E.L.F. Studio Mascara Primer

Aqua (Water), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Styrene/Acrylates/Ammonium Methacrylate Copolymer, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Synthetic Beeswax, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Ozokerite, PVP, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Triacontanyl PVP, Panthenol, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Hydrolized Soy Protein

on 9/23/2015 8:26:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Awesome!! Came in my elf subscription box. This stuff helps hold a curl & gives the illusion of length by coating lashes. It is white initially yes but it dries which takes a bit yes but it's then takes on the appearance of clear. I do use elf mascara on occasion but normally I use Estée Lauder sumptuous mascara as of lately coz it was in a Macy's EL GWP w the elf waterproofing top coat which also is amazing & was in my previous elf sub box in July. Combining this primer, a good mascara & the elf top coat I have a really great lash routine. It takes about 3-4 minutes total time to go do but ur mascara will look so good. It's not too wet neither but it does look like a small container not sure how long it's gonna last but I would repurchase. I've never used much in the way of lash primers except a long time ago there was a DS mascara (don't remember brand I think loreal) that was dual ended w primer I don't remember being too wowed but this stuff is so good. <$5!! The key is to have an already good-decent mascara imho it doesn't improve s--t mascaras.

on 8/13/2015 12:09:00 AM

I was quite disappointed with this mascara primer, I have used it a couple of times and didn't notice any visible difference with my lashes. I also found it strange how the actual product is white and it makes your lashes white upon application.

The tube itself looks quite nice and the wand is very easy to use (high points for packaging) but unfortunately the 'primer' aspect did nothing for me and feel like it was a waste of money even though it was under $10.

That's why I give it 2/5 and won't be buying this again. Not my favourite E.L.F product at all.

on 8/8/2015 2:27:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This is fantastic! I absolutely notice a difference in my lashes when I use this before applying my mascara. I makes them more full, the mascara I put on top doesn't clump as much, and it helps keep my lashes conditioned. It's only $3.00 so you cannot beat that! I love this product and will repurchase when I run out.

on 7/21/2015 5:48:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I got this in hopes it would help my actual mascara look extra dark and dramatic. I have naturally STRAIGHT lashes that I have to curl, curl, curl and hold up with waterproof mascara. When I put this primer on, it instantly took the curl out of my lashes and made them wet and droopy.
Not ideal for someone with straight lashes.

on 7/18/2015 5:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

Tried this out of curiosity and it's really cheap which is always good. Read a lot of complaints about how little product the brush seemed to put on lashes. I solved that with a zig zag motion while brushing it on to deposit more product on lashes and brushing both top and bottom of lashes. While applying it noticed it didn't clump or look like white goop all over my lashes. I put this as a reference for people and I consider it neither good nor bad about the product.

My impression is that this product eliminates the need of an extra coat. So with my favorite mascaras if I use 2-3 coats usually with the primer I need 1-2 coats. For example I first tried this with Cover Girl Remarkable Professional Washable Waterproof mascara. I like that product but I have to really layer it with three coats for it to get volume I want. With the e.l.f. mascara primer I needed two coats at the most. It helped the curl keep longer too. With the new Cover Girl Supersizer one coat gives me the look that I would need two coats for without it. Best of all with the Supersizer and primer I can put two coats of the Supersizer on for a more dramatic look. There is no putting on three coats for me with the Supersizer. It clumps like crazy and the third coat is combed out anyway with my metal mascara comb. And yes it did seem to help this mascara hold the curl longer too. As for primer helping my mascara stay on longer I can't say. I never had a problem with either Cover Girl Remarkable Professional or Supersizer not staying on my lashes all day. That's why I use them!

As a test I bought a lengthening mascara to see if it could help it in volume. I bought Maybelline Stiletto waterproof. In itself the mascara is nothing special with not much volume. With the primer it helped to get more volume so that my lashes did pop more. It didn't make the mascara spectacular but it did make it acceptable. Frankly though you can get a better effect by putting your favorite volumizing mascara on top of your favorite lengthening mascara.

Packaging of this primer makes me angry. I get that e.l.f. wants to keep the price low but they did it by giving us less than 2/3 the amount of a regular full mascara tube AND they hid that by putting a LONG handle on the brush. Cheap trick, e.l.f!

UPDATE: Beware! When this product gets low in the tube and dry up like all mascaras products inevitably do it actually makes your current mascara worse! It'll make the application clumpy like heck. Considering how little product e.l.f. gives this mascara primer will dry out very fast. Don't bother with this.

on 6/7/2015 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

This primer did next to nothing for me. I barely see any product on my lashes and I don't see any difference in my mascara. For me, the better ELF product is the Studio Lash Extending Mascara, worn in conjunction with a more volumizing mascara.

on 1/12/2015 4:07:00 AM

This primer is worth the money and more.

This is an everyday staple for me. If you have a trouble taming your lashes with tools and brushes, you absolutely need this primer.

What it does: Keep mascara in place and prevents smudging. Curls your lashes perfectly, adds volume and length. Goes on clear with no clumps and separates lashes. It's a steal at $3 US.

What it doesn't do: Keeps the mascara on your lashes for the entire day. Lightweight. Allow you to wear it alone.

on 10/19/2014 4:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is decent eyelash primer. It makes my lashes thicker, which is much needed. Unfortunately it doesn't help with length or it would be a holy-grail product. It doesn't seem to adversely impact how long my mascara lasts. And the price is reasonable. I'll continue to purchase.

on 10/18/2014 3:58:00 PM

This lash primer is MEH. It has a thin, watery consistency which does not apply nicely at all. Adds no volume or drama, doesn't build up my lashes. Two lippies instead of just one because it does keep mascara in place and prevents it from smudging. But it's just such a wimpy product, and I hate the way my lashes look when I use this.
My favorite lash primer is Lancome's Cils Booster XL, but it's pricey and I'm always on the lookout for a cheaper alternative. The best inexpensive one that I've found is Hard Candy's 1,000 Lashes- I'd recommend it a million times over this E.L.F. primer.
Was extremely disappointed by this, wouldn't buy again.