November 23, 2014 | 961 users online

Styling Products - Kevin Murphy - Hair Resort SPRAY (not cream)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2013 10:06:00 PM More reviews by theslyestfox

I've been using this product for a couple of years, and it's great! Let me tell you why...

My hair is somewhere between straight and wavy...I have to try to make it straight (blow-drying etc) and I have to really try to make it wavy, which is what I want. My hair is pretty thin...it looks like I have a lot of it but if I put it in a bun it looks like the smallest bun ever, if you know what I mean.
ANYWAY, I've used both this and the gel, and the gel would be better for hair that is thicker and more naturally curly/wavy than mine. With mine I find it can weigh by hair down a bit, so I prefer the spray!
Here's how I do my hair after the shower:
- Apply volumizing mousse to the roots
- Blow-dry roots upside down for volume, while avoiding drying the rest of my hair
- Take spray bottle filled with normal water and spray hair with water to re-dampen. I seperate my hair into right and left sections, lift the section up and while i let it slowly drop I spray the water into it so a fine mist slightly dampens most of the hair (for greatest spray coverage).
-I then repeat this spray technique (let hair slowly fall while spraying) while spraying the Kevin Murphy Beach Texturizer into the hair.
- Scrunch hair up from the roots to greater distribute product into hair and encourage curl. For this I will put my palms at the tip of the hair, move my hand upwards while gathering the hair in my palm and then once near the scalp I rub my fingers against my palm with the hair between them...if that makes sense. Basically creating friction between the hair/my hands/fingers while scrunching upwards.
- Spray and scrunch more water into hair if needed.

Then throughout the day if my waves start to fall out a little I will just re-scrunch my hair with wet hands to reactivate the product/curls. If you can re-spray that is best, but you can also just use the water left over from washing your hands and scrunch it into the hair to re-curl.

I've used this product to give wave and definition to friends' naturally straight hair with good success as well. If you buy it and it doesn't work for you, maybe you are trying it on dryer hair, so give my method above a whirl and see if it works for you too!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/5/2013 12:32:00 PM More reviews by scjohnson

Seriously?? This is just a glorified hairspray. I have naturally wavy hair, and thought this would give my hair a boost after sleeping on my hair. I also tried letting my hair air dry mostly straight, and then spraying this in - what a bust. Either way, it feels crispy, and doesn't do anything to improve the texture of my hair. Will definitely not purchase again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2013 12:43:00 AM More reviews by rlg88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I recently had my usually very long hair cut into a longer bob and the stylist used this product after curling the ends and then getting me to shake my hair to seperate the curls for a modern, messy look! I loved it at the time but didn't think i would be able to recreate the look at home, however i purchased the product and have not been dissapointed. As well as holding the curls in for a long period of time it gives you hair a slightly rough texture which make it super easy to style. Smells like coconuts too which isn't a bad thing. As i purchased this spray from a salon i'm sure they put a significant mark up on the price but i would be happy to pay $30 again for it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2012 7:58:00 AM More reviews by 1017

UPDATE: I much prefer my L'Anza Beach Spray to both KM Hair Resort products. Out of the spray & the gel/cream Hair Resorts, I much prefer the spray. But the spray still lacks the hold of the L'Anza.

ORIGINAL POST: So I finally found this in a local salon. Only to walk in and discover there is a Hair Resort Spray and one in a cream/gel squeeze container. Hmmm...which one was MUA buzzing about. I asked the SA at the salon and she said all the stylists were buzzing about the spray. So that is what I purchased. Then I get back to MUA only to realize they are buzzing about the cream! Now I want to try that too. Oh well...

The smell is a lovely citrus/coconut smell. The spray goes on much drier & a bit finer than my L'Anza Beach Spray (on dry hair). I am not sure Hair Resort has the hold my L'Anza Beach Spray has, but it feels nicer going into dry hair. The KM stuff is $25 but you get more fl oz. than the Beach Spray that is $21. However, the L'Anza Beach Spray is much easier to find (sold at Ulta) than the Kevin Murphy. Check their website for a salon near you. I like the KM Hair Resort, but I just don't know if I like it more than what I have. I again, will update once I have road tested it more.

FYI - I have very, very fine wavy/curly hair