July 24, 2014 | 1609 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector for Face SPF 42 PA+++

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2014 2:07:00 PM More reviews by sailorj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love the brand, and love their Sun Protection Liquid Foundation (haven't tried the new formula though) but I did not love this product. If you are just looking for sunscreen I'm sure it's great, but I purchased this based on the promise of oil control, which it did not provide for me at all. My foundation applied well over it but did not last and broke up after a couple hours. Would be great for normal skin-it's lightweight, matte finish...

rated 4 of 5 on 6/11/2014 7:59:00 AM More reviews by laquiche

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This sunscreen is great for oily skin but full of alcohol... Matte powdery finish, no greasy finish at all. It leaves a bit of a white cast but it's ok with makeup on. Consistency is very watery so a bit difficult to know how much you put on, i mean 1/4 teaspoon of this is definitely not enough. Not sure i will repurchase as it is quite expensive for a tiny tube that shouldn't last you more than 3 weeks if you apply a good quantity.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2014 9:11:00 PM More reviews by az1999

Great sunscreen, but its so expensive!! 1 oz. for $30, I was even kind of hesitant to try it. Hate that I would have to shell out thirty dollars every time I run out. It absorbs so well into the skin and gives a semi-matte finish. No white cast, greasiness, or heavy feeling. Before I was using the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen which gives good protection for a reasonable priced SS, but it just made my combo skin feel so heavy and congested. Really hope this lasts me quite a while due to the price, but to anyone looking for a good sunscreen, don't hesitate to try this one!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2014 9:25:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

Although this is a phenomenal-feeling sunscreen (goes on silky and lightweight, not greasy at all, matte finish, high SPF, reminds me of my former HG Anessa Perfect UV SPF50) I will not be purchasing this.

It pains me to read an ingredients list for such a great-feeling product and find that the third ingredient is alcohol. There is also a lot of fragrance in this product which does nothing for skin. I gave up trying to find a decent matte-finish sunscreen after all the Japanese ones that I had tried, including this one, had so much alcohol in them. I have no doubt that the formulation would be stickier and less matte if the alcohol was removed, but I can't justify applying so much alcohol to my face with its potential skin-damaging and aging effects over time. I wear sunscreen to protect my skin but the benefits of sun protection may be outweighed by the damage caused over time by the alcohol.

I also saw that the PA rating has been removed from the packaging which I have, which is very strange. I suffer from melasma and need high UVA protection to prevent more dark spots from occurring. I do remember seeing a PA rating several months ago on the same sunscreen packaging so this makes me think that this sunscreen has been reformulated with a very low level of UVA protection. Sadly not something I will ever buy again, which is a shame as I love a lot of Shiseido products.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2014 5:37:00 PM More reviews by bluestar21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I never thought I would love a sunscreen, but I LOVE this. I find myself applying this every day in the winter, even when I stay indoors. The most unique thing about this is the consistancy. It's like water. It goes on smooth and absorbs amazingly fast. Perhaps a slight white cast? but it actually works almost like a primer. My skin doesn't get shiny at all from this. The bottle is small and sleek. The only downside is that it is so tiny (just 1 oz!) and retails for $30. I got mine at TJ Maxx for less than half that price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 11:01:00 PM More reviews by BeagleLab

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

So far I really like this stuff. I have been using it for about a week now. My wonderful Christian Dior was reformulated and it is now horrible, very oily and not matte like it used to be. I was on the search for a new sunscreen and I checked out the reviews on this one. I will update in a month, but so far it is awesome. It wears great over my moisturizer and does not really give a white cast. So far, so good.
UPDATE: 2 weeks later. i love this stuff. It makes the pores seem smaller, skin smoother and protects. Thank you MUA for your reviews and thank you Shiseido for making such a terrific product. Thank God, no clogged pores, it works. Too bad Dior ruined their wonderful sunscreen. I will never go back.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2013 11:41:00 PM More reviews by Cactus_Pear

The BEST! This is a physical not chemical broad spectrum sunblock, active ingredients are titanium and zinc oxide. Supposedly physical ss are better as they don't oxidize and release free radicals into your skin as chemical sunscreens such as avobenzene are notorious for

I have tried many similar facial sunscreens. I tried Japan's #1 best selling milky liquid face sunscreen, the biore whitening one, all were disappointing compared to shisedio's.

It is liquidy, dries to a dry matte finish, and has VERY MINIMAL "whitish cast" which I despise in physical sunscreens but seems to be avoidable with the higher SPFs. this product has a very light and pleasant scent. Not really a fan of the oblong packaging. The container has a small nozzle tip that is easy to use.

It is pricey. One bottle lasts me on average 4-5 months. So it is worth it to me. A definite must in my skin care regimen.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2013 2:52:00 AM More reviews by Maybaa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

By far the best sunscreen I've ever used. This sunscreen helps my face get less oily during the day and doesn't make my face look pale or white which a lot of other sunscreens make me look. This sunscreen also makes a great primer. I hate how expensive it is but honestly worth it so I will keep buying it

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2013 2:49:00 PM More reviews by ting2

I love this product! This is my HG sunscreen. It goes on smooth and dries nicely to a matte finish. This also has great oil control and does not clog my face. I reapply throughout the day as needed and does not leave me with white cast.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2013 3:53:00 AM More reviews by anny6587

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I know that it says for face only, but I was wondering if I can use it on arms and necks etc? If I'm spending $30 I'd rather but one.