September 21, 2014 | 1861 users online

Polishes - Sally Hansen - Magnetic

rated 2 of 5 on 12/10/2013 8:11:00 PM More reviews by indiebaby

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have this in copper.

It's okay, but nothing I would buy again. I really loved the color underneath, after the magnet applied. A medium/dark bronze with lots of red. However, this color quickly becomes muted as the colors merge into one another. The defined line created by the magnet that I liked instead turns blurry.

Has a slight 3D effect which was cool, but over-all look was very sloppy to me so that's mostly why I'm dissatisfied and giving this product a low rating.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2013 5:17:00 AM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was dubious about magnetic polishes. I mean, yeah, it looks cool, but so do a lot of things that turn out to be not so great. Then I picked up three of the Sally Hansen Magnetics in a special bundle (basically, got them all for the price of one at full price) and here we are.

I have to say, this is a pretty cool effect. The first hand that I did is not as good as the other hand, because it took me that long to work out how to manage the magnet, how much polish to put on, etc., but overall I have to say, well, yeah, this is pretty cool, and a really interesting look.

The polish on the nails and magnetised is a lot prettier than the way it looks in the bottle, I must say. I have Kinetic Copper, Golden Conduct (which is actually more of a bronze than a gold), and Red-y Response (more sort of plummy raspberry than red), and they're all very pretty. I particularly like the copper, but they're all pretty in their own way.

Some tips I managed to work out:

1) use a base coat, and let it dry completely
2) use a thin to medium first coat. Don't worry about making it even or nice; the second coat will fix it up
3) once the first coat is dry, work with ONE finger at a time
4) have the magnet nearby, put on a thick coat of the polish (seriously, do not skimp on it)
5) place the magnet so the rounded brace part is just below your cuticle
6) don't wiggle it around; it seems like a good idea to try to get the sides, but it just messes up the design
7) hold the magnet for at least ten seconds, though you can do it for longer if you're slightly obsessive as I tend to be ;)
8) if you mess up a nail (design doesn't take, you accidentally touch the magnet to the wet polish, etc.) you can repaint it and try again, though only once or it'll be way too thick
9) don't expect every nail to be precisely the same; part of the cool look is that they will have slightly different designs, even with the same magnet
10) when you finish, use a good top coat to really bring out the metallics in the polish

That's pretty much it. It does have a bit of a learning curve, but it's easier than a lot of nail techniques, and the end result is actually pretty cool.

Using this as an accent nail with coordinating other polish(es) would be a great way to use this. I'm already planning a mostly coppery manicure that uses the Kinetic Copper for accent nails. :)

I'm glad I overcame my innate skepticism to try these. I like them enough to order more colours, in fact.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2013 11:58:00 PM More reviews by bumblebrea

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have to admit, I had some doubts about purchasing this product but it was in a clearance section...so there was only about $4AUD involved, it was quite hard to resist that deal!
As soon as I got it home I tried it out and was very impressed! the colour is very nice ( I purchased #903 Silver Elements) And the magnet worked perfectly! I would advise that if yours didn't work, you either read through the instructions slowly and carefully (because they aren't that clear) and retry until you get it right, or taking it back to the store you got it from either for assistance with the product or to return it. But I really do hope that you keep trying until you get it right because the finished product looks cool and edgy!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2013 10:16:00 PM More reviews by LIPGLOSSADDICT1025

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Okay, people. Check your local Dollarama for this stuff. Don't pay $10, pay only $2. (No, I'm not advertising but it;s where I got mine.)
What I expect in a polish:
-Fast drying
-Two coats and it's opaque
-Pretty colour
-Convenient packaging
Did this polish meet my expectations?
-Yes. The polish was fast drying and I put it on half an hour ago and I can type, most polishes take an hour or two for me to trust them.
-Yes! It only takes one coat and it's opaque; it's beautiful.
-Yes. The colour is absolutely gorgeous( I bought Graphite Gravity )
-The packaging is very convenient with the nice length of the brush and the strength of the magnet. The cap is very easy to hold in your hands.

If people review this as a bad product here is what you do:
-Shake the bottle before each and every nail you paint. Apply a thin coat and let dry completely.
-Apply a nice thick coat (not really thick, maybe just more than an average polish)
-Quickly grab the magnet and place the guide mabob thing and let the magnet sit on your cuticles while you slowly turn it so all of the nail is covered, then remove after about 10-20 seconds of slow turning. Next nail; repeat as described in the past two steps.

I don't see why people hate this product! They have nice colours and it works fine, maybe you picked up a bad bottle. Retry it! It's really cool!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2013 4:37:00 PM More reviews by melaniemallette

Didn't work for me so I simply used it as just a nail color lol
This nail polish killed me
I was so dissapointed

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2012 9:02:00 PM More reviews by mom2go

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Today, after installing a medicine cabinet -- drilling, screwdriving, spackling, etc., I stopped to admire my chip-free manicure. After 3 full days of hard wear, not one chip. The polish is Sally Hansen's Magnetic in Kinetic Copper -- a lovely true dark copper color that is enhanced by magnetic wavy lines.

I'm new to magnetic polish, and there is definitely a learning curve. One thing I learned: all magnets are not created equal. The u-shaped one from China Nail Glaze barely, barely worked for me. However, the SH one worked fine.

If you're having problems getting the magnetic pattern to set, check out some of the excellent videos on You Tube. The magnetic polish requires a thick coat to show off the magnetic effect best, and that is contrary to everything I've been taught about applying nail color. I also think a nice top coat -- like Seche Vite -- makes all the difference.

continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2012 3:42:00 AM More reviews by earvizo92

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It's so great. I love love it. The whole idea is awesome they don't all one out perfect the first time bt it take practice to get te ang of it. For its first time out its not bad at all . Some are great bt need some changes. They nailed it with the first try, recommend to everyone of all ages! Can't wait to go out and get more!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2012 1:02:00 PM More reviews by redangel21

I really like this nail polish. It is so easy to apply! I did my nails in about 10 minutes or less.

However, they didn't last very long, only about 4 days :( I think that may have had something to do with the top coat I used though.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2012 9:03:00 PM More reviews by buffydog15

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I was surprised by all the negative reviews on this product! I actually like it... I have it in Red-y Response which I actually think is a little purple-y but I think it is still pretty. The brush is nice too. The only problems I have with it are that it settles really bad-- if you don't use it for a while, it takes forever to get it to mix again. It also chips off pretty quickly but with how often I re-paint my nails it doesn't bother me. I think it is worth a shot at least...

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2012 5:20:00 PM More reviews by judywapner

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a review of the Silver Elements colour. (it matches everything!)

If applied correctly, this polish gives a really pretty effect. In the Silver Elements colour, it gives a sparkly gun metal grey colour, with waves throughout. Very rock chick or glam.

I apply a clear base coat first, dry, then one coat of this, dry, then (do this part on each nail, one at a time) another heavier coat AND THEN immediately use the included magnet do-dad thing to create the waves. I put the "lip" thing at my cuticle and rock it around my nail to get the edges, ten seconds of this and it looks amazing! (be careful not to let the magnet touch the nail, though, or your hard work will be ruined!) Then, after I do each nail, clear top coat.

This lasts a long time, I wear it like this for almost 2 weeks without chipping. Drys very nice, no bubbles or bumps, very smooth.

I DOES cost quite a bit more than I am used to paying for a bottle of drug store polish, at $9.99, but the effect is incredible, I get so many compliments on it, and it looks very grown up.

I have only tried this colour and am hesitant to buy the others, only because not all nail polish looks good on everyone, due to skin colouring. My advice, try them in the store if no one is looking...not worth it to risk buying them and then hating the colour. Or buy from walmart and return it if you hate it (walmart takes EVERYTHING back).

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No