Ion Color Brilliance Brights

4.1

on 3/22/2015 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I've used this twice so far, over natural dark blonde hair. I did not bleach first. The first time I used rose alone, and got a gorgeous rose-gold salmon color that looked very classy and got tons of compliments. The second time I mixed one tube of ross with one tube of fushia and my hair turned out a bright pink. The rose faded out within a couple weeks, the fushia is taking a bit longer (it's been a month and my roots are still a bit pink-tinged).

- use two boxes if you have long hair (mine is bsl)
- leave it on as long as possible (I left it a couple hours each time)

I am uploading pictures too for reference. Good luck!

A while ago I decided to dye the under part of my hair orange to go for a black and orange Halloween kinda look. I usually use manic panic but they never have orange in Sally's and I didn't have time to order it. I tried this and I was pretty impressed. It came out very orange over bleached and very faded pink hair. It didn't seem to fade at all for the first few days even with me being outside at a big event and swimming for a week and washing my hair daily. After a week it faded so quick. Idk what it was as I didn't change my shampoo or anything, but it was gone soon after. So yes, it's very pigmented and seems to be easy to apply. However it faded fast and Def had a chemical smell to it. It also fried my hair more than other semi permanent colors usually do. I would buy this again if I wanted this exact color again, but other than that I will stick to Manic Panic for abnormal colors.

on 2/27/2015 1:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This was my first time trying Ion color. I picked 'Sky Blue.' It is Very dark! And blends nicely with my dark brown hair...i bleached n dyed the ends. It has not faded at all. I dyed it over a super faded Atomic Turquoise by Manic Panic. I love it!

Pros:
No fading
True to color
Price

Cons:
Metal tube
Perfume smell

on 2/23/2015 7:28:00 PM

in November I decided to dye my hair purple. the lady at Sally's recommended this brand so I bought about six boxes in the darker purple colour(my hair is super thick and back then it was almost to my belly button). I lightened my hair to around a level 7 or 8. squeezed the dye into a container and had my mom slather the dye onto my head. I kept it on for about 2 and a half hours. I was a little disappointed that my hair turned out super dark but it did look exactly like the swatch so it wasn't the dye it was just me buying the wrong colour of dye.

pros

•VERY pigmented
•long lasting
•the colour was true to the swatch in the store
• it had a pretty floral smell. kinda like violets but after a while it was a little overpowering
•this is the only semi permanent that hasn't stained my skin

cons

•the dye was thicker than toothpaste. although I noticed some of the tubes had a different formula in them and the consistency was much better so I think ion is fixing this problem.
•when the dye faded my hair was brown. I don't know if this was user error but my hair is stained brown now and I have to bleach it again.
•the dye didn't stick to the healthier hair near my scalp so I had blonde roots

would I buy this again? maybe. it's overall a good dye but not my first choice.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

It is ok I guess, I like Loreal Hi-colour and Matrix 6rv burgundy better. I used this to touch up my roots to match the rest of my hair.

Although it does give you the color you are trying to achieve, it comes out very uneven and you have to buy multiple bottles of it (I'm not talking 2, more like 3 to 4 depending on how thick your hair is). Since it is uneven it fades unevenly as well. After spending that much on multiple bottles I would just go to a salon and get an even and accurate color.
Also, the smell gets too you after awhile, even after it's shampooed out. It's a sweet chemical smell that smacks you in the face every time your hair swings in your face.

on 1/15/2015 2:45:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Okay it did give me the lavender but it did come out uneven. I'm giving it a 4 since I can't do a 3.5
The consistency is gloop dry thick. Even toothpaste is creamier. Well I diluted 1/4 in conditioner since I wanted a pastel not the full effect. I did get into a creamy color and a good consistency just had to mix alot. After I applied and used both a brush and my fingers it's doesn't stain which I love but after 30-40 mins my results were so so. I'm gonna have to give my hair 2 more go around with this to get what I want which I don't mind and I'm only using the one tube. I had white blond hair.

on 1/1/2015 10:59:00 PM

I've been using the Ion Colour Brilliance in Aqua and Teal for a while now. Been using either tube to maintain a streak in my bangs for a couple of months, and this morning I combined the remainder of each tube and did my whole head with it. I didn't bleach my hair prior to dying, so the colour went over light strawberry blonde strands, which surely darkened the colour from whatever it would be over platinum blonde. Either way, the colour it achieved was brilliant. : ) In past usage, Aqua has faded out into a pretty light robin's egg blue, while the teal faded more into a nice greeny-turquoise shade.

I'm by no means a professional hair colourist; I don't treat coloured hair any differently than virgin hair, and I shampoo (with warm-hot water) each day. With the streaks, I would normally get a day or so of bright hair, where it would then plateau at a slightly-faded shade for a month or so, before ducking into the more obviously-faded colour, where it seemed to just stay forever. This worked fine for me, as I was just dying over with the same colour, however I can see how it could be a nuisance to other dyers.

Many users have complained of how thick this dye is, and the difficulty attached to getting it out of the tubes. I use my barehands to apply dye, which means the tube didn't hinder me too much, although it certainly is easier just dipping your fingers in pots of dye like Manic Panic has. The consistency was a little annoying; when mixing the dyes this morning, I added in a few squirts of conditioner, which seems to be what other users did too.

Overall, I'd say this is a great product if you're a bit of a lazy hair maintainer like me. The colours are initially beautiful, and any hassle you have applying it will be worth the payoff. Just keep in mind this dye lasts longer than your run of the mill semi-perm. :)

on 11/9/2014 7:17:00 PM

I've used the red, magenta, and sky blue in this brand. I loved the results i got with the magenta and red. I don't think I' bleached my hair out enough for the sky blue. I always go back to buying the red dye. I keep it in overnight or just 4-5 hours and the color is so vibrant! I have used this dye over dirty hair. Dye came out beautiful. I've used it over hair that was conditioned 3-4 days ago. No complaints. Came out nicely. The more you dye over the already dyed hair the brighter the color comes outs. All in all, way cheaper than manic panic and much better results. Doesn't stain horribly either. Love this dye. Always get compliments on how great my hair looks! Doesn't dry my hair out or make it brittle. I will continue to buy this dye.

on 11/9/2014 12:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I absolutely love this dye, its my favorite semi-permanent. I currently have teal and magenta sitting in my hair waiting to be washed out, and I KNOW its going to turn out amazing. This formula is very thick, but you should not dilute it with conditioner unless you want a lighter shade. It will be true to the color swatch if you deal with the thicker formula, if you apply to you roots in small strokes with a dye-brush, comb thru to roots and then massage into the ends, it,will come out amazingly pigmented. Your hair also cannot be a 9 or 10 platinum, it needs to be a 6-7. If you have platinum hair and you throw one of these on your hair its going to come out in a lighter color, pink instead of red, ect. Dont condition hair before you dye, shampoo only or it wont stick well. Let it sit for at least an hour,its a vegetable based dye so its not harmful to leave on for a long time. When you wash it the first time do it until the water runs clear. And if you want your color to really stay, you need to use a protein filler right after you wash it, using a protein filler helps close your bleached hair's cuticle trapping the dye inside. It works wonders and its only like $3 at sally's beauty supply. I have absolutely no complaints about this brand of dye, it smells good, true to color, not difficult to handle if you have a steady hand and its only $5! I will continue buying this brand for sure.