September 21, 2014 | 1795 users online

Hair - Shea Moisture - Organic African Black Soap Purification Masque

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2014 1:43:00 PM More reviews by janeen83

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I decided to give this a try when Sally Beauty had a buy 2 get 1 free sale on this line of products. I initially loved the ingredients and the fact that it's for dry itchy scalp since I've been having some dandruff. This product is truly amazing! I have long hair and so I put a good amount of it on my hair, really concentrating on my scalp. I left it on for 25 minutes and then rinsed with a little shampoo and conditioner. My hair felt so clean, soft, healthy, bouncy and shiny. Yes, all of those things! I am truly impressed. It really does purify your hair, getting all products, oil, and residue out. That's how it feels anyway. I would definitely recommend!
I put just three lipstick rating for the packaging because I would like it better if it came in a pump style packaging. It's just my preference.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/5/2014 11:37:00 AM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

As much as I truly love Shea Moisture and hate to bring down the ratings on this product, I just have to be honest. Their African Black Soap Purification Masque really didn't do much of anything for me at all. I wanted so bad to love it as much as everyone else seems to!
While I can admit that it DID make my scalp feel just the slightest bit cleaner and less itchy after using it, I never reaped any of the moisturizing benefits others describe having. Maybe it's the kaolin clay or the salicylic acid? Each time I used this masque I experiemented with it to see if perhaps I could gain better results from using it a different way. I tried it after co-washing, before co-washing, before shampooing, after shampooing, on it's own, with heat, without heat, wet hair, damp hair- you name it! Needless to say, I never really garnered a different result or anything even remotely close to the heavenly reaction others have had. It's almost as though my hair refused to absorb it at all and sometimes the masque almost made it seem a little bit more dry and stiff than before.
Considering that this masque doesn't necessarily tout it's self as being ultra moisturizing, I'm not sure that it's even really right to judge it this way but I really can't personally recommend it for the reasons others love it. Though I did really love the banana scent it had...
Another thing: The consistency of this masque is quite runny and thin. If you've got thick and/or long hair, it may not be the best investment for you. I want to say that I got maybe 6 uses out of it in all which for me in it's self didn't jusitfy the price and the fact that I had to go across town to find a Walgreens that carried it.
If you're on the hunt for a reasonably priced silicone free deep conditioner, I might try it out considering that your options for products that can be found easily 'on the ground' in mass retailers are quite slim. Hell, I'm even still searching! But maybe you'll like this one as much as everyone else does?

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2014 10:07:00 AM More reviews by janmarbol1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Review is for shampoo and mask, as well. I also bought the conditioner and I like it as well.

This DOES what it claims. I was losing hair in patches and had itchy, flaky scalp. I went to the doctor and he said that I had patch psoriasis. Since I also have non-celiac gluten sensitivity I scrambled to get a gluten free shampoo (had been using the expensive infomercial shampoo, which left my hair great but had WHEAT in it, hence the consequences)

This shampoo and mask not only calmed my scalp immediately, it works on my face and has cleared my complexion without drying it, leaving it smooth and pores less open, so blackheads are gone too! Wut! I'm so sold.

The scent isn't great but it's not awful and I have problems with strong scents, so if I tolerate it, most people will. It's not overwhelmingly sweet.

My hair grew back, thank you very much, and my scalp no longer itches or gets red! And the mask is spectacular... Very soothing.

That said, I have been using it for a couple of months and my hair did turn straw-like. So today I went to get their other shampoos, masks and conditioners, which are also gluten free to repair my hair now that my scalp calmed down.

Overall, I love that this line is natural, vegan, etc... I know I'm not putting poison on my head which your entire body absorbs. I'm very happy to have found it.

I'm not sure if this line is meant for "ethnic hair" and I see some of it is to transition to "natural" hairstyle, but I am Caucasian with a 2b type curl, frizzy and blonde. Just wanted to add that in case someone has questions as to if it is just for one type hair. It's not. It works just as well.

The price is reasonable too! I have no complaints in that it does what it's meant to do! Please don't go out of business, b/c every time I find something I love, it disappears from the market. I'm not changing lines any time soon. Thanks

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2013 10:23:00 PM More reviews by akeelahb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used this as a pre-poo. My hair was cleansed!! I didn't need to follow with a cleansing cowash. My hair was soft and not squeaky clean. I followed with herbal essences long term relationship conditioner and aphogee 2 minute reconstructor. Then deep conditioned with Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner. Girllllll girl girl... My new "protein" wash routine! Definitely recommend this! The smell is... Ehh. But it goes away by the time you finish styling :-)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2013 12:05:00 PM More reviews by AyoC

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This has become my staple! I have 4c or b hair idk really coily! This is my answer to detangling OMG! I always use with a hooded dryer tho that helps with deep conditioning- softening. You won't regret this. My hair is clean and moisturized and not dry! No itchy scalp either! Definitely repurchasing. I alternate ever other week with ORS hair Mayonnaise.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2013 1:09:00 AM More reviews by ellie8811

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Detangles my hair like a dream. Used as a pre poo, cleanser and deep conditioner and it's amazing for all of them. Smells like very ripe bananas.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2013 11:58:00 AM More reviews by 4ever29

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am blown away by this!! It does my hair like no other product has, and I have used everything, including half left of the uber expensive kerastase chronologiste treatment. My hair is unruly, frizzy, dry and parched. I use straight oils on my hair just to give it some moisture. This July heatwave has just left me wanting to shave it all off, its the humidity
that just wrecks my hair. Well I had NO hopes for this AT ALL. I can not believe my
hair has just been silky smooth and shiny, EVEN with all this humidity. This is truly a
miracle in a jar!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2013 12:26:00 AM More reviews by XoXoSinCity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This line blows me away. This mask is one of many amazing products I have been using for my fine dry wavy hair. I have used masks 5 x the cost with less results. You get so much products and smells amazing, somewhat like bubble gum oddly lol. Even though my hair is dry and pouffy by nature I have oily prone roots so love all the purifying ingredients in this mask and tried it as figured it wouldn't weigh my hair down. I have no complaints as its super lush/creamy and leave my hair and scalp feeling strong. My one and only problem is that this has less detangling effect that the shampoo which is insane to me. My hair is very tangle prone hence my I need a conditioner or mask to help and not a fan that a rich mask leaves my hair tangled when I rinse it out no matter how long I leave it in. I will definitely try out the other masks in the line and hope they aren't too heavy for my hair type and smell half as good as this one. So great benefits but no slip for someone with fine hair, can't imagine for thick curly hair. The jar will last me forever but doubt I would repurchase due to the tangle factor which is the main purpose of conditioning to being with. I also wish more companies would make masks in tubes as it would be way more hygienic and easy to deal with in the shower.
UPDATE 6/17/13: Have to bump up my rating on this as honestly it is still my favorite mask from the line even though it doesn't give me the slip I want in a conditioner/mask. I still use it in the shower on occasion but actually starting using it as a pre-shampoo scalp/hair treatment and really love it even more in this manner since it is so creamy and smells heavenly. It is much easier to use than typically greasy messy oils as a pre-treatment which are a nightmare to apply on your scalp on dry hair. Can't say enough how impressed I continue to be with all the Shea Moisture products I have tried from body washes, shave products, and hair items.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2012 12:51:00 PM More reviews by desha

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Really like this masque. But I prefer it as a pre-poo for some reason, followed with a gentle cleansing shampoo like SM Moisture Retention Shampoo or Herb'n'Life Royal Rinse(which I am in love with at the moment, though not in love with ordering it online.) Leaves the hair soft and with a purified feeling. What I don't like about this is the price, the amount you get for the price and the packaging. It's time that natural hair companies realize that a lot of kinky curly women have a LOT of hair. I am one. When I first bc'd this product could have lasted at least 6 months. Now my hair is inching to chin length and this will not last 3 shampoos. As a result, I have not purchased in a while. There's got to be a way for companies to give us more product at a reasonable price without compromising quality. But if you are newly natural with short hair, this product is worth the $$ and will help you ease into your natural hair routine. I don't recommend using it every shampoo. Alternate with deep conditioning.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2012 8:24:00 AM More reviews by ljoseph29

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This deep conditioner makes my natural hair feel so soft and moisturized! I loved how easily my hair detangled and it smells delicious like plaintains and green tea. The only thing I didn't like about the product was that it felt runny and had a bit too much water applied. It was pretty messy but I realized a little goes a long way if you section your hair and spray it on with a spray bottle. This stuff works waay better than the coconut hibiscus smoothie and the shea butter deep treatment masque. I will definitely buy this again!