September 19, 2014 | 1042 users online

Polishes - Quo - Quo by Orly Nail Polish - The Blue Box

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2013 11:28:00 AM More reviews by mellynnmac

Favourite Quo polish by far. Beautiful Tiffany Blue colour and amazing lasting power. Because its a lacquer rather than an enamel I find that the colour lasts much longer without chips between manicures, Well worth the price of 10 dollars at SDM

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/10/2012 2:44:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Product's Claims: True or False?
1) Fast drying: True
2) Long lasting: True
3) High gloss: True

Packaging:
The polish has a long black rubberized handle with a slight inward curvature. The bottle is clear glass with four distinct edges - these and their corners are rounded off - and there is a bit of roundness to each of the sides. These design features make the bottle very comfortable to hold in my hand while opening and the opening of the bottles is very easy overall. You can find the name of the polish on a sticker on the bottom of the bottle, and there's a large white Q stamped on the top of the cap. Where the packaging lacks a bit is in the brush. It works well for me but the brush overall does look a bit cheap in comparison to the rest of the bottle as the bristles are not cut evenly (some bottles are more pronounced than others in this, but they all seem to have that same unevenness). This doesn't seem to affect application for me. The brush is long and slender, but I feel like it's just slightly too slender for its length and could benefit from a bit of added width, but overall I have no issues with applying polishes from this brand with its brush.

Formula:
Based on the name, it's easy to see that the colour is supposed to be interpreted as a Tiffany blue. I've never seen the colour in person but looking at colour blocks online I would say that the polish is very similar to the intended shade. It has a bit more mintiness to it, perhaps slightly darker. In the bottle it looks more like a pastel/mint seafoam blueish green and shows up darker and bluer on the nail. It's very similar to Essie Turquoise & Caicos but bluer and slightly darker. It's a cream finish and a completely opaque formula. Its consistency, while workable, is also thick and can go on unevenly. For the most part this isn't that noticeable but the polish goes on much nicer with some thinning (and the difference between pre- and post-thinning in the final mani is definitely noticeable to me). Both pre- and post-thinning the first layer goes on almost streaky, but it's more like little gaps in the polish due to the brush going against the nail, and within a few seconds those gaps fill up. I was able to get opaque coverage in two coats. While it's much easier to use thinned it does show nail ridges more than with its original consistency. Dry-time for the brand is always fast for me and this colour is no exception. Overall, once thinned out it has a great consistency and formula - but because many people purchase polishes and use them as-is my rating will be reflecting the original consistency.

Wear time:
I get good wear from the polish. No chipping but I do get some tip wear - nothing more than I get with all of my polishes. I could probably wear it for more than a week and not get significant tip wear.

Bang for your Buck:
14ml/0.48 oz for $10.00CAD at Shoppers Drug Mart. This is definitely a pricier offering, although most who shop at Shoppers will know that Shopper's brands are often on the pricier side compared to other drug stores. Seems to be similar in price and product amount as brands such as OPI, so it's definitely not a big splurge.

Final Consensus:
Although its formula is one of the weaker of the ones I've so far tried of the brand, the colour is pretty enough for me to look past those issues (especially since you can easily thin it out). I'm unsure if the original Orly brand carries the same colour but because there are only three Sally's locations in the city, none of which are easily accessible to me in the way Shoppers is, I'm willing to pay a little more for the colour. I don't know how widely available this colour is right now as it was the only bottle left at that location and it was not with the rest of the display but in its own little display with a few other new colours.
* Overall Rating: 4/5