Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector for Face SPF 42 PA+++

3.9

OCTINOXATE 7.4% Sunscreen OCTOCRYLENE 3.0% Sunscreen ZINC OXIDE 8.6% Sunscreen WATER • DIMETHICONE • ISODODECANE • SD ALpCOHOL 40-B • DIPROPYLENE GLYCOL • ETHYLHEXYL PALMITATE • GLYCERIN • POLYMETHYLSILSESQUIOXANE • VINYL DIMETHICONE/METHICONE SILSESQUIOXANE CROSSPOLYMER • POLYBUTYLENE GLYCOL/PPG-9/1 COPOLYMER • DIMETHICONE/VINYL DIMETHICONE CROSSPOLYMER • XYLITOL • METHYL METHACRYLATE CROSSPOLYMER • THIOTAURINE • SCUTELLARIA BAICALENSIS ROOT EXTRACT • PAEONIA ALBIFLORA ROOT EXTRACT • ONONIS SPINOSA ROOT EXTRACT • ECTOIN • LAURYL PEG-9 POLYDIMETHYLSILOXYETHYL DIMETHICONE • TRIETHOXYCAPRYLYLSILANE • BUTYLENE GLYCOL • DISODIUM EDTA • DISTEARDIMONIUM HECTORITE • BHT • SYZYGIUM JAMBOS LEAF EXTRACT • TOCOPHEROL • PHENOXYETHANOL • BENZOIC ACID • FRAGRANCE • MICA • TITANIUM DIOXIDE •

on 7/7/2015 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm pretty sure I had an allergic reaction to this product -- I'm not sure what caused it, but I would guess the fragrance. This product has a very strong powdery-floral fragrance, which I do not think belongs in a sunscreen (or any face product, really!), and as soon as I applied it, my face started to itch and burn, terribly. I washed it off immediately, popped a Benadryl, and spent the rest of the afternoon on the couch. I wouldn't describe my skin as sensitive at all, but apparently it really disagrees with perfumed products! I am returning this product to Sephora today. I'm having a devil of a time finding a good sunscreen for face, this is my third fail in four tries! :(

$32 at Sephora for 1 oz in a small plastic bottle with a screw-off cap.

on 4/29/2015 12:34:00 PM

My favorite sunscreen for many years was the Clarins UV Plus HP. The only downside to that one is that it offers no oil control. So I decided to give this Shiseido one to try since it is FINALLY available in Canada.

Like the Clarins, this sunscreen isn't greasy, doesn't dry up my skin or clog pores, and is good for sensitive skin. The formula is a very thin liquid and it doesn't have that typical sunscreen smell. It does have a little bit of a white cast when you apply it but goes away when you rub it in. It has silicones in it and it dries down completely matte so it works well as a base. It also dries pretty quickly. It does have better oil control compared to the Clarins one - I would be a complete greaseball after 8 hours with the Clarins, but with this Shiseido I can go pretty much all day. I have had sunscreens irritate the skin around my eyes in the past but this one does not do that.

The packaging is nice and small so its perfect for purses and travel. This costs 35$ CAD which at first glance is cheaper than the Clarins one (42$) however you only get 30 ml vs 50 ml so it is actually more expensive. I will probably try some other sunscreens from the Shiseido line but I would recommend and repurchase this particular one.

on 4/16/2015 12:39:00 AM

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

I adore this one. It's lightweight, liquid, easy to spread on, doesn't leave a white cast, it's not greasy, it's perfect primer and keeps my shine at bay for very long time, does not break me out, packaging is very practical. Would buy it again (if I run into it, because it seems that in Europe it's impossible to find).

on 4/12/2015 6:06:00 PM

I normally try to avoid wearing sunscreen even though I know it's important because I find sunscreen either breaks me out because it's too heavy (especially during the hot weather months when Im sweating etc) but also because I find most sunscreen makes my combination- oily t zone super oily and I feel gross out when my skin becomes oily and shiny. I have tried Clarins Day Screen Protection and it's pretty good. I have also tried Shesido older sunscreens in the light blue packaging ( It clogged my pores). I have been using this sunscreen under my Maybelline Matte & Poreless foundation and it's a great combination!

I finally found a sunscreen that is:
- lightweight
- does not break me out (I have very sensitive skin that prone to irritation and redness)
- non greasy
- good oil control/matifying
- does not leave a white cast/film on the face
- gives a smooth finish when applying foundation on top
- I wear it everyday (I no longer use a face primer)..as it acts as a sunscreen AND a makeup base (I don't need to layer so many products on my face).
- you have to get a sample and give this a try at your nearest sephora!
- packaging is good- does not create a mess.

CONS:
- lesser products than their sunscreen in the light blue bottle

on 9/2/2014 12:18:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

BIORE MAKES A BETTER PRODUCT. I bought this after doing a lot of research on here + Sephora, and finally bought it. Disappointment. Biore's Face Milk is a much better version of this. This is basically a thin, liquid sunscreen. Compared to the Biore, this is harder to blend b/c of it's high water content (more rubbing), and is less mattifying. Biore's product has a chock full of silicones, which has made it my one and only HG product I've found so far. Already returned it.

on 8/19/2014 12:13:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

So sad because I really wanted to like this product. I am very sensitive and acne prone and when I tried to product in Nordstroms yesterday it felt good on my skin, but this morning when I put it on it burned some. Not a good sign! Several hours later and my oily skin feels really tight and dry because of the alcohol content. There certainly are nice things about this product and I might recommend it for people who don't have sensitive skin. My skin is very matte, which it usually isn't around this time of day, and it could be used in lieu of primer since it has so many cones. The drying factor is bad. It will lead to fine line/wrinkles and ain't nobody got time for that.

on 6/15/2014 2:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I love the brand, and love their Sun Protection Liquid Foundation (haven't tried the new formula though) but I did not love this product. If you are just looking for sunscreen I'm sure it's great, but I purchased this based on the promise of oil control, which it did not provide for me at all. My foundation applied well over it but did not last and broke up after a couple hours. Would be great for normal skin-it's lightweight, matte finish...

on 6/11/2014 7:59:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This sunscreen is great for oily skin but full of alcohol... Matte powdery finish, no greasy finish at all. It leaves a bit of a white cast but it's ok with makeup on. Consistency is very watery so a bit difficult to know how much you put on, i mean 1/4 teaspoon of this is definitely not enough. Not sure i will repurchase as it is quite expensive for a tiny tube that shouldn't last you more than 3 weeks if you apply a good quantity.

on 5/5/2014 9:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Great sunscreen, but its so expensive!! 1 oz. for $30, I was even kind of hesitant to try it. Hate that I would have to shell out thirty dollars every time I run out. It absorbs so well into the skin and gives a semi-matte finish. No white cast, greasiness, or heavy feeling. Before I was using the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen which gives good protection for a reasonable priced SS, but it just made my combo skin feel so heavy and congested. Really hope this lasts me quite a while due to the price, but to anyone looking for a good sunscreen, don't hesitate to try this one!

on 2/20/2014 9:25:00 AM

Although this is a phenomenal-feeling sunscreen (goes on silky and lightweight, not greasy at all, matte finish, high SPF, reminds me of my former HG Anessa Perfect UV SPF50) I will not be purchasing this.

It pains me to read an ingredients list for such a great-feeling product and find that the third ingredient is alcohol. There is also a lot of fragrance in this product which does nothing for skin. I gave up trying to find a decent matte-finish sunscreen after all the Japanese ones that I had tried, including this one, had so much alcohol in them. I have no doubt that the formulation would be stickier and less matte if the alcohol was removed, but I can't justify applying so much alcohol to my face with its potential skin-damaging and aging effects over time. I wear sunscreen to protect my skin but the benefits of sun protection may be outweighed by the damage caused over time by the alcohol.

I also saw that the PA rating has been removed from the packaging which I have, which is very strange. I suffer from melasma and need high UVA protection to prevent more dark spots from occurring. I do remember seeing a PA rating several months ago on the same sunscreen packaging so this makes me think that this sunscreen has been reformulated with a very low level of UVA protection. Sadly not something I will ever buy again, which is a shame as I love a lot of Shiseido products.

Top Rated Shiseido Products