Estee Lauder Sumptuous BoldVolume Lifting Mascara

3.0

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I am familiar with Estee Lauder Sumptuous Extreme mascara and love it. This was my first time trying this version. This mascara looks kind of ordinary. The brush is average, not too big or too small and the mascara formula itself is the same, not too wet or too dry. This mascara is really nice though. It definitely lives up to its name of Bold Volume Lifting Mascara. This gives just the right blend of length and volume to my lashes. I had no smudge issues with this which is great because I wear contacts. I only have an issue with it being a little too expensive that I would not splurge on it very often.

on 12/15/2014 2:34:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

I got a GWP sample version of this mascara and at first I loved it.

Here are the good things.

Great volume, no clumping. Smooth creamy formula goes on easily and much thicker than my Clump Crusher by Cover Girl which is my favourite. Lashes look lush. Even though it's a brush it doesn't clump and the brush makes an even smooth clump free application.

It had my attention! Even at 29$ Canadian this is a good mascara I thought.

Even has an elegant SLIM gold and black tube that looks sophisticated and doesn't take up half my purse makeup bag! This is something I would LOVE Cover Girl to make but their formula is so good it's worth the juvenile disgusting clunky heavy tube in violent neon green.

SO WHAT HAPPENED NEXT?

Flakes big and small began raining down my cheeks and creating panda circles under my eyes, enhancing my bags!

I get 4 hours wear before the flaky fallout begins so I may yet buy a tube just for evenings out but for all day wear forget it.

And once the fallout begins after 4 hours, i get an itchy heavy feeling in my lashes so I also start wanting to rub my eyes. NOT GOOD! And the flakes land in my eyes irritating them too. I don't wear contacts but I can't imagine this is a good thing for people who do.

If I was the kind of person who washes everything off midday and does a full fresh makeup this would work, BUT I'm not.

I expect a mascara of ANY price to go the distance. Stay on the lashes all day then come off without much effort. Clump Crusher does that. It set the standard. This takes extra rubbing and scrubbing to get it all off and I'm still finding more when I use my toner and cotton pad after cleansing which I shouldn't be.

I love Estee L for some things, others I save my money and buy a cheaper better item elsewhere.

on 12/4/2014 5:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Smudges very fast, adds a bit clumpy look. Not a fan of Estee Lauder products.
But EL glosses are even worst, so this one is not that bad.

on 7/30/2014 5:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm sad to read all these bad reviews, cause I can't relate to them.
My experience is above average.

I have long natural lashes (maybe the mascara is better for those with long lashes??)

Well.. The mascara lifts my lashes, and they stay lifted all day. It makes them fuller. It doesn't sting my eyes and it doesn't smudge after a long hot day. Furthermore it doesn't flake under eyes.
And it is easy to remove.

My only concern:
The mascara tends to clump a little when applying, (just a tiny bit) but it is fixable.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Got this as a gwp, it does no favors for my lashes. Its very natural looking unlike what its name claims.

on 5/24/2014 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

i am surprise that it has not got good reviews. it is very good. easy to apply, buildable even after the prior application of mascara has dried out. no clumping. non drying.

on 5/19/2014 8:25:00 PM

I got this in GWP which is a good thing because if I paid for it, I wouldn't have been happy. This is fairly average mascara-it reminded me of Definicils by Lancôme-it does define and separate lashes but that's about it. It doesn't give volume or adds much length to the lashes. I wouldn't buy it

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

Did not have any lifting effect on me. Descent volume. Smudges very slightly by the end of the day.

on 11/14/2013 9:29:00 AM

I had high hopes for this mascara so I was thrilled when I got a sample size in a GWP. Unfortunately this is just an average mascara, with nothing about it that makes me want to go out and buy it. I have had much better mascaras from Cover Girl.

The formulation is quite thick and coats the lashes. One coat is enough to give volume and a little curl (but not much curl and it doesn't last) but can also get clumpy very easily. I do find that this smudges under my eyes by the end of the day (and I do prefer waterproof formulations, which this is not) and for this reason I wouldn't buy this again. I am also considering not finishing the GWP tube that I have. I don't want high maintenance mascara that has me checking my makeup throughout the day.

on 9/14/2013 4:41:00 PM

Received as a GWP. Disappointing - did very little for my lashes. I'm also not a fan of Estee Lauder Blue/Gold packaging. Wouldn't rebuy.

Popular Mascaras