Revlon ColorStay Whipped Creme Makeup

3.9

Dimethicone, Isodecyl Neopentanoate, Water, Isododecane, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, C13-16 Isoparaffin, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol Crosspolymer, Boron Nitride, Dimethicone/Bis-Isobutyl PPG-20 Crosspolymer, C10-13 Isoparaffin, Glycerin, Salicylic Acid, Tocopherol, Lactobacillus/Eriodictyon Californicum Ferment Extract, Cymbidium Grandiflorum (Orchid) Flower Extract, Lilium Candidum Bulb Extract, Malva Sylvestris (Mallow) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate, Silk Powder, Alumina, Polyisobutene, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Dimethicone/Silsesquioxane Copolymer, Cyclodextrin, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Silica, Methicone, Sodium Chloride, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Propylene Carbonate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Silica Silylate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol --- MAY CONTAIN (CI 77019/Mica, CI 77891/Titanium Dioxide, CI 77491/CI 77492/CI 77499/Iron Oxide, CI 77947/Zinc Oxide)

on 3/22/2015 2:30:00 PM

After years of using sunscreen mixed with foundation, a few years ago (when reaching 35) I had to switch to a medium-full coverage foundation, able to cover hyperpigmentation, with a good staying power but light enough to look like skin.

I read and watched lots of good reviews on both the Colorstay Liquid Foundation and Whipped Cream, being the latter the one I bought as I prefer cream/ mousse textures.

I was pleasantly surprised by the consistency, coverage and lasting power but not so much about the color range. I´ve always struggled trying to find a perfect match for my complexion, as it is fair-medium with evident yellow undertones.
At my first attempt, I bought Natural Beige and mixed it with yellow eyeshadow. The results were a little darker than expected and slightly cakey if not blended enough with the yellow powder. At the second, I found Natural Ochre, which happened to be a perfect match.

Now, I use the darker shade just on the cheeks, were the hyperpigmentation is and the lighter shade to cover the rest of the face.

I use it over moisturizing sunscreen after it has set and depending on the coverage I need, I apply it with fingers -for light-medium/ coverage- or with a brush and set it with rose water, patting gently with a sponge -for medium/ full coverage-.

I still want to try Missha BB cream, Kevyn Aucoin Skin Enhancer and maybe this "new generation" tint foundations. If they are not good enough to match or surpass the results of this one, I will stay with this foundation as my HG.

on 3/21/2015 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

after my first day using this foundation, i'm really impressed with it. the coverage is surprisingly very buildable. one layer wasn't quite enough coverage for me so i put on another layer which gave me like medium-almost-full coverage. basically it evened out my skin tone really nicely and concealed most redness, but i still had to use concealer for my acne. i used the real techniques expert face brush to blend it in and it went on soooo smooth. nothing else i have used has made my face look so smooth and soft, especially considering how much of it i put on! the cream has such a beautiful texture. it's totally mattifying without looking dull. and it's very long-lasting; after setting with powder i have not had to blot or touch up all day, even though i have very oily skin and my makeup typically starts slipping around midday. this foundation is a little pricey in my opinion but it's incredible quality and you get a decent amount. the packaging is really nice too, it makes me feel a little fancy lol. overall just a great foundation, i'm so pleased with it.

Thank you lovely MUA reviewers for making it easier for me to pick the shade of this wonderfully whipped foundation! I browsed endless reviews and pictures to find my match. While I'm usually a classic ivory with Cover Girl, looks like Sand Beige does it for me with this particular foundation. I like it a lot! While this jar of enhancement is rich and creamy smooth, I like to apply it over my moisturizing cream Ziaja (Polish brand). This is usually office wear, I haven't spent a whole lot of time outdoors while wearing this foundation. My make-up stays put, doesn't get patchy and I don't see any weird color change either. Also, it's been holding up at the gym as well and that's after all day wear at the office. I apply it to medium coverage, though I can imagine one could take it up a notch. If I did do that, I think I might have to go a shade lighter to avoid looking like a mask wearer. I might repurchase, yes! If I don't, it will be because I like to browse and play and try new things.

on 3/10/2015 9:02:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Were to begin...I wanted to get this as it seemed more of a creamy moisturising foundation....and as someone who has alot of dry skin under the eyes and around mouth and chin....the worst places to get dry skin I think...I had high hopes for this whipped creamy foundation!
Colour wise I got nude....which depth of colour was fine on my fair/medium skin....but found it a little pink really...not a fan of them pink under tones on my skin!
I loved the way it felt on my skin..not tight or too matt...dewy really...but still found it left dry patches showing a bit more then I'd ideally like!
I'm going to try mac studio sculpt next in nc 15-20...with no mac stores near by its a guessing game with colour!
For now I will keep using whipped as its creamy..hydrating and not a totally bad colour...buff would have been better but they don't do buff in this revlon foundation!
If you have normal skin and like a natural dewy finish then this is a great foundation...but I have some acne scarring on my chin. ..so a concealer is needed ...it covers well...just not enough for me...its more a medium coverage....x

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Few comments:
Looking for my HG. Past month tried Estee Lauder light #3, Smashbox 15 (all 2 shades, way orange sad to say), Philosophy (both kinds preferred Miracle bc more coverage. #6), Kat, and my usual Mac NC30 Studio Fix. Most shades seemed slightly light. Not the SB. That was simply orange. Sad to say, wanted a long-wear and reviews on SB were awesome! Philosophy Miracle #6 was the choice. Liked it a lot (still do). Fortunately, or unfortunately, I was still OCD about a long-wear (and was secretly mourning SB being way orange).

Thoughts turned to Colorstay which I wore 18 years ago. OMG where did time go? Read reviews, they were great. Saw there was a new Whipped version. Hated to buy drugstore bc really wanted a treat and an HG!!

Recommendations color match for Mac NC30 (thank to MA poster who organized the color chart below) was Medium Beige in liquid (dry/normal) and Warm Golden in Whipped. Figured I would try both. I remember the liquids being slightly drying and knowing my skin is mote dry NOW I was thinking Whipped may be the way to go?

I also was told by friends all the matches I tried (above) were slightly light (???). Blended well with my neck but it seems my neck is a bit lighter than my chest and face. Therefore, I also bought True Beige in origional CS liquid dry and the next suggested yellow tone Whipped Natural Tan (match for NC 35-37).

Results: Origional liquid dry Medium Beige was SLIGHTLY light. Didn't debate the other shade I purchased bc I just felt it looked to dry on my 40s skin (runs dry) even with moisturizer underneath and Smashbox reg. primer.

Whipped: Soo nice! LOVE! Warm Golden was a TAD light (based on chest) and Natural Tan a tad dark (based on neck). Decided the Natural Tan was better (husband agreed). Went on easy. No issues. I read to go light vs heavy, use fingers (also will try a beauty sponge once I buy one) and layer if needed, once dried. Afraid for the "caked look" so I was careful.

WOW! Long lasting, nice medium to full coverage. Can say it was better than other foundations I had been trying/using lately. Need to get the opinion of my BFF before calling this my HG (who by the way said she liked my old Studio NC30 the best on me of all mentioned I tried above). I needed a change and wanted a long-wear so....BFFs biggest issue with the ones I tried were that they seemed "too light". Everybody who matched me coukdnt be wrong BUT they wwre lighter than my Mac NC30 (which did not look dark on me). This is the reason why I opted to go with Natural Tav vs. Warm Golden since I guess I am between the two shades. considered keeping both shades and mixing them together I did read it gets a little stick when older and my husband felt that wasn't necessary Natural Tan was a good match.

** not to complicate the issue, but for years I wore nc35. I thought it was a little dark tadddd and when I needed more, the Mac lady match me with NC30 and said it was better (but I suggested it so who knows). NC30 is good. Memory can not really remember NC35 bc it was several years ago.

LOVE IT! long lasting, is good for my dry, 40 skin, colors seem to match well, not dry looking (did NOT use setting powder, but did use primer SBox and moisturizer under).

Repost of chart Mac matches (thank u whoever did this!!) for reference:

Full Size Image

Picture of NC30, Warm Golden and Natural Tan on arm. Left top Warm Golden whipped, top right NatTan whipped and bottom is Mac NC30 Studio (yellower). The swatches are on thicker than wear on face.

Full Size Image

on 3/6/2015 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This stuff can be summarized in one word: Bulletproof.

For those who require more than a one word review:

I got this about 8 months ago, during my endless search for the perfect foundation. I've bought many foundations before, and many since, yet I kept coming back to the Revlon colorstay whipped. But no matter how many times I tried it, my opinion remained the same: meh. I just couldn't get it to work for my dry skin, and I really wanted to love it. Finally, about a month ago, I started crawling the Internet for reviews and demos about it. After a few days of experimentation, I finally found the secret to making this work and now I'm obsessed with it. It's all about how you prime and apply.

First of all, this cakes up badly if you try to apply it to dry, unmoisturized skin. It looks like a mask, it blends badly and it sits in pores. But if you moisturize well and prep with a good silicone based primer, you're golden.

The consistency reminds me of pudding. Or putty even. First I smooth a thin layer of the foundation over my skin. Putting one thick layer on is a sure fire way to achieve cake face. I let it dry for a bit, then I pat a second thin, even layer onto my face with my fingers and it just melts down into my skin like butter, giving a semi-matte kind of finish.

This stands up to heat, humidity and my extensive facial sweating for hours on end. It doesn't transfer and it doesn't oxidize. Like I said, bulletproof.

on 3/5/2015 7:30:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

HG for me.

I used to want something with maximum coverage, but as I get older I realize it just makes me look, well, older. I have been using this for a few years, loving the coverage, but recently decided to go lighter because the Retin A I'm using has improved my skin.

I now concentrate application on the center of my face (for me, my fingers are the best application) and sheer it out toward the edges of my face. I do have to use a mineral powder around my nose (broken capillaries) but it gives enough cover and still looks natural.

It's also the only foundation I can use if my face is peeling from an AHA peel (a high % peel) or overdoing it on the Retin A or other active that doesn't make my skin look truly terrible.

It has no sunscreen, which is a plus for me. I use Avobenzone in some sunscreens and some sunscreens in foundations make it unstable.

It's versatile - you can sheer it out or use a few layers for maximum coverage. I am guessing oily-skinned gals won't really care for it, though.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

One of my most favourite, if not a HG foundation. Discovered this 2 years ago and have been consistently using it since. I'm in the shade 240 Natural Beige. The texture is just what the name states: it's a whipped foundation, similar to a mousse but creamier. I use either a stippling or buffing brush to apply, and I find that a brush is the best and easiest way to work this in after dotting the product evenly on my face. Coverage is medium-full, and I usually don't feel the need to conceal after. I don't have any major blemishes, just some minor acne scarring, so one layer is usually enough. It will accentuate dry patches, so make sure to moisturize well prior. It has a lovely matte finish that doesn't leave my face looking flat. It keeps my oils at bay, and whatever peeks through only leaves a luminous finish. Regardless of the temperature (granted that it isn't in the extremes), this will wear beautifully throughout the day. I'd even say it just keeps looking better the longer I have it on. My only gripe is the packaging: the inside of the plastic lid has cracked on me numerous times and now it's just really awkward to close lol. Also the glass jar is extremely bulky and heavy, not travel friendly. Other than that, a great foundation!

on 3/3/2015 2:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Right now, this is the best one-step, full-coverage foundation I own.

My skin type: oily and acne-prone, with easily congested pores.

Preferred application method: I use a triangular wedge, the kind you can buy at any drugstore. I dampen it using water from my tap. I then take some of the CS and place it on the back of my hand. I dip the flat base of the wedge into the CS, and then stipple all over my face. This sets quickly, so I keep one of those buffing brushes nearby--I use the Sonia Kashuk Duo Fiber Multipurpose (whew, what a mouthful!), which I'm mentioning just so you can Google and see what kind of brush I'm talking about. So I'll stipple the CS over, say, my chin, then immediately buff with the brush. Then I repeat the process on my left cheek, right cheek, forehead, and nose. Buffing it in fills my pores, and kind of smooths out my skin texture. After all this, I set with powder.

Pros: This stuff DOES NOT BUDGE. For the record I hated liquid CS because it always caked up on me. The whipped CS does not, if I'm careful. I wore this foundation to Disney World last year. In 90+ weather. I sweated--oh, did I sweat. But my makeup did not budge. I blotted my sweaty face with tissues, and my skin looked glowy rather than a runny streaky hot mess. I have a lot of active blemishes and dark spots to cover up, and this'll do it.

Cons: It can cake in the sides on my nose and areas where I have blackheads. It also seems to ball up over my primer, so I have to go without. And, I always have to properly remove it--no lazy washing it off at night, or I'll get congested pores. I either use a cleansing balm followed by my regular cleanser, or I use my Clarisonic.

Overall: 4/5. 'Course, I'm waiting on my Etude House foundation to arrive so I can see if that outperforms this one, but for now, Whipped CS is my best DS bet to an almost flawless complexion.

on 3/1/2015 3:45:00 PM

This is the best full coverage foundation I've tried. As far as I know it does not contain sunscreen, so if you wear it during the daytime you'll have to use a separate ss.
It blends very easily using a damp BeautyBlender sponge, it is long wearing and doesn't oxidize throughout the day, and it doesn't irritate my skin or cause breakouts. My only minor complaint is about the jar container. It would be more sanitary if this came in a tube. I will definitely repurchase and I've recommended this foundation to several people, all of whom have really liked it.