October 26, 2014 | 1055 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - SOHO Beauty Sponge

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2014 6:31:00 PM More reviews by Susan2148A

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

First of all, I'm reviewing the SOHO sponge that's white with pink streaks. Since the pink one is the only one I'm finding on MUA, I'm thinking my pink/white one is different only in color. I hate this sponge. I normally use CoverGirl's white wedge sponges because they're be best I've found anywhere, but my WalMart was out, so I decided to try this. It was the last one, so I had high hopes. I dampened it, put it in a towel to squeeze out excess moisture and tried to apply my Coverall foundation with it with no luck. I dotted the foundation on my face with my finger, then used the sponge to "stipple" (for lack of a better word) -- to dot the foundation around, then I tried to spread the foundation and blend it using the sponge. The sponge soaked up most of the foundation and didn't redeposit it. It is very firm/hard and really does nothing to aid in the application of cream foundation. It seemed to soak up the foundation and hold onto it. I had to apply more foundation and blend it with a brush. I paid less than $5 for the sponge, so it wasn't like spending $20, but I hate nothing worse than to buy a product that turns out to be a useless waste of money.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2014 7:41:00 PM More reviews by katellnxoxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

First off this is NOT a beauty blender, so you can't try to compare the two. However, this is a wonderful makeup sponge, you can use it yet or dry (I like it better dry). It does have a strong smell when you take it out of the package so I do recommend washing it lightly before first use. It is very dense and holds up to a substantial amount of use. I've seen a lot of people having problems with them falling apart after a few washes, It's due to the moisture breaking down the latex. My advice, don't over wash, and keep it in water as little as possible. The quality is great, and it does everything it should do. You get great coverage with minimal product with this sponge and you can't beat it for $5, I grabbed mine at Walmart. Would recommend and will repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/5/2014 11:12:00 PM More reviews by Lorax99

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought one of these about a year ago and loved it. It was very durable and easy to use. After a while they do break down. So a few weeks ago I went and bought another. They changed the way they use to be and now its like dabbing your face with solid brick of concrete and sucks. It is not very absorbent and doesn't blend anything well. I don't care if it was only $4.50. They use to make one of the best makeup sponges. But now its just a waste of money.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/1/2014 12:19:00 PM More reviews by KindalCookie34

I really love the original model of this sponge (the basic pink one), but I absolutely HATE the newer, pink and white striped one. The newer make is firmer, and not pleasantly textured at all, making it hard to even apply foundation smoothly. I have washed it several times, tried kneeding it to loosen it up, and have tried to like applying foundation with it and nothing works. The older make is much better. It squishier, feels nicer in your hands, and applies like a dream. PLEASE SOHO, bring the old sponge back.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2014 12:41:00 PM More reviews by Kocando

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SPONGE!!! I usually airbrush my face because I hate the way my face looks with regular application all caked up and my fine lines show up within hours even after applying powder after trying this product I look just as good with this sponge with half the effort and time! I recommend this sponge for those of us low budget beauties i love how it makes my foundation go on FLAWLESSLY and with half the product I would regularly use with a brush the only thing is the shape its kind of hard to grasp the sponge sometimes but it doesn't really take away from the great quality plus 1/4 the price of the B-Blender great deal.!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2014 8:14:00 PM More reviews by MissLerina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

PROS

- soft
- shape
- bouncy
- easy to clean

CONS

- sheer coverage
- tears easily
- doesn't last

COMMENTS: This is very soft and bouncy, but tears quite easily and sheers out foundation too much. It does work amazingly for the under eye area due to its shape, but I don't like the way the sides of the sponge blends my foundation. I prefer to use the pointed corners only as I get more bounce during application. This works best if misted with a setting spray or water, but not completely soaked as I like to have more coverage out of my products. Overall, not worth it. I got less than a month's use before there was a huge tear and it only worsened after each wash.

Will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2014 9:46:00 PM More reviews by MagnoliaState

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Great dupe for Beauty Blender! Like many others mine developed a small tear within first week but that hasn't affected it's functionality though. I would purchase again.

EDIT: I also tried the RT Sponge. I like the SOHO better. The SOHO doesn't soak up as much product and gives more coverage. RT was soaking up too much and making my foundation look too sheer. The RT is much softer than the SOHO sponge and easier to wash since it soaks up more water/soap.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2014 9:34:00 PM More reviews by BeatFaceBeauty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this thing! It gives me perfect airbrushed,flawless, even coverage with my BB cream or foundation and concealer, I need to be able to build my products up to full coverage due to hyper pigmentation and this sponge is the best at doing what I need. In the past I have used my Sonia Kashuck synthetic flat top, Sigma duo fiber step long brush/F50 and for heavier application Sigma F60(Typical liquid foundation brush) they all work very well but I feel like this sponge is the best :) The end result is just so beautiful. I have not had any problems with the sponge ripping easily like some other reviewers, I've used it about 8 times so far and washed it about 5, it is stained from my products but I personally dont mind. I picked this up for about $5 at Wal-mart, and will pick up a few backups the next time I'm there. I say you should at least try it before you buy one of the more expensive sponges, you might like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2014 10:46:00 PM More reviews by dbnsjsmom

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I saw all this craziness going on about the beauty blender thingy-muh-bob, and being eternally tight-fisted I had no intention of spending big bucks for a glorified makeup sponge. I found this bad boy at Wal-mart for under $5, so I snatched it up. (I have mild Rosacea and a touch of adult acne to boot, so I wanted to use this to help me get better coverage with my foundation.)

All I can say after using the SOHO Beauty Sponge is that I absolutely, positively LOVE it! My foundation looks so much more consistent, I can more heavily cover the more unsightly spots that pop up (without the extra concealer.....BONUS!!!), and I don't use nearly as much foundation as I used to when I applied it with my fingers. It's durable and washes easily. (I use baby shampoo, FYI.)

Basically, if you need better coverage or just want to give the whole "Beauty Blender" thing a shot without spending a fortune, BUY THIS NOW!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/28/2013 7:00:00 PM More reviews by SusieQSusieQ

Poor Quality Sponge

The sponge worked fine to apply my concealor and foundation. But it tore after only 3 washes!

Ridiculous waste of $8.00 (purchased from Walgreens). I will NOT purchase again but in the meantime I'll try to make the darn thing last as long as possible to get my money's worth.