September 18, 2014 | 2051 users online

Moisturizers - Aesop - Sage & Zinc Facial Hydrating Cream SPF 15

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2014 12:04:00 AM More reviews by sallyekong

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Almost 90% of my beauty products are Aesop, so I was really hoping this would work for me, as I wear sunscreen rain, hail or shine.

My everyday sunscreen was discontinued, so I asked Aesop for a few sample sachets, thinking that I'd most likely make the switch.

Unfortunately, it wasn't the case. Nothing is really wrong with it - you get the signature Aesop elements that I love, such as a fabulous botanical aroma and high quality, non-animal derived ingredients. However, I find it's a bit too heavy for everyday use. I have combination skin (dry cheeks and an oily t-zone) and I found it left my skin quite greasy to the touch. I need my daily moisturiser to be matte.

One other thing I don't like about it is the packaging - although I think aesthetically, the metal tube that it comes in looks great, I'd prefer plastic since I throw things in my bag. I have the same issue with their hand creams. None of the tubes have cracked thus far, but I am careful not to bend them.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2014 1:55:00 AM More reviews by RenaeVee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I tried some samples of this and loved the consistency and texture when applying to my skin. It is one of the best facial moisturizers I have found that A) Doesn't use nasty chemical ingredients and sunscreens and B) Doesn't feel oily. I love the Aesop brand and what they stand for - botanical and natural ingredients.

I finally bought it after about a month of deliberating. I love it. It absorbs well, however when I touch my face I can feel that it is on, probably the sunscreen part that leaves a thin and light residue. Despite this, it does not look oily or feel sticky. It gives me peace of mind about UV protection while nourishing my skin. It is perfect under makeup, does not affect my makeup routine at all.

Only drawback is that it is expensive ($40 for 40ml tube - $1 per ml) - but it makes me happy to wear it so it's worth it!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2013 6:48:00 PM More reviews by One1Cherry

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have combination skin with dry cheeks. I got this because of the high zinc oxide content (17%). Very good sun protection. It feels very greasy, doesn't sink into the skin quickly and tend to remain greasy looking. The herbal smell is very strong and kind of got to me after some time of using this. I don't smell it after I've applied it though.

After a few weeks of using this, my skin started breaking out. I stopped using this and it's fine. Then i decided to try again and sure enough, after using it once i got 2 zits :( I'll be using this on my neck instead and won't be repurchasing. I rarely breakout and this made me breakout! This product is extremely irritating and also way too greasy for my humid climate.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2012 9:31:00 AM More reviews by lovezz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my HG. I have very oily skin and it is very difficult for me to find day moisturizer which has SPF. I live in Singapore and cos of its hot and humid weather, most sunscreens will cause my face to become really oily after an hour. However, you can't live without sunscreen in Singapore cos there is so much sun all year round! Therefore, this amazing sage and zinc hydrating cream is like a dream come true!!!!! My face can actually stay matte for more than half a day, which is already a miracle in itself! Also, the cream is hydrating as well. I am already into my second bottle. Even though it is pricey, it is definitely worth every cent.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2012 7:38:00 AM More reviews by leea

A lightweight daily SPF for the face that blends in seamlessly. Doesn't leave the skin feeling greasy or looking ghostly white. Once it's blended in, it's undetectable. You can neither see nor feel it sitting on the skin. I find it mattifying rather than 'hydrating' on my combination skin. In the drier months, I mix it with a regular moisturiser to give it more slip. Since it's so lightweight, you can reapply throughout the day without it building up to a greasy mess.

I've tried sunscreens from Japanese brands like Shiseido and Mentholatum Acnes. These were lightweight and blended easily but they left an oily film on top of the skin. They also contain UV absorbers (as most Asian sunscreens do). UV absorbers aka chemical sunscreens are sunscreen agents that are unstable and form free radicals upon UV exposure. They are less effective sunscreens that are frequently added to cosmetics because they don't leave an obvious white cast the way physical sunscreens like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide do. Currently, zinc oxide is the gold standard for broad spectrum UV protection.

I have also tried more natural sunscreens made in a base of essential oils like Wotnot (similar to California Baby and Badger Balm), as well as "industrial strength" waterproof sunscreens like Invisible Zinc. These are great for use on the body. However, none of these were suitable for daily application on the face. Natural sunscreens are too greasy and shiny because of their oil content, while Invisible Zinc leaves a white cast and proves extremely difficult to remove. If you are going to be outdoors or in the water for an extended period of time, then Invisible Zinc is the gold standard. But for daily use, it is simply too much.

In comparison to these sunscreens, Aesop is the perfect SPF for daily use on the face. It doesn't contain UV absorbers - its only active sunscreen ingredient is zinc oxide. It is non-greasy and incredibly lightweight.

As for the packaging, I love the apothecary design of the tube but noticed that the cap gets clogged with product which makes it difficult to screw back on. I will definitely repurchase this, but in the jar form because the jar turns out to be more economical, albeit less travel-friendly.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/22/2012 9:13:00 AM More reviews by janjarang

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

PROs: I like this day cream for its reasonable SPF, non-greasy look after the application, affordable price (not cheap but not expensive as most heavily advertized brands), and lovely smell. It sinks into your skin quite quickly and makes it convenient to apply makeup shortly afterward. Generally a good day cream for me.

CONs: Mine comes in a glass jar so it's very unpractical/not so hygienic to use (I haven't found the tube version in France yet). Also, my dry skin needs more moisturizing power from this cream - to solve this problem, I've been using it together with Aesop serum (but I would rather prefer an all-in-one day moisturizer). Buy it again? Probably.