April 17, 2014 | 1015 users online

Sunscreen - Shiseido - Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector for Face SPF 42 PA+++

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2014 9:25:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

Although this is a phenomenal-feeling sunscreen (goes on silky and lightweight, not greasy at all, matte finish, high SPF, reminds me of my former HG Anessa Perfect UV SPF50) I will not be purchasing this.

It pains me to read an ingredients list for such a great-feeling product and find that the third ingredient is alcohol. There is also a lot of fragrance in this product which does nothing for skin. I gave up trying to find a decent matte-finish sunscreen after all the Japanese ones that I had tried, including this one, had so much alcohol in them. I have no doubt that the formulation would be stickier and less matte if the alcohol was removed, but I can't justify applying so much alcohol to my face with its potential skin-damaging and aging effects over time. I wear sunscreen to protect my skin but the benefits of sun protection may be outweighed by the damage caused over time by the alcohol.

I also saw that the PA rating has been removed from the packaging which I have, which is very strange. I suffer from melasma and need high UVA protection to prevent more dark spots from occurring. I do remember seeing a PA rating several months ago on the same sunscreen packaging so this makes me think that this sunscreen has been reformulated with a very low level of UVA protection. Sadly not something I will ever buy again, which is a shame as I love a lot of Shiseido products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2014 5:37:00 PM More reviews by bluestar21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I never thought I would love a sunscreen, but I LOVE this. I find myself applying this every day in the winter, even when I stay indoors. The most unique thing about this is the consistancy. It's like water. It goes on smooth and absorbs amazingly fast. Perhaps a slight white cast? but it actually works almost like a primer. My skin doesn't get shiny at all from this. The bottle is small and sleek. The only downside is that it is so tiny (just 1 oz!) and retails for $30. I got mine at TJ Maxx for less than half that price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 11:01:00 PM More reviews by BeagleLab

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

So far I really like this stuff. I have been using it for about a week now. My wonderful Christian Dior was reformulated and it is now horrible, very oily and not matte like it used to be. I was on the search for a new sunscreen and I checked out the reviews on this one. I will update in a month, but so far it is awesome. It wears great over my moisturizer and does not really give a white cast. So far, so good.
UPDATE: 2 weeks later. i love this stuff. It makes the pores seem smaller, skin smoother and protects. Thank you MUA for your reviews and thank you Shiseido for making such a terrific product. Thank God, no clogged pores, it works. Too bad Dior ruined their wonderful sunscreen. I will never go back.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2013 11:41:00 PM More reviews by Cactus_Pear

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The BEST! This is a physical not chemical broad spectrum sunblock, active ingredients are titanium and zinc oxide. Supposedly physical ss are better as they don't oxidize and release free radicals into your skin as chemical sunscreens such as avobenzene are notorious for

I have tried many similar facial sunscreens. I tried Japan's #1 best selling milky liquid face sunscreen, the biore whitening one, all were disappointing compared to shisedio's.

It is liquidy, dries to a dry matte finish, and has VERY MINIMAL "whitish cast" which I despise in physical sunscreens but seems to be avoidable with the higher SPFs. this product has a very light and pleasant scent. Not really a fan of the oblong packaging. The container has a small nozzle tip that is easy to use.

It is pricey. One bottle lasts me on average 4-5 months. So it is worth it to me. A definite must in my skin care regimen.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2013 2:52:00 AM More reviews by Maybaa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

By far the best sunscreen I've ever used. This sunscreen helps my face get less oily during the day and doesn't make my face look pale or white which a lot of other sunscreens make me look. This sunscreen also makes a great primer. I hate how expensive it is but honestly worth it so I will keep buying it

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2013 2:49:00 PM More reviews by ting2

I love this product! This is my HG sunscreen. It goes on smooth and dries nicely to a matte finish. This also has great oil control and does not clog my face. I reapply throughout the day as needed and does not leave me with white cast.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2013 3:53:00 AM More reviews by anny6587

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I know that it says for face only, but I was wondering if I can use it on arms and necks etc? If I'm spending $30 I'd rather but one.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2013 5:56:00 PM More reviews by bgfp9898

Love love love this sunblock. I use it everyday under makeup. It has a non oily finish which is so important for summer time. I would even dare to say this sunblock mattifies my skin after moisturizer. It's just an amazing product. Light and fragrance free. Took it with me to the Caribbean and it kept my face matte and makeup in place. A small bottle like this lasts for about 3 months with daily application. This is my HG sunscreen!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2013 3:16:00 AM More reviews by Daisy1966

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This review is for Urban Environment Tinted UV Protector in Shade #3. I read reviews on the Sephora web site before purchasing this. I was looking for something lightweight and sheer but with a glow of some kind. I had been using Perfekt Skin Perfecting Gel in Radiant and while I do like it a lot it was lacking in the healthy glow aspect and the shade needed deepening with a darker powder (BM Faux Tan) to suit my slightly tanned face.
Upon using the Shieseido the first time I was so impressed by the luminosity and brighteining aspect of this foundation/tinted creme. It sets to a non sticky finish and doesn't need powder. It isn't silicone based like Perfekt is, and gives a more natural, clean, dewey glow. It transforms your skin from blah to yah. Really amazing product. I will be using this from now on. The price is cheaper than the Perfect ($60.00), Shiesdo ($30.00).
This comes in three shades. The darkest shade really isn't that dark. It is a forgiving color and can be used on a variety of skin tones. I add a little dusting of Laura Mercier Loose Mineral powder in Rich Vanilla just because I love that powder and I am used to setting everything a little bit even if it isn't nessessary. I top that with Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer and Bobbie Brown Pale Pink blush mixed with Tartes Natural Beauty blush (strawberry/red). The result is perfection. LOVE

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by Redbone21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Update 1/25/14
Yes baby I am still using this sunscreen! Just bought my 3rd bottle the other day. Slight white cast but definitly does it's job. On my good or bad skin days I swear by this stuff any time of the year. Protect your skin people, no matter your tone or race

I have oily acne prone skin. I know the sun can age you so I've used sunscreen everyday since 18. I used to use Neutrogena sunscreens but they would make me sooo greasy. So I decided to try this and loved it. Slight fragrance but nothing too strong. This is surely oil-free because it dries matte. However i dont find it to stay matte all day unless im wearing powder. It also has a white cast which does fade within an hour or 2 but for that i just make sure i bronze if im going to work or something. Overall, this is the best sunscreen I've used. Protects my skin, can get oily after 5+ hours but not greasy like the ones from the drugstore I've tried. I use this all year round and its amazing