October 2, 2014 | 917 users online

Treatments (Face) - Paula's Choice - Skin Perfecting 1% BHA Lotion Exfoliant (2012 formula with cucumber)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2014 8:42:00 AM More reviews by imminentfate

Ooh, I'm starting to love this! I have lots of clogged pores on my forehead and cheeks. And mild-moderate inflamed pimples on my cheeks. I'm a week into using this product, and my clogged pores and pimples are clearing TREMENDOUSLY! I cannot believe how clear my skin looks. It's only been a week in so my skin is far from perfect, but it's definitely an improvement. I have had NO LARGE INFLAMED PIMPLES and for someone who had at least one inflamed pimple on a cheek at any given point of time, that is AMAZING!

For full disclosure, I've also been taking 30mg Now Foods L-Optizinc with Copper for my inflamed pimples, and I suspect that played a part in the reduction of the inflamed pimples... However, the rapid drop in the number of pimples only started with the use of the BHA. Two days ago, I had a baby pimple forming. I doubled-up on the BHA that night (just put a lot more than usual) and in the morning it was GONE! Omg!! Also, my clogged pores on my forehead (where there is no inflamed acne) started improving as well. And as an extra bonus, I had one cyst from a month ago that was no longer inflamed but still had gunk in it, so it was a red PIH bump on the skin. This product flattened the bump in TWO DAYS! So I'm 100% sure that it's this product which is making a difference. For reference, I use it every morning, after my Hada Labo SHA lotion, before applying moisturizer and sunscreen. And also every other evening (alternating with tretinoin 0.025%).

Will update if necessary, but I suspect nothing bad will happen. This product is literally amazing o m f g!!!!!!!! I'm going to try ordering BHAs at a stronger strength to see if that helps my skin even more!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2014 3:52:00 AM More reviews by KateRR

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using this product for about 3 weeks since ordering a sample and I am over the moon with the results. I have been struggling with hormonal acne (mostly on my chin) for the past few years since coming off the pill and have tried many, many products - skincare and makeup - to try and get back flawless skin. Within just a few days this had already cleared the five blemishes I had on my chin and since then no more have appeared and I have just been through that time of the month. Wow! I have tried salicylic acid as a spot treatment before, i.e. Clean & Clear as and when pimple appears, but without success. The trick with this appears to be that it is preventative and you keep it on, i.e. unlike cleansers that wash off. I have extremely sensitive skin and seem to break out with absolutely anything plus have skin allergies to certain plastics and metals, but so far so good with this.

I know I need to use SPF with this AHA but am loathe to use a moisturiser as they always break me out so I've been using a BB cream instead with an SPF 25 (Boots 17 BB cream - not a brand I'd normally go for but it's had amazing reviews and doesn't break me out). I have also just moved to a mineral based liquid foundation (Young Blood). Mineral powders cause my dry skin to get itchy and red, but the liquid one seems fine. I previously used Estee Lauder Double Wear Light foundation and stay-in-place concealer but when I spilled some on my sink and had to really scrub to get it off, it made me think about how much it must be suffocating my skin! I have some samples of PC moisturisers with SPF which I might try (when I'm brave enough) to see if I can tolerate them.

My main concern now is trying to get rid of the red hyperpigmentation marks from old acne. I have just started using a 10% AHA to help with this (only once a week as my skin finds anymore than that too much) and it seems to be helping.

Fingers crossed the good results continue. I will update if any change.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2014 1:28:00 AM More reviews by MES

I purchased several products from Paul's Choice Skin Recovery line. While I think the majority of products from that line aren't special and have drug store equivalents that are as good if not better, the 1% BHA lotion stands out. I have dry to combination skin that is sensitive, and prone to both eczema and acne. I've had to learn to just live with the acne as most products irritate my skin. I can't use benzoyl peroxide at all, and salicylic tends to be hit or miss. Sometimes I do fine with salicylic acid and other times I don't. I like that this is a creamy lotion, which may help buffer the salicylic acid. I also like that this in a lower concentration that a lot of over the counter salicylic acid products. The scent leaves something to be desired, it does have a weird cucumber smell, and a bit of a faint chemical smell. I would repurchase this as there is no other product like it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2014 2:08:00 PM More reviews by Eire1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I HAD THE SAMPLE AND I THINK THIS WAS REFORMULATED.
I found this to be good for dry skin but it is not overly moisturizing I think it would especially help someone with dry skin and acne. Mine oddly had an underwhelming rose scent which is okay because I like rose fragrances. I did not find the smell irritating.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2014 3:53:00 PM More reviews by katwalker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

It's hard for me to rate this product because it seems my skin does not want exfoliants, at least regularly. Using this or even a mild AHA once a week leaves my skin irritated. I know it's not bad products, though; it's my sensitive skin. I have rosacea, eczema, and seborrheic dermatitis, so BHA is supposed to be better for me than AHA. I use this for exfoliation only when my skin is getting flakey. Any more often and my skin gets irritated. So, my dilemma of how to assess the product. I'm giving a four because I wish I could use more often, but I think it's a good product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2013 1:34:00 AM More reviews by Xxkonixx

This lotion has reduced my pimples dramatically.............although my face is still not clear but i can see huge improvement with this...pimples are not as big and red and heals faster....people are telling me that my face is looking better...... i'm suprised that so many people have problems with the smells...it's just cucumber and it disappeared after a short while.....let's say i've put things on my face that smells 20 times worst than this which didn't give any improvement at all at the end....i guess it's just depends on how desperate you are...........

UPDATE: Took off one lippie because after finishing one bottle, my face has turned really sensitive with more bumps and swollen angry cystic acne and itchiness........i duno whether it's due to weather change or other reasons......I had to stop and it has been three weeks without it and my face is much better.....a cosmetician from shoppers told me my skin might be too thin for this kinda acid exfoliation or i just somehow become allergic to bha......

rated 2 of 5 on 8/2/2013 8:54:00 PM More reviews by GGSISTER

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

WHAT IS UP WITH THIS SMELL??? Lord I can't stand myself. No wonder it work's on acne it's afraid of the smell

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2013 10:55:00 AM More reviews by joyelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had used the original formula (non-cucumber) BHA 1%Lotion for approximately a year and absolutely loved it. It had smoothed and brightened my skin and didn't cause my normal-slightly dry mild rosacea skin any irritation at all. Unfortunately PC decided to change the formula and add some form of cucumber in it. It has a runny white lotion-like texture that instantly absorbs into your skin easily. But, it reeks of pungent cucumber. One week after using it (and changing nothing else), my skin looked as if I had the worst sunburn. It was red, itchy, and so sensitive. If you have sensitive skin I would not recommend this product at all. PC always touts her products as fragrance free and when I wrote them about adding the cucumber, they said it's not fragrance, it's simply the scent of the natural cucumber ingredient. That may be true but the bottom line is that if you're sensitive to fragrances in facial skin products, this is NOT for you. I tried the 1% Gel (too drying) and the 2% Lotion seems a bit strong for me. PC please go back to the original formula!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/21/2013 7:06:00 PM More reviews by qingdao

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I had horrendous eczema flair up and after a month it is still not vanishing. The drying ingredient in it is the reason. I wouldn't recommend to apply on dry areas. I will never touch it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2013 12:41:00 AM More reviews by glamgirl31

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

After using this product for a month I feel I can give an honest opinion. I have dry combination skin (drier at certain times, oilier at others). I chose the lotion formula because of the nature of my skin. I went with the 1% because I don't have acne, just some clogged and visible pores I would like to reduce.

First off, I want to explain the 4 out of 5 lippies. When I first used this, I thought it smelled horrible. I didn't know if I was going to be able to have it on my face. My husband didn't think it smelled bad, so I figured if I could stand the smell and make it through the night and I wasn't offending the person closest to me (literally) I went ahead and used it. The scent did dissipate, and, by morning, was gone. Interestingly, as I've continued to use it, the smell has become MUCH less offensive. Either it has calmed down since I opened it or I've gotten used to it. Either way, it doesn't bother me at all and I'm able to use this twice daily.

Scent aside, this product works well. I haven't noticed a dramatic difference in my pores but my skin does look brighter and healthier. I haven't had any new breakouts either. As far as preventing breakouts, the only problems I have are hormonal and I don't think much can change that (besides BC pills). I will continue to use this up but I think I'll try the 2% lotion formula next time. I've read that BHA can take up to 12 weeks to really show improvement, so I'll keep using this patiently and see.