July 29, 2014 | 1900 users online

Polishes - Essie - Lapis Of Luxury

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2014 12:43:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

When will I ever learn that Essie and I just don't get along! I'd only tried 3 other polishes before buying Lapis of Luxury and all 3 were disappointing - thin, watery, pooled at my cuticles (because of how thin they are). I was hoping Lapis of Luxury would be different. I was wrong.

For starters, the polish I have looks nothing like that pictured above, nor does it look like lapis lazuli - it's much more purple - closer to the colour of lavender or lilacs. But I do like the colour. I tend to use more "traditional" nail polish colours (pinks, berries, reds, very dark burgundies and browned reds) and til now, my only "wacky" shade has been OPI's Yodel Me On My Cell (a teal blue/green shade, which I pretty much reserved for my toes). But LofL appealed to me. I've put it on my fingers (because I'm not ready to redo my toes yet) and while I really like the colour, it took 3 coats even to approach opacity. And despite this having a thin texture, it seems to take ages to dry. As much as I like the colour, I think I'll look for something similar in OPI or Zoya, since I generally tend to have better results with those brands (which isn't to say they don't have clinkers too, but generally, I find them to give better colour with fewer coats).

UPDATE: Okay, I'm eating a bit of humble pie here. While I still find the polish watery during the application process, I have to say that I'm more than a little surprised by how well this polish is wearing. It's day 3 for me (or maybe day 4) and while I'm being a bit careful (wearing gloves to wash dishes most of the time and for cleaning the sink, etc.), I'm still surprised that I've had neither chipping nor tip wear. So I might just give a few more Essie polishes a try! Oh and it irks me that I found this today at Target for FOUR DOLLARS less than I paid on Saturday at Shopper's Drug Mart. GRRRR.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2013 8:36:00 AM More reviews by Wifeandmama

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Lovely blue, periwinkle-ish color. Applies easily, wears well (several days) with a base and top, and is opaque in two coats. If you can catch it on sale, even better, because who doesn't like to save a buck or two? I use this most on my toes in summer, it's just cute.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2013 2:59:00 AM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Amazing blue color, love it. Looks great on toes, perfect for summer.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/6/2013 10:37:00 PM More reviews by trillium13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a very pretty color, and unique in my large-ish stash. As pictured, it's a periwinkle cream. The cream finish is such that it's almost just slightly jelly-like to me. I'm not sure if it's my bottle, but mine goes on a bit streaky and require 3 coats to be opaque. It levels itself out pretty well, and it really is lovely. I took off a lipp for the brush-I sort of hate Essie brushes, they're too small. All in all it's very pretty and I don't really mind the extra coat.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2013 1:24:00 PM More reviews by angelene1985

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love this, it's such a pretty color, it's the perfect summer light blue with just a touch of lavender to it. For me it's definately a spring and summer shade, looking forward to wearing it again! It needs to coats, but stays a good week.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2013 9:02:00 PM More reviews by anpage

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a pale blue that, if putting on more than one coat, can then be intensified into a striking blue on the nails. Perfect for Spring and Summer. Does not go on streaky. I will say that I probably wouldn't buy again because the color, over the months when wearing it, just didn't "wow" me.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2012 12:46:00 PM More reviews by Mj2012

LOVE THIS ITS THE BEST COLOR EVER. just a little pricey for a broke college girl :/

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2012 1:54:00 PM More reviews by bhakes

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This polish applied smoothly and evenly, and I only needed two coats to get full coverage. The wear was fantastic - after a week I was ready to try another color, but other than a little gap around the cuticle, there was no tip wear or chips! It's a very intense periwinkle color and I got a lot of compliments on it. Definitely a good shade for cool toned skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2012 5:16:00 PM More reviews by kinamorata

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this colour on my toes rather than on my fingers. It's a pretty blue for the summer when I wear sandals. I really like the finish on it and it lasts for at least two weeks!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2012 10:51:00 PM More reviews by hello2belle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

One of my favorite polishes. It is a very gorgeous color.

On the surface it is a blue with purple undertones. It's like a lilac mixed with a little more blue.

I feel really elegant when I wear it. It's a very classy color that will nab you tons of compliments. Whenever I wear this people always notice!

Totally worth the $8.

Btw you might also love liliacism.