands. This has also stained my clothes even after I've washed them, leaving it looking a little bit greeny or pink.

The PROS? I like the scent, I like how easy it is to apply and that you can really see if you have missed a spot. I like that it really does make me look extra dark, and for an evening out when the light is not so bright it is perfect. And for me this price is ok.

Would I buy this again though? No. I want something that stays dark and that isn't so easily patchy. I will keep looking for my perfect self tanner!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2015 9:23:00 AM More reviews by beachywaves

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

As I have never not been living on a beach somewhere in the Caribbean .. I have never not had a deep dark tan!

When I moved back home to Canada in Sept of 2014 my tan had since faded. While browsing Sephora the other day I came across the St Tropez Dark Bronzing Mousse and decided to give it a try to see if I could get my deep dark tan back. I bought the glove ( highly recommended ) and went on my merry way to give it a try!

I showered and exfoliated as soon as I got home and applied a light layer of moisturizer to my elbows, knees and ankles. I was so shocked when I put this stuff on! It was tinted green .... panicked and came to learn that that is normal and it is just the colour guard that washes off. The smell at first was a light floral scent, but as time went on the smell became very self tannery. I feel this tanning lotion does take some time to dry and will rub off on your clothes. I waited about 20 mins to put my clothes back on and put on an old t-shirt and leggings, went to bed and woke up the next morning to be shocked at the colour development! Jumped in the shower and was so happy to see the muddy green colour come off only to reveal a beautiful "just got back from the beach tan". Not as dark as I was hoping, but I will keep applying every few days and Im sure it will build. I didnt not find this product patchy at all! Mind you this was my biggest fear so I probably spent more time than normal making sure to rub it all in!

Now for the cons: the smell and cost. In Toronto it came to about 60$ with taxes. But, not bad if you think of how much a spray tan costs .. and you will get multiple uses from the bottle. Would definitely repurchase when I run out!

As you wash your hands more than other other body part the tan does fade very fast on your hands ... for this reason it has made the tan around my write very patchy! nothing too noticeable, and I feel when you re apply it will even it out.

Other than those 2 cons I have nothing bad to say about this product! It left my skin smooth and beautifully tanned. Only thing I woud do differently is not put this on my face! I feel like my face absorbed it too quickly which in turn made my face a little darker than the rest of my body! but nothing a little lighter foundation didnt fix. I would use their daily gradual face tanner next time!

Hope this review helped :)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2014 2:25:00 AM More reviews by clare26

I really like this self tanner. It's easy to apply and doesn't streak. I find it quite a bit darker than the original which means it needs less layers to achieve the desired colour. It's also green based so it doesn't turn out orange.
The reason why I wouldn't give it 5 stars is because it fades quickly. Once I've showered the tan becomes much lighter. If it stayed as dark as when first applied it would be perfect. This might not be an issue for you, but I like my tan quite dark.
Like most self tanners, it can come off a bit patchy, so remember to moisturize! It's not ridiculously expensive when you consider the price of a spray tan at a salon, but it's more than I'd like to pay for self tanner.
Overall, It's definitely one of the better self tanners I've used, and I've used a lot :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2014 7:42:00 PM More reviews by LilMissDani

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used the regular St. Tropez self tanning mousse for many years and LOVE it. With that said, I just tried the "Dark" formula last night for the first time and I'm blown away!

When I first applied the tanner it was a hideous green/brown shade. However, once I let it dry and set overnight I woke up to a much darker complexion, albeit it being a bit more on the orange side. Once I took a shower, I was fascinated to see that the color developed into a dark natural looking tan---the orange shade disappeared and I was left with a golden brown complexion. In comparison to the original formula, I would've had to apply it 2-3x to develop the color that I did with the darker formula. I cannot comment on how long the color lasts since I've only applied it last night, however I WILL report back in about a week, or so.

All-in-all, I'd highly recommend this....especially for someone that's looking for a dark natural tan once the green/brown solution has set and developed (8+ hours).

Pros:
-intense dark golden tan in just one use
-barely noticeable DHA ("self tanner") smell
-less product needed to achieve desired color
-easy to blend (but dries very quickly)
-tinted so it minimizes any chance of streaks or missed spots
-dries quickly and doesn't smudge/rub off skin as easily

Cons:
-pricier than original formula
-LESS product than original formula
-dries a lot quicker than original so be prepared to blend, blend, blend!
-CANNOT be applied prior to going out (like original formula)...unless you don't mind having a dark green complexion!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2014 10:05:00 AM More reviews by hlrk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Where to start!
Packaging is a cool black and blue normal pump bottle.
I apply to washed and exfoliated skin with a tanning mitt. Rubs in fairly well, easy to see the coverage as of the colour guide - appears green! This is good tho - weighs out the orange look you see on most people when it has developed.
I apply a little bit of moisturiser to hands and webbing etc - works perfectly. Not even needed unless you have dry skin.
I would not wear any light coloured clothes for a good few hours tho... It will rub onto the clothing/sheets. HOWEVER it does not smudge the tan on your body... unless you obviously rub it harshly.
DO NOT go near any water until it has developed.... its hard to fix/patch up again.
Having a shower is a must after it has set... you will have a green tinge to your skin.
A lot comes off in the shower but still gives a nice tanned effect. Pat your skin dry after every shower to increase the life of it.
Moisturise with a nourishing cream... i wouldn't recommended St Tropez moisturises as a combo with this, need to mix it up with something that you know will nourish your skin otherwise it will go flakey. yuck - one con with this!
Wears at a nice strong tan for a few days then slowly goes to a sun kissed look for about 1-1.5 weeks.
LOVE this product!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2014 11:04:00 AM More reviews by thecolek

This is my all time favourite fake tanner! I have very fair skin and finds this gives me a very dark but natural colour after two layers.
I find it is best to use this at night time and leave it to develop when you go to sleep as it is a sticky finish, also if you choose to apply a second layer don't be shocked at how blotchy and sticky it seems to go, it will NOT affect your end result; once you've showered the next morning it all washes off leaving you with a smooth flawless finish, no streaks and no blotches!
There is a small fake tan odour when it is developing but I find it disappears straight away when washed off and don't suggest going out while it is developing anyway.
My flawless tan will last up to five days but unfortunately it will begin to come off a little patch if you don't treat your skin right, I suggest exfoliate every other day and make sure you scrub hard! also moisturise after every shower as the tan will cling to any dry skin.

If you keep your skins upkeep going, don't mind the sticky few hours of developing and want a natural but still very dark tan then I suggest this! I live and die by st tropez and their dark range is the best yet. Don't let the bad reviews steer you away I think some of the issues are just down to lack of maintenance on keeping your tan healthy!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2014 1:18:00 PM More reviews by GrRoxxy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I selftan since 2 months. So far I absolutely love Xen Tan Dark Lotion.

Positives: mousse, super easy and fast to apply with mitt, dries very fast, not orange nor yellow, smells pleasant and after some hours the smell is only noticeable very close to the skin
Negatives: it's not as dark as the Xen Tan dark, after 4-5 days you can notice the patches, when drying it leaves whiter creases where your skin folds (wrists, ankles etc.)

The application is a dream, so quick, easy, dries so fast but the patchiness never happened to me and it is not very attractive. It is not cheap either.

Overall I prefer Xen Tan Dark lotion, although a bit trickier to apply it fades beautifully and gives deeper colour BUT I often dont feel like spending longer time applying and then being careful not to touch anything lol, so I do use them interchangeably.

I will repurchase but if I ever find the mousse which does same without patchiness then I will definitely not think twice about switching.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2014 1:50:00 PM More reviews by Kerri8d

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The color is very natural, the smell is good, but it is not as dark as the spray . And really want a organic one, without lots of chemicals. Therefore, it could be darker. But it last ok long. But the problem is, when some of it is gone, and you want to exfoliate the rest, and make a new layer. Its really hard to get of.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2014 5:31:00 AM More reviews by carolynbennett

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my HG DAYTIME fake tan! This will not give you a 'I just spent 5 days in the Bahamas' dark tan, unless you are already quite dark to begin with. This is a very green based natural looking fake tan. I wear this for day events where I want to look tan, but flawless in natural daylight, such as festivals. I use Bondi Sands foam in dark for clubbing and night time events as it's super dark, and therefore doesn't look too natural in daylight. If you are after a nice, green based natural looking tan this is for you!