October 24, 2014 | 1744 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Take a Deep Breath Oil Free Energizing Gel Cream Moisturizer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2014 11:41:00 PM More reviews by Saspants

I think there are 2 versions of this gel moisturizer, one with SPF and one without. I am using the whipped gel without SPF that comes in a jar versus a tube.

I had been experiencing some hormonal breakouts that were exasperated by dry, wind burnt skin that caused my skin to over-produce oil in compensation and made the cystic breakout stay inflamed. It seemed like I would never get it all under control and even my favorite products were failing me with this issue. I took to puncturing Alleve gel caps and smearing them on the cysts which helped tremendously with the inflammation and Visine helped with the redness but the cysts would not dry out and my skin was so oily.

Finally in desperation I purchased a gentle cleanser for acne prone skin but first washed my face with Philosophy Purity Made Simple with my Clairsonic, to remove all traces of makeup. After using the acne cleanser I would wait about 20 minutes and then apply Take a Deep Breath gel moisturizer. It hydrated my skin without any greasiness and kept my skin hydrated for 10-12 hours. The acne cleanser dried out the cysts and this moisturizer kept my face nicely hydrated and balanced. I have continued to use it as my summer moisturizer, it is light in texture and my skin drinks it in and stays plumped and hydrated.

I have stayed away from the other version due to the chemical SPF and how my skin reacts to anything but mineral sunblock. If not for this weird sensitivity I would totally use it and eliminate the need for using a separate SPF. Those reviewers that complained of breaking out might want to try the non-SPF version, they may have developed the same type of sensitivity to chemical sunblock that I developed over time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2014 5:28:00 PM More reviews by hollyms

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've bought this two or three times now. I rotate between this and HIAJ but prefer this one. This clears up my acne, feels great going on, and soaks right in. Absolutely HG

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2014 12:38:00 AM More reviews by lovelydana

EDIT: I took off one lippy. Started breaking out with clogged pores and small zits after a week or two of use. Such a shame! I really wanted to like this. Oh well. The search for the perfect moisturizer continues!

I think I've finally found my HG moisturizer! I have combo skin and I'm extremely prone to acne breakouts, even with noncomedogenic products. I bought a sample of this on eBay after a friend recommended it to me. It's a light blue-colored gel with a tiny bit of shimmer (which I LOVE in moisturizers). I used a pea-sized amount for my whole face and was in love the second I put it on. It absorbs super quickly and dries to a fairly matte finish. The one bad thing I noticed is that about 5 minutes after applying, I had a bit of dryness on my cheeks and forehead. But after applying another layer to those areas, it was all good. When midday comes around, I don't even have to blot like usual. And after 4 days of use, I've actually noticed that my skin is clearing up! Overall, this would definitely not work well for someone with dry skin, but for those on the oilier side, it's great. Definitely a perfect summer moisturizer (they even have a version of this with SPF 30)! Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2013 8:34:00 PM More reviews by JessieValentine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product is made for acne-prone skin and that is what originally sold me when i first saw it. I am a huge fan of gel moisturizers because i find that it absorbs into my skin more easily and doesn't just stay on the top layer but also penetrates deep down to really hydrate. I am very impressed and satisfied with the results so far because i have not had any major breakouts and I have not experienced any dryness or flaking especially since it is winter time now.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/7/2013 7:31:00 PM More reviews by emvie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I recently started using Retin-A at night so I needed a moisturizer with sunscreen in it. I bought the version of this with SPF from Ulta. I like the way it feels and the consistency. I have oily skin but this product wasn't hydrating enough so I usually put Rosehip and Jojoba oils on my face first. As much as I really reallllllyyyy want to like this product (I chose it because of online reviews and that it is paraben-free), EVERY time I wear it, my eyes sting and water! No matter how far away I place it from my eyes, and even when I don't use oils underneath, it happens every time. No other product has ever done this to me and I usually rub sunscreen on my eyelids! Tearing up during the day is very annoying :(. If it wasn't for it making my eyes tear up, I would definitely be happy with this product, it leaves my skin with a really nice texture and doesn't clog my pores/break me out. I don't know if it's the SPF in this product or just the ingredients in general that make my eyes water, but my quest for the perfect SPF moisturizer continues!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2013 8:31:00 AM More reviews by jaimelyn80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a great moisturizer for anyone with naturally oily skin. I hate that there are some negative reviews here due to the fact that it is not moisturizing enough...IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE, so don't fault it for not doing something it doesn't claim to do. If you have combination to oily skin, this is the perfect facial moisturizer. It never feels heavy or greasy. I would also recommend it for anyone who uses a heavy moisturizer in winter months, but wants something lighter in the summer. It's very similar to Clinique's Moisture Surge...maybe a little thicker.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/20/2013 11:41:00 AM More reviews by Starlajean12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I love gel moisturizers. Usually I stick with clinique skin care but occasionally I will branch out... okay philosophy is as far as I've gotten ha! This product is awesome, it's light enough to wear during the day, unlike clinique's moisture surge. I really want to like moisture surge but it's too much for daytime and not enough for at night in my opinion. This rocks. I keep seeing where others complain about glitter... I don't even see it, it's never made me shiny or glittery. Never broke me out. I believe it is oil free, and fragrance free. Both pluses for sensitive skin types. I will continue to use it for as long as they make it!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2013 9:23:00 PM More reviews by projectRun

I received this product in a deluxe sample size. I do not hate this product but it wasn't for me. I have relatively dry skin and require a hydrating moisturizer. However while using this product, my skin felt dry and tight. The fact I would use my daily press powder to set my foundation did not help my dry skin became after using this product. I used it for a week while waiting for my new moisturizer and I did not like it during that time. Nonetheless the product has certain perks to it such as the scent is not overwhelming nor did it break me or my sister out. It just wasn't for me. Perhaps an individual with a normal to oily skin will come to love this product more.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2013 10:28:00 PM More reviews by GigiMakeupStudio

I don't know why this product has been getting so much hate. I find it to be a perfectly wonderful product. Personally, I love philosophy products anyway. It's a gel moisturizer so it has a bit of a sticky consistency when applied to the face. That could be a good or bad thing. I like this for the winter b/c primers can dry out my skin but b/c this is sticky, it holds on to the makeup very well, leaving very little need for a primer. It does not have SPF in it, which is something I can live with. But when I first tried the sample, it felt like I was literally putting a layer of velvet on my skin, so I ran to the store the next day & purchased a whole jar. I love it, but there are other moisturizers that can do the same for half the price. But if you're looking to splurge, then go for it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/17/2013 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Jennifckerrr

Great for combination/oily skin in the summer. I feel pretty refreshed after applying this at night.
It absorbs into my skin right away and leaves my skin super smooth after.
I didn't notice any other differences on my face.
I may purchase this again to use next summer, but I don't recommend this if you are looking for changes like wrinkle control.
It's just a great moisturizer for summer season because it is so lightweight and still get the job done.