August 30, 2014 | 1610 users online

Treatments (Face) - Paula's Choice - Skin Perfecting 1% BHA Lotion Exfoliant (2012 formula with cucumber)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2014 1:28:00 AM More reviews by MES

I purchased several products from Paul's Choice Skin Recovery line. While I think the majority of products from that line aren't special and have drug store equivalents that are as good if not better, the 1% BHA lotion stands out. I have dry to combination skin that is sensitive, and prone to both eczema and acne. I've had to learn to just live with the acne as most products irritate my skin. I can't use benzoyl peroxide at all, and salicylic tends to be hit or miss. Sometimes I do fine with salicylic acid and other times I don't. I like that this is a creamy lotion, which may help buffer the salicylic acid. I also like that this in a lower concentration that a lot of over the counter salicylic acid products. The scent leaves something to be desired, it does have a weird cucumber smell, and a bit of a faint chemical smell. I would repurchase this as there is no other product like it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by Eire1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I HAD THE SAMPLE AND I THINK THIS WAS REFORMULATED.
I found this to be good for dry skin but it is not overly moisturizing I think it would especially help someone with dry skin and acne. Mine oddly had an underwhelming rose scent which is okay because I like rose fragrances. I did not find the smell irritating.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2014 3:53:00 PM More reviews by katwalker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

It's hard for me to rate this product because it seems my skin does not want exfoliants, at least regularly. Using this or even a mild AHA once a week leaves my skin irritated. I know it's not bad products, though; it's my sensitive skin. I have rosacea, eczema, and seborrheic dermatitis, so BHA is supposed to be better for me than AHA. I use this for exfoliation only when my skin is getting flakey. Any more often and my skin gets irritated. So, my dilemma of how to assess the product. I'm giving a four because I wish I could use more often, but I think it's a good product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2013 1:34:00 AM More reviews by Xxkonixx

This lotion has reduced my pimples dramatically.............although my face is still not clear but i can see huge improvement with this...pimples are not as big and red and heals faster....people are telling me that my face is looking better...... i'm suprised that so many people have problems with the smells...it's just cucumber and it disappeared after a short while.....let's say i've put things on my face that smells 20 times worst than this which didn't give any improvement at all at the end....i guess it's just depends on how desperate you are...........

UPDATE: Took off one lippie because after finishing one bottle, my face has turned really sensitive with more bumps and swollen angry cystic acne and itchiness........i duno whether it's due to weather change or other reasons......I had to stop and it has been three weeks without it and my face is much better.....a cosmetician from shoppers told me my skin might be too thin for this kinda acid exfoliation or i just somehow become allergic to bha......

rated 2 of 5 on 8/2/2013 8:54:00 PM More reviews by GGSISTER

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

WHAT IS UP WITH THIS SMELL??? Lord I can't stand myself. No wonder it work's on acne it's afraid of the smell

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2013 10:55:00 AM More reviews by joyelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had used the original formula (non-cucumber) BHA 1%Lotion for approximately a year and absolutely loved it. It had smoothed and brightened my skin and didn't cause my normal-slightly dry mild rosacea skin any irritation at all. Unfortunately PC decided to change the formula and add some form of cucumber in it. It has a runny white lotion-like texture that instantly absorbs into your skin easily. But, it reeks of pungent cucumber. One week after using it (and changing nothing else), my skin looked as if I had the worst sunburn. It was red, itchy, and so sensitive. If you have sensitive skin I would not recommend this product at all. PC always touts her products as fragrance free and when I wrote them about adding the cucumber, they said it's not fragrance, it's simply the scent of the natural cucumber ingredient. That may be true but the bottom line is that if you're sensitive to fragrances in facial skin products, this is NOT for you. I tried the 1% Gel (too drying) and the 2% Lotion seems a bit strong for me. PC please go back to the original formula!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/21/2013 7:06:00 PM More reviews by qingdao

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I had horrendous eczema flair up and after a month it is still not vanishing. The drying ingredient in it is the reason. I wouldn't recommend to apply on dry areas. I will never touch it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2013 12:41:00 AM More reviews by glamgirl31

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

After using this product for a month I feel I can give an honest opinion. I have dry combination skin (drier at certain times, oilier at others). I chose the lotion formula because of the nature of my skin. I went with the 1% because I don't have acne, just some clogged and visible pores I would like to reduce.

First off, I want to explain the 4 out of 5 lippies. When I first used this, I thought it smelled horrible. I didn't know if I was going to be able to have it on my face. My husband didn't think it smelled bad, so I figured if I could stand the smell and make it through the night and I wasn't offending the person closest to me (literally) I went ahead and used it. The scent did dissipate, and, by morning, was gone. Interestingly, as I've continued to use it, the smell has become MUCH less offensive. Either it has calmed down since I opened it or I've gotten used to it. Either way, it doesn't bother me at all and I'm able to use this twice daily.

Scent aside, this product works well. I haven't noticed a dramatic difference in my pores but my skin does look brighter and healthier. I haven't had any new breakouts either. As far as preventing breakouts, the only problems I have are hormonal and I don't think much can change that (besides BC pills). I will continue to use this up but I think I'll try the 2% lotion formula next time. I've read that BHA can take up to 12 weeks to really show improvement, so I'll keep using this patiently and see.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2013 6:01:00 PM More reviews by miyae

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using the Skin Perfecting 1% BHA Lotion Exfoliant together with the Skin Perfecting 8% AHA Gel Exfoliant for a month now and I couldn't be happier. My acne prone skin has really cleared up -- I rarely ever get new pimples nowadays. I also think that my acne scarring has been reduced, or maybe it's just that my skin is not as red as it once was.

As a few other people have said the 1% BHA Lotion Exfoliant doesn't smell too good though, and since I live in Sweden all Paula's Choice products are a bit pricey (it's the shipping that's expensive). But I will still keep buying this product until my skin doesn't need it anymore.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2013 10:27:00 AM More reviews by Misirlou1982

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Because of my sensitive skin, I have to use very mild skin cleansers. Until last year, my skin didn't ask a lot, just some mild soap in t morning and the evening and it looked great. But since i'm not a twenty something anymore(hehe :)) i noticed my skin needed a little bit more. Because I developed rosacea, my skin became a lot more oilier, and i got more blackheads and pimples. So that's why i started searching for a product that was a bit stronger, to get rid of all the 'dirt', but still mild enough so it wouldn't aggravate my rosacea. So I first ordered a few samples of the BHA 1% lotion. I was a bit afraid to try it at first, but it didn't sting or cause any irritation. So now i've been using it for a few monts now and I must say my skin looks much better now. I have less blackheads and when I do get a pimple it's cured much faster. I also don't have those dry patches i mostly develop in winter time anymore. First I used it every 2-3 days, and now I use it every day in the evening. You can use it twice a day if necessary, but I think this will be a bit too much for my sensitive skin. I've also noticed that after i've cleansed my face, it can be a little bit red, but when I put this on it seems to calm down the redness. You also need a tiny bit of this, and it sinks in very fast. Like a lot of people, I don't like the smell, but it's vanished after a few minutes, so that's not a big issue for me. So yes, I will keep buying this product :)