September 18, 2014 | 1603 users online

Sunscreen - Nivea - Sun Protect Water Gel

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2013 3:24:00 AM More reviews by Jaded81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This review is for the Nivea Sun Protect Water Gel SPF33PA+++

I love the texture of this product - lightweight, non-greasy, no white cast, lightly hydrating and disappears into skin. However, I am taking off 1 lippie because it only contains chemical sunscreens (I prefer physical filters or a mix of physical/chemical) and provides incomplete protection against the sun (protects agains UVB & UVA2 Rays, but not UVA1 Rays).

Actives: Octinoxate, Uvinul T 150 & Uvinul A Plus.

Others: Water, Alcohol, Propylene Glycol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Dimethicone, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethyhexyl triazone, diethylamino hydroxybenzoyl hexyl benzoate, sodium hyaluoronate, phellodendron amurense bark extract, pyrus cydonia seed extract, tocopheryl acetate, acrylates/C10-30 acrylate crosspolymer, carbomer, ceteth-10, sodium hydroxide, methyparaben

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2013 8:48:00 AM More reviews by therubyprincess

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

PLEASE NOTE - this review is for the Nivea Sun Protect Super Water Gel SPF 50 PA+++ (white bottle with the silver cap).

Ingredient List for the SPF50 PA+++ version of the product:

UPDATE: 7/5/13: Super duper love this. I have 3 in my back-stock.

UPDATE 5/28/13: Still love this product! The good news is that it is now available on rakuten.com and that means I can pay closer to a reasonable price than eBay's inflated pricing. On rakuten, the per-piece item is about $7USD, and the shipping for two of these is $18. Yes, it's high BUT the total price per piece works out to $16 per bottle, as compared to $26 on eBay and that, IMO, is reasonable for a spectacular facial ss.

Original Review: Okay, I absolutely love this sunscreen. I'm two months in and it is (and I don't say this often) a complete HG product. It is the first sunscreen I have been able to use that does not break me out in any way, shape or form -- no clogs, blackheads, cysts, bumps, odd textures, nada. It is much like a lotion, goes on feeling like a moisturizer, very soothing. It takes about 5 minutes to set but I can spare that time for good protection. After those 5 minutes, there is a definite "tightness" likely due to the alcohol component however within 15 minutes of that you are left feeling velvety soft, smooth and hydrated. No additional moisturizer or primer needed IME. If you are okay with a slight wait to move on with your makeup (and if you don't wear cosmetics this would be a non-issue) give this a go. I have had NO luck with sunscreens in the past and feel lucky to be using anything for sun protection. It's PPD is midrange but for me, mid with religious use is far better than high with sporadic usage due to constant breakouts. Oh and in terms of finish it is definitely not super-matte. It's got a bit of a shine but it's more of the freshly washed face look than a greasy ss look. It just feels so good on my face.

Since I've been using this my PIH has decreased and my overall complexion looks fantastic. I have backups on hand I like it so well.

The rub? The only place I can buy this is UGH-Bay (e bay). It's $26 for 80 ML which isn't terrible for ss but what is painful is knowing in JAPAN the cost is about $8.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2012 7:34:00 AM More reviews by dawndie23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Finally! A sunscreen that protects my face and leaves NO WHITE RESIDE!!!

This sunscreen is a SPF 30 watergel formula that applies very easily and immediately absorbs into the skin with no residue. It doesn't change my foundation color and it appies very smoothly. I've had no adverse reaction using this product.

You can get it in a squeeze bottle or a pump application. You only need a pea-sized amount to get the protection you need.

I gave this a 3 rating for price simply because you cannot buy this product at a store in the U.S.A. It's Japan based and you have to purchase it online through Amazon or Ebay but the cost is steep.

I am very, very fortunate to have a relative who lives in Japan and sends me all kinds of goodies that have been fantastic for my skin and lots of fun make-up items too. I would however, still pay the Amazon/Ebay price for this sunscreen since it works so wonderfully on my skin.

I haven't tried it out at the beach yet.....since I was specifically looking for something to wear under my make-up (I don't wear make-up with SPF), I'll probably use my normal sunscreen for waterplay.

This is definately worth the effort and money, especially for women of color who often have to deal with the strange white/grey cast left from other sun protectors.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No